The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Lute

I'm gonna avoid riding in taxi cabs for a while. Some of the drivers don't wear mask if their sick or just cough and not cover their mouths.

winterinatl

All natural!
Saw this article and was both perplexed and dismayed-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ver-NOT-effective-preventing-coronavirus.html
I’m seriously questioning how the advice of the surgeon general. Granted, not many of the health experts offering information about the virus have addressed the efficacy of wearing masks, but isn’t some degree of proactivity beneficial?
Also, If surgical masks provide no benefit to the general public, why do medical professionals wear them? And, isn’t some protection better than none?

Edited to add - are you all taking any precautions? Purchasing masks, medication, food, etc?
I think he wants folks with low probability of catching it to stop hoarding masks. The hospital need them for higher risk patients.
I still want one to hell keep my hands off my face.

I went Wuhan shopping yesterday. I lost my head and spent wayyyy too much money. The Costco was out of toilet paper and water within two hours of opening.

vevster

Last edited:

vevster

I went Wuhan shopping yesterday. I lost my head and spent wayyyy too much money. The Costco was out of toilet paper and water within two hours of opening.
I spent a lot of money too. But funds well spent. There are ways to save. Instead of elderberry syrup buy the ingredients and make it. It’s easy. I made my own hand sanitizer. I will order more essential oils this week.

Iwanthealthyhair67

I was concerned before, but now I'm really getting scared about the spread of this virus. I work at a popular hotel, and have contact with a good number of people on a daily basis. Is the N95 mask the best, most preventative mask out there? Can I order them online? What brands are good?

isn't that funny, so do I...check Amazon I see some are still available.

awhyley

isn't that funny, so do I...check Amazon I see some are still available.

Has anyone at your work even addressed a contingency plan for this issue? I was just talking to someone in housekeeping to see whether management has this on the brain. Nothing announced as yet, and now that the first case in Florida has been identified, people on the front lines, (i.e. front desk and housekeeping) are getting worried . . .

Iwanthealthyhair67

Has anyone at your work even addressed a contingency plan for this issue? I was just talking to someone in housekeeping to see whether management has this on the brain. Nothing announced as yet, and now that the first case in Florida has been identified, people on the front lines, (i.e. front desk and housekeeping) are getting worried . . .

nothing yet, talks at high level but nothing filtered down as yet

UmSumayyah

I think he wants folks with low probability of catching it to stop hoarding masks. The hospital need them for higher risk patients.
I still want one to hell keep my hands off my face.

If you bought a bunch of things you use anyway, don't worry about it.

discodumpling

Corona in NYC...I ain't never scared! My local Stop n Shop was unusually crowded for a Monday morning.
Do we have demographics on who this virus is affecting? Has it reached the Motherland and the collective US.

Ms. Tarabotti

He's a cardiologist-he might have some knowledge about infectious diseases but he might not be the best person to be in charge.

Now we are going to see how some government decisions play out in the long run. Mr Ego (Trump) decided to decimate and cancel the global infectious disease panels and protocols that Obama had put into place during his administration (remember everything with Obama's name attached to it had to go because it 'offended' someone's ego). These programs included being on the forefront in tracking global diseases and creating a chain of command where various agencies would work together to disseminate information and ways to combat outbreaks. Right now there is no chain of command, it's basically every state for itself. Contrary to Trumps opinion, it's not going to be easy getting all the infectious disease experts to return when/if this reaches epidemic proportions in the US. No expert will want to come back if their findings have to be vetted by the White House. His weakening of the CDC is evident in the fumbling of the test kits for this virus and its' seemingly unpreparedness for this outbreak. A vice president should not be in charge of leading America's response to a public health crises - we had/have a agency to do that. The CDC should have had boots on the ground in response to this outbreak, not trying to find a shoe store at this point in time.

The hospital where my mother spent her last days (Brooklyn, New York) had lovely water front views. Unfortunately it was in financial trouble and after several tries at a merger or something else that would save it, it went belly up. In came the developers who put up housing on the site of the former hospital. That left the area which has gone through gentrification with no close hospital in the area ( but there is a need for luxury housing). A number of hospitals in New York City have closed during the past few years, their sites being developed for luxury housing. With the current thinking among some that the hospital model is out dated and urgent care facilities are all that is needed, I wonder how New York City intends to treat the many potential cases of this virus. Are there going to be lines around the few hospitals equipped to handle this disease? Will the city be forced to use schools and other buildings as quarantine/triage facilities? How is the already overburdened health care system in NYC going to cope with this?

Sometimes the government can be incredibly shortsighted in its' thinking.

vevster

Which trader joes? The one on metropolitan avenue. I love that store but the location makes me go crazy.
That one is crowded no matter what apocalypse is upon us. I went to the bigger one in Garden City.

UmSumayyah

I just dropped into the CVS for non-emergency purposes. The lady in front of me in line asked the cashier about hand sanitizer, and he told her they have been out of stock for three days.

By the time there is an actual case nearby alot of standard supplies will be sold out .

vevster

I just dropped into the CVS for non-emergency purposes. The lady in front of me in line asked the cashier about hand sanitizer, and he told her they have been out of stock for three days.

By the time there is an actual case nearby alot of standard supplies will be sold out .
That is why I buy ingredents and make my own..... even if you don't want to go natural you can buy alcohol and aloe gel, right?

MamaBear2012

Just for budgeting purposes (we're scheduled to be debt free soon), I tend to stock up on household supplies when they are on sale. I typically try to do a six month stockpile. So, I have enough laundry detergent to last six months. Bar soap, hand soap, tissue, contact solution, q-tips, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.

Today, I went to get more Clorox wipes. We had some, but I know we'll use more. I picked up some rubbing alcohol. I got children's cough/flu medicine. And some for adults. Then children's Tylenol. And some for adults. There were only two bottles of rubbing alcohol left. The display of softsoap hand soap was looking scarce. Oh, and I forgot to get more trash bags. I think we stayed pretty well stocked just naturally. So, I'm just trying to pick up a few things that may run out.