THE BRAID IT UP 2011 CHALLENGE -anyone?

Ladybelle

Hey ladies!! :wave:
Anyone interested in a

BRAID IT UP 2011 CHALLENGE??

The challenge is pretty simple: keep your hair in braids for the year of 2011. It doesn't matter how you do it, you can cornrow it & wear wigs, you can get extensions, you can kinky twist it, it really doesn't matter.

I need some accountability/challenge partners in my quest to get past SL.

For me,the crown & glory method works the best. If you don't know about the crown & glory method, see here.

To join the challenge please list the following:

-why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it.
-current length
-goal length
-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful (which is why I posted the crown & glory link up there ^^^) :rolleyes:
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing
-your start date
-you can do before & after pics if you want, but this is optional.

Start Date: January 1, 2011 (if you want to go ahead & get your braids put in December, that's fine)

End Date: December 1, 2011 (if you want to go to the end of December to make it a full 12 months, that's fine.)

Come on ladies, you know you want to join me!! :yep:

Challenger List
2tonza4fun
Aa9746
austro-afrikana
bibirocks
bibirockz
carisa
coco8257
kusare
ladybelle
meowmix
mizavalon
nappystorm
naturallysweet73
phaer
shunemite
bluetopia
cherrylicious2010
chiquitita
classydiva
Curlidiva
Damagedbutnotout
darkchyld
eclecticmaybe
evallusion
ezina
freshstart101
gvin89
ineedofhelptx
jalen0216
jerseygurl
kusare
ladyesqyure
ladysaraii
legallynatural
lili411
lute
meowmix
mzswift
Newyork2004
Ojemba
ozma
poutchi
ravengril
simplychic
smwrigh3
southernstunner
sweet-ambrosia
cherrylicious 2010
vintagequeen
ycj1
sha76
kiesha8185
jozze
cisselette
osnappcnapp
eocceas
sxyblackgem
motherpopcorn562
ms.swayne
naturallysweet73
chemetria

yaj1

Last day to join: Dec 31st 2010

Last edited:

Ladybelle

Okay,so I'll go first since I'm the one starting the challenge:

why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it. : I'm doing the challenge so I can protect my current length & get past SL.
-current length: SL
-goal length: APL
-what your regimen will be I plan to keep my hair in braids two months at a time, wash & dc biweekly, and two week rest breaks between take out & installation, I wll also do daily sprays with African Royale braid spray & infusium 23 - basically, I will be following the C&G method.
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing I rotate between kinky twist, sengalese twist & individual braids.
-your start date: January 1, will probably get my 1st set of braids installed the last week of December.

coco8257

i want to join I'm kind of new here so this is my first challenge. i just got my weave put in yesterday so this is perfect. I'm gonna try to keep it in for 2-3 months till january or February.

-why you are joining the challenge - we must have a reason to do something or we won't stick with it.
*the reason im joining this challenge is because i can not stop touching and doing stuff to my hair. braids will help me just leave it alone because i want my hair to get past sholder length

-current length
*i think shoulder length but i haven't straightened my hair since i've been natural. and i don't know how long thats been

-goal length
*ultimate goal length waist but at the end of this challenge bra-strap

-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful (which is why I posted the crown & glory link up there ^^^)

*monday,wednesday,and friday
biotin, vitamin c, bcomplex,3 glasses of water, dr maricles for my edges which are crap and moisturize
*tuesday,thursday,sunday
egg shake, sulfur mix,3 glasses of water, moisturize my hair
*saturday
wash, deep condition,scalp massage, leave in

i plan on keeping braids in for 2 months and weave and wigs for 2-3 months with a week or two rest in between where my hair will be in natural twists

*weaves,crochets,cornrows,wigs

-your start date
*november 20 2010

my weave
http://thumbp2.mail.vip.ne1.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1469119053&mid=AFsIw0MAABFGTOlC%2BQEQ5j4F1hU&midoffset=1_3198548&partid=9&f=1801&fid=Inbox[/I[IMG]

[IMG]http://thumbp2.mail.vip.ne1.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1469119053&mid=AFsIw0MAABFGTOlC%2BQEQ5j4F1hU&midoffset=1_3198548&partid=9&f=1801&fid=Inbox

http://thumbp2.mail.vip.ne1.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1469119053&mid=AFsIw0MAABFGTOlC%2BQEQ5j4F1hU&midoffset=1_3198548&partid=2&f=1801&fid=Inbox[/IMG]MG]

shrinkage

bibirockz

Yay I'll join, I'm already doing this sorta. Question: Do we have a certain time in between braids before the next instal?

why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it. : I'm transitioning and noticing some breakage, I want to keep m hair braided so that I can transition for 2+ years before the BC.
-current length: SL I think.
-goal length: APL or BSL by next year.
-what your regimen will be: I'm going to conrow my hair for 7-14 days at a time then wig it, when I have less time I will do full head weaves or thick box braids for 1 month and a half with a week rest in between. I will cowash 2 times weekly and DC once a week with a mild protein followed by a moisturizing DC. I will poo biweekly. Moiturize at night seal then baggy. I also have a sulfur mix that I apply the night before I co-wash, and on the other days I have another scalp oil mix.
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing: conrows (with my hair only), full head weaves, thick box braids (with a little extensions).
-your start date: Now

Ladybelle

Yay I'll join, I'm already doing this sorta. Question: Do we have a certain time in between braids before the next instal?

Welcome to the challenge! And, no there isn't a certain time in between braids before the next install, although I would personally recommend waiting two-three weeks after taking your braids out before installing again while giving your hair lots of TLC (deep conditions, protein treatments, etc) during the resting period. But, you're free to do whatever you think is best for your hair.

I usually wait a minimum of two weeks after being in braids for two months before putting them back in for another two months.

Ladybelle

@ cocoa8257, your regimen is the TRUTH! You're serious aren't you? Welcome to LHCF and happy hairgrowing.

To everyone else, I'll update the challenge list in a week or two - wanna give everyone ample time to join us.

x-o-x-o-x-o!!

shunemite

why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it.
I'm joining again, with an amendment: TAKE DOWN MY OWN BRAIDS!!! The last lady I paid CUT 4 inches of my own hair, never again. I could have been at shoulder length and she chopped me back to neck length.

-current length: NL
-goal length: FSL
-what your regimen will be: crown and glory using Aphogee leave-in on the ends, keep braids in for 6 to 8 weeks
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing: singles with human hair (kanekalon is heavy)
-your start date: Jan 1, 2011

NaturallySweet73

Hello all,

Im new to LHCF:)!

I need to get to SL I am currently @ cbl. I plan to get to sl and hopefuly apl by this time next year..............I need a challenge.

I plan to do individual extention braid, cord braids for the year, Deep Conditioning everyother week and protien treating every other week. I will be co-washing at least once or twice weekly and shampoo once a month.

I will use my oil infused with garlic and msm in the evening (most nights).
Will seal with my oil concoction as well.

I would like to include my 6 year old as well, she is a little below sl almost apl:) Im gonna put those puppies in my hair first this week to get a head start and then hers in December & watch both our hair grow!

Last edited:

Ladybelle

Hello all,

Im new to LHCF:)!

I need to get to SL I am currently @ cbl. I plan to get to sl and hopefuly apl by this time next year..............I need a challenge.

I plan to do individual extention braid, cord braids for the year, Deep Conditioning everyother week and protien treating every other week. I will be co-washing at least once or twice weekly and shampoo once a month.

I will use my oil infused with garlic and msm in the evening (most nights).
Will seal with my oil concoction as well.

I would like to include my 6 year old as well, she is a little below sl almost apl:) Im gonna put those puppies in my hair first this week to get a head start and then hers in December & watch both our hair grow!

My dd is doing the challenge with us too! Yay! :yep: When she gets older, she's going to thank me because I take real good care of her hair.

nappystorm

I think I will join since I do the Crown and Glory method 50% of the year anyway. I am APL. My ST goal is full APL by my bday (April 1). My next goal is BSB by June. Then full BSB/grazing MBL in December. I don't do regimens, I just give my hair what it needs, when it needs it. We had a better relationship because of it.

bibirockz

Welcome to the challenge! And, no there isn't a certain time in between braids before the next install, although I would personally recommend waiting two-three weeks after taking your braids out before installing again while giving your hair lots of TLC (deep conditions, protein treatments, etc) during the resting period. But, you're free to do whatever you think is best for your hair.

I usually wait a minimum of two weeks after being in braids for two months before putting them back in for another two months.

Thank you! I guess I'll base it on how long I keep my hair braided up. I'm mostly wiggin it now so my hair is in conrows for 1-2 weeks I guess one or two days should be enough

Carisa

Ill join!

Why you are joining the challenge- Im already braiding my hair in cornrows monthly
Current length- between sl-apl
Goal length-- mbl by end of 2011
What your regimen will be- d/c 1x/month, wigs over braid, oiling hair 3-4x/week, co washing, no heat, no trims, no coloring, relaxers every 3-4 mths
What type of braids/braiding you will be doing- cornrows
Your start date- (12/1/10) i will be getting a fresh set today
You can do before & after pics if you want, but this is optional. My last pic is in sept and is in my siggy

Phaer

Count me in!

why you are joining the challenge - I am joining this challenge because while maintaining the health of of hair is the ultimate goal, I want 2011n to be a 'growing year' for me, I will namely concentrate on methods and vitamins that aids growth
-current length: CBL I guess
-goal length: APL
-what your regimen - I will rotate between doing Kinky twist, and crotchet braids. I will give my hair no less than two weeks in between each to repair my edges, sometimes more if I think its needed. I will be wearing wigs in between, con washes weekly, and steam monthly. I will be taking lots of vitamins, drinking lots of water and excercising at least 3 times a week.
-your start date: December 15, 2010

MeowMix

Hi, can I join please?

-why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it.
I have actually been doing this. This challenge just seems organic
-current length ~ 5 -6 inches
-goal length BSL
-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful (which is why I posted the crown & glory link up there ^^^)
. I baggy at night. I usually spritz Kimmaytubes leave in conditioner. I use an avocado butter at night when I baggy.
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing cornrows
-your start date 12/1/2010
-you can do before & after pics if you want, but this is optional. Starting pic is in my siggy

MizAvalon

I am so in on this challenge. I am doing nothing but wigging it up in 2011 with cornrows underneath.

FRESHstart101

I'm in ! Ive been in braids since September, I will be taking them out towards the end of December for a new batch. I'm gonna let my hair breath from braids for about 2 weeks though.

Ladybelle

**************WELCOME TO THE CHALLENGE LADIES, I'm looking forward to growing with you!

Maybe a few more would join, I would like to have at least 20.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I am in !

why you are joining the challenge - to help retain length and create an environment to encourage growth
-current length- APL
-goal length - by the end of the challenge I would like to be MBL
-what your regimen will be-- spray my cornrows daily with a mixture of s-curl, distilled water, conditioner, and infusium
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing-cornrows under my wigs and some times a weave (maybe)
-your start date- I have already begun.

FRESHstart101

-why you are joining the challenge - to leave my hair alone and let it grow without me constantly in it
-current length: 4-4 1/2
-goal length: uh ... WL
-what your regimen will be: crown and glory method
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing: kinky twist & braid extensions
-your start date: September 1st, 2010

Fhrizzball

To retain as much hair as possible for 2011
-current length
APL
-goal length
For 2011- BSL/MBL
-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful (which is why I posted the crown & glory link up there ^^^) :rolleyes:
Wear minitwists for 1 month while cowashing weekly
Transition to regular twist for one week and moisturize more often
Wear twistout streched bun with the bun in braids or twists
prepoo,wash, dc, rollerset hair with curlformers
Wear hair in curlfomers for a week and then do minitwists on rollerset stretched hair over the weekend.

Minitwists, two strand twists, braided buns
-your start date
December 31,2010
If I get enough progress I'll post progress pics when the challenge is over

Yay I'm in! My answers are in bold. I have minitwists in my hair already 215 to be exact but each time I want to get them smaller :grin:

smwrigh3

I'll join! This goes perfectly with my other challenges sooo...y not! :grin:but I am warning yall I am notorious for falling off a challenge half way thru so I post alot to keep myself accountable... so don't have me in here talkin to myself! :spinning:

why you are joining the challenge - I am joining becasue I love love love wigs/weaves and this allows me to take care of my hair and doing what I love with no stress hassle or work!

current length- CBL/SL (idk Im transiting currently 16 months post and I dont do lengt checks with heat ... like ever )

goal length Idk... for 2011 I better make APL but if it grows longer I aint gonna be mad! lol

-what your regimen will you be using? the Deep Moisture Method (from another challenge) once a month, then wash and DC once a week and moisturize and seal EVERY SINGLE DAY!

what type of braids/braiding you will be doing? Beehive cornrows

your start date I started in August/September

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm down for the challenge!

Why you are joining the challenge: To retain as much length as possible

Current length: EL/NL (About 4 inches all around)

Goal length: SL

Regimen & Style: Two strand twists for as long as possible. Maybe wear a twistout for a day or two then DC and retwist. Eventually, I will probably wear comb coils, cornrows (under a wig) or kinky twists.

Products: Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter, Hollywood Beauty Tea Tree Cholesterol, Suave Tropical Coconut Shampoo, Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Africa's Best Braid Spray, Water + Rosemary EO, Castor Oil + Rosemary EO

Start date: November 26, 2010 (I've already begun!!!)

Last edited:

Ladybelle

only four more to get our 20 challengers!!! yay, maybe we'll exceed the goal of 20 challengers??

I'll update the challenge list by the entry deadline.