The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

rayne

I'm so relieved to hear this! This was a concern of mine since the kids will be home for 3 weeks.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/21179330/comcast-t-mobile-coronavirus-data-caps-hotspots-fcc

Comcast and T-Mobile to suspend internet data caps for the next 60 days
The internet providers are responding to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic

By Nick Statt@nickstatt Mar 13, 2020, 7:17pm EDTShare this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Illustration by Alex Castro / The Verge
Comcast and T-Mobile have announced suspensions of their internet data cap policies in response to the coronavirus pandemic. Comcast says it will no longer charge overage fees for home internet customers that go over its broadband data caps, while T-Mobile says it’s removing all data caps for its mobile customers. AT&T and Verizon have taken similar measures.

“During this extraordinary time, it is vital that as many Americans as possible stay connected to the internet — for education, work, and personal health reasons,” Comcast Cable CEO Dave Watson said in a statement. “Our employees also live and work in virtually every community we serve, and we all share the same belief that it’s our Company’s responsibility to step up and help out.”

Earlier today, the Federal Communications Commission announced that it had signed both Comcast and T-Mobile, as well as many other firms in the broadband and telecom industries, to its new Keep Americans Connected pledge. The pledge asked that companies not terminate service for residential or small business customers, waive any late fees incurred due to the economic effects of the virus, and open access to public Wi-Fi hotspots to “any American who needs them.”

T-Mobile

✔@TMobile

https://twitter.com/TMobile/status/1238571492884930560

We‘ll get through this together! Here's how we’re helping:

Removing smartphone data caps for all customers
Giving 20GB of add’l mobile hotspot data
Increasing data for schools in our EmpowerED program
Making it free to call severely impacted countries

More info:

T-Mobile Update on COVID-19 Response
www.t-mobile.com

4:03 PM - Mar 13, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

2,353 people are talking about this

It also asked these companies to suspend data caps due to the sharp spike in work-from-policies being implemented throughout the country to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. After the FCC confirmed that Comcast and T-Mobile signed the pledge, both companies have come out and announced the steps they’re taking try and alleviate pressures on customers.

In addition to suspending data caps for 60 days, Comcast says it will make its Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots free throughout the country and it will not charge disconnect or late fees. Comcast yesterday announced it will increase the internet speed of its Internet Essentials tier, which is targeted toward low-income families.

T-Mobile, which is also instituting these new policies for a 60-day period, says its suspending data caps, giving customers 20GB of additional hotspot / tethering data, increasing the data allowance given to schools and students who rely on its EmpowerED program, and making it free to call countries “severely impacted” by the coronavirus.

Keen

If you didn't get em out before Coronavirus, you may have to wait a while . . .

U.S. cities are temporarily banning evictions as coronavirus outbreak worsens

Several major cities across the U.S. have either issued temporary bans on evictions or are considering them as the novel coronavirus outbreak unfolds.

The San Jose City Council approved a proposal preventing evictions amid the coronavirus emergency, and San Francisco officials are putting forward similar legislation.

“We must avoid the creation of a greater public health emergency that would result from subjecting thousands more families to homelessness, and we must protect our residents from the fear of potential eviction resulting from economic dislocation,” San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo said when proposing the city’s temporary moratorium on evictions.

In other cities, mayors have declared states of emergency that bar evictions from moving forward. That’s the case in Miami-Dade County in Florida and in Baltimore.

Boston Mayor Martin Walsh told the Boston Herald that he had asked the Massachusetts court system “to offer leniency to those facing non-essential evictions” as consumer advocates called for a ban on the practice during the infectious disease pandemic.

In Washington State, which has one of the largest coronavirus clusters in the country, two major landlord groups, the Rental Housing Association of Washington and the Washington Multi-Family Housing Association, recommended a 30-day moratorium on evictions in King County, where Seattle is located, the Seattle Times first reported.

“A hold on physical evictions that allows court proceedings to continue has the dual benefit of keeping residents in their homes while opening paths to emergency rental assistance funds at the state and local level. The 30-day hold can be renewed each month based on the needs of the community and status of COVID-19 illnesses,” the Rental Housing Association of Washington said in a statement.

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan has already used her authority to expand capacity for the city’s homeless shelters, and the city is also refraining from turning off power or water due to nonpayment during the coronavirus emergency, the Seattle Times reported.

In New York, state lawmakers have proposed legislation for a moratorium on evictions and foreclosures amid the illness outbreak. The city’s courts have implemented a temporary moratorium on evictions. Additionally, the Real Estate Board of New York, a trade group that represents major developers and property managers in the city, put a three-month moratorium on evictions.

A spokeswoman for the Philadelphia mayor’s office said the city is encouraging landlords “to recognize the extraordinary circumstances tenants may be facing by not adding housing insecurity to a family’s financial or health challenges.”

(The National Apartment Association did not immediately return a request for comment on eviction bans in light of the coronavirus.)

Evictions may not proceed normally even in cities that haven’t halted them, because court systems in many municipalities have either halted or scaled back operations during the outbreak.

Annually, there are around 3.6 million eviction filings in the U.S., which equates to about 300,000 filings per month on average, said Alieze Durana, spokeswoman for the Eviction Lab, an organization at Princeton University that researches eviction trends across the country.

For millions of Americans who work for hourly wages below $15 an hour and do not have paid sick leave or the option to work from home, the coronavirus outbreak could be devastating. The Eviction Lab’s data show that nearly 40% of eviction judgments are for less than $1,000, Durana said.

“We’re talking about people being really one rent payment away from an eviction judgment,” Durana said.

Avoiding evictions at a time when millions of people could lose income is also a matter of public health. “This pandemic is a stark reminder that housing is health care,” said Diane Yentel, president and CEO of the National Low Income Housing Coalition. “Policymakers at all levels should immediately implement moratoriums on foreclosures and evictions.”

Some hospitals and insurers in recent years have paid for patients’ housing costs as a part of their care, arguing that having a safe place to live improves patients’ health outcomes.

Going through the eviction process could expose more people to the coronavirus. Attending a court hearing regarding an eviction works against the recommendations health officials have made to practice social distancing in an effort to reduce transmission. The situation may only get worse if people are displaced from their homes.

“They could end up doubling up with friends and family, which would be concerning given that what we saw in the case of China was that the transmission of COVID-19 happened through families who were living together,” Durana said. She also added that sleeping in close quarters at homeless shelters is another source of concern.

“We live in extraordinary times, and I think our priority is to both ensure family and individual well-being and think about the larger public health picture,” she said.

Link: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...RxGHsd3pqRDlObLZBP6Np49DetQPwEhMzo5AhP55VuIQ4

Landlords are being asked to be understanding. But it’s deeper than that. We are screwed if the government doesn’t subsidize rent. Yes, the mortgage company can allow skip paying. But that is so expensive. I saw three years of paid equity vanished all because I decided to take advantage of skip payment for 3 months. It’s not worth it.

Imaging someone having hardship paying rent for one month suddenly is behind for 3 months, where will they get money to catch up? That won’t end well for the tenant or the landlord.

Most of these articles don’t consider the hardship on the landlord when rent is not received. We are not all real estate mogul like Donald Trump. LandlordS are so quick to file eviction because one missed mortgage ruin your credit. Two missed payments, you can’t get another mortgage. Three missed payment, it’s foreclosure

gn1g

Its so interesting because like @discodumpling we taught to boil water and cool it. Bottled water is a luxury because I only but it when I feel like it.

I buy alot of toilet paper because my oldest canna get it through his head that he should use a little bit.

When I had my daughter 20+ years ago her Peditrician said boil water does not get rid of lead and what every else in it, so get the bottle nursery water or bottle water. and I've been doing that every since. I also have filter on my refrigerator water

discodumpling

Thank GOD for my Mama! She is an amazing woman. I ventured out to visit my parents and pick up a few odds and ends. My Mama came through with the TP, several cans of sardines, cabbage, boxes of mac n cheese and so many more things I wasnt thinking about...this lady gave me 2 pig tails!! Lol!
I got my water from my local Black Hebrews! They have alkaline water and I have bottles so I stopped by for a fill up and I'm good for at least the rest of the week.
There was an abundance of fruits & veggies at the small Asian grocers! And they weren't trying to take advantage of the situation! I bought $10 worth of stuff and had 2 shopping bags filled with fruit, veg, herbs and treats. She also had gallons of Poland spring and I swear this man bought 20 of em!
Best of all she still had Dettol at $5 instead of $12+ like the other stores taking advantage of panic shoppers.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I'm so relieved to hear this! This was a concern of mine since the kids will be home for 3 weeks.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/21179330/comcast-t-mobile-coronavirus-data-caps-hotspots-fcc

Comcast and T-Mobile to suspend internet data caps for the next 60 days
The internet providers are responding to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic

By Nick Statt@nickstatt Mar 13, 2020, 7:17pm EDTShare this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Illustration by Alex Castro / The Verge
Comcast and T-Mobile have announced suspensions of their internet data cap policies in response to the coronavirus pandemic. Comcast says it will no longer charge overage fees for home internet customers that go over its broadband data caps, while T-Mobile says it’s removing all data caps for its mobile customers. AT&T and Verizon have taken similar measures.

“During this extraordinary time, it is vital that as many Americans as possible stay connected to the internet — for education, work, and personal health reasons,” Comcast Cable CEO Dave Watson said in a statement. “Our employees also live and work in virtually every community we serve, and we all share the same belief that it’s our Company’s responsibility to step up and help out.”

Earlier today, the Federal Communications Commission announced that it had signed both Comcast and T-Mobile, as well as many other firms in the broadband and telecom industries, to its new Keep Americans Connected pledge. The pledge asked that companies not terminate service for residential or small business customers, waive any late fees incurred due to the economic effects of the virus, and open access to public Wi-Fi hotspots to “any American who needs them.”

T-Mobile

✔@TMobile

We‘ll get through this together! Here's how we’re helping:

Removing smartphone data caps for all customers
Giving 20GB of add’l mobile hotspot data
Increasing data for schools in our EmpowerED program
Making it free to call severely impacted countries

More info:

T-Mobile Update on COVID-19 Response
www.t-mobile.com

4:03 PM - Mar 13, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

2,353 people are talking about this

It also asked these companies to suspend data caps due to the sharp spike in work-from-policies being implemented throughout the country to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. After the FCC confirmed that Comcast and T-Mobile signed the pledge, both companies have come out and announced the steps they’re taking try and alleviate pressures on customers.

In addition to suspending data caps for 60 days, Comcast says it will make its Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots free throughout the country and it will not charge disconnect or late fees. Comcast yesterday announced it will increase the internet speed of its Internet Essentials tier, which is targeted toward low-income families.

T-Mobile, which is also instituting these new policies for a 60-day period, says its suspending data caps, giving customers 20GB of additional hotspot / tethering data, increasing the data allowance given to schools and students who rely on its EmpowerED program, and making it free to call countries “severely impacted” by the coronavirus.
wonder if Verizon will get on board, they hounding me for $50. I forgot i took autopay off and got a voicemail last night

ThirdEyeBeauty

If you didn't get em out before Coronavirus, you may have to wait a while . . .

U.S. cities are temporarily banning evictions as coronavirus outbreak worsens

Several major cities across the U.S. have either issued temporary bans on evictions or are considering them as the novel coronavirus outbreak unfolds.

The San Jose City Council approved a proposal preventing evictions amid the coronavirus emergency, and San Francisco officials are putting forward similar legislation.

“We must avoid the creation of a greater public health emergency that would result from subjecting thousands more families to homelessness, and we must protect our residents from the fear of potential eviction resulting from economic dislocation,” San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo said when proposing the city’s temporary moratorium on evictions.

In other cities, mayors have declared states of emergency that bar evictions from moving forward. That’s the case in Miami-Dade County in Florida and in Baltimore.

Boston Mayor Martin Walsh told the Boston Herald that he had asked the Massachusetts court system “to offer leniency to those facing non-essential evictions” as consumer advocates called for a ban on the practice during the infectious disease pandemic.

In Washington State, which has one of the largest coronavirus clusters in the country, two major landlord groups, the Rental Housing Association of Washington and the Washington Multi-Family Housing Association, recommended a 30-day moratorium on evictions in King County, where Seattle is located, the Seattle Times first reported.

“A hold on physical evictions that allows court proceedings to continue has the dual benefit of keeping residents in their homes while opening paths to emergency rental assistance funds at the state and local level. The 30-day hold can be renewed each month based on the needs of the community and status of COVID-19 illnesses,” the Rental Housing Association of Washington said in a statement.

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan has already used her authority to expand capacity for the city’s homeless shelters, and the city is also refraining from turning off power or water due to nonpayment during the coronavirus emergency, the Seattle Times reported.

In New York, state lawmakers have proposed legislation for a moratorium on evictions and foreclosures amid the illness outbreak. The city’s courts have implemented a temporary moratorium on evictions. Additionally, the Real Estate Board of New York, a trade group that represents major developers and property managers in the city, put a three-month moratorium on evictions.

A spokeswoman for the Philadelphia mayor’s office said the city is encouraging landlords “to recognize the extraordinary circumstances tenants may be facing by not adding housing insecurity to a family’s financial or health challenges.”

(The National Apartment Association did not immediately return a request for comment on eviction bans in light of the coronavirus.)

Evictions may not proceed normally even in cities that haven’t halted them, because court systems in many municipalities have either halted or scaled back operations during the outbreak.

Annually, there are around 3.6 million eviction filings in the U.S., which equates to about 300,000 filings per month on average, said Alieze Durana, spokeswoman for the Eviction Lab, an organization at Princeton University that researches eviction trends across the country.

For millions of Americans who work for hourly wages below $15 an hour and do not have paid sick leave or the option to work from home, the coronavirus outbreak could be devastating. The Eviction Lab’s data show that nearly 40% of eviction judgments are for less than $1,000, Durana said.

“We’re talking about people being really one rent payment away from an eviction judgment,” Durana said.

Avoiding evictions at a time when millions of people could lose income is also a matter of public health. “This pandemic is a stark reminder that housing is health care,” said Diane Yentel, president and CEO of the National Low Income Housing Coalition. “Policymakers at all levels should immediately implement moratoriums on foreclosures and evictions.”

Some hospitals and insurers in recent years have paid for patients’ housing costs as a part of their care, arguing that having a safe place to live improves patients’ health outcomes.

Going through the eviction process could expose more people to the coronavirus. Attending a court hearing regarding an eviction works against the recommendations health officials have made to practice social distancing in an effort to reduce transmission. The situation may only get worse if people are displaced from their homes.

“They could end up doubling up with friends and family, which would be concerning given that what we saw in the case of China was that the transmission of COVID-19 happened through families who were living together,” Durana said. She also added that sleeping in close quarters at homeless shelters is another source of concern.

“We live in extraordinary times, and I think our priority is to both ensure family and individual well-being and think about the larger public health picture,” she said.

Link: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...RxGHsd3pqRDlObLZBP6Np49DetQPwEhMzo5AhP55VuIQ4
That link said I didn't have to pay the mortgage then, right?

Black Ambrosia

Mom needed bread so I went to the grocery store at 8 this morning. They had bread, meat, toilet paper, etc. I got the bread and a package of toilet paper. I drove to a few other places to see if they were crowded. I thought I might fill up my gallon jugs with alkaline water at Whole Foods but the parking lot was already full at 9. I swung by Meijer and the parking lot there was almost full. Way more people than normal for a Sunday morning. Drove by my mom's church and saw elderly women going inside. I'm thankful my mom wasn't one of them. I said a prayer for them and kept going. The only other stop I made was for gas. I went inside to see if there was water and picked up 2 big 40 bottle packages of water. This was the last thing on my list because I'm not sure I even need it. I can drink tap water if I have to. Like others I can boil it but I don't have a lead filter. I decided it was better to be prepared than sorry.

The only thing I wish I'd thought of was Tylenol now that I'm reviewing these other links. Maybe I'll go out again first thing tomorrow morning. That's the best way to avoid crowds and hopefully find stuff on the shelves after they restock overnight.

awhyley

@Aggie, @Goombay_Summer, @IslandMummy
Bahamian ladies I left out (my apologies), it has arrived. The Tribune doesn't give much to go on though.

"The Bahamas has its first confirmed case of COVID-19 after a 61-year-old New Providence woman tested positive for the virus.

The woman arrived at Princess Margaret Hospital on Friday showing symptoms and her test was confirmed at midnight on Sunday.

She had not travelled out of the country in the past 20 days.

Officials are currently investigating her family and social contacts to find the source of the infection
."

Link: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2020/mar/15/breaking-news-first-confirmed-case-coronavirus-bah/
So I guess the search for Patient zero is on. :detective: Time to check on ya people in the next coming days.

Lylddlebit

I’ll be wearing mask and gloves today to do errands for my mom. I’m gonna feel silly. I can count on one hand the number of masks I’ve seen worn in public this week. Will be armed with lemon scented Lysol to spray her bags down. Pretty sure she’s gonna laugh at me. Lol! Have you guys noticed being adequately prepared feels foolish at first?

I felt like a fool Friday with my mask and gloves on. Snapped right out of it when I walked into the office I had to visit(couldn't get the product I needed any other way) and one of the employees walked in sick. I even had my hair tied up under a shower cap covered with a hat while I was out over it so nothing aerosolized got in my hair. I won't leave my house without my mask and gloves now. Nobody is allowed to visit my house right now. I had the callous irresponsibility talk with DH about his careless habits and my will to protect our child even when he presents the harm through carelessness. I am not playing. I felt like a fool too but my daughter is a toddler. I rather look like a fool then have nothing to offer but "I love you's" and "I'm sorry's" when someone in my house winds up sick. My husband told me I looked like "The Shredder" when I came back in the house on Friday. I gave him a smart retort I won't post here and told him get better get in gear(we talk mess and tease eachother but we always air stuff out in this manner to come to an understanding.). Don't care about looking silly. Stripped down to my underwear in the mudroom. Washed clothes immediately. Took a shower immediately. I hope I am overreacting but if I am right I am minimizing vulnerability as much as I can.

Last edited:

vevster

You’re good about not touching your face? Do you bring lunch? How is it stored? There are nice insulated lunch bags with ice packs you can keep in your cubicle. Avoid communal areas as much as possible.

@vevster I just bought Vitamin C yesterday darn it. Looked on Amazon the other day for elderberry capsules. Nothing was in stock. Had to preorder for delivery by the end of the month.
You can buy the berries on Etsy and make the elderberry syrup yourself. It’s easy!

Dellas

We’re gonna have to share tips here for folk who are still working outside of their homes. What precautions are you taking so far? Cleaning work surfaces everyday? Wearing a mask? Are you 6 feet away from your nasty office mate?
People who cough and are sick, except for allergies, should wear a mask out of courtesy to others. I've done it before.
The healthy shouldn't be the only people wearing mask.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

And I heard The Lancet mentioned this too. I don’t use those products, haven’t for years so...

There is just too much conflicting info for my brain to handle. From this article:

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

Now reading that after watching the video @BackToMyRoots posted, with the Doctor explaining that the deaths are caused by the overreaction of the body’s immune system, turning your organs to mush. Why is something that diminishes the immune response not a good thing?

Keen

That link said I didn't have to pay the mortgage then, right?
Most mortgage companies will probably offer a disaster recovery program if a vaccine in not out soon. From someone who took the option not to pay due to weather disaster, I’m here to advice you not to do it unless you have to.

It will add years to your loan. All principal and interest skipped will be added to the back of the loan as principal. You will be forced to go through a loan modification if you can’t pay all the months owed at once.

It’s a good lifeline if you really can’t pay. But don’t do it just because you think you’d be getting a break. Cause it’s not.