The Black Church & Missions?

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I happen to be friends with a lot of Christians who want to be missionaries and Bible translators in other countries, all of whom are white. And without fail, I have had the same conversation with all of them about the same issue: Western Imperialism.

They all express concern about their ability to be a good missionary because they are afraid of imposing Western culture on the different peoples to whom they will be bringing the Gospel. I try to encourage them and tell them that I think they're making it too complicated. But I think that they are conscious of being white and the fact that they have been raised to believe that their way is culturally superior.

I can't help them with that personal dilemma, but it always leads me to ask whether black churches are involved enough in global missions. People who are minorities themselves don't learn to be culturally imperialistic and therefore should be better able to understand the difference between what is culturally contextual and what is essential to the Gospel. Moreover, given the history of Western colonialism, black missionaries can better relate as brothers and sisters instead of as former colonizers in some places.

Basically, given that seminaries all over are trying to figure out how to address this "problem" b/w white missionaries and indigenous peoples, I say more black churches should step in to do this work. (Of course black churches already do missions, but it's a question of degree.)

What do you think? Agree? Disagree? And is the "black church" in general outward focused enough to take up this call?

PinkPebbles

I believe the spirit of God draws all men unto Him at an appointed time.
Everyone is not led to go everywhere whether black or white. Those who are called to go abroad and do missionary work will go. Most of the Black churches that I'm aware of has a missionary ministry; it's just not televised.

I probably didn't answer your question but this is just my opinion on missionary work:)

skatergurljubulee

I happen to be friends with a lot of Christians who want to be missionaries and Bible translators in other countries, all of whom are white. And without fail, I have had the same conversation with all of them about the same issue: Western Imperialism.

They all express concern about their ability to be a good missionary because they are afraid of imposing Western culture on the different peoples to whom they will be bringing the Gospel. I try to encourage them and tell them that I think they're making it too complicated. But I think that they are conscious of being white and the fact that they have been raised to believe that their way is culturally superior.

I can't help them with that personal dilemma, but it always leads me to ask whether black churches are involved enough in global missions. People who are minorities themselves don't learn to be culturally imperialistic and therefore should be better able to understand the difference between what is culturally contextual and what is essential to the Gospel. Moreover, given the history of Western colonialism, black missionaries can better relate as brothers and sisters instead of as former colonizers in some places.

Basically, given that seminaries all over are trying to figure out how to address this "problem" b/w white missionaries and indigenous peoples, I say more black churches should step in to do this work. (Of course black churches already do missions, but it's a question of degree.)

What do you think? Agree? Disagree? And is the "black church" in general outward focused enough to take up this call?

Being that I went on a Missions trip to Panama for a month and was the only black person to go from my church, I hope I can spread some insight.

In theory, it would seem that being black would help in the long run with missions. And, I guess it couldn't hurt. But being that being a missionary is not easy work AT ALL, it's more about the type of person that goes versus what color they are.
When I was in Panama, I being black did help things a little. People would help us if we needed it, but they would've anyway (we looked like Americans so it's universally assumed we're rich). When I spoke my three words of spanish (and I spoke them like a native lol "children", "hello", and "thank you") they always thought that I spoke spanish and start going fast and when they realized that half the white folks in our little group spoke more spanish than I knew, they kinda :ohwell: :nono: at me and pretty much ignored me.
I was also told that they don't see many missionaries that are "brown" like me, and they had a lot of questions for me (why aren't there more of people like you- being the cheif question).

When it came down to it, it was God that paved the way and race and all that mess didn't matter when God was knocking on the door of their hearts.
I hope that when I go to on more missions there will be more blacks coming with me. It kind of irritates me when I get strange looks ( :perplexed:ohwell::nono::sad::rolleyes:)for saying that I enjoyed living in grass huts and bathing in the river or seeing native marriage/female adulthood ceremonies and the interest dies when I say I didn't go to Africa. God loves us all and he wants ALL his children with him in heaven.
I know that there are black churches that have big mission outreaches, but I'd wish someone would let me in on where some are.

msa

This is an interesting topic. My church established a church in Liberia, and my pastor is actually there visiting right now.

Part of me wholly believes it's required of all of us, black and white, to spread the word as far as we can. But then the other part of me feels like we shouldn't be spreading our limited resources so thin when we have so much work that needs to be accomplished in our own city/state/country.

I guess I'm undecided on the issue.

BeautifulFlower

I know that there are black churches that have big mission outreaches, but I'd wish someone would let me in on where some are.

My church has established church all over the world. My pastor is also the pastor of many ministers across the nation and world. We have a large missions outreach and participate in a ton of community based stuff geared to spread the Good News. Of course we can do this because it a large church (10,000 plus members).

If you wanna know about the next mission trip, FBCGlenarden.org

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I believe the spirit of God draws all men unto Him at an appointed time.
Everyone is not led to go everywhere whether black or white. Those who are called to go abroad and do missionary work will go. Most of the Black churches that I'm aware of has a missionary ministry; it's just not televised.

This is why I try to tell them that they are worrying too much. If the Lord has called them to go, and they present the Gospel in the right spirit, then the Lord will bless that.

But it really is considered to be a problem by "missiologists."

Part of me wholly believes it's required of all of us, black and white, to spread the word as far as we can. But then the other part of me feels like we shouldn't be spreading our limited resources so thin when we have so much work that needs to be accomplished in our own city/state/country.

I guess I'm undecided on the issue.

This is what makes me wonder whether there isn't more room for the black church on the whole to do more, or whether most black churches tend to be more concerned with the issues going on within the black community.

Almaz

I am not Christian but I am from a country in Africa that has an established Christian Church longer than any European Country. But when I talk to my Ethiopian and Eritrean, Egyptian Orthodox and Copt Christian Friends that I grew up with they told me that they hated missionaries because they were white and was trying to tell THEM about Jesus read the bible in the language that Jesus spoke and had Christianity down pat when most of their ancestors at the time of Jesus were living in Caves scribbling horses on walls.

Again they thought it was just a case of White Expansionism not religion. They were like don't come here we don't need you. Go to Europe where they real heathens live and proslytise to them and leave us REAL OLD 2,000 year old Christian families alone. You are the new kids on the block. We have ALWAYS been Christian and we dont' need YOu people from America or Europe to try and change us for what? We are already Christians real Old christians.

Okay I can understand where they are coming from. They do have some valid points.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I am not Christian but I am from a country in Africa that has an established Christian Church longer than any European Country. But when I talk to my Ethiopian and Eritrean, Egyptian Orthodox and Copt Christian Friends that I grew up with they told me that they hated missionaries because they were white and was trying to tell THEM about Jesus read the bible in the language that Jesus spoke and had Christianity down pat when most of their ancestors at the time of Jesus were living in Caves scribbling horses on walls.

Again they thought it was just a case of White Expansionism not religion. They were like don't come here we don't need you. Go to Europe where they real heathens live and proslytise to them and leave us REAL OLD 2,000 year old Christian families alone. You are the new kids on the block. We have ALWAYS been Christian and we dont' need YOu people from America or Europe to try and change us for what? We are already Christians real Old christians.

Okay I can understand where they are coming from. They do have some valid points.

I laughed out loud. That'd be Copts, for sure! They are so oppressed in Egypt. They recently massacred several priests/monks. Awful. They do not trust anybody and I can certainly comprehend why they act as they do.

Father was certainly SUSPECT of us newbies ....he did the Egyptian slide in the holy of holies....sideways very slowly, stopped, looked again ahahahaha! Their liturgy is so old, directly from St. Mark. It's unchanged. Incredible. And in Coptic, Arabic and English. I wished people would appreciate it rather than attempt to change them. I had a conversation with an evangelical guy recently on that issue. He couldn't see why they didn't want them there in Ethiopia and Egypt. You can only explain so much before talking to a brick wall. It's history and interpretation...and judgment as well. Sad really. Christians should unite rather than divide amongst themselves.

Last edited: