The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

cece22

Honestly I don’t have a problem with their being a meat shortage. IMO it’s a good thing. I’m investing financially in meat alternatives like Beyond Meat products.

A meat shortage would be a catastrophe. Not everybody can afford the finest of fresh fruits and vegetables. And the food supply certainly can't contain a major shortage.

I'm not being drastic but vegans don't want omnivores trying to get full off their supply. It would imbalance the food supply and drive up prices all over the world. As the demand for grain, fresh/frozen/canned produce, soy, legumes will be great. It really isn't enough to go around poor people already rely heavily on these staples.

Black Ambrosia

Hey maybe well get to see beyonce in her house or something
Beyonce reality tv would never happen but I’m laughing at the prospect just the same.

It’s too bad artists are locked in terrible contracts with their labels. Now is a great time to get music directly to fans. Beyonce can release music and thrive but I wonder if she’d do that when she wouldn’t be able to tour for an extended period of time.

Everything Zen

^^^ all these vegans out here proselytizing and shaming us meat eaters acting holier than though? :look: I kid, I kid (but not really)

I’m not hoping for a devastating catastrophe BUT our exorbitant demands for meat is problematic and part of what caused this pandemic in the first place and less meat consumption would be beneficial to the planet and most human beings. That is a fact.

UmSumayyah

A meat shortage is a problem. Stores stock their shelves based on what people buy. If they all of a sudden can’t buy meat there’ll be an increase in demand for meat substitutes and everything else. I’m not confident the grocery stores can handle that shift especially if those food companies and farms are already negatively impacted.

If meat is short the price will increase and beans will increase in price and run short as well .

In my area the bean stock in the grocery stores is just now normalizing.

UmSumayyah

^^^ all these vegans out here proselytizing and shaming us meat eaters acting holier than though? :look: I kid, I kid (but not really)

I’m not hoping for a devastating catastrophe BUT our exorbitant demands for meat is problematic and part of what caused this pandemic in the first place and less meat consumption would be beneficial to the planet and most human beings. That is a fact.
We don't eat bats or civets or dogs here

Black Ambrosia

I'm not following. I've heard this was caused by people in China eating bats and 5G towers but never our consumption of meat. Can you break this down?

Black Ambrosia

I have a grocery order I'm picking up from Kroger tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if I should add more meat. I'm going to do an inventory this afternoon after I finish working.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Anyway, many of the people with the resources to do so will probably be buying up deep freezers and meat over the next few weeks.

Meat is about to disappear from the shelves again

Agreed. On the day COVID-19 was officially announced a pandemic, we were out and there was practically no meat at the local grocery store. And what was left was the most expensive of the items. We just got a deep freezer last week and it was the last one they had in stock. My car is bigger than DHs so I went to pick it up and the sales lady was so confused because all sizes and models were on backorder for 6 weeks.

My area is just now getting some meat back but not all cuts of all animals. I plan on getting something everyday for the next 2 weeks. I've found the sweet spot time to get into the grocery store to get everything I need without all the crowds.

Black Ambrosia

Agreed. On the day COVID-19 was officially announced a pandemic, we were out and there was practically no meat at the local grocery store. And what was left was the most expensive of the items. We just got a deep freezer last week and it was the last one they had in stock. My car is bigger than DHs so I went to pick it up and the sales lady was so confused because all sizes and models were on backorder for 6 weeks.

My area is just now getting some meat back but not all cuts of all animals. I plan on getting something everyday for the next 2 weeks. I've found the sweet spot time to get into the grocery store to get everything I need without all the crowds.
What's the sweet spot time??? Asking for a friend. :laugh:

Everything Zen

I'm not following. I've heard this was caused by people in China eating bats and 5G towers but never our consumption of meat. Can you break this down?

Influenzas are typically caused viruses transmitted from birds. Open air markets with live animals and industrialized farming are common sources for the transmission of these diseases from animals to human populations. The fact that we also destroy natural animal habitats such as the rainforests brings animals in much closer contact with humans making the transmission of these diseases much easier as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate....et-help-avert-a-future-influenza-pandemic.amp

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Cuomo and some other governors (CT, RI, DE, PA, NJ, MA) are going to have a press conference at 2pm about a plan to coordinate reopening their states. Not sure what that means.

Edit: link to the stream
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news

I watched this and thank you! Question: Do you know where I can go to get the names of all his aids that sit with him during the briefings? I can't find that information.

Thank you in advance @King of Sorrow .

Everything Zen

Boooooooooo us carnivores need our meat.

girl I love me a good medium rare ribeye, bacon is the candy of meat and Popeye’s is the truth :drool:

BUT I know that changing some of my dietary habits would be a benefit personally and to the environment and I’m cool with that. I don’t ever plan on becoming 100% vegan or vegetarian but I would like to reduce my meat consumption and make better choices. Too bad a damn plague had to happen to potentially force the issue but :lol:

Last edited:

cece22

You're right it is a fact!!! I'm not knocking relying less on meat products and consuming healthier options. The problem is being forced to do that would cause supply/demand issues. Beyond human control.

I always knew if everybody adopted a healthy organic lifestyle it wouldn't be enough food to go around. Plus healthier options can be expensive, many can shop around and find lower priced options. But due to change in supply/demand these food items will no longer be affordable for the poor. But the reality of fresh organic produce/grains being the main food source for human is unrealistic on a worldwide scale. Especially in countries with drought.

I despise the way this country treats farmers. We can't live without food yet farmers are an afterthought. The rich decision makers of this world are pushing us into a depression era. I've been watching depression era cooking videos recently before this all started. Go figure

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
What's the sweet spot time??? Asking for a friend. :laugh:

We have Walmart and Target and the both close at 8:30 PM- 9:00 PM. 2 weekends in a row I've went in between 7:15 - 7:30 PM. They still had stuff from that day and were also starting to restock for the next day. Both times I got groceries, TP, bleach, pet food and hygiene products.

Early morning runs always take a long time to get in and everything is already sold out when you get in.

I think I've all but abandoned hope for Costco. You just have to suck it up when you go because it's going to be a while.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
girl I love me a good medium rare ribeye, bacon is the candy of meat and Popeye’s is the truth :drool:

BUT I know that changing some of my dietary habits would be a benefit personally and to the environment and I’m cool with that. I don’t even plan on becoming 100% vegan or vegetarian but I would like to reduce my meat consumption and make better choices. Too bad a damn plague had to happen to potentially force the issue but :lol:

I gave up meat for Lent and was so looking forward to Easter and then this happened. Not going to even lie, I was not willing to share the ham I made yesterday but I did. I'm just going to buy like 5 this week and maybe cook one every other month and save the leftovers for sandwiches.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I gave up meat for Lent and was so looking forward to Easter and then this happened. Not going to even lie, I was not willing to share the ham I made yesterday but I did. I'm just going to buy like 5 this week and maybe cook one every other month and save the leftovers for sandwiches.

Good plan. This is the best time to stock up on ham, butter and other items related to Easter. They should be on sale. The next time hams and butter and related items will be on sale will be after Thanksgiving.

shahala

I’ve been sick for 2 weeks and assumed I had the flu. I went to the emergency room on Thursday night gasping for air , and unable to speak. I was diagnosed Covid Pneumonia. I was lucky to be in good health. My oxygen level was 98 so as soon as they saw that they told me I would be going home. I was sent home with 2 antibiotics and a cough suppressant. I am so Grateful to be alive! Still very weak because I lost my appetite and 13lbs. I am so happy I went to the emergency. All the folk remedies - boiling orange rind , onions garlic etc will not work if you are this sick Feel free to ask questions. I will answer if I can.

Jmartjrmd

BUT I know that changing some of my dietary habits would be a benefit personally and to the environment and I’m cool with that. I don’t ever plan on becoming 100% vegan or vegetarian but I would like to reduce my meat consumption and make better choices. Too bad a damn plague had to happen to potentially force the issue but :lol:
Yeah I'm just messing with you.

We all like what we like so no meat is no bueno for me.

I'm a huge animal lover so I get it but.......

cece22

I’ve been sick for 2 weeks and assumed I had the flu. I went to the emergency room on Thursday night gasping for air , and unable to speak. I was diagnosed Covid Pneumonia. I was lucky to be in good health. My oxygen level was 98 so as soon as they saw that they told me I would be going home. I was sent home with 2 antibiotics and a cough suppressant. I am so Grateful to be alive! Still very weak because I lost my appetite and 13lbs. I am so happy I went to the emergency. All the folk remedies - boiling orange rind , onions garlic etc will not work if you are this sick Feel free to ask questions. I will answer if I can.

Glad you made that call, pneumonia is no joke tust me I know and almost died. Praying you have a full recovery. Interesting that they are treating you with antibiotics. Can you share what they prescribed? Do you have COVID-19?

Last edited:

King of Sorrow

I watched this and thank you! Question: Do you know where I can go to get the names of all his aids that sit with him during the briefings? I can't find that information.

Thank you in advance @King of Sorrow .

He usually introduces them at the beginning of his briefings (they're posted daily on his YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/user/nygovcuomo)

From left to right: Former Cuomo aide and current President of Empire College Dr. Jim Malatras, state Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker, Cuomo, Secretary to the Governor Melissa DeRosa, and Budget Director Robert Mujica.

Zucker, DeRosa, and Mujica are almost always there. I've watched too many of these things. I'm beginning to also know the reporters' names.

Last edited: