The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

pear

I will get the 4th, 5th, 6th... X# of shots. I figured this will be a yearly shot. It seems we missed the boat a while ago to be rid of covid.

Yeah I’m not happy about the thought of yet another shot but after losing yet another relative in their 30’s to this virus earlier this week, I will just have to suck it up and do what I have to do because the virus doesn’t care about my feelings.

I am more angry that people trotting around unmasked and unvaccinated like everything’s cool. I am more angry with pastors and politicians telling their sheeple that the vaccine is evil and doctors and scientists can’t be trusted. They are a big part of the reason why it feels like there is no end in sight.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I will get my 4th jab next year (in 12 mos). I did my 3rd one 11 mos after my 1st 2 series. I'm good. I'll come back when they do a combined Flu/COVID jab. (they'll come up with that by spring anyways). Pfizer wants da money.

But for real its just new version of the old one. It will replace all previous series with improved strains. No big deal over here. People getting the COVID shot for the first time will get this 4th version from Pfizer and then just need to do it yearly from there.

Same here. I'll probably get my 3rd jab in February, which will be one year from my first shot. There are a few childhood vaccine series that are on a similar schedule so I feel good with the timeline. I kind of wish they had the combo now. I have to get my flu shot next week and I could get the booster but I don't feel like having 2 sore arms and GI issues during my last minute holiday shopping.

naturalgyrl5199

Same here. I'll probably get my 3rd jab in February, which will be one year from my first shot. There are a few childhood vaccine series that are on a similar schedule so I feel good with the timeline. I kind of wish they had the combo now. I have to get my flu shot next week and I could get the booster but I don't feel like having 2 sore arms and GI issues during my last minute holiday shopping.
I did my flu shot a week before my COVID booster. But I'm pretty sure it was the booster that had me soo tired. My co-worker's husband and a former colleague of mine all had 1-2 days of straight fatigue....no illness, no symptoms, just tired. Or maybe "sleepy" describes it more...IDK.

What's strange is during my waking hours I didn't feel tired. But as soon as I sat down, or was relaxed, I just felt an urge to take a nap or call it a night.

oneastrocurlie

My job's CEO over the summer: While the county is still in the red according to the CDC covid case tracker, employees are to work from home.

Same dude this month: Well these cases numbers ain't going down and we paying for this building so ya'll coming back in some capacity starting early next year.

Guess they got tired waiting for people to stop catching covid so much.

dancinstallion

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...excess-deaths-almost-double-amid-omicron-wave

Omicron Wave Sees South Africa’s Weekly Excess Deaths Almost Double​

South African excess deaths, a measure of mortality above a historical average, almost doubled in the week ending Nov. 28 from the preceding seven-day period as a new coronavirus variant spread across the country.

During the period 2,076 more people died than would normally be expected, the South African Medical Research Council said in a report on Wednesday. That compares with 1,091 the week earlier.

The rise, while only reflecting a week of data, contrasts with hospitalization numbers that show that most admissions have mild forms of the coronavirus, spurring hope that the omicron variant is more benign than earlier strains.

Excess deaths are seen as a more accurate measure of the impact of Covid-19 than official deaths. While South Africa’s official coronavirus death toll is just over 90,000 the number of excess deaths during the pandemic is 275,000. During the week to Nov. 28 just 174 deaths were officially attributed to the respiratory disease.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

Got to hear Kizzmekia Corbett (Black scientist who developed the Moderna shot) speak at the virtual ASCB conference yesterday. It was really interesting hearing about how the shot was developed!
Isn't she great? Like she has had her hand in that vaccine before they verified it as a pandemic. They were literally getting in front of things. Which is why I wanted the Moderna. It has a BW's fingerprint on it. So I wanted it.

naturalgyrl5199

naturalgyrl5199

Rather than rest on a Sunday I rested a bit yesterday after a VERY tiring week. I'd planned yesterday to be a cleaning day but I literally had no umph.......that starts over for me tomorrow. I have 4 days until I take the biggest exam of my life. I need to have a couple meetings tomorrow and do clinic. I was supposed to host interns but its going to be virtual now. I pushed tomorrow's meeting for them to Tuesday. Today I need to study and deep clean some more. Its sheet/blanket wash day. My washer has a "sanitize" setting that really turns up the heat on the wash. Then its back to cleaning, and tossing toys, cleaning their dozens of stuffed animals, etc.....Its 11 AM and I'm so tired already. My husband is doing all the cooking and childminding today. He will help the oldest with schoolwork So....prayers for strength needed.

The good news is everyone here is doing fine, the oldest with COVID feels good, is playing, and just has a little cabin fever. They've been on immune boosting vitamins for weeks. They literally eat the equivalent of 1/2 their weight in fruits and veggies weekly and very little meat, cows milk (except yogurt which they absolutely love) and lots of water.
Silver lining: The toddler, who is COVID negative continues to nurse. Since I'm vaccinated, she has been getting a bit of a passive immunity from me since December and January. She is closer to weaning, but not ready to stop I can see. I will likely get my booster the end of the month or next month. I suspect she may have eluded sickness due to that--despite her exposure--- IF THE SCIENCE ON PASSIVE IMMUNITY VIA BREASTMILK and mom's vaccine status is right :)
The eldest with COVID was nursed herself until she was almost 4. Her immune system is amazing but I never want to test it. She beat so many things. SOOO many things already. But for her---she herself will have immunity hopefully through the end of the year simply by surviving this thing. She asked for a vaccine but is too young. So I have hope.
So I passed it.
I'm one of only 2 black IBCLCs (International Board Certified Lactation Consultants) in my county-well for my entire 6-county region. The one other black lactation consultant is retiring in the next 3 or so years. Its hard to break into this certification as it is. #FLORIDA :(
Now for the hard work of bringing more in.

oneastrocurlie

So I passed it.
I'm one of only 2 black IBCLCs (International Board Certified Lactation Consultants) in my county-well for my entire 6-county region. The one other black lactation consultant is retiring in the next 3 or so years. Its hard to break into this certification as it is. #FLORIDA :(

Congratulations!

Ganjababy

So I passed it.
Congratulation!:bounceline::circle::congrats::thewave::urock::worship2:

Ganjababy

Four family members were supposed to be coming for Christmas, and their airline company cancelled their flight. I made a big preparation with Christmas decorations and groceries and presents. I am so tired of being tired of this pandemic. Trying to look on the bright side. I would have hated for them to be stuck with me, unable to go back home…

Last edited: