The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

ThirdEyeBeauty

I only wished I had sought medical attention sooner instead of listening to and following stupid folk remedies.

I strongly believe that that’s what’s killing black people. Instead of seeking medical attention, they are following quackery.
It depends on what the people are doing. Hospitals are saying they are pretty much experimenting. People are dying especially if they get to the point of needing a ventilator. I believe improving the immune is important. I am hesitant to say the people I know hospitalized are improving after I told families to ask the hospitals for this and that as well as take some supplements while there. What the hell are the hospitals doing that I have to ask for things? I guess I'm experimenting too but wow. Wow. Ypu would be surprised actually. Someone talked about bedsores, smelling, and so on a few posts ago. Huh? How? Smh

Everything Zen

Think there’s some issue with the supply chain. Farmers have no way to transport commercial goods to the public. Though one would think that’s a simple problem for our government to fix.

Check with your local farmer’s markets. The news reported that our local one in Evanston will be opening this season enforcing social distancing rules which I think is a good thing. The prices may even be lower since I haven’t been in a few years bc the prices were outrageous IMHO.

sunshinebeautiful

As for these persistent conspiracies about Covid being man made I have 2 questions:

1. Why have we forgotten about The Plague (Black/Bubonic), Spanish Flu, Ebola? What is so suspicious about this one? It isn’t without precedent. How are folk focused on that but NOT bad actors taking advantage of a natural pestilence to harm us? That’s a “conspiracy” happening right in our faces. Maybe in this instance we need POC’s to blame?

2. If Covid was made in a lab (it wasn’t) how would that change things?

Same questions I've wondered, especially question #2. Let's say for the sake of argument that it is man-made. Besides laying claim to some hollow victory of feeling more "woke" than the next person, how the heck does that change anything that's going on on the ground right now? Yall got they keys to the lab? A cure in your backpocket?

Truth is, there's probably other viruses laying wait deep in the sparsely populated areas, like Amazon that they're deforesting, for example, to trigger future pandemics to come.

Kanky

This is not a comment in response to the protests. I think those people are idiots like their leader.

But regarding unemployment, I personally know at least 20 people in 2 different states who haven't received a dime from unemployment yet despite putting in applications over a month ago. Some still have not even been able to complete the application despite NUMEROUS attempts because the sites keep crashing or being taken offline for "maintenance." This whole system is a joke. The little stimulus that some got are going towards basic living expenses, but of course it will run out.

Another reason that they are allowing businesses to reopen is so that they can kick people off unemployment. Technically the business is allowed to operate even if no one will come in, so the employees are no longer on the government tab. It also helps the insurance industry avoid paying out the business interruption insurance claims.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/24/chefs-fight-back-as-insurance-companies-deny-restaurants-payouts/

shahala

Most black people are not into quackery. Medical racism is a thing.

That being said, IMO herbs and vitamin supplements are for building a healthy immune system and general good health. Once you have gotten sick then it is modern medicine’s turn.

I used to think that we weren’t into quackery. Lol.

But for people to tell me, in all seriousness that putting an onion on my chest will cure me and putting onions in every room in the house is a cure. And a lot of other crazy stuff. To me that is quackery!

I’m finding out about more and more about church members who died and were sick with this virus and in February and March

The virus was really stalking our church. Plus we did a lot of hugging and kissing during fellowship time.

One member who was found dead in her house - she had her pots of garlic, orange rinds, onions etc on the stove, but never sought medical attention. She thought she could cure herself. Some can. Others can’t.

Last edited:

shahala

That is excellent. That and your youth helped you beat it.
That is excellent. That and your youth helped you beat it.

Vester, weird fact about me. I may have fallen off the supplement bandwagon but I don’t even take painkillers. I can be in excruciating pain and just ride it out. My mother would say to me how can you be in pain and not take medicine. I always say that I want my body to be pure of medications so that when I really need them, they will work. Not rationale but the way I think.

UmSumayyah

Cristina Cuomo? Wife to news anchor Chris Cuomo? The man who is isolated in his basement doing news while suffering from C19? The one whose fever returned after being free of fever for 60 hours and was sooo close to meeting the 72 hour recommendation? Why is this really happening? Are we part of theater?
He was seen out and about when he was supposedly isolated

vevster

Vester, weird fact about me. I may have fallen off the supplement bandwagon but I don’t even take painkillers. I can be in excruciating pain and just ride it out. My mother would say to me how can you be in pain and not take medicine. I always say that I wan
want my body to be pure of medications so that when I really need them, they will work. Not rationale but the way I think.

Not a bad rationale at all.

Black Ambrosia

The only folk saying we have enough PPE are the Trump administration, no?
Definitely trumpers but, in general, there's less coverage of the ppe situation. I think this is because the federal government has been. stealing the state's orders. There was a story last week on how Chicago was basically smuggling ppe into the country so the federal government wouldn't uncover it and keep it. Based on that I know ppe is still a problem.

dancinstallion

Is this really enough? I know guidelines have changed with covid-19 but wouldn't healthcare professionals normally change masks per patient with something this infectious?

Normally we would change masks per patient. We wear masks the whole shift even around other staff members so no need to change it per patient. Guidelines are dont touch your mask only to put on and take off. We wipe down our face shields each time we take it off so we wont have to wear the face shields throughout the shift. So we wipe it down as soon as we come out of the room or keep it on and go to the next room and just change our gown and gloves of course.

Black Ambrosia

Normally we would change masks per patient. We wear masks the whole shift even around other staff members so no need to change it per patient. Guidelines are dont touch your mask only to put on and take off. We wipe down our face shields each time we take it off so we wont have to wear the face shields throughout the shift. So we wipe it down as soon as we come out of the room or keep it on and go to the next room and just change our gown and gloves of course.
So there's no risk of exposing someone else by continuing to wear the same mask? I know most patients are assumed to be positive once they get to the hospital but I'm not understanding why now it's okay just because you're keeping it on the whole time. Sounds like it's safer for healthcare professionals but what about patients?

dancinstallion

Don’t feel bad for me.

I’ve only taken antibiotics once in my life before so it’s not like I’ve been exposed to it a lot like many who take antibiotics at the drop of a hat.

I feel happy for myself that I’ve bounced back so quickly!

That my immune system was able to fight It off so quickly.

I feel no shame in going to the emergency room and being released 5 hours later.

I don’t even want to face time with my friends and family because they keep telling me I don’t look sick and think I exaggerated my condition. Lol

I only wished I had sought medical attention sooner instead of listening to and following stupid folk remedies.

I strongly believe that that’s what’s killing black people. Instead of seeking medical attention, they are following quackery.

Naw sis, what is killing black people is not listening to sound advice and other people not offering good advice.
A lot of black people think they know what is best so they dont listen to people who know more.
Obesity, hypertention and diabetes is what is really killing black people. Add covid to the mix. Most people act like diabetes and hypertension is so common that everybody has it so there is nothing to do about it. NO!!!!! So I ask patients what did you do differently to treat your diabetes and hypertension? They did nothing but go about their regular lives until they needed medical help. Most dont even take their prescriptions as advised if they take it at all. Most dont even seek medical attention until it is too late or they seek it for stupid reasons looking for antibiotics cuz that cures everthing ya know.
Oh yea tylenol does too.

I hate hearing Everybody has this disease or this doesn't work but when I ask them have they tried it and they havent. So what are we really talking about if you havent tried it.
There are studies to point to natural remedies but people arent going to listen. Ye shrug.
It is asking too much of people to use natural ways to lower BP or get healthy. It is asking too much for people to stop eating so much or get your foot or toes cut off. It is asking too much of a person to exercise just a little bit.
People dont listen.

If half of the black people took nutrient dense food and supplementation seriously then they wouldnt be in the predicament and the outcomes would be much more positive.

People dont do anything when they feel themselves getting a cold they just let there body fight it off for 10+ days or longer. so I know they arent doing anything to prevent the onslaught of covid. Luckily most people are beating it without doing anything but I cant say the same for the people who are up here dying in droves or with multiple organ failure.

Last edited:

Ms. Tarabotti

And what are we supposed to open our eyes to? That Obama somehow introduced the virus to the world? That your president is trying to deflect blame from his shoddy handling of the virus?

That the man who supposedly knows more than anyone else just advised you to drink disinfectant to kill the virus?

Everything Zen

Naw sis, what is killing black people is not listening to sound advice and other people not offering good advice.
A lot of black people think they know what is best so they dont listen to people who know more.
Obesity, hypertention and diabetes is what is really killing black people. Add covid to the mix. Most people act like diabetes and hypertension is so common that everybody has it so there is nothing to do about it. NO!!!!! So I ask patients what did you do differently to treat your diabetes and hypertension? They did nothing but go about their regular lives until they needed medical help. Most dont even take their prescriptions as advised if they take it at all.
I hate hearing Everybody has this disease or this doesn't work but when I ask them have they tried it and they havent. So what are we really talking about if you havent tried it.
There are studies to point to natural remedies but people arent going to listen. Ye shrug.
It is asking too much of people to use natural ways to lower BP. It is asking too.much for people to stop eating so much or get your foot cut off. It is asking too much of a person to exercise just a little bit.
People dont listen.

If half of the black people took nutrient dense food and supplementation seriously then they wouldnt be in the predicament and the outcome would be much more positive.

People dont do anything when they feel themselves getting a cold they just let there body fight it off for 10+ days or longer. so I know they arent doing anything to prevent the onslaught of covid. Luckily most people are beating it without doing anything but I cant say the same for the people who are up here dying in droves or with multiple organ failure.

Thank you sis bc I don’t have the strength.

dancinstallion

I used to think that we weren’t into quackery. Lol.

But for people to tell me, in all seriousness that putting an onion on my chest will cure me and putting onions in every room in the house is a cure. And a lot of other crazy stuff. To me that is quackery!

I’m finding out about more and more about church members who died and were sick with this virus and in February and March

The virus was really stalking our church. Plus we did a lot of hugging and kissing during fellowship time.

One member who was found dead in her house - she had her pots of garlic, orange rinds, garlic etc on the stove, but never sought medical attention. She thought she could cure herself. Some can. Others can’t.

A black nurse told me that a pastor from her country told them to put warm shea butter on her chest and throat to help prevent or cure covid. :huh: she was really serious too. :( I said I love shea butter for my hair and skin but thats it. Do you think she would have believed me if I told her that her pastor was wrong?

Last edited:

shahala

A nurse told me that a pastor from her country told them to put warm shea butter on her chest and throat to help prevent or cure covid. :huh: she was really serious too. :( I said I love shea butter for my hair and skin but thats it. Do you think she would have believed me if I told her that her pastor was wrong?

You know we always believe the pastor! Lol.

I can’t laugh too hard because the same night I went to the emergency room , I was in the kitchen leaning over a pot with lemon and orange rinds, garlic and onions salt etc trying to breathe it in because my mom sent me a video where this guy said this concoction cured his son. I was so weak, my face almost fell into the pot lol

dancinstallion

So there's no risk of exposing someone else by continuing to wear the same mask? I know most patients are assumed to be positive once they get to the hospital but I'm not understanding why now it's okay just because you're keeping it on the whole time. Sounds like it's safer for healthcare professionals but what about patients?

Some of us wear surgical masks over our N95, so I change the surgical mask often.
All patients are covid positive in this hospital. There is only one unit that is for non covid patients and only staff members that work in that unit are allowed in there and they have a separate entry. So I can not say how they are using their ppe in there.

You know we always believe the pastor! Lol.

I can’t laugh too hard because the same night I went to the emergency room , I was in the kitchen leaning over a pot with lemon and orange rinds, garlic and onions salt etc trying to breathe it in because my mom sent me a video where this guy said this concoction cured his son. I was so weak, my face almost fell into the pot lol

you were supposed to drink that. I know the video probably didnt tell you to drink it though. :drunk: just inhale it like the lysol inhaler. :giggle:

Last edited:

ThirdEyeBeauty

Another reason that they are allowing businesses to reopen is so that they can kick people off unemployment. Technically the business is allowed to operate even if no one will come in, so the employees are no longer on the government tab. It also helps the insurance industry avoid paying out the business interruption insurance claims.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/24/chefs-fight-back-as-insurance-companies-deny-restaurants-payouts/
I will have to search but I heard via a news report that unemployment continues after returning to work. I am not sure for how long or how much. Can anyone back this claim up?