The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I would be very surprised if vaccination will be made mandatory by the U.S. government. The gubment don't want to be in that particular business because the optics aren't good. Vaccination is more likely to be enforced on an employer case by case basis. It will likely be put that "you" either want a job or you want to remain unvaccinated and that's how the majority will be compelled to vaccinate.
I would’ve thought the same but this is starting to feel different. Between the GQP shenanigans and new strains appearing im starting to get a very bad feeling.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I would’ve thought the same but this is starting to feel different. Between the GQP shenanigans and new strains appearing im starting to get a very bad feeling.
Yeah but the Biden administration knew from the WHO and CDC that all the mutant strain hitting India and Europe were going to get here in a matter of time. I'm thinking somebody with lots of letters behind their name ran the numbers and said if we can get a minimum of X% the population vaccinated then statistically it would keep the hospitals from being overrun.

Joe don't seem like the type to like to repeat himself. He done tole errbody what to do and if they don't then oh well. Frankly, I'd respect his legacy if the plan is to give the anti-maskers, conspiracy theorists, election deniers exactly what they say they want and let nature take it's course. If a huge chunk of the Trump voting population keeled over from the alleged hoax, will they really be missed? The other end of this is vaccinated people people continue to be warned not go get too comfortable. In the end, the governments stance is going to be "can't nobody say they weren't told what to do and what not to do to keep themselves safe".

BrownBetty

Yeah but the Biden administration knew from the WHO and CDC that all the mutant strain hitting India and Europe were going to get here in a matter of time. I'm thinking somebody with lots of letters behind their name ran the numbers and said if we can get a minimum of X% the population vaccinated then statistically it would keep the hospitals from being overrun.

Joe don't seem like the type to like to repeat himself. He done tole errbody what to do and if they don't then oh well. Frankly, I'd respect his legacy if the plan is to give the anti-maskers, conspiracy theorists, election deniers exactly what they say they want and let nature take it's course. If a huge chunk of the Trump voting population keeled over from the alleged hoax, will they really be missed? The other end of this is vaccinated people people continue to be warned not go get too comfortable. In the end, the governments stance is going to be "can't nobody say they weren't told what to do and what not to do to keep themselves safe".
I told a friend this last month. We were out and the state had just dropped the mask mandate. I told him that I was paying attention to the WHO with everyone should mask indoors. The US government is tired of playing with folks, do whatcha like and suffer the consequences.

I'm going to a wedding next week. I will pack my masks and leave if I don't feel comfortable. There's certain amount of risk I'm willing to take and not be stupid.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity

Yeah, I do agree. Joe can’t risk the “seditionists” acting out if vaccines become mandatory. It’s those mutations I’m worried about. If they wanna die, have at it, but their foolishness is gonna screw the rest of us. I’m so frustrated because I wanted to retire and travel in 2020. Thought maybe by 2022 it would be possible. But I guess I just need to put alladat aside and just make my home as safe and comfortable as I can. Cause obviously this won’t be over anytime soon.

TrulyBlessed

naturalgyrl5199

naturalgyrl5199

This.

Oh and a lot of Anti-vaxxers be lying. They good and vaxxed. Their followers aren't. So there is that.

Crackers Phinn

This is behind a paywall. Could you copy/paste?
Not the same source

Houston event highlights risk

Covid cluster detected after two from India attend US wedding​

Genome sequencing from six patients, who attended the open-air event in Houston — all vaccinated — suggests the strain may be able to evade immune responses
Representative image.

Representative image.
Shutterstock

G.S. Mudur | New Delhi | Published 06.07.21, 02:06 AM

A cluster of four Covid-19 cases detected after two guests from India attended an open-air wedding near Houston, Texas, has underlined the capacity of the Delta coronavirus variant to cause infections in recipients of multiple vaccines.
Genome sequencing of viruses from the six patients — all vaccinated — suggests the Delta variant may be able to evade immune responses in patients who have received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or India’s Covaxin, researchers at the Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, said.
Advertisement

Joseph Petrosino, director of molecular virology, and his colleagues probed six Covid-19 cases in April that occurred soon after a wedding gathering in a large, open-air tent with 92 attendees, for which the guests required to be fully vaccinated.
They found that a man, designated patient “0a”, and a woman, designated patient “0b”, both in their 60s, had travelled from India to Houston to attend the wedding, 10 days after receiving their second Covaxin doses.
The woman complained of fatigue on the first night of the wedding. The man developed a cough two days after the wedding and both developed a fever after three days. Both tested positive for Covid-19 four days after the wedding.
Four other patients with breakthrough infections who tested positive confirmed having close encounters with patients 0a and 0b during the wedding. Two of them had received the Pfizer vaccine, while the other two had received the Moderna vaccine.
“Encounter timings and viral sequence similarities suggest that the strain containing the Delta variant was transmitted to wedding guests from two patients travelling from India,” the BCM researchers said in a research paper not peer-reviewed yet but posted on medRxiv, a pre-print server, on Sunday.
Their study suggests that antibodies elicited in patients who had received the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and Covaxin may provide decreased immunity to the Delta variant. It is possible that some individuals in the study had failed to produce an effective immune response, the researchers said.
Patient 0a was admitted to a hospital where his symptoms continued to worsen and where he died a month later.
In an independent study conducted across three hospitals in Delhi, researchers have found that the Delta variant not only dominated infections among vaccinated healthcare workers, it could also spread rapidly among fully vaccinated healthcare workers.
Medical researchers say the findings from both the Houston and Delhi studies highlight the importance of continuing precautions such as wearing a mask and avoiding crowds even after vaccination.
“These results should be eye-openers for fully vaccinated people that they cannot lower their guard,” said Chand Wattal, the chair of clinical microbiology and immunology at the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, one of the three participating hospitals in Delhi.
But public health researchers say that despite the emergence of breakthrough infections, all observations to date show a strong protective effect of the vaccines against severe disease. Lab studies have shown that vaccine-elicited antibodies are effective against coronavirus variants.
“Partial efficacy of current vaccines (70 to 75 per cent coverage) is theoretically sufficient to stop a pandemic,” Petrosino and his colleagues said in their paper. “Slowing the spread could prevent the emergence of future variants, hastening the end of this pandemic.”

So you had a giant Indian wedding with people fresh off the plane from the source of the mutation and surprised folks can't smell or taste nothing afterwards.

Stop Playin.

Being outdoors does nothing to prevent the virus spreading if everybody in each others faces like they are in the picture. If the virus gets in your nose, mouth or eyes from an infected person then a swab test will confirm you test positive. vaccination ain't got nothing to do with you inhaling.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

Not the same source

Houston event highlights risk

Covid cluster detected after two from India attend US wedding​

Genome sequencing from six patients, who attended the open-air event in Houston — all vaccinated — suggests the strain may be able to evade immune responses
Representative image.

Representative image.
Shutterstock

G.S. Mudur | New Delhi | Published 06.07.21, 02:06 AM

A cluster of four Covid-19 cases detected after two guests from India attended an open-air wedding near Houston, Texas, has underlined the capacity of the Delta coronavirus variant to cause infections in recipients of multiple vaccines.
Genome sequencing of viruses from the six patients — all vaccinated — suggests the Delta variant may be able to evade immune responses in patients who have received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or India’s Covaxin, researchers at the Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, said.
Advertisement

Joseph Petrosino, director of molecular virology, and his colleagues probed six Covid-19 cases in April that occurred soon after a wedding gathering in a large, open-air tent with 92 attendees, for which the guests required to be fully vaccinated.
They found that a man, designated patient “0a”, and a woman, designated patient “0b”, both in their 60s, had travelled from India to Houston to attend the wedding, 10 days after receiving their second Covaxin doses.
The woman complained of fatigue on the first night of the wedding. The man developed a cough two days after the wedding and both developed a fever after three days. Both tested positive for Covid-19 four days after the wedding.
Four other patients with breakthrough infections who tested positive confirmed having close encounters with patients 0a and 0b during the wedding. Two of them had received the Pfizer vaccine, while the other two had received the Moderna vaccine.
“Encounter timings and viral sequence similarities suggest that the strain containing the Delta variant was transmitted to wedding guests from two patients travelling from India,” the BCM researchers said in a research paper not peer-reviewed yet but posted on medRxiv, a pre-print server, on Sunday.
Their study suggests that antibodies elicited in patients who had received the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and Covaxin may provide decreased immunity to the Delta variant. It is possible that some individuals in the study had failed to produce an effective immune response, the researchers said.
Patient 0a was admitted to a hospital where his symptoms continued to worsen and where he died a month later.
In an independent study conducted across three hospitals in Delhi, researchers have found that the Delta variant not only dominated infections among vaccinated healthcare workers, it could also spread rapidly among fully vaccinated healthcare workers.
Medical researchers say the findings from both the Houston and Delhi studies highlight the importance of continuing precautions such as wearing a mask and avoiding crowds even after vaccination.
“These results should be eye-openers for fully vaccinated people that they cannot lower their guard,” said Chand Wattal, the chair of clinical microbiology and immunology at the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, one of the three participating hospitals in Delhi.
But public health researchers say that despite the emergence of breakthrough infections, all observations to date show a strong protective effect of the vaccines against severe disease. Lab studies have shown that vaccine-elicited antibodies are effective against coronavirus variants.
“Partial efficacy of current vaccines (70 to 75 per cent coverage) is theoretically sufficient to stop a pandemic,” Petrosino and his colleagues said in their paper. “Slowing the spread could prevent the emergence of future variants, hastening the end of this pandemic.”

So you had a giant Indian wedding with people fresh off the plane from the source of the mutation and surprised folks can't smell or taste nothing afterwards.

Stop Playin.

Being outdoors does nothing to prevent the virus spreading if everybody in each others faces like they are in the picture. If the virus gets in your nose, mouth or eyes from an infected person then a swab test will confirm you test positive. vaccination ain't got nothing to do with you inhaling.

Thank you for posting. In addition to what you said the patient zeros were 10 days post vaccinated. Not 14. Sooo... Not fully vaccinated unless that vax plays by different rules.

yamilee21

Thank you for posting. In addition to what you said the patient zeros were 10 days post vaccinated. Not 14. Sooo... Not fully vaccinated unless that vax plays by different rules.
Also, is Covaxin the Astra-Zeneca equivalent, or is it more like the Sinovac/Sinopharm vaccines, which are known to be less effective? There are so many factors possible - were they subject to repeat exposures on the airplane, for example?

Crackers Phinn

This gets to the root of why we can't have nice things. People are told by the experts, don't go do hoodrat things with your friends for 14 days after your final shot but oh no, the smarty art people figure 10 days is close enough cuz you know, what could possibly go wrong with the killer airborne mutated virus? :sick2:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I understand vaccine hesitation because I had it. What i don't understand is being more afraid of the vaccine than the virus. As far as fatalities go, it ain't no contest, Covid catching bodies right, left, up and down. And yes, Covid is still killing fully vaccinated people because a vaccine is not a cure.

Melaninme

sunshinebeautiful

Whew chile :nono: I tell yall what - I just stocked up with a fresh supply of masks and will be wearing them everywhere.

Crackers Phinn

Ya'll thought I was saying this for the chuckles. Kids are the super spreaders especially now that the masks are off.
Yeah see I'm only counting that 46.4% total population number because kids are the no boundary having plague carriers that during regular times are responsible for parents bringing bugs to work that gets the entire office sick. Kids Boo Hisss Booooo!!!

TARZANA (CBSLA) – A Tarzana father of four is warning others that fully vaccinated people can still contract coronavirus, and he knows firsthand how quickly the virus is spreading in Southern California.

William Fisher became fully vaccinated after receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and thought he was safe from COVID-19 but said he was mistaken.

Fisher said his two youngest sons, Kingston, 12, and Phoenix, 10, are unvaccinated and brought the virus home. They infected their dad after playing at a friend’s house with children who were also unvaccinated.

“There’s still 6% of people who got the vaccine and are fully-vaccinated to still succumb to the virus,” said Dr. Michael Hirt, director of the Center For Integrative Medicine in Tarzana.

oneastrocurlie

Ya'll thought I was saying this for the chuckles. Kids are the super spreaders especially now that the masks are off.

TARZANA (CBSLA) – A Tarzana father of four is warning others that fully vaccinated people can still contract coronavirus, and he knows firsthand how quickly the virus is spreading in Southern California.

William Fisher became fully vaccinated after receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and thought he was safe from COVID-19 but said he was mistaken.

Fisher said his two youngest sons, Kingston, 12, and Phoenix, 10, are unvaccinated and brought the virus home. They infected their dad after playing at a friend’s house with children who were also unvaccinated.

“There’s still 6% of people who got the vaccine and are fully-vaccinated to still succumb to the virus,” said Dr. Michael Hirt, director of the Center For Integrative Medicine in Tarzana.

Shooot I took you seriously. The epidemiologist I've shared tweets from has been saying kids spread covid for a while. They experience long covid too.