The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

yamilee21

Hopefully your state is not like my trash one--where independents cannot vote in primaries and certain local elections. Its like a penalty to be one in Fl.
Independents cannot vote in primaries in NY either.
Yeah and this morning's paper is all about us having reduced FDNY(20%), Sanitation (rats!) and NYPD due to this overreach of a mandate.
Let me go fill out my change to be an independent. The Democrats are out of order.

NYPD, DSNY and FDNY are all full of white Republican suburban residents who have only contempt for the city and its people, despite working here. And they hold most of the supervisory positions in these departments, so they set and uphold the culture, which many of the Latino, Asian and even black underlings readily adopt. If the mandates cause some of them to finally clear out, that will probably be a good thing.

Everything Zen

I think they all are. Why aren’t the companies leasing or giving the recipe to other countries? Cuz it’sa money grab.

Moderna pledged free access to the technology and not to enforce IP patent licenses last year:

vevster

Moderna pledged free access to the technology and not to enforce IP patent licenses last year:

Waiting for the deployment.

Leeda.the.Paladin

If I had a recipe for a vaccine or a cure for anything I ain't "giving" it to nobody. I'ma need folks to run me my money.

Vitamins ain't free.

IJS.
Right this is similar (on a much smaller scale) to how people were bad talking folks who sold masks at the beginning of the pandemic. If you knew how to sew, you were expected to just donate masks for sell them for less than the materials, otherwise you were ”selfish”. I know pharmacy companies make a lot of money but they can’t be expected to just give stuff away without compensation.

naturalgyrl5199

If I had a recipe for a vaccine or a cure for anything I ain't "giving" it to nobody. I'ma need folks to run me my money.

Vitamins ain't free.

IJS.

Nor are they FDA approved but its a BILLION DOLLAR business that unregulated AF and no one bats an EYE.

And I say that as a pro-vaccine person who would NEVER give up my vitamins ever.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

Right this is similar (on a much smaller scale) to how people were bad talking folks who sold masks at the beginning of the pandemic. If you knew how to sew, you were expected to just donate masks for sell them for less than the materials, otherwise you were ”selfish”. I know pharmacy companies make a lot of money but they can’t be expected to just give stuff away without compensation.
These are the same folks who are supposedly "pro-capitalism" and Pro-Business.
I mean that's straight crazy talk.

You got people with MD and PhD and Masters levels degrees (many have 2 of the 3 at the same time) working on this stuff (yes they work on mask/textile technology, my school offers a WHOLE DEGREE in textiles) 40+ hrs a week employed by pharma companies and you want them to pay their bills and student loans HOW? With kisses? Air? an IOU?

How are the pharma companies gonna pay their very highly educated workers?

That's why you cannot engage these folk. Its all crazy talk.

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

I started to reply to this yesterday but felt bad for laughing at people being locked inside of Disney. Nightmare doesn’t begin to describe this. Where’d they sleep? Eat? Were the employees stuck there too? If so I’m guessing they were staffing the restaurants so people could eat. I’d be quitting soon.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
I know some were holding out for Novavax. Other countries are approving EUA but not here. Could be because there is already a flux of vaccines (3 options in the USA).

Indonesia is first country to authorize Novavax Covid-19 vaccine​

The two-dose vaccine, which is easier to transport and store than other shots, could play an important role in increasing supplies in developing countries.
A Covid-19 vaccine being administered at a community health center outside Jakarta, Indonesia, on Oct. 28, 2021.

A Covid-19 vaccine being administered at a community health center outside Jakarta, Indonesia, on Oct. 28, 2021.Tatan Syuflana / AP

Nov. 2, 2021, 1:26 AM EDT / Source: Associated Press
By The Associated Press
JAKARTA, Indonesia — Biotechnology company Novavax said Monday that Indonesia has given the world's first emergency use authorization for its Covid-19 vaccine, which uses a different technology than currently used shots.
The vaccine doesn't require the extremely cold storage temperatures that some other vaccines need, which could allow it to play an important role in increasing supplies in poorer countries around the world.

New vaccine from Novavax may be highly effective, clinical trials show

JUNE 14, 202102:14

The two-dose Novavax vaccine is made with lab-grown copies of the spike protein that coats the coronavirus. That’s very different from widely used mRNA vaccines such as Pfizer and Moderna that deliver genetic instructions for the body to make its own spike protein.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news and politics
The emergency authorization of the vaccine is a “very important step” for Indonesia's Covid-19 vaccination program, Indonesian epidemiologist Dicky Budiman said.
“This vaccine will be much easier to transport, store and distribute in a place like Indonesia, where we have many islands,” he said.
Budiman said if the rollout of the vaccine is successful, it could lead to its approval and use in other developing nations.
The need for more vaccines remains critical in many countries, including Indonesia.
In June, U.S.-based Novavax announced the vaccine had proven about 90 percent effective against symptomatic Covid-19 in a study of nearly 30,000 people in the U.S. and Mexico. It also worked against variants circulating in those countries at the time, it said.

Recommended​

CULTURE MATTERSFrom 'Spencer' to 'The Crown': The cultural reappraisal of Princess Diana

U.S. NEWSKyle Rittenhouse was 'drawn to the chaos' of Kenosha, Wisconsin, prosecutor says

The company said side effects were mild and included tenderness at the injection site, headache, aches and pains and fatigue.
In October, it addressed concerns that production of the vaccine had been slowed due to a lack of raw materials and other issues, saying it planned to “achieve a capacity of 150 million doses per month by the end of the fourth quarter” through partnerships with Serum Institute of India, SK Bioscience in South Korea and Takeda in Japan, among others.
Novavax said it has already filed for authorization of the vaccine in the United Kingdom, European Union, Canada, Australia, India and the Philippines.
Indonesia was battered by a deadly wave of Covid-19 fueled by the delta variant and post-holiday travel from June through August. New cases have now dropped, averaging fewer than 1,000 a day since mid-October.
About 36 percent of people in Indonesia have received two doses of a vaccine, and about 58 percent have received one dose, according to the Ministry of Health.
More than 143,400 people have died from the virus in Indonesia. The number is thought to be an undercount due to low testing and tracing.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
Have any of you all received or plan on receiving the booster shot?
I'm considering it but am somewhat hesitant (probably not for good reason :drunk: ). I had Moderna originally so I would get a Moderna booster. Eventually I'll do it, but have read some of the ahem, noise, about ADE so that's the only reason I'm hesitant. Haven't had a chance to really read up on the topic of ADE.

BrownBetty

I'm considering it but am somewhat hesitant (probably not for good reason :drunk: ). I had Moderna originally so I would get a Moderna booster. Eventually I'll do it, but have read some of the ahem, noise, about ADE so that's the only reason I'm hesitant. Haven't had a chance to really read up on the topic of ADE.
I read up on mixing the vaccines for betrer effectiveness. I want the moderna booster but will take Phizer.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I have gotten my booster. Third dose of Pfizer.
Did you have any bad reactions from the booster? I'm hearing some people (personally known to me) who had no bad reactions from the initial shots, but had reactions to the booster and v/v. I had a bad reaction to the 1st, but not the 2nd shot, so not sure how I'll react to the booster.