The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
We had another employee report contact with a family member who tested positive. The employees extended family decided that their traditions needed to be observed, pandemic or not. One of the family members just randomly had to be tested for work, the test came back positive. Come to find out their entire household is positive but asymptomatic. The larger effect is that one household full of Covid-19 positive people has been in contact with up to 20 households weekly and they have no idea how long they have had it. But since people feel like you can look at people and tell that they ain't sick, that the rules of masks, social distancing and staying TF AWAY FROM LARGE GROUPS just don't apply to them.

Like I keep telling folks, this ain't going away until 2022 at the earliest.

naturalgyrl5199

1. A coworker in the clinic area adjacent to ours tested positive last week. I think the girl who sits next to her was positive as well. Their supervisor who sits next to them is here so she must have tested negative (but she was out a couple of days). The other 2 girls who sit on the other side of them all have been out over a week so I assume they got positive results. SIGH. We work at a health dept. And the community spread here is worsening. Our adjacent rural areas are really suffering. Moms are having babies and being discharged before the baby is 36-48 hours old, breastfeeding is initiated but sometimes not established well...our methods allow us to enroll moms the same day of discharge if they sen all the right documentation.

2. I'm getting cabin fever. The state of Florida has places to go less than a tank of gas away where you can hole up and enjoy some quiet. Trying to convince hubby to rent a house with a pool so we can spend a weekend there and hole up, I can lie on a chaise lounge, the kids can play in the pool and we can bring our own groceries. Pretty much all our counties have mask mandates (despite what the news says). I just need to get out. My mental health is deteriorating. We are getting another wave of requests for services because unemployment isn't decreasing (despite what T..rump and De..Santis lies about). My husband is an introvert and his behaviors haven't changed. But we are 5 months in and this has been getting harder and harder mental health wise. I am "dealing" working and keeping busy...but I need to decompress. But I need a safe way to do it. I don't want to go to restaurants or crowded places. We can order into our favorite spots. My assistant is a pro-camper with her husband and they take their camper to camps in our state that have beach access. PRIVATE beach access and she tells me there is NO ONE there. I am just trying to figure something out.

naturalgyrl5199

Anyone know of college kids going back to school? I know one being quarantined on campus after taking her covid test there, another taking his second covid test of the week! Poor kids.
My husband works at a Uni and kids staying in dorms have to be tested before they arrive. All the staff were tested last month and they are going to be tested again.

I am telling parents with college kids to have their student pack a COVID bag in case they are sick and get a positive test. That way they can call the dorm manager (some double rooms have been changed to single rooms so there may not be roomates for many kids now) or roomate to "grab their already packed blue nike bag" with 2 weeks of clothing and essentials in case they need to quarantine at a hotel or special facility or even go to the hospital. Rather than ask a possible stranger to go through their stuff. Or they can keep it in their car.

naturalgyrl5199

Real estate is on fire. A relative sold her house in less than a week moved cross country found a new place and placed an offer in less than a week.
I thought every thing would be in different phases of limbo....
The appraisal value of our home skyrocketed after we remodeled the kitchen Fall 2018. We were told that since homes in the area were not commanding such a price, we could still sell at a profit but not at the amount the appraisal value came in at. Then, last summer, about 5-6 hours on my street including mine underwent some curb appeal updating...we all painted our homes, doors, took care of some landscaping, and it was freaky, we all just started doing it at the same time. Then my neighbor is now selling their house for just under what our appraisal value came in at. For people who CAN purchase and afford homes, its a great time. Home values are going up in my area. Like pre-2008 values. Rates are going down. Man I wish I could sell. I get text messages and calls about selling my house ALL THE TIME. I think they are pullin git from Zillow and the property appraisal website.

Crackers Phinn

1. A coworker in the clinic area adjacent to ours tested positive last week. I think the girl who sits next to her was positive as well. Their supervisor who sits next to them is here so she must have tested negative (but she was out a couple of days). The other 2 girls who sit on the other side of them all have been out over a week so I assume they got positive results. SIGH. We work at a health dept. And the community spread here is worsening. Our adjacent rural areas are really suffering. Moms are having babies and being discharged before the baby is 36-48 hours old, breastfeeding is initiated but sometimes not established well...our methods allow us to enroll moms the same day of discharge if they sen all the right documentation.

2. I'm getting cabin fever. The state of Florida has places to go less than a tank of gas away where you can hole up and enjoy some quiet. Trying to convince hubby to rent a house with a pool so we can spend a weekend there and hole up, I can lie on a chaise lounge, the kids can play in the pool and we can bring our own groceries. Pretty much all our counties have mask mandates (despite what the news says). I just need to get out. My mental health is deteriorating. We are getting another wave of requests for services because unemployment isn't decreasing (despite what T..rump and De..Santis lies about). My husband is an introvert and his behaviors haven't changed. But we are 5 months in and this has been getting harder and harder mental health wise. I am "dealing" working and keeping busy...but I need to decompress. But I need a safe way to do it. I don't want to go to restaurants or crowded places. We can order into our favorite spots. My assistant is a pro-camper with her husband and they take their camper to camps in our state that have beach access. PRIVATE beach access and she tells me there is NO ONE there. I am just trying to figure something out.
Were these people sitting 6 feet plus apart?

Black Ambrosia

You'd be comfortable in a house you didn't clean? I know you can spray and disinfect but the idea of doing what I'd need to do to feel comfortable is exhausting. I'd end up staying at home. You're co-worker's option is better since they're using their own stuff imo.

naturalgyrl5199

Were these people sitting 6 feet plus apart?
Nope.

they cannot possibly do it. They wore masks and shields all day but honestly they were always near each other, touching the same pens, paper, bathroom, I mean there is only so much. In my area we CAN work in our offices and I’m rotating the girls who work in Cubicle areas 50:50 in and out.

naturalgyrl5199

You'd be comfortable in a house you didn't clean? I know you can spray and disinfect but the idea of doing what I'd need to do to feel comfortable is exhausting. I'd end up staying at home. You're co-worker's option is better since they're using their own stuff imo.
I thought about that. I definitely would clean it myself first but how exhausting. My friend went to a hotel and they said It was DEAD in the city (Orlando) and the restaurants they ate at they would be the only couple there or maybe one other. Every home we rent is usually an Air BnB or similar and they Use a cleaning service. We would have to assume they do a deep clean. Idk. We may just do a beach day. Many near us within a couple hours are remote. But o have to do something. I work I high stress job and we would have taken at least 4 trips between March and August by now.

Crackers Phinn

Nope.

they cannot possibly do it. They wore masks and shields all day but honestly they were always near each other, touching the same pens, paper, bathroom, I mean there is only so much. In my area we CAN work in our offices and I’m rotating the girls who work in Cubicle areas 50:50 in and out.
They absolutely can possibly do it. I know that those nurses can't make the call but every company pays somebody to figure out how to not catch an Osha case. Our cubicle set up is open and has people within 6 feet of each other. After determining who absolutely had to be in the office the answer was to make our reception area "less pretty" and set up makeshift desks for people. In a hospital, you got rooms everywhere, move the nurses to where they aren't on top of each other cuz the alternative is sick nurses who can't do the hospital no good.

I sit on multiple zoom calls with employees every month and when our compliance person tells them what they need to do and they tell them why it's hard I step in and tell them that my position is they should do what's hard or inconvenient for their health and not taking the chance on bringing something back to their family. It doesn't do them or the company any good to be out of work isolated for 14 days or longer.

It's go be a whole lot of lawsuits after this thing settles down.

naturalgyrl5199

They absolutely can possibly do it. I know that those nurses can't make the call but every company pays somebody to figure out how to not catch an Osha case. Our cubicle set up is open and has people within 6 feet of each other. After determining who absolutely had to be in the office the answer was to make our reception area "less pretty" and set up makeshift desks for people. In a hospital, you got rooms everywhere, move the nurses to where they aren't on top of each other cuz the alternative is sick nurses who can't do the hospital no good.

I sit on multiple zoom calls with employees every month and when our compliance person tells them what they need to do and they tell them why it's hard I step in and tell them that my position is they should do what's hard or inconvenient for their health and not taking the chance on bringing something back to their family. It doesn't do them or the company any good to be out of work isolated for 14 days or longer.

It's go be a whole lot of lawsuits after this thing settles down.
If you knew exactly who I worked for....who been all over the news...I'm just trying to lay low and keep sane. But I'll have my popcorn ready.

Ganjababy

I Have done the test twice now and it’s nothing like the picture lol. They go up maybe 1.5 inches? i am glad. But I do wonder if this is what is causing so many false negatives?
I have to do the COVID test next week for work. I am nervous. Yes I am a chicken. Whenever I have to do any invasive exams I am given a prescription for one tablet of an antianxiety medication (due to ptsd).

Obviously I cannot ask my doc for medication for taking a covid test. I would just look ridiculous lol. Plus waste their important time and resources. So I have to put on my big gal drawers and take the test...

View attachment 461383

Shudders...