The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Black Ambrosia

I have my annual exam tomorrow morning. I had to get a covid test to be able to see the doctor. None of my other health care providers are requiring this. I don't blame the doctors but I find it odd that I'm not hearing of more practices doing this.

Black Ambrosia

I must’ve missed that. I guess some quarantine is better than no quarantine.

CDC says 14-day Covid-19 quarantine can be shortened to 7 to 10 days

(CNN) — Covid-19 quarantine periods can be as short as seven to 10 days for some people, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday, but a 14-day quarantine after coronavirus exposure remains the safest option.

In new guidance, CDC says people could leave quarantine without taking a test if they do not develop any symptoms 10 days after being exposed to someone else with coronavirus, or after seven days with a negative test result and no symptoms.

The change comes as Covid-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths are on the rise around the United States -- and with that, more people facing quarantine.

he new quarantine guidance was based on "extensive" modeling by CDC and other agencies that showed the risk is low, Dr. John Brooks, chief medical officer for CDC's Covid-19 response, said during a telebriefing Wednesday. Many people end quarantine early because of pressure to return to work and school, CDC officials said, and some aren't willing to share names of contacts they fear will then be required to quarantine.

But if the quarantine period is reduced from 14 days, more people may be willing to stay home after exposure, the CDC said -- and that may result in fewer coronavirus infections.

"We believe that if we can reduce the burden a little bit, accepting that it comes at a small cost, we may get a greater compliance overall with people completing a full quarantine," Brooks said. "If we get more people on board to complete that overall, that will result in fewer infections."

Risk of transmission after ending quarantine early​

There's still some risk a person who left quarantine before 14 days could transmit the virus to others.

"We can safely reduce the length of quarantine, but accepting there is a small residual risk that a person who is leaving quarantine early could transmit to someone else if they became infectious," Brooks said.

If a person quarantined for 10 days and had no symptoms and no test, the residual risk of transmitting coronavirus to someone else after quarantine is estimated to be about 1%, with an upper limit of about 10%, the CDC said on its website.

If a person quarantined for seven days and had no symptoms and a negative test, the risk of transmitting coronavirus is about 5%, with an upper limit of about 12%.

A PCR or antigen test should be collected within 48 hours before the end of quarantine, CDC says, but quarantine should not end before seven days, even if rest results are returned earlier.

People who have been exposed should still watch for symptoms for 14 days, especially if they end quarantine early, Dr. Henry Walke, CDC's Covid-19 incident manager, said Wednesday.

And if a person goes on to develop symptoms, they should contact their local health authorities and health care provider, seek out testing and isolate.

Local public health agencies' recommendations may differ from CDC's, too.

"Everyone should follow this specific guidance from their local public health authorities about how long they should quarantine," Walke said.

Recommended limits on travel​

CDC officials also said Wednesday that people who choose to travel should limit their activities afterward -- and the safest choice over the upcoming winter holidays is to stay home.

"CDC recommends that the best way to protect yourself and others is to postpone travel and stay home," Walke said.

If people do decide to travel, "CDC recommends that travelers consider getting tested one to three days before travel," Walke said. "And then again three to five days after travel."

Testing should be combined with reducing non-essential activities for a full seven days after traveling, he said. For those who don't get tested after traveling, CDC recommends non-essential activities be reduced for 10 days.

"Testing does not eliminate all risk, but when combined with reducing non-essential activities, symptom screening and continuing with precautions like wearing masks, social distancing and hand washing, it can make travel safer," Walke said.

Before Thanksgiving, CDC made a similar recommendation, urging people to stay home and celebrate only with those in their household.

"We know it's a hard decision and that people need to have time to prepare and have discussions with family and friends and to make these decisions, and people travel for different reasons," Dr. Cindy Friedman, chief of the traveler's health branch at CDC, told the briefing. "But our recommendations are trying to help give them the tools they need to make these tough choices."

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
People have been bugging me for months to get this for the office and my rebuttal was always that these killed bacteria but there was no guarantee that it could kill coronavirus. Now I'm even gladder that I didn't.

Doctors warn about eye damage from UV lights to kill the coronavirus​

Florida researchers report at least seven cases of patients with UVC damage to the cornea.

Nov. 25, 2020, 3:01 PM PST
By Linda Carroll

People trying to kill the coronavirus with ultraviolet C germicidal lamps may risk painful eye injuries if they aren't careful, a recent study finds. Florida researchers report at least seven cases of patients with UVC damage to the cornea, the eye's outer layer, that left them with burning sensations and sensitivity to light after they used the lamps, according to a report published in Ocular Immunology and Inflammation. "The clear part of the surface of the eye happens to be very susceptible to the wavelength of the light from these lamps," said Dr. Jesse Sengillo, an ophthalmologist at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of the University of Miami Health System.

Painful inflammation of the cornea, a condition called photokeratitis, can occur when the cornea is overexposed to ultraviolet radiation.University of Miami Health System's Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
The eye damage is "like a sunburn to the cornea," Sengillo said. "It's quite painful, and it takes a couple of days to heal. People often have trouble opening their eyes because they are sensitive to light and their eyes are red and itchy. One patient said, 'My eyes are on fire.'"

The burning sensation doesn't occur immediately, so some of the patients didn't realize they had damaged their eyes using UVC lamps hours earlier. People who want to use the lamps should turn them on and then leave the room until it's time to turn them off, Sengillo said. Sengillo suggests that anyone who has eye pain after having used the germicidal lamps see a doctor for ointments to ease the burning sensation and to get antibiotics, because such injuries are susceptible to infection. Patients have continued to trickle into the Eye Institute, Sengillo said. "We have noticed that they seem to come in waves," he said. "We noticed, as Covid-19 infections have increased in Miami, cases of cornea damage are starting to pick up again."
Beyond Miami, it's unclear how common UVC lamp eye damage is, but the reports didn't surprise Dr. Deepinder Dhaliwal, an ophthalmologist in Pittsburgh.

"We're all trying now to increase safety for the public, and these UVC devices can be very helpful antimicrobials," said Dhaliwal, a professor of ophthalmology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. The light they emit "looks relatively harmless, and if people aren't aware they shouldn't be looking directly into the light, they may not realize that it's harmful."

The Food and Drug Administration suggests that UVC radiation might inactivate SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, but it warns about reports of skin and eye burns caused by improper installation of UVC lamps in rooms.
"People understand that when they go out in the sun, they can get sunburned," Dhaliwal said. "What they may not realize is that, even though this is UVC, it can also cause damage. The eye is vulnerable, and if you're going to use this kind of device, you should wear eye protection."

It's also possible that people might be somewhere that has a UVC lamp and not realize that it could hurt their eyes, Dhaliwal said. "If you enter a room and see a funny-looking light, don't look directly at it, and use eye protection."

PatDM'T

CDC says 14-day Covid-19 quarantine can be shortened to 7 to 10 days

(CNN) — Covid-19 quarantine periods can be as short as seven to 10 days for some people, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday, but a 14-day quarantine after coronavirus exposure remains the safest option.

In new guidance, CDC says people could leave quarantine without taking a test if they do not develop any symptoms 10 days after being exposed to someone else with coronavirus, or after seven days with a negative test result and no symptoms.

The change comes as Covid-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths are on the rise around the United States -- and with that, more people facing quarantine.

he new quarantine guidance was based on "extensive" modeling by CDC and other agencies that showed the risk is low, Dr. John Brooks, chief medical officer for CDC's Covid-19 response, said during a telebriefing Wednesday. Many people end quarantine early because of pressure to return to work and school, CDC officials said, and some aren't willing to share names of contacts they fear will then be required to quarantine.

But if the quarantine period is reduced from 14 days, more people may be willing to stay home after exposure, the CDC said -- and that may result in fewer coronavirus infections.

"We believe that if we can reduce the burden a little bit, accepting that it comes at a small cost, we may get a greater compliance overall with people completing a full quarantine," Brooks said. "If we get more people on board to complete that overall, that will result in fewer infections."

Risk of transmission after ending quarantine early​

There's still some risk a person who left quarantine before 14 days could transmit the virus to others.

"We can safely reduce the length of quarantine, but accepting there is a small residual risk that a person who is leaving quarantine early could transmit to someone else if they became infectious," Brooks said.

If a person quarantined for 10 days and had no symptoms and no test, the residual risk of transmitting coronavirus to someone else after quarantine is estimated to be about 1%, with an upper limit of about 10%, the CDC said on its website.

If a person quarantined for seven days and had no symptoms and a negative test, the risk of transmitting coronavirus is about 5%, with an upper limit of about 12%.

A PCR or antigen test should be collected within 48 hours before the end of quarantine, CDC says, but quarantine should not end before seven days, even if rest results are returned earlier.

People who have been exposed should still watch for symptoms for 14 days, especially if they end quarantine early, Dr. Henry Walke, CDC's Covid-19 incident manager, said Wednesday.

And if a person goes on to develop symptoms, they should contact their local health authorities and health care provider, seek out testing and isolate.

Local public health agencies' recommendations may differ from CDC's, too.

"Everyone should follow this specific guidance from their local public health authorities about how long they should quarantine," Walke said.

Recommended limits on travel​

CDC officials also said Wednesday that people who choose to travel should limit their activities afterward -- and the safest choice over the upcoming winter holidays is to stay home.

"CDC recommends that the best way to protect yourself and others is to postpone travel and stay home," Walke said.

If people do decide to travel, "CDC recommends that travelers consider getting tested one to three days before travel," Walke said. "And then again three to five days after travel."

Testing should be combined with reducing non-essential activities for a full seven days after traveling, he said. For those who don't get tested after traveling, CDC recommends non-essential activities be reduced for 10 days.

"Testing does not eliminate all risk, but when combined with reducing non-essential activities, symptom screening and continuing with precautions like wearing masks, social distancing and hand washing, it can make travel safer," Walke said.

Before Thanksgiving, CDC made a similar recommendation, urging people to stay home and celebrate only with those in their household.

"We know it's a hard decision and that people need to have time to prepare and have discussions with family and friends and to make these decisions, and people travel for different reasons," Dr. Cindy Friedman, chief of the traveler's health branch at CDC, told the briefing. "But our recommendations are trying to help give them the tools they need to make these tough choices."
CDC is really
annoying me
with their continually
moving the
goalpost to
fit into some
idiot's plan/wish.

That to me is as
crazy as giving
the baby the
razor blade he
wants to
stop him from
crying.

There is no
good reason
IMO to not err
on the side of
caution and stick
to 14 days.

Their lax
attitude will
lead to
super-spreaders
who had no
problem with
quarantining for
14 days but did
not do so because
they thought it
was unnecessary.

You would think
that after all the
people who have
died due to Rump
downplaying the virus
and how cases keep
going up, safety first
would be the focus.

Argh! :angry2:

Lylddlebit

CDC is really
annoying me
with their continually
moving the
goalpost to
fit into some
idiot's plan/wish.

That to me is as
crazy as giving
the baby the
razor blade he
wants to
stop him from
crying.

There is no
good reason
IMO to not err
on the side of
caution and stick
to 14 days.

Their lax
attitude will
lead to
super-spreaders
who had no
problem with
quarantining for
14 days but did
not do so because
they thought it
was unnecessary.

You would think
that after all the
people who have
died due to Rump
downplaying the virus
and how cases keep
going up, safety first
would be the focus.

Argh! :angry2:
& @Black Ambrosia
Exactly. I remember when the earlier studies showed good evidence for incubation period extending to around 28 days and the 14 day quarantine was the compromise they landed on because most patients would test positive by then although they knew many had incubation periods longer than that (I wish I could still find those abstracts but there are so many studies on it now it's buried when I search for those). I know some improvements have occurred since then but they know the incubation period is longer than these recommendations and this is about politics that appease the masses. I am not fooling with this nonsense. May common sense and examining all the evidence prevail until the worst truly subsides.

Last edited:

vevster

My dentist who does a podcast on how Vitamin D is the key to the universe also sells supplements at his practice which are far more expensive but have the same ingredients as the ones I purchase at Vitamin Shoppe.
My dentist sells a bunch of $$$ stuff too. But I decide where and when I get my supplements. If you have a prescription for D from your doctor -- it is probably D2 not the best form.... Not sure why you are attempting to debunk the efficacy of D3. A lot of studies have come out in the past few months. Many people of color are severely deficient and should know their number and take the necessary steps to fix that in a pandemic.

naturalgyrl5199

Ya'll I can't.

So a new hire (like working here 2 weeks...a young BW) came to work coughing today. Her supervisor has a fragile immune system and promptly freaks out cause the child tells her that her live in BF tested positive. They send her home. She and then all the staff at work today take rapid tests that are all negative. But my spidey senses are up. Sure enough when I inquire more, the girl came in exactly one week ago with a cough and had taken a test that prior weekend and it was negative. I call our lead epidemiologist ( a sister) and says we have to assume she is a presumptive positive bc symptoms x7 days. I'm upset bc at first my Epi person was like she can come back to work as an essential worker if she is asymptomatic...but she IS symptomatic so I told her she gone stay her &*^ at home. I called her behind myself --she was SHOOKETH cause I'm the Director-and told her to get BACK to the testing site TODAY and take a confirmatory PCR test and then go to her doctor or urgent care for a flu test. I told her its EXTREMELY irresponsible to even come to the office with a cough knowing your live in BF has a positive test and you been coughing a good week. Then she said not only is he positive but he is SUPER SUPER SICK --and ya'll know she is probably his caretaker! I wanted to throw the phone.

This is the kind of foolishness that has our country stuck. My staff are now getting N95s and they are all getting PCR tests. Thank GOD I am not having these clients come into the office at all. I want to fire her for being stupid.
I should be able to fire her for stupidity. OH and the testing system is crap--bloated, and labs are making a profit.

Her dumb butt never went for the PCR she just waited 2 days and got a rapid test that came out positive test yesterday. Her BF lied and said he had no direct contacts but then she finally told contact tracers last night her BF was positive but she didn't disclose she coughed all over her co-workers, just that she had a cough regarding "other activities." I wish I could fire her.

ETA: She and he are minimizing and I suspect she is smoking weed outside of work (her business--IDC).

Then come to find out the one person she coughed on has a weak immune system and her husband is a doctor with one of the largest medical practices in a smallish town 30 mins from here. He sees them age 0 to 100+. And he moonlights as an ER doc...so yeah I'm livid. Because she is silly...she refused her isolation letter but doesn't understand, as her boss' boss I'm privy to way more than she thinks. She doesn't understand she needs that letter to get paid leave she isn't otherwise eligible for. So I have to explain to her her rights, and figure out a way to gently/legally explain to her what a poopstorm she is starting and the potential impact of exposure.

Its systematic bc the private lab that took over the testing site just gives everyone a rapid test that isn't super sensitive in the early stages. My staff member with the weak immune system asked for a PCR and got a rapid anyway bc supposedly its cheaper. So I had to make calls and of course I got the HNIC. He claims she can throw his name around and ask for a PCR and get it on demand bc she is front line. We will test that theory Saturday. Meanwhile dummy last week got 2 negative rapids---exposed folk and then finally got the positive. Health Dept. leadership here isn't existent under DeSantis.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

My dentist sells a bunch of $$$ stuff too. But I decide where and when I get my supplements. If you have a prescription for D from your doctor -- it is probably D2 not the best form.... Not sure why you are attempting to debunk the efficacy of D3. A lot of studies have come out in the past few months. Many people of color are severely deficient and should know their number and take the necessary steps to fix that in a pandemic.
Did you read what I wrote or are you responding to what you think I’m saying? The reason I’m asking is you quoted me saying I buy Vitamins from Vitamin Shoppe which is a supplement store but inquire about whether I’m taking prescription medicine.

From reading what I wrote it’s obvious that I’m not debunking the efficacy of vitamin D. It’s also obvious that I’m saying put as much research into investigating the claims that support confirmation bias that are invested in raging against the machine. If vitamin D puts money in someone’s pocket and they market conspiracy theories then they are doing the same thing as Trump and the prescription drugs he was calling out as miracle cures that we’re going to find out he’s invested in.

vevster

Did you read what I wrote or are you responding to what you think I’m saying? The reason I’m asking is you quoted me saying I buy Vitamins from Vitamin Shoppe which is a supplement store but inquire about whether I’m taking prescription medicine.

From reading what I wrote it’s obvious that I’m not debunking the efficacy of vitamin D. It’s also obvious that I’m saying put as much research into investigating the claims that support confirmation bias that are invested in raging against the machine. If vitamin D puts money in someone’s pocket and they market conspiracy theories then they are doing the same thing as Trump and the prescription drugs he was calling out as miracle cures that we’re going to find out he’s invested in.
You've just come into this thread and my thread in the Natural forum with negativity, IMO. Functional medicine doctors are BETTER than the doctors I've dealt with. So what if they sell supplements, it is a revenue stream for them which I am fine with. I choose wisely.

Transformer

You've just come into this thread and my thread in the Natural forum with negativity, IMO. Functional medicine doctors are BETTER than the doctors I've dealt with. So what if they sell supplements, it is a revenue stream for them which I am fine with. I choose wisely.

Have you ever used Fullscript? That’s the supplement supplier my functional medicine doctor uses.

Crackers Phinn

Vev, I am glad that whatever you are doing is working for you.

Questioning is not negativity. Questioning is not a moral or ethical position. Questioning is not personal. I noticed that you didn't call it negativity when I question vaccines in this thread which I would guesstimate that you agree with being challenged. As the kids say, keep the same energy, when I question the things you disagree with being challenged. Most of all don't take it personal.

Just to clear the air or for lack of a better word debunking - I don't follow anybody around the forum questioning them out of spite or sport. I read a thread title, if it or the direction of the topic moves me to comment, I do so and move on.

qchelle

Took the COVID test last Friday. The Maryland State Tests Results site has been down all week. What do folks like us do? DD was told that she can go back to work tomorrow.

I took a covid test at 6 flags (MD dept of health testing site) last Friday, too. Once I found out the portal to view results was down, I went elsewhere, to First Call Medical Center in Gambrills. The wait was about an hour and they do both *rapid tests and PCR tests. You get your rapid test results by the end of the same day. I got mine in about 3hrs, via an email and link to their portal. It was very straightforward. You get your PCR test results in 3-5 days.

*Rapid tests are supposedly less specific, produce more false positives/negatives, and are more accurate for symptomatic people with high viral loads.
PCR tests are more specific and more reliable, but take much longer to process.

Transformer

I took a covid test at 6 flags (MD dept of health testing site) last Friday, too. Once I found out the portal to view results was down, I went elsewhere, to First Call Medical Center in Gambrills. The wait was about an hour and they do both *rapid tests and PCR tests. You get your rapid test results by the end of the same day. I got mine in about 3hrs, via an email and link to their portal. It was very straightforward. You get your PCR test results in 3-5 days.

*Rapid tests are supposedly less specific, produce more false positives/negatives, and are more accurate for symptomatic people with high viral loads.
PCR tests are more specific and more reliable, but take much longer to process.

Glad there’s proof that I’m not an idiot and it was human error on me accessing the site. I think we are going to go to First Call also.

qchelle

Glad there’s proof that I’m not an idiot and it was human error on me accessing the site. I think we are going to go to First Call also.

I just checked again (ciandx portal) and it looks like they've fixed whatever the issue was. Try it now.

Transformer

I just checked again (ciandx portal) and it looks like they've fixed whatever the issue was. Try it now.
Hubby's information was available on the portal but mine is still not there. The State called me yesterday and gave me my negative results.
Concerned though and might have to redo do the timeline. Took the test 3 days after DD's testing positive. Should be at least 5 days. Also, they told DD that she will test positive for probably the next 8 weeks.