The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

ThirdEyeBeauty

Research Advances in Association Between Vitamin D and Kawasaki Disease and Related Mechanisms of Action]
[Article in Chinese]
Xue Yang et al. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi.
2016 Dec;18(12):1319-1323.
Authors
Xue Yang 1, Xiang-Yu Dong
Affiliation
  • 1Department of Pediatrics, Lanzhou University Second Hospital, Lanzhou 730030, China. [email protected].
  • PMID: 27974130
Abstract

Vitamin D is an important steroid hormone, which has a wide biological effect and is the protective factor against cardiovascular disease and other diseases. At present, the etiology and pathogenesis of Kawasaki disease (KD) remain unknown, but recent studies have shown that vitamin D insufficiency or deficiency is associated with KD. Vitamin D insufficiency or deficiency may affect KD via its influence on inflammatory response, adipokine, endothelial function, platelet function, and DNA methylation and increase the risk of coronary artery lesions. This article reviews the research advances in the association between vitamin D and KD and possible mechanisms of action.

UmSumayyah

Have you all heard that the reason trump, pence and etal don't wear mask is because they've already been vaccinated? according to a hot mic at a press conference.
I heard something about someone joking maybe that said "we've all been vaccinated here". General joke about cooties, joking about a vaccine or saying the truth?"

If so then everyone, the reporters we rely on to get us unbiased information, the experts like Birx and Fauci that we rely on to use their education and expertise to advance the public good, and the politicians we figure like at least some of the time, are all in on a huge conspiracy; along with their support staff.

shelli4018

Well....this administration is certainly conspiracy minded. Certainly not above creating controversy with provocative statements. However I don’t think they’re vaccinated (I won’t rule it out yet). Perhaps they’ve bought into the Swedish approach? I believe their newfound belief that vulnerable populations will take the brunt of this pandemic is behind this push to reopen the economy.

Much like the narrative that “black folk are immune to Covid” I think “white folk are immune to Covid” is even more dangerous because of their numbers and control of western governments. Can you imagine how “economically frustrated “ Americans will react when they make up the majority of Covid deaths in the 2nd wave of infections?

Kanky

I’ve not heard that. I heard that they don’t wear masks because they get tested everyday and that everyone they have regular contact with also gets tested everyday.

This is more believable than the idea that they've had a vaccine. And I don't doubt that if a vaccine was ready they'd test it out on poor people first. They have everyone tested daily and monitor temperatures. But they want you to go to a movie and a buffet. :lol:

UmSumayyah

Ocean City beaches will open this weekend even though Maryland's stay at home orders haven't been lifted. People won't be required to wear masks but must keep distance. SMH... I just don't understand. :nono:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/ocean-city-to-reopen-beach-boardwalk-this-weekend/2293217/
Transmitting it out in the fresh air is not easy at all if people maintain distance.

Low vitamin d levels contribute to having it hard with Covid.

People will be safer at the beach than they ever would be inside a store with recirculated air and tens to hundreds of people touching the same surfaces and objects.

SoniT

Transmitting it out in the fresh air is not easy at all if people maintain distance.

People will be safer at the beach than they ever would be inside a store with recirculated air and tens to hundreds of people touching the same surfaces and objects.
Thanks. I'm thinking about people possibly huddled in groups and not social distancing properly but I won't be out there anyway. :ohwell:

vevster

Since we've ramped up testing at my facility, our positive infection rate is at about 45-50%. Our state hasn't officially opened yet but not as many are following the order as the weather is warmer.
That is higher than anything we have heard on the news. wow.

Kanky

We went for a long bike ride boardwalk, walked on beach and watched dolphins swim over the weekend. The beach here is closed to swimmers and sunbathers but my kids still had fun.

I am avoiding crowds and closed spaces filled with white folks who watch Fox News and think that they don’t need a mask or social distancing. Staying in the house isn’t necessary and I don’t think that it is healthy. Vitamin D levels aside it isn’t good for your mental health to never leave the house. The problem is that some places have so little outdoor space that folks can’t social distance.

LivingInPeace

We went for a long bike ride boardwalk, walked on beach and watched dolphins swim over the weekend. The beach here is closed to swimmers and sunbathers but my kids still had fun.

I am avoiding crowds and closed spaces filled with white folks who watch Fox News and think that they don’t need a mask or social distancing. Staying in the house isn’t necessary and I don’t think that it is healthy. Vitamin D levels aside it isn’t good for your mental health to never leave the house. The problem is that some places have so little outdoor space that folks can’t social distance.
I've been walking outside most days since everything got shut down. I wear a mask and cross the street when I see other people walking on my side. I don't think it's healthy to be closed up all day.

SoniT

I've been walking outside most days since everything got shut down. I wear a mask and cross the street when I see other people walking on my side. I don't think it's healthy to be closed up all day.
I walk outside too. I always wear a mask and try to go early in the morning when there aren't a lot of people out. I dont mind being outside, I just don't want to be around large groups of people. My husband and I also go for drives when the weather is nice.

LivingInPeace

I walk outside too. I always wear a mask and try to go early in the morning when there aren't a lot of people out. I dont mind being outside, I just don't want to be around large groups of people. My husband and I also go for drives when the weather is nice.
My husband and I have taken one drive which was nice. It's funny how the little things seem exciting after a while.

discodumpling

Have you all heard that the reason trump, pence and etal don't wear mask is because they've already been vaccinated? according to a hot mic at a press conference.
I have. A family member posted a video of some men getting the room ready for a recent press conference. One man asked if it was alright not to wear a mask and the other replied (paraphrasing) Its all good...everybody here has been vaccinated.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Scientists say a now-dominant strain of the coronavirus appears to be more contagious than original
https://www.latimes.com/california/...rus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original
AY 5, 2020
4 AM

Scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new study led by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote.

In addition to spreading faster, it may make people vulnerable to a second infection after a first bout with the disease, the report warned.

The 33-page report was posted Thursday on BioRxiv, a website that researchers use to share their work before it is peer reviewed, an effort to speed up collaborations with scientists working on COVID-19 vaccines or treatments. That research has been largely based on the genetic sequence of earlier strains and might not be effective against the new one.

The mutation identified in the new report affects the now infamous spikes on the exterior of the coronavirus, which allow it to enter human respiratory cells. The report’s authors said they felt an “urgent need for an early warning” so that vaccines and drugs under development around the world will be effective against the mutated strain.

Wherever the new strain appeared, it quickly infected far more people than the earlier strains that came out of Wuhan, China, and within weeks it was the only strain that was prevalent in some nations, according to the report. The new strain’s dominance over its predecessors demonstrates that it is more infectious, according to the report, though exactly why is not yet known.

The report was based on a computational analysis of more than 6,000 coronavirus sequences from around the world, collected by the Global Initiative for Sharing All Influenza Data, a public-private organization in Germany. Time and again, the analysis found the new version was transitioning to become dominant.

The Los Alamos team, assisted by scientists at Duke University and the University of Sheffield in England, identified 14 mutations. Those mutations occurred among the nearly 30,000 base pairs of RNA that other scientists say make up the coronavirus’s genome. The report authors focused on a mutation called D614G, which is responsible for the change in the virus’ spikes.

“The story is worrying, as we see a mutated form of the virus very rapidly emerging, and over the month of March becoming the dominant pandemic form,” study leader Bette Korber, a computational biologist at Los Alamos, wrote on her Facebook page. “When viruses with this mutation enter a population, they rapidly begin to take over the local epidemic, thus they are more transmissible.”

While the Los Alamos report is highly technical and dispassionate, Korber expressed some deep personal feelings about the implications of the finding in her Facebook post.

“This is hard news,” wrote Korber, “but please don’t only be disheartened by it. Our team at LANL was able to document this mutation and its impact on transmission only because of a massive global effort of clinical people and experimental groups, who make new sequences of the virus (SARS-CoV-2) in their local communities available as quickly as they possibly can.”

The report contains regional breakdowns of when the new strain of virus first emerged and how long it took to become dominant.

Italy was one of the first countries to see the new virus in the last week of February, almost at the same time that the original strain appeared. Washington was among the first states to get hit with the original strain in late February, but by March 15 the mutated strain dominated. New York was hit by the original virus around March 15, but within days the mutant strain took over. The team did not report results for California.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My hypochondria reacting to this news.