The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

naturalgyrl5199

I’m sorry @naturalgyrl5199 - I resigned myself to the same timeline last year but my anxiety isn’t on 10 because I at least have access to the vaccine and I’m fully dosed and boosted. All you can do is what you already been doing and love your wayward family from afar. I’ve already resigned myself to the fact that @Crackers Phinn stared:everyone ain’t gonna make and it’s not your job to protect them from themselves.

I think of it this way- COVID is a more acute version of watching all of us carry on with the bad habits that eventually catch up to us in spite of many warning:
- the morbidly obese continuing with poor life style habits
- the smokers smoking after bypass surgery
- the alcoholics drinking themselves to death
- men refusing/delaying their annual exams
colonoscopies and urologists wondering why
they have stage 4 colon and prostate cancer bc
those exams are gay.

It is what it is.
Sad Facts.
But I'm not finna let these dummies in my family hurt my vulnerable family members who ARE doing the right thing... Fortunately dad is vaxxed and boosted so he has that going. So is grandma and step mom. Plus he eats so healthy. But them dummies have to stay away.

Man I had a client today: Pregnant. Smokes weed and cigarettes. Doesn't care. Doesn't take nausea meds because its "artificial" but I reminded her those cigs are full of contaminants as is her weed source.

fula97

Sad Facts.
But I'm not finna let these dummies in my family hurt my vulnerable family members who ARE doing the right thing... Fortunately dad is vaxxed and boosted so he has that going. So is grandma and step mom. Plus he eats so healthy. But them dummies have to stay away.

Man I had a client today: Pregnant. Smokes weed and cigarettes. Doesn't care. Doesn't take nausea meds because its "artificial" but I reminded her those cigs are full of contaminants as is her weed source.
this sucks and I'm sorry you are getting it at both ends.At home and work. I don't play with people. Xmas dinner with extended family was cancelled since Aunt and Cousin came down with Covid not a surprise since they were hanging out at what I call the family fun house. All MTA, and CO employees they are passing Covid around like skittles.

NYE I was in CT and we were hosting a dinner. We went from 15 to 6. The others tested positive for Covid. And people think I'm extra for requiring you take a test if you are coming to my house for an extended time.

yamilee21

Has anyone seen anything on efficacy regarding the Pfizer/Moderna combinations

3 Pfizer vs 3 Moderna
2 Pfizer + Moderna booster and the other way around?
I haven’t seen data on mixed vaccines yet (other than initial J&J plus either Pfizer or Moderna), but Moderna alone has consistently appeared to be slightly more effective than Pfizer. However, there has always been a bit of a doubt as to the significance of the difference, e.g., whether it was because the Moderna was approved afterward, so the efficacy had less time to wane than Pfizer; or whether it was because the initial doses were 4 weeks apart instead of only 3. Anecdotally, initial Pfizer plus Moderna booster is being seen as an upgrade, whereas the reverse is being seen as a downgrade, although there doesn’t seem to be any information to back this up yet.

sunshinebeautiful

I turned on my local news today and see that our governor DeathSantis is talking about "prioritizing" who can get covid tested... when we're in the throes of this uptick due to Omicron. He's now using talking points around high value versus low value testing. Ugh... what?!

Florida Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo joined DeSantis during the briefing Monday to speak on a new testing philosophy the state will begin implementing during a time when people have been flooding testing sites, leading to long lines.

Ladapo said this wouldn't be a restriction on testing but rather a new emphasis on "high-value" testing versus "low-value" testing. Ladapo explained this would give priority to tests that would "likely change outcomes" based on a positive or negative result.

Ladapo used the example of an elderly grandmother given more testing consideration over an 8-year-old 3rd grader. Ladapo said more detailed guidance would be coming soon.

"We need to unwind this sort of planning and living one's life around testing. Without it, we're going to be stuck in the same cycle," Ladapo said. "So it's really time for people to be living, to make the decisions they want regarding vaccination, to enjoy the fact that many people have natural immunity. And to unwind this preoccupation with only COVID as determining the boundaries and constraints and possibilities of life. And we're going to start that in Florida."

I'm waiting to see what coming "details" are going to released, but I'm assuming that "likely [to] change outcomes" means high risk of death. If you're not in that group, then good luck securing a test.

This also brings to mind his buddy Tr*mp's claims that high covid rates are due to high testing :rolleyes: ... and oh yeah, he's up for re-election this year. Keeping rates low on paper works for his campaign. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Article link: https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/p...rence/67-5d14339b-a9d4-4d85-98a3-84a89424dc9b

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Has anyone seen anything on efficacy regarding the Pfizer/Moderna combinations

3 Pfizer vs 3 Moderna
2 Pfizer + Moderna booster and the other way around?
I was just coming in to ask this. I received Pfizer and was considering the Moderna booster because (I think) they have different mechanisms of action.

I read on one hospital site that the Moderna booster is actually a half dose of the full dose, but I couldn't find that info in the CDC site. Does anyone know?

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I turned on my local news today and see that our governor DeathSantis is talking about "prioritizing" who can get covid tested... when we're in the throes of this uptick due to Omicron. He's now using talking points around high value versus low value testing. Ugh... what?!

I'm waiting to see what coming "details" are going to released, but I'm assuming that "likely [to] change outcomes" means high risk of death. If you're not in that group, then good luck securing a test.

This also brings to mind his buddy Tr*mp's claims that high covid rates are due to high testing :rolleyes: ... and oh yeah, he's up for re-election this year. Keeping rates low on paper works for his campaign. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Article link: https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/p...rence/67-5d14339b-a9d4-4d85-98a3-84a89424dc9b
I've been trying to leave this state for years. Ugh! Only thing keeping me here is my DH.

Evolving78

That’s what I’m getting from all of this too.

yamilee21

I read on one hospital site that the Moderna booster is actually a half dose of the full dose, but I couldn't find that info in the CDC site. Does anyone know?
This is apparently true; I was listening to a radio show with a doctor yesterday, and someone called in saying that since the Moderna booster is 50% of the normal dose, should they get a second Moderna booster (4th shot) in order to get a full dose? The doctor was like, no, please don’t do that now, give your booster a chance to work. :giggle:

yamilee21

As bad as things are in NY right now, and as delusional as the foolish old and new mayors are on insisting on keeping schools and everything else open right now, I really feel for the people of Texas and Florida. NY’s Governor and mayors may make mistakes that prolong the crisis, but Abbott and DeathSantis are straight trying to kill their people. :nono:

naturalgyrl5199

Welp. 2 more with COVID.

Day 2 returning to work and Now we have a total of 3 with COVID.

At the very least, someone came back from overseas so we aren't TOTALLY crippled. But geesh. I'm waiting with baited breath because school starts tomorrow. Tonight's school board meeting will be shenanigans. Especially when your school district has been on the National news once and a doctor in town has been Donkey of the Day. Sometimes I hate it here.

Not to mention--COLLEGES start tomorrow as well.

naturalgyrl5199

As bad as things are in NY right now, and as delusional as the foolish old and new mayors are on insisting on keeping schools and everything else open right now, I really feel for the people of Texas and Florida. NY’s Governor and mayors may make mistakes that prolong the crisis, but Abbott and DeathSantis are straight trying to kill their people. :nono:
Prayers for me in Florida ya'll.

naturalgyrl5199

Of course there will be changes.

Less testing = less positive tests which LOOK LIKE success.

Whoopee. :rolleyes:

This is horrible for the schools because prioritizing kids to the BACK will have these kids so vulnerable.

dancinstallion

I am treating it just like Covid, I have/had same symptoms as Omicron fever chills stuffy nose and now cough in 2 days. Deep in My ear canals were very very itchy, I get a PCR on Monday but I don't think it will show. There were no earlier appointments. I don't feel sick but I do feel pissed off. I want to fight my sister in law and her husband. :mad:
Now I am stuck quarantined in my bedroom.

I think her son has omicron and it isn't being detected, or he already had covid and is now having pneumonia or other viral infection post covid and that is why he is neg

Our air purifiers didn't purify enough. I want to toss them bad boys in the trash, we had them on full blast the whole time too.

I am positive. :giveup: Fever and chills came back 2 days ago. I coughed clear mucus about 8 times total last 3 days. Which is a good sign. I am trying to stay hydrated. My nose blocks and unblocks as it pleases.
I don't feel sick. This is day 5 since onset of symptoms.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I can't see all the posts so my bad if ya'll already knowin but WTF????

New ‘IHU’ B.1.640.2 Covid-19 Coronavirus Variant Detected In France​

New ‘IHU’ B.1.640.2 Covid-19 Coronavirus Variant Detected In France

One thing that’s clear about the Covid-19 coronavirus, it can mutate. And mutate. And mutate. So it shouldn’t be a surprise that yet another new variant has been detected in France with 46 mutations and 37 deletions in its genetic code, many affecting the spike protein. This variant currently bears the name B.1.640.2, which may look like the beginning of a phone number in New Jersey. It’s also been temporarily dubbed the “variant IHU” because a team from the Méditerranée Infection University Hospital Institute (IHU) in Marseilles, France, was the first to report the variant in a pre-print uploaded to MedRxiv on December 29.

So does this mean that the sky is falling? That you should start running around outside with your arms waving frantically in the air? That you’ll be wearing face masks forever? That you should add to the 30,182 rolls of toilet paper in your bedroom? That this pandemic will last forever? Umm, no, no, no, probably no, and heck no.

And, no, the “IHU” variant does not stand for the “I Hate You” variant:

Read the rest here New ‘IHU’ B.1.640.2 Covid-19 Coronavirus Variant Detected In France (forbes.com)

snoop

One thing that’s clear about the Covid-19 coronavirus, it can mutate. And mutate. And mutate. So it shouldn’t be a surprise that yet another new variant has been detected in France with 46 mutations and 37 deletions in its genetic code, many affecting the spike protein. This variant currently bears the name B.1.640.2, which may look like the beginning of a phone number in New Jersey. It’s also been temporarily dubbed the “variant IHU” because a team from the Méditerranée Infection University Hospital Institute (IHU) in Marseilles, France, was the first to report the variant in a pre-print uploaded to MedRxiv on December 29.

So does this mean that the sky is falling? That you should start running around outside with your arms waving frantically in the air? That you’ll be wearing face masks forever? That you should add to the 30,182 rolls of toilet paper in your bedroom? That this pandemic will last forever? Umm, no, no, no, probably no, and heck no.

Read the rest here New ‘IHU’ B.1.640.2 Covid-19 Coronavirus Variant Detected In France (forbes.com)

"A man living in southeastern France had returned home from a trip to Cameroon. Two days later he began experiencing mild respiratory symptoms."

I guess they've exhausted their South African covid links... time to move on to the next country...

oneastrocurlie

Thankfully it's not new new. Saying thankfully doesn't seem right cause it's a thing in the first place. But you know what I mean. Although technically it's new to us the public.

oneastrocurlie

Things might seem pretty grim on the pandemic front right now. The U.S. is only a few days into the third calendar year of the pandemic and nearly 500,000 new COVID-19 cases are being counted daily.

The country hit another record high on Monday with 1,082,549 infections. So if it's hard to find a glimmer of hope, you're not alone. But Dr. Bob Wachter has a bit of hope to share.

Wachter chairs the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, and took to Twitter last week to share his thoughts and predictions on how the country "could be in good shape, maybe even great shape in six to eight weeks."

He joined NPR's All Things Considered to talk about the current case rates and hospitalization rates and how they might trend, the new antiviral COVID-19 pills and what the omicron variant will likely mean for the unvaccinated population.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Interview highlights​

Could the U.S. really be in "good shape" in terms of the pandemic in six to eight weeks?​

Yeah, I think that's the likeliest outcome. I should always caveat it by the fact that over the past two years, every time things have started looking good, something bad happens. So it's possible that will happen again. There'll be another variant that will be a curveball. But if that doesn't happen, I think the likeliest outcome for February and March is that we'll be in pretty good shape.

This virus being so transmissible but now, as we understand it, being milder than the prior variants could turn out to be very good news after a very awful January.

What are you seeing in terms of case rates and hospitalization rates, and what might you hope to see there in the coming weeks?​

What's happening now is the cases are exploding, as we've never seen before, and that really is a manifestation of how extraordinarily infectious omicron is. What we're not seeing is the same relationship between cases and hospitalizations. So the average case of omicron has about a 60% lower chance of landing you in the hospital than the average case of delta.

Now you might hear that and say that doesn't make sense. Why are the hospitals filling up? And the reason is, even if the average case is less likely to land you in the hospital, if there are twice or three or five times as many cases, then you will have more people laying in the hospital. So the short-term risk — and we're seeing it all over the country — is the hospitals will get filled with patients with omicron.

A fair number of doctors and nurses will be out sick with omicron. And so we have a pretty miserable month, even though the average patient has a lower chance of ending up in the hospital than he or she would have had if they had a case of delta, particularly if they're vaccinated.

But very importantly, for the people that chose not to be vaccinated — I think a very terrible choice, but who made that choice — there's a pretty good chance they're going to get a case of omicron, which will give them some immunity. And it's those two things combined — the fact that the average case is going to be milder, and more and more people are going to be immune to this virus — that gets us out of this pickle, I think, in February.

Antiviral COVID-19 pills are being rolled out. They're in small quantities so far, but what effect could these have in the coming weeks?​

Yeah, it's an important new part of our armamentarium. Up till now, we've really just had monoclonal antibodies to give to people at very high risk who got COVID but were not sick enough yet to be in the hospital. But two new pills have come out. The Pfizer is a much bigger deal than the Merck. The Merck lowers the probability that someone who gets a case of omicron will land in the hospital by 30%, the Pfizer by 90%.

So, it's in short supply. The supply is growing. Within a month or two, there will be a decent supply. So that is another very important tool that we'll have.

You're the chair of medicine at a big hospital there in San Francisco. Can your high-risk patients get these COVID pills?​

[They're] just starting to be available. We have them in some of our pharmacies, but we're having to triage them quite severely and be very selective about who gets them, but I think they'll become more and more available over time. It's a pretty tricky chemical compound to produce. So it is taking the company some time to produce them, but the supply should grow steadily over the next couple of months.

How are things looking for the unvaccinated? Where do you see their risks going in the next weeks and months?​

If you are unvaccinated and you're not being super careful, by which I mean wearing an N95 mask all the time if you're going indoors, it's almost hard to believe that you will not get this virus.

The problem is, people who are unvaccinated are hearing that the average case of omicron is milder. It is milder, but it's particularly milder for people that are vaccinated. For the people that are unvaccinated, the best estimates from the science so far are that maybe it's about 25% less likely to land you in the hospital, and you might say, "That's OK, good, it's milder." But if it's 25% less likely to land you in the hospital and you have a five times greater chance of becoming infected in the next month, that math doesn't land you in a good place.

That means that there are going to be more and more unvaccinated people who get omicron. A lot of them will end up in hospitals. A lot of them unfortunately will end up in ICUs, and a fair number of them will be the ones who die over the next four to six weeks as this hurricane sort of rampages through our country.

People are also hearing that the vaccines and boosters aren't worth it. They don't work because everybody we know is getting sick anyway. What do you say about this?​

Yeah, I can understand how people would feel that, but that's just not right. The vaccines and boosters are miraculous, and they are miraculous because what they do is markedly lower the probability that you will get very sick, go to the hospital, go to the ICU, end up on a ventilator and die.

There's no question that there are more breakthrough cases. This virus is very good at sidestepping some of your immunity, but the kind of case that you're going to have if you've had particularly three shots is so much more likely to be a mild case of a couple of days of cold or flu symptoms than it would be for the unvaccinated person. Those are the ones who are landing in the hospital, landing in the ICU, and ultimately, the deaths that we will have from omicron will be almost entirely in unvaccinated people.

Is there anything that could throw this prediction of hope off?​

Sure. Two big questions going forward in terms of how rosy the future might be. One is, how good is the immunity that a case of omicron gives you against another case of either omicron or another variant? I'm sure it'll be fine for a while. But does it last for three months or a year? That will make a difference in terms of whether the risk goes up, let's say, next winter.

And the second, of course, is this great unknown, which is, will there be another variant? And anybody who tells you they can predict that is making it up because nobody I know predicted delta. Nobody I know predicted omicron. And all that means is there could be something even nastier than omicron on the horizon. And that will change the projections. But for now, I think things look pretty good.

Copyright 2022 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.

naturalgyrl5199

Welp. 2 more with COVID.

Day 2 returning to work and Now we have a total of 3 with COVID.

At the very least, someone came back from overseas so we aren't TOTALLY crippled. But geesh. I'm waiting with baited breath because school starts tomorrow. Tonight's school board meeting will be shenanigans. Especially when your school district has been on the National news once and a doctor in town has been Donkey of the Day. Sometimes I hate it here.

Not to mention--COLLEGES start tomorrow as well.
Add 2 more positives and 2 more pending.

We will be at 7 before you know it.

Mind you there are 10 of us here. My entire clerical team of 5 (not incl. their supervisor) has 4 out with COVID. All that's left is the supervisor and the one person who JUST got over COVID in December.

I'm actually gonna have to report this several miles up the chain and I will be cutting services back...A LOT.

I was smart enough to order a ton of laptops back in September when Delta was looking UGLY UGLY. I was called "overreacting." But the few people who were supposed to work from home so they don't have to use up all their sick leave were too winded to carry on client calls.

Last edited:

yamilee21

@naturalgyrl5199 Everyone I know in Florida has been posting maskless, indoor party pictures on social media all through the holiday season. The only reason it isn’t worse is because so few tests are available. I’ve always loved south Florida, and have long wavered between staying where I am or attempting to move there, but this pandemic has firmly put me on the “No way!” side.

naturalgyrl5199

@naturalgyrl5199 Everyone I know in Florida has been posting maskless, indoor party pictures on social media all through the holiday season. The only reason it isn’t worse is because so few tests are available. I’ve always loved south Florida, and have long wavered between staying where I am or attempting to move there, but this pandemic has firmly put me on the “No way!” side.
I'm in North Florida and its no better.

I think ultimately people got too relaxed over the holidays. January is already a wash for me.

sunshinebeautiful

We had our first (virtual) team meeting at work now that we are back from the holidays. Thankfully, my supervisor let everyone work from home for the week due to the omicron surge. COVID has been making these rounds, you hear me? One coworker took a cruise with her husband and daughter. She tested positive for covid, daughter tested positive for flu, and her husband manage to escape infection, which is a wonder in those cruise cabins. Two other team members had other family members who have covid. And of course, my sister got it over the holidays.

When I turned on the TV this morning, one of the covid test sites in the city had reached capacity *before even opening their doors* today.

I work at an university. Spring semester begins on Monday. That's when students will be back on campus. This thing definitely ain't letting up before then. I will be holed up in my office, taking virtual meetings, and/or working from home as much as possible for the forseeable future.

galleta31

I am positive. :giveup: Fever and chills came back 2 days ago. I coughed clear mucus about 8 times total last 3 days. Which is a good sign. I am trying to stay hydrated. My nose blocks and unblocks as it pleases.
I don't feel sick. This is day 5 since onset of symptoms.

WOW! So your SIL and family are probably carriers - fascinating. Was their negative tests rapid or PCR? Wishing you full recovery!