The Cellophane and Clear Rinse Thread

Lady Esquire

Hey ya'll! :wave:

On my quest to perfect my regimen and DIY results, I am trying to achieve salon quality shine, w/o all of the salon's damaging techniques. After reading many threads, LHCFers rave about cellophane and clear rinses, for shine, and it even helps with porosity.

I do not know much about cellophane treatments, or clear rinses. DivineInspiration explained it best in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=68398&highlight=cellophane+relaxers

For those who are also unsure, it is a translucent, temporary hair colour that coats and infuses the hair with enhanced shine and vibrancy. It seals the hair cuticle and protects against chemical damage. A cellophane treatment consists of covering the hair with a long-lasting shine product. It comes in a variety of colors, including clear. The product is left on the hair for less than 30 minutes (it varies depending on what you're using) and rinsed out. Your hair will supposedly have incredible shine and silkiness for 4-6 weeks, (varies). Cellophane treatments are great to make damaged hair look silky. Some ladies use a cellophane the same day as their relaxer, because it supposedly penetrates better immediately after relaxer (makes sense, since cuticle is open)...and combats the dullness that relaxers may cause.

===================================================​

I retrieved the below info from another board to help with exact distinctions:

Rinses – are temporary. It all rinses out with the very next shampoo.
Semi-permanent Color - has the lasting effect of a permanent color but gentle on the hair because they contain no ammonia.
Cellophanes --- no ammonia. They give the hair shine and act like a conditioner, because it puts a coating on the hair. Lasts for several weeks...longer if you have a relaxer.

You cannot over-process your hair with any of these 3 types of products. They are safe to use unless you have an allergic reaction to any of them. They are all deposit only. They do not lift/remove any color molecules from your hair like permanent hair colors will do.

SistaSlick's Article - Hair Porosity: Help for Dry, Damaged Hair (Part 2)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69
She offers 4 solutions for porous hair, and solution #2 is Clear or Colored Rinses for Repairing Scale Damage and Porosity.

Snippet from that article:
Temporary clear or colored rinses also contain proteins that bind to and patch up the hair shaft. These rinses also give you the benefit of enhancing your current hair color, or adopting a temporary change. Clear rinses are best if you'd rather keep your current color and just add an enhanced element of shine. Sebastian's Colourshines and Jazzings all make great hair rinses that will help reduce your hair's porosity.

JenniferMD, former member, now the owner of www.RoundBrushHair.com sells a Dominican clear cellophane, called Color Showers (100% - no ammonia, no peroxide).
http://www.roundbrushhair.com/index.aspPageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=20 <---see product here.
Color Showers comes in many colors, and comes in clear as well. Says it adds shine and moisture.
Other brands are Adore, Jazzings, Matrix, Sebastian, Ion, Vitale, Freddrick Frekkai, Clairol, and so many more.

=====================================================​

MissBermuda started a thread: Deep Conditioner + Clear Rinse = Silky Sexy Hair - http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=221827&highlight=cellophane

=========================================================​

* Chime in and share your knowledge, and correct me if I have misstated anything.
* Please share your good and bad experiences with cellophane and clear rinses.
* What brands do you use?
* How and when do you use it?

Henna heads, I know it is a no-no to apply synthetic products on henna'd hair. However, I only use BAQ henna (and indigo, cassia, amla) a few times a year. After about, let's say 2 months worth of washes, do you think it is safe to use these cellophane and clear rinses? Of course, I would do a strand test first, and I would use the products that are free of PPDs, ammonia and peroxide.

Last edited:

JLove74

Thanks for this info. I;m actually sitting here with John Frieda Glaze, clear, in my hair.

Off to read...

SoAnxious12

op you have read my mind. I was just thinking about using a cellophane treatment during the summer. I had my eye on color showers since it seems to be quite healthy and i'm thinking of experimenting with dominican conditioners. I don't want to seem like i'm hijacking the thread but if any other ladies had any success with color showers shoot me a pm or something.

But i thought for the longest time that SOME semi permanent colors did have ammonia.

Lady Esquire

Thanks for this info. I;m actually sitting here with John Frieda Glaze, clear, in my hair.

Off to read...

JLove, let me know how it goes. I am interested in either the JF or the Color Showers. I'm leaning toward Color Showers cause it has no ammonia or peroxide.

eta: after reading some more, JF has no peroxide or ammonia either. and its cheaper.

op you have read my mind. I was just thinking about using a cellophane treatment during the summer. I had my eye on color showers since it seems to be quite healthy and i'm thinking of experimenting with dominican conditioners. I don't want to seem like i'm hijacking the thread but if any other ladies had any success with color showers shoot me a pm or something.

But i thought for the longest time that SOME semi permanent colors did have ammonia.

Nah, you're not hijacking anything. That is the whole point of this thread: to consolidate the info on cellophane and clear rinses.

Last edited:

filthyfresh

I've had a clear Sebastian's cellophane before. It was really nice and my hair was super shiny and awesome. LOL. I couldn't decide on a color so that's what my Mom let me do at the time. I'm thinking about getting another one when I go for my relaxer this weekend.

Soliel185

Off to read...

I have that in my shower at the moment. I didn't notice much difference in shine when I used it alone. But when I combined it with my DC my hair detangled itself! It may not be great for added shine, but the extra slip and conditioning was nice

I used to use Sunsilk for Brunettes color enhancing con - it gave me alot of shine, and pumped up my color a bit. Not sure where it fits in though among the 3 categories.

Eisani

I've used colored cellophanes for the past 5 or 6 years and have never had a bad experience! Love Color Showers. Adore is probably the cheapest ($3.99 around my way). I've only used two; Sebastian and Color Showers. Color Showers doesn't get all over your clothes like Sebastian. I recolor whenever I feel like it, or when my roots tell me it's time! Based on another thread, I was thinking of buying clear and adding to some of my conditioners.

Cleve_gryl

I love semi permanent rinses!! My brand of choice is the Clairol Beautiful collection that I buy at Sally's (bronze colored bottle).

I am a former henna head, and got tired of the red ends...I also got tired of all the work it took to do a henna gloss and refresh my grays :look:. I love how easy rinses are, and I can change the color when the old one is gone! I do a rinse about once a month.

SoAnxious12

oooh i love your hair color eisani! i didn't see it mentioned in your albumbut do you have to do anything special other than the color showers to achieve that color i.e bleaching/lifting?

Last edited:

Eisani

oooh i love your hair color eisani! i didn't see it mentioned in your albumbut do you have to do anything special other than the color showers to achieve that color i.e bleaching/lifting?

Thank you! No developer or lifter was used to achieve this color, but my natural color is very light. The cellophane is actually darker than my natural color.

SoAnxious12

Thank you! No developer or lifter was used to achieve this color, but my natural color is very light. The cellophane is actually darker than my natural color.

your welcome :yep: hmmm, i wonder how the same color would look on me since my hair is off black. I can't decide between a reddish copper type color or just enhancing my natural dark color with jet black...

skipper

ive had a bottle of sebastians color shines sitting around my apartment for a year im scared to use it.

i know i wash but do i condition and then put the gloss on? do i deep condition or just put on a bit of conditioning rinse? im so nervous

Lady Esquire

MissBermuda started a thread: Deep Conditioner + Clear Rinse = Silky Sexy Hair - http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=221827&highlight=cellophane

ive had a bottle of sebastians color shines sitting around my apartment for a year im scared to use it.

i know i wash but do i condition and then put the gloss on? do i deep condition or just put on a bit of conditioning rinse? im so nervous

Vanesart, the thread above talks about mixing your DC with your clear rinse to get a silky result. Read that to see if you get inspired.

onejamifan

I've used Sebastian Cellophane since for almost 18 years and it was the only hair color I used until it became hard to find. I have used mahogany, clear, coffee bean, amber and am currently using brilliant brown. It leaves my grays looking like I had subtle highlights. I did read some where that the line was going to be discontinued or something like that. Not sure though. I also used the Clairol Beautiful collection in dark brown but found that the color did not last as long as the cellophane and my hair was hard after application. On the upside, Clairol does not stain your hairline as much as the Cellophane and it does not "bleed" as much on your first wash...

The Girl

I love Color Showers I had used Clairol before as well and it wasn't so bad. However, it doesn't compare to ColorShowers. I found ColorShowers to be very gentle to the hair and easy to clean up if you are messy like I am.

tenjoy

Im use a cheapie right now by Jazzing (3.99), this past saturday I used Jazzing in Spiced Cognac. I also use clear rinses by Jazzing.

princessnad

Off to read...

I've used this also, but right after I henna'd! I didn't know you couldn't do that. What are the damaging effects of mixing henna with glaze?

Lady Esquire

I've used this also, but right after I henna'd! I didn't know you couldn't do that. What are the damaging effects of mixing henna with glaze?

I wanna know this too. I know there are some real henna gurus and mixologists among us ....c'mon, share some knowledge professors!

Hey ya'll! :wave:

Henna heads, I know it is a no-no to apply synthetic products on henna'd hair. However, I only use BAQ henna (and indigo, cassia, amla) a few times a year. After about, let's say 2 months worth of washes, do you think it is safe to use these cellophane and clear rinses? Of course, I would do a strand test first, and I would use the products that are free of PPDs, ammonia and peroxide.

neenee280

I love colorshowers. I have tried many (practically all) of them through the years and nothing beats Colorshowers.

To make my color "pop" more, I will lighten it with Dark and Lovely lighter color and leave on for like 10 or so mins. Rinse. Then apply Colorshowers. The color (if you are using a red) comes up very nice.

This weekend I relaxed and colorshowered my hair. The results are in my siggy.

Lady Esquire

I love colorshowers. I have tried many (practically all) of them through the years and nothing beats Colorshowers.

To make my color "pop" more, I will lighten it with Dark and Lovely lighter color and leave on for like 10 or so mins. Rinse. Then apply Colorshowers. The color (if you are using a red) comes up very nice.

This weekend I relaxed and colorshowered my hair. The results are in my siggy.

Neenee, I am drooling over that shine and color. Taking notes.

metalkitty

Has anyone tried any rinses from the brand Via? Like how does it compare to Adore in the white bottle? I have in the past but don't remember the results unfortunately.

JLove74

I did this a few times right after I hennea'd with Sebastians, no problems for me.

My review of John Frieda Glaze: I applied to DRY hair, left on for 30 minutes, washed and then added a liitle more to the condish to DC for a hour or so. Rinsed and styled as usual.

Well, I didn't think there was any shine, but a few YT co workers commented on my hair. One even asked me how I got my hair so "blingy". I didn't do anything different, just ran some Amla oil over my hair this morning and out the door.

It's a keeper.:yep: I like the smell, too.

daniemoy

I used the John Freda yesturday and I definitely noticed increased shine. I didn't apply any extra product besides HE LTR leav-in. I will be using it weekly for three week. The shine is supposed to increase with each use. I'll check back in with you girls in a couple weeks with some pics.

Last edited: