The Cellophane and Clear Rinse Thread

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
What's the best one nowadays? Is it still the Adore brand?

I want to purchase black to give my jet black perm color a fresh look. I also want to purchase some clear too.

Satya_R

Do the Cellophanes help at all with curl definition?
I've found some great moisturizing products and my hair is uber soft but I'm lacking the def. I want.

LightEyedMami

I just started doing clear semi-permenent dye (NOT rinse since im low-porosity)....im wondering how often i can do it?.. since it is DYE, is monthly to much? What do you girls think?....

hothair

I just started doing clear semi-permenent dye (NOT rinse since im low-porosity)....im wondering how often i can do it?.. since it is DYE, is monthly to much? What do you girls think?....

I wouldn't do a semi perm earlier than 8 weeks apart. You can use the John frieda cellophanes in between I colour at most every 3 months

Satya_R

So where do I get these things lol???
I spent allll day today looking for them in the beauty supply stores in the Mall, The Salon Product Stores, Target, Wal-Mart.....
Bleh :(
Are they all at Sally's? It was closed by the time I got the bright idea to stop in :/

LuvlyRain3

bump bump bump

anybody still using cellophanes?? I just bought some Adore ones in purple rage and indigo blue.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Can I use a protein treatment and a cellophane at the same time? I have the ColorShowers brand and I notice that it already has keratin in it. I am trying to give my hair a good dose of strength and moisture, along with a little bit of color.

Sosa

I'm going to try this cellophane glaze thing. I'm leaning towards JohnFrieda (because I think it would be easier to find), but I wonder which is best for natural 4b hair. ????

ilong

God's Own
I'm researching cellophanes and clear rinses for shine. Colorshowers seems to be the fav on this thread and Sebastian's on other threads.

Sebastian is pricey but if it's longer lasting it may be worth it. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

ajargon02

I use sebastian cellophane in red. I love it to refresh my color. I make sure to do a protein tx at least 2 wks before I use the cellophane and make sure to moisture dc till I use the color and after the color to maintain my moisture levels.

ajargon02

Do the Cellophanes help at all with curl definition?
I've found some great moisturizing products and my hair is uber soft but I'm lacking the def. I want.
Not that I have noticed. Cellophanes do not contain ammonia or peroxide so it will not change your texture like commercial permanent color might

ava2

Bumping... Anyone still mixing DC and cellophanes/rinses?

What are you using these days?

ajargon02

I also use sebastian cellophane in red. I am refreshing my color as we speak. The only thing about it, is that it bleeds a bit. So today, I will make sure to rinse for 10 min or so. I can't ever get the water to rinse clear all the way. I just stop when it's light pink and that's at the 8-10 min mark.
Usually it takes 3-4 washings for me to get my hair to stop bleeding. The color is gentle and does stay though for the most part.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

I found this thread on Google, from LHCF! I have no experience with this but thought I'd provide some info that I've seen.

In the attached thread above, within this post,, these were the cellophanes listed:

• John Frieda Luminous Clear Glaze
  • Sebastian Cellophane (Discontinued, but may be available online)
  • Frederic Fekkai Salon Glaze
  • Ouidid Shine Hair Shine Glaze
  • Colorshowers Cellophane
  • Other:
    • Jazzing​
    • Stoking Gold​
    • Adore Rinses​
    • Anything with 'Glaze' or 'Shine' in the product name​
    • Ardell LIghts and Brights​
    • Kiss​
    • Kiss Express Semi-Permanent Hair Color​
    • Matrix Prisms Clear​
    • Affirm Moisture Color in Clear​
    • Salon Glaze​
    • Redken Shades EQ Demi-Permanent Color Gloss​
    • Ion brand​
    • Beyond the Zone Gloss​
    • Kim Vo Brilliant Luster Glaze​
    • Matrix Prizms Plus Clear​
    • Zotos AGE Beautiful Haircolor in Clear Shine.​

Sebastian and 'other' are listed as the most popular in the poll results from the posted, attached thread that I inserted in my post.

Example of other posted by @Beaute Noire in post #3

Ok so I voted other because I use 2 different types...

1. Old school Jazzing (mix of Mood Indigo, Bluest Black, and Clear) when I want my inky black color<<<---yes its messy and cheap but it gives such a rich color. I apply it every 3-4 months or so. Medium on the shine level.

2. Stoken Gold Clear Cellophane (Dominican) for unbelievable blingy shine!!! lol. I use it as needed, once a month or so

Tips:
  • with jazzing you have to just be careful with application and apply it to hair only, if it gets on the scalp rubbing alcohol takes it off, i've never stained my scalp with it, I apply it like a relaxer try your best to avoid the scalp but it does come off with alcohol.
  • Mix the cellophane with conditioner
  • Video: What to do for extreme shine? Deeper than Hair YouTube Channel
  • " I would strongly advise not applying the JF Glaze and Kiss Express too frequently since they behave like a protein" stated @PJaye
  • "Also, it really helps to just apply a thin coating evenly throughout your hair, rather than globbing it on and trying to spread it. I put some in a little bowl and use a tint brush to apply in sections, just like applying color or relaxer or something. Again, more work but better results." @Victorian
  • 'Most of the time I use it exactly as directed (AFTER conditioning)' @Victorian

BeautifulRoots

I found this thread on Google, from LHCF! I have no experience with this but thought I'd provide some info that I've seen.

In the attached thread above, within this post,, these were the cellophanes listed:

• John Frieda Luminous Clear Glaze
  • Sebastian Cellophane (Discontinued, but may be available online)
  • Frederic Fekkai Salon Glaze
  • Ouidid Shine Hair Shine Glaze
  • Colorshowers Cellophane
  • Other:
    • Jazzing​
    • Stoking Gold​
    • Adore Rinses​
    • Anything with 'Glaze' or 'Shine' in the product name​
    • Ardell LIghts and Brights​
    • Kiss​
    • Kiss Express Semi-Permanent Hair Color​
    • Matrix Prisms Clear​
    • Affirm Moisture Color in Clear​
    • Salon Glaze​
    • Redken Shades EQ Demi-Permanent Color Gloss​
    • Ion brand​
    • Beyond the Zone Gloss​
    • Kim Vo Brilliant Luster Glaze​
    • Matrix Prizms Plus Clear​
    • Zotos AGE Beautiful Haircolor in Clear Shine.​

Sebastian and 'other' are listed as the most popular in the poll results from the posted, attached thread that I inserted in my post.

Example of other posted by @Beaute Noire in post #3

Ok so I voted other because I use 2 different types...

1. Old school Jazzing (mix of Mood Indigo, Bluest Black, and Clear) when I want my inky black color<<<---yes its messy and cheap but it gives such a rich color. I apply it every 3-4 months or so. Medium on the shine level.

2. Stoken Gold Clear Cellophane (Dominican) for unbelievable blingy shine!!! lol. I use it as needed, once a month or so

Tips:
  • with jazzing you have to just be careful with application and apply it to hair only, if it gets on the scalp rubbing alcohol takes it off, i've never stained my scalp with it, I apply it like a relaxer try your best to avoid the scalp but it does come off with alcohol.
  • Mix the cellophane with conditioner
  • Video: What to do for extreme shine? Deeper than Hair YouTube Channel
  • " I would strongly advise not applying the JF Glaze and Kiss Express too frequently since they behave like a protein" stated @PJaye
  • "Also, it really helps to just apply a thin coating evenly throughout your hair, rather than globbing it on and trying to spread it. I put some in a little bowl and use a tint brush to apply in sections, just like applying color or relaxer or something. Again, more work but better results." @Victorian
  • 'Most of the time I use it exactly as directed (AFTER conditioning)' @Victorian
Wow! Thank you @Chicoro!! This compilation post is very helpful!

I went to Sally's and ended up getting the Clairol clear rinse and plan to mix it with my DC. Fingers crossed that it works.

Off to read the linked thread...

Chicoro

Wow! Thank you @Chicoro!! This compilation post is very helpful!

I went to Sally's and ended up getting the Clairol clear rinse and plan to mix it with my DC. Fingers crossed that it works.

Off to read the linked thread...
You are welcome. I did it to learn for myself, too. I hope you find the answers you need. Will you be posting your results in this thread? Good luck with the process!

BeautifulRoots

@Chicoro

I tried the shine rinse!

I ended up exchanging the clairol for ion semi permanent clear at Sally's.

I shampooed, then added the gloss and let it sit for 30 mins under heat. After 30 mins, I added my DC on top of the gloss (since I had not conditioned my hair yet), let it sit another 30 mins under heat. Then I rinsed everything out, blow dried, and flat ironed.

Soooooo I did not notice much difference in shine. My hair is maybe 2-5% more shiny than normal. It has shine, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't that much shinier than it normally is. My hair does feel and look smoother though, so that is a win.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe adding the DC on top of the gloss dulled the effect? Next time I will either DC before shampooing and add the gloss alone, or try mixing the gloss with the DC.

I have a few more tries left since I still have another full bottle of the gloss. Pretty determined to figure out this shine rinse thing.

Chicoro

@Chicoro

I tried the shine rinse!

I ended up exchanging the clairol for ion semi permanent clear at Sally's.

I shampooed, then added the gloss and let it sit for 30 mins under heat. After 30 mins, I added my DC on top of the gloss (since I had not conditioned my hair yet), let it sit another 30 mins under heat. Then I rinsed everything out, blow dried, and flat ironed.

Soooooo I did not notice much difference in shine. My hair is maybe 2-5% more shiny than normal. It has shine, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't that much shinier than it normally is. My hair does feel and look smoother though, so that is a win.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe adding the DC on top of the gloss dulled the effect? Next time I will either DC before shampooing and add the gloss alone, or try mixing the gloss with the DC.

I have a few more tries left since I still have another full bottle of the gloss. Pretty determined to figure out this shine rinse thing.
Ooooo! Thank you for reporting back and I appreciate the detail. I am glad you did see a bit of additional shine for the effort and money spent. And I am glad the look and feel of your hair was smoother. You are right, those are wins! I am excited you have some product left. When you hit that homerun and it turns out how you want, or even if you do it and learn something, I still would love to hear about it. Thank you for keeping your promise and getting back to me this time! That super shine you are seeking is COMING!

BeautifulRoots

Ooooo! Thank you for reporting back and I appreciate the detail. I am glad you did see a bit of additional shine for the effort and money spent. And I am glad the look and feel of your hair was smoother. You are right, those are wins! I am excited you have some product left. When you hit that homerun and it turns out how you want, or even if you do it and learn something, I still would love to hear about it. Thank you for keeping your promise and getting back to me this time! That super shine you are seeking is COMING!
Thank you for your encouragement! I will definitely keep you updated with any progress and results I may have next time I use it!