The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

naturalgyrl5199

It doesn’t stop transmission. So why be mandated?
Its never been about transmission. Its always been about slowing down the worst symptoms and reducing hospitalization rates--which is what's actually killing the medical system right now.

But OTOH---it was marketed as some CURE or shield and that was never right. Obviously if we can slow down the worst symptoms you can in turn actually slow down transmission. But this whole thing has been FUBAR from jump (the way the vaccines were discussed) so no one believes anything anymore....

naturalgyrl5199

^ it doesn’t stop transmission 100%, but there is, and have been now, plenty of evidence that having a covering is better than nothing. What they need to be doing is providing N95s for everyone.
Yes.

I'd prefer a mask mandate over a vaccine.

But check it: Had they made vaccines seem "scarce" then I wonder what the excuse would be then "Oh the Gubmint hiding the cure!"
and so forth.

naturalgyrl5199

The sister, of dh's friend that died of covid, showed him the pics of his friend before he went to the hospital. His fingers were blue. :( Apparently he had been fighting covid for a month and didn't tell dh.

That's the thing. People are STILL suffering in silence. Nobody told me they had covid until I told them I tested positive. Why is that? :pullhair: My brother said he had it for 3 weeks a month ago. The symptoms he had were bad, it triggered his asthma and he hadn't had an asthma attack in 12 years! He said he was off balance and could barely walk. Another friend had it the same time I did but didn't tell me her sister had to tell me,
dh' friend told me her whole family had it only after i told her we couldn't get together because I am positive.

I think covid is so common that the stigma should be lifted yet it isn't lifted. We are talking about covid yet we are not talking about covid when people test positive :nono:
Several of my relatives had COVID last year and while not hospitalized, it had them very unwell. No one said a thing. My cousins on round 2 of COVID have not said a thing to me, but they are probably ashamed to tell me, knowing what I do.

naturalgyrl5199

There is this thing where people come to your home to administer the test.. Idk about that one.
They do that in foreign countries to test for flu outbreaks. Its pretty effective but those are communities where health advocates WITHIN said communities have been tapped to respond to local flu outbreaks to find possible clusters. We are talking communities that are the equivalent to favelas....like tin roof, tin walls, very poor communities where people live on top of each other. Third world communities. I was watching a documentary that came out in 2019 about how they respond to outbreaks in India and found it very interesting.
Which is why I get so aggy because many many countries, down to the township level has/had all the infrastructure and plans prepared to respond to such an outbreak but then WE in the Western world mess it up so royally thanks to politics.

Kalia1

My BF ‘s husband of 23 years passed away from an Asthma Attack/COVID yesterday morning. He was 50 years old. I’m so SAD right now for he was an OUTSTANDING husband, father and like a brother to me.

She called me crying so hard from the hospital.
She said he had been having a hard time breathing Monday and did a breathing treatment and felt better. Sadly yesterday morning he screamed he couldn’t breathe and simply collapsed and passed away right in front of my friend at home.

He was vaccinated and my friend didn’t learn that he had COVID until she was informed by the hospital after he passed away.

I’m SO SAD for my friend and their children. She kept repeating to me “He was her best friend”.
Their family is an ideal one in EVERY sense! Each of their children are model children with their eldest celebrating a birthday today.

They reside in Alabama where COVID precautions cease to be important. My DH and I are due to travel to see my friend tomorrow and I’m SHOCK/SAD.

She and I speak daily about the pandemic and life etc. Never would I imagine her husband my brother would be amongst those who would be one of those who would pass away in the midst of this pandemic.

Please let’s continue to be diligent practicing all of the safety precautions to prevent catching this horrible virus. And more importantly CHERISH your loved ones because life is changing for many of us daily.

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

My BF ‘s husband of 23 years passed away from an Asthma Attack/COVID yesterday morning. He was 50 years old. I’m so SAD right now for he was an OUTSTANDING husband, father and like a brother to me.

She said he had been having a hard time breathing Monday and did a breathing treatment and felt better. Sadly yesterday morning he screamed he couldn’t breathe and simply collapsed and passed away right in front of my friend at home.

He was vaccinated and my friend didn’t learn that he had COVID until she was informed by the hospital after he passed away.

I’m SO SAD for my friend and their children. She kept repeating to me “He was her best friend”.
Their family is an ideal one in EVERY sense! Each of their children are model children with their eldest celebrating a birthday today.

They reside in Alabama where COVID precautions cease to be important. My DH and I are due to travel to see my friend tomorrow and I’m SHOCK/SAD.

She and I speak daily about the pandemic and life etc. Never would I imagine her husband my brother would be amongst those who would be one of those who would pass away in the midst of this pandemic.

Please let’s continue to be diligent practicing all of the safety precautions to prevent catching this horrible virus. And more importantly CHERISH your loved ones because life is changing for many of us daily.
I’m sorry for your loss. Has your friend or her children been tested? Their contact with others should be limited right now.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
Somebody guessed that there was some benefit to marijuana based on how some smokers seem to be ok despite their lifestyle choices.

Yep - read about this and meant to post this article:

A friend of mine in WV manufactures liquid CBD + THC ... :look:

ScorpioBeauty09

I am so sorry for your loss. This is devastating. I'm so sorry.

Black Ambrosia

“Cannabis compounds prevented #Covid19 infection in a lab study.”

So is this the reason my pot-smoking neighbors have been able to party non-stop through the pandemic with zero repercussions?
There's a guy I grew up with who smokes pot 3 times a day and has been coughing like he has COPD for years. I hate to admit it but I thought if anyone would get it, it would be him because his health is already compromised, he's still out there like it's 2019, and he's anti-vaccine. The only saving grace is that he works from home. Now I see his smoking is probably what's keeping him alive.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

I'm sorry for your loss. The terrible thing about Covid is that people really have no idea how it's going to hit them until they get it. Like you said, it's best that we all remain diligent about doing what we can to avoid transmission.

naturalgyrl5199

So sorry for your loss....

naturalgyrl5199

Well COVID strikes my life directly again. No one here is infected...But the current situation:

Drove the kids up to the daycare and the daycare has 3 teachers out with COVID. One out sick. My baby girls teacher took herself to the ER. She has poor health and is double vaccinated but was kicking the can about her booster. Lord help her. My baby loves her some Ms. S.
The oldest was able to take the van to Elem. School though...but we are picking her up right at drop off. There is no way she'll be spending the remainder of the day at that daycare. We had planned on getting some cupcakes for the baby to have her 4th Bday party there tomorrow. But we'll do a family event here at the house this weekend. :(
But I'm working from home with her (the almost 4 YO) and its been a bit much.

Hubby took his booster yesterday and is dragging. I had food poisoning (i think) from a restaraunt I picked up from. I only ate a tiny bit bc I was busy nitpicking over something else. So I spent yesterday sick and my allergies are acting up.

Our infant formula crisis has worsened. Mothers are unable to find formula and my agency is unable to order some of the specialty formula whereas before we had carte blanche and that would always have some set aside. They literally told our distributors they have no ETA from the manufacturers themselves.

You really cannot announce the latter bc you would cause a panic. But I'm panicking for my clients. I'm actually gonna have some of the ones partially breastfeeding to try and re-lactate this week. Its THAT bad. But there are no options. Some may get the MD to agree to a formula switch but that hasn't helped. Babies on high calorie formula due to prematurity and underweight are moving to standard calorie formula with a recipe from the MD on how to prepare it to make higher calories. Sigh--just pray for the mothers out there. The mommy groups online are discussing this at length and are in tears.

naturalgyrl5199

And lets keep it real---these shortages have everything to do with high turnover, less pay, short staffing which slows down production or shipping or both. Just because 1 person is out with COVID-that may affect 2-3 people or 1/2 or whole work unit. That also can slow down production or shipping. Thats why at some point, people are going to be told they can just come to work as long as they wear a mask, and can stand and not sneeze on everyone.

Black Ambrosia

Our infant formula crisis has worsened. Mothers are unable to find formula and my agency is unable to order some of the specialty formula whereas before we had carte blanche and that would always have some set aside. They literally told our distributors they have no ETA from the manufacturers themselves.

You really cannot announce the latter bc you would cause a panic. But I'm panicking for my clients. I'm actually gonna have some of the ones partially breastfeeding to try and re-lactate this week. Its THAT bad. But there are no options. Some may get the MD to agree to a formula switch but that hasn't helped. Babies on high calorie formula due to prematurity and underweight are moving to standard calorie formula with a recipe from the MD on how to prepare it to make higher calories. Sigh--just pray for the mothers out there. The mommy groups online are discussing this at length and are in tears.
My sister was just telling me how she ordered formula from Amazon and the delivery has been pushed out 2 or 3 months. We went out and found some at CVS but noted how when my niece was a baby they were much better stocked. Instead of numerous cans available they only had 3 and they were locked up. Not sure if them being locked up is a new thing since I wasn't at home. I remember speciality brands being behind the counter at my local CVS so maybe this isn't that unusual.