The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

dancinstallion

Yeah an artichoke inn China said a 14% infection rate

www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/15/can-you-get-infected-by-coronavirus-twice-how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...ronavirus-reinfection-test-positive?_amp=true

Anyway, I am going to try to destress. Bc my anxieties/depression i haven't been sleeping for the last couple months. . But it's very hard.
Might try to pick up some vitamins and Tylenol today.

Also, idg the insistence that masks do nothing. Like I know the CDC said this but if other health orgs around the world are telling you to wear them... I just don't believe it. Like I get a regular paper mask won't stop it but it won't do anything?

The virus is spread by droplets so the masks arent going to work because your eyes are exposed. :ohwell:
medical staff have to put on masks, goggles/eye shield, gloves and gowns when dealing with droplet precautions. If the people keep buying masks then what are medical staff supposed to use because supplies are low?
Medical personnel have a higher risk of catching this than the average person and supplies are running low.

People arent even wearing the masks correctly so no it is not going to help the general public to wear masks. I corrected someone at the airport on adjusting the metal piece on the mask to contour her nose. She said it came like this. I said I know, I am trying to tell you how to wear it properly. She listened though.

Last edited:

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Statement From Mayor de Blasio on Bars, Restaurants, and Entertainment Venues
March 15, 2020

“Our lives are all changing in ways that were unimaginable just a week ago. We are taking a series of actions that we never would have taken otherwise in an effort to save the lives of loved ones and our neighbors. Now it is time to take yet another drastic step. The virus can spread rapidly through the close interactions New Yorkers have in restaurants, bars and places where we sit close together. We have to break that cycle.

Tomorrow, I will sign an Executive Order limiting restaurants, bars and cafes to food take-out and delivery. Nightclubs, movie theaters, small theater houses, and concert venues must all close. The order will go into effect Tuesday, March 17 at 9:00 AM.

“This is not a decision I make lightly. These places are part of the heart and soul of our city. They are part of what it means to be a New Yorker. But our city is facing an unprecedented threat, and we must respond with a wartime mentality.

“We will come through this, but until we do, we must make whatever sacrifices necessary to help our fellow New Yorkers.”

awhyley

Ladies! We need to de stress! I was about to announce I thought I had the corona. No, it’s just my period. :lol:

Girrrlllll. Thankfully, mine came through as well this morning. I was here with aching pains and general stomach pains thinking "this is it" (even though I had no respiratory symptoms). :laugh: It didn't help that there was/is a connection between the 1st case here and where I work. Anyway, fingers crossed. So far, so good!

rayne

I take the toll road to work and we have those electronic boards. This morning instead of showing the travel times, it just basically told people to pay online unless you have the ipass. That's something I hadn't even thought about. It makes me wonder what other jobs are impacted public that I hadn't thought of.

Jmartjrmd

One of them is a well respected black doctor
Two Emergency Room Doctors Are in Critical Condition With Coronavirus
Karen Weise

11 hrs ago
https://www.linkedin.com/shareArtic...ce=http://a.msn.com/05/en-us/BB11ecaw?ocid=sl
http://a.msn.com/05/en-us/BB11ecaw?ocid=sf
https://twitter.com/share?url=http:...er=http://a.msn.com/05/en-us/BB11ecaw?ocid=st
https://api.whatsapp.com/send?text=http://a.msn.com/05/en-us/BB11ecaw?ocid=sw

https://longhaircareforum.com/sms:?...s http://a.msn.com/05/en-us/BB11ecaw?ocid=sms
© Eve Edelheit for The New York TimesEmergency rooms are the front lines for hospitals, where patients come in with symptoms but no diagnosis.
SEATTLE — Two emergency medicine doctors, in New Jersey and Washington State, are in critical condition as a result of coronavirus, reinforcing concerns that the nation’s front-line medical workers are becoming especially vulnerable to the virus, the American College of Emergency Physicians said.

“A lot of us think that despite everything we do, we will probably be exposed,” said Dr. William Jaquis, the chair of the group. Still, he said, “The first reported case certainly sends a shock wave through the community.”

Emergency rooms represent a busy intake point for hospitals, where patients come in with symptoms but no diagnosis. As the coronavirus spreads during the typical flu season, emergency physicians are triaging large numbers of patients around the country with symptoms that could be the virus.

“As compared to anyone else at a hospital, you are operating with the most incomplete information,” said Dr. Angela Fusaro, an emergency doctor in Atlanta.

You May Like

One of the ill physicians, a man in his 40s, is a doctor at EvergreenHealth Medical Center in Kirkland, Wash., a hospital near Seattle which has seen one of the largest concentrations of cases in the United States.

“EvergreenHealth is providing care for one of our physicians who has a confirmed case of Covid-19. He is in critical condition but stable,” the hospital said in a statement.

Dr. Jaquis said it appeared that the doctor had access to adequate protective equipment. “This was an area with an outbreak, so they were expecting and prepared. That obviously makes us more nervous.”

The other physician, a doctor in his 70s in Paterson, N.J., was also in isolation in intensive care. The doctor led his institution’s emergency preparedness and was admitted to the hospital several days ago with upper respiratory problems, the physicians’ group said.

The nationwide shortage of N-95 protective masks has been concerning to doctors, who increasingly feel the need to use them in more situations to stay safe, Dr. Jaquis said.

News to stay informed. Advice to stay safe.
Click here for complete coronavirus coverage from Microsoft News

Some emergency departments are adapting their facilities to minimize the risk to health care providers and other patients, opening tents to triage patients outside their buildings and creating separate entrances for patients and doctors, who do not typically wear protective gear as they come and go.

Emergency doctors at times must tend to patients before their virus risk is assessed, and may have a need, such as a major injury, that needs urgent attention, Dr. Fusaro said. “Things that might be necessary to stabilize their life are pretty intimate,” she said. “If you have to put in a breathing tube, you are going to be right up against them. You can’t practice that type of medicine from afar.”

Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Dellas

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/tr...sure-it-would-be-available-for-profit-report/

Germany said they are not for sale. Trump tried to buy the exclusive rights to the virus and make it for profit and only for the U.S.
This man.
I bet China factories are closed and Walmart can't get food.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/nav...-to-trump-on-foreign-dependency-on-drugs.html

Now they talking about reducing foreign dependence on medicine. The U.S. are consumers not producers. No wonder he want these talks classified. Trump is breaking all sorts of laws.
White House advisor Peter Navarro: I’m bringing an executive order to Trump that would reduce US foreign dependency on medicines

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/coronavirus-amazon-says-items-out-of-stock-deliveries-delayed.html

The increased demand threatens to pose logistical challenges for Amazon. The company has been working to avoid disruptions in the supply chain, while some factories in China and elsewhere remain offline.

Last edited:

brg240

The virus is spread by droplets so the masks arent going to work because your eyes are exposed. :ohwell:
medical staff have to put on masks, goggles/eye shield, gloves and gowns when dealing with droplet precautions. If the people keep buying masks then what are medical staff supposed to use because supplies are low?
Medical personnel have a higher risk of catching this than the average person and supplies are running low.

People arent even wearing the masks correctly so no it is not going to help the general public to wear masks. I corrected someone at the airport on adjusting the metal piece on the mask to contour her nose. She said it came like this. I said I know, I am trying to tell you how to wear it properly. She listened though.
Im not buying any bc the store has been out forever :( so I won't be taking any away from doctors/nurses/healthcare workers.

If I get a cold/illness I always wear a mask. Make sure that is sealed around the edges and change them if I cough/sneeze. I live with my parents and if I get my dad sick it almost always ends in a hospital stay.

I mentioned but my dad is immune compromised and has a chronic lung disease.
I'm very worried about him.

If SK gave an issue to wear filtering face masks them Idk why they're reporting it won't do anything here. The people there also have eyes that will be exposed.

I get saving them for people that need them though.

I keep looking at the unopened pack of n95 masks we have at my job wishing it was mine :(

Edit: also since we know people have the corona virus that show no symptoms waiting until people are visibly sick doesn't actually make sense.

Leaving them for hospital workers and vulnerable people is 100% valid reasoning though

Last edited:

nyeredzi

Im not buying any bc the store has been out forever :( so I won't be taking any away from doctors/nurses/healthcare workers.

If I get a cold/illness I always wear a mask. Make sure that is sealed around the edges and change them if I cough/sneeze. I live with my parents and if I get my dad sick it almost always ends in a hospital stay.

I mentioned but my dad is immune compromised and has a chronic lung disease.
I'm very worried about him.

If SK gave an issue to wear filtering face masks them Idk why they're reporting it won't do anything here. The people there also have eyes that will be exposed.

I get saving them for people that need them though.

I keep looking at the unopened pack of n95 masks we have at my job wishing it was mine :(

Edit: also since we know people have the corona virus that show no symptoms waiting until people are visibly sick doesn't actually make sense.

Leaving them for hospital workers and vulnerable people is 100% valid reasoning though
I agree with you in that it doesn't make sense to me that masks would do nothing in terms of contracting. 100% protection, I'm sure not. But reduction on transmission? How can it not? Any barrier to major entryways to your body must reduce transmission because it reduces the number of openings/opportunities to enter. At the very least, it makes you less likely to touch your mouth and nose and transmit from your own hands.

It feels to me like one of those inconvenient truths, because acknowledging any reduction in transmission causes every one to go buy, leaving little supply for those most in need. And I understand that.

meka72

Ohio man who tested positive for coronavirus speaks out about the disease
WARREN, Oh. (WTOV) —
The coronavirus, it's a deadly disease that is infecting more people in Ohio every single day.

NEWS9's Gage Goulding spoke with one resident who was diagnosed with the coronavirus.

We've heard all about the disease and what its symptoms are, but we have yet to hear from someone who tested positive.

All that changes after Kevin Harris, a man from Trumbull County, Ohio who tested positive for coronavirus.

"I had a tickle in my throat, just the smallest little tickle," said Harris.

That's how it all started.

Harris spoke with NEWS9's Gage Goulding from his hospital best Sunday evening.

It all began back in early March when Harris says he was taking a break from his autobody shop, staying at home for several days, not in touch with anyone other than his dog.

He says he went to a Cleveland area hospital for a doctor's visit. When he got there, he didn't know what he was walking into.

"Even though I didn't know who I was walking into or who I was in the elevator with, that's where I believe I got it," said Harris.

Later, he learned that two people who were at the hospital at the same time he was recently coming back from a long trip exploring the Nile River.

"They had tested positive for the coronavirus."

Harris saying he was in the same area as they were.

On March 2, the symptoms began and seen he tested positive for coronavirus.

He now says the worst part is breathing.

"It takes twenty minutes for me to catch my breath after they pick me up out this bed and sit me in a chair," said Harris.

Gage: "Do you feel like you're going to beat this disease?"

Kevin: "Frankly, I do not."

But he's determined to beat the deadly disease.

"This is draining me. It's killing me. But I have a fighting chance," said Harris. "If anybody was going to get this and not spread it so that we could be made aware and what to do about it, I'm the perfect person for it."

Harris is now calling on everyone to take the coronavirus seriously and take the precautions health officials are asking you to.

"The best thing that you can do is stay away from the people that won't survive this," said Harris. "Your grandparents, this will kill them. Social distancing is not a joke. We have to stay away from each other. Just for a couple months to let this thing pass."

ETA: I can’t upload his picture. He’s black. I hope this dispels the myth that black folks are immune.

meka72

Ohio ladies, my friend/coworker told me that Governor Dewine is going to announce some kind of mass quarantine at 2pm. Don’t know where she got that info.

ETA: my friend said that she heard the same thing from people she knows in national guard.

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

Ohio man who tested positive for coronavirus speaks out about the disease
WARREN, Oh. (WTOV) —
The coronavirus, it's a deadly disease that is infecting more people in Ohio every single day.

NEWS9's Gage Goulding spoke with one resident who was diagnosed with the coronavirus.

We've heard all about the disease and what its symptoms are, but we have yet to hear from someone who tested positive.

All that changes after Kevin Harris, a man from Trumbull County, Ohio who tested positive for coronavirus.

"I had a tickle in my throat, just the smallest little tickle," said Harris.

That's how it all started.

Harris spoke with NEWS9's Gage Goulding from his hospital best Sunday evening.

It all began back in early March when Harris says he was taking a break from his autobody shop, staying at home for several days, not in touch with anyone other than his dog.

He says he went to a Cleveland area hospital for a doctor's visit. When he got there, he didn't know what he was walking into.

"Even though I didn't know who I was walking into or who I was in the elevator with, that's where I believe I got it," said Harris.

Later, he learned that two people who were at the hospital at the same time he was recently coming back from a long trip exploring the Nile River.

"They had tested positive for the coronavirus."

Harris saying he was in the same area as they were.

On March 2, the symptoms began and seen he tested positive for coronavirus.

He now says the worst part is breathing.

"It takes twenty minutes for me to catch my breath after they pick me up out this bed and sit me in a chair," said Harris.

Gage: "Do you feel like you're going to beat this disease?"

Kevin: "Frankly, I do not."

But he's determined to beat the deadly disease.

"This is draining me. It's killing me. But I have a fighting chance," said Harris. "If anybody was going to get this and not spread it so that we could be made aware and what to do about it, I'm the perfect person for it."

Harris is now calling on everyone to take the coronavirus seriously and take the precautions health officials are asking you to.

"The best thing that you can do is stay away from the people that won't survive this," said Harris. "Your grandparents, this will kill them. Social distancing is not a joke. We have to stay away from each other. Just for a couple months to let this thing pass."

ETA: I can’t upload his picture. He’s black. I hope this dispels the myth that black folks are immune.
I really hope it's paranoia but I have a tickle in my throat and a slight cough.

Black Ambrosia

BREAKING: Canada closing borders in wake of coronavirus
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Monday his nation is closing its borders to people who are not citizens or permanent residents as the global coronavirus pandemic worsens in North America.

At the same time, Trudeau said some exceptions are possible, including U.S. nationals.

Trudeau, who is in self-quarantine himself after his wife tested positive for the virus after a trip to London, spoke to the nation from outside his Ottawa home, according to the Montreal Gazette.

The restrictions don’t apply to commerce or trade, Trudeau said.

Beginning Wednesday, international flights will only be accepted at four airports: Pearson Airport in Toronto, Trudeau Airport in Montreal, Vancouver International Airport and Calgary International Airport.

Any Canadians abroad showing symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to return, Trudeau said. Canadians out of the country should return home while they still can. “If you’re abroad, it’s time to come home,” Trudeau said.
There are just over 100 confirmed coronavirus cases in Canada.

Last edited:

rayne

I know it shouldn't but this kinda tickled me.

Irony... Norway advises students to return from poorly developed USA - aka 'sh*thole countries'

wade norris
Community (This content is not subject to review by Daily Kos staff prior to publication.)
Monday March 16, 2020 · 12:35 AM CDT
Recommend 115
Tweet
93 Comments 93 New

the road sign ahead... is not the Twilight zone...

Share this article

Norway’s government issues alert for all students abroad who are in the USA...

In line with the advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I, as NTNU’s Rector, strongly recommend that all NTNU students who are outside Norway return home.

This applies especially if you are staying in a country with poorly developed health services. This also applies for countries with poorly developed collective infrastructure, for example the USA, where it can be difficult to get transport to the airport if you don’t have a car. The same applies if you don’t have health insurance.”

oh the irony…

Remember when Trump asked why America couldn't pull more immigrants from countries like Norway?
Now we know for sure. Because Norway considers America to be a shi*thole country. https://twitter.com/JeremyKlemin/status/1239218272521859073 …

In 2018 private meeting with lawmakers, President Donald Trump reportedly expressed a desire for more immigrants from Norway after complaining about people moving to the U.S. from “sh*thole countries,” and naming Africa and Haiti, according to one of those present. Responses from Norwegians at the time indicated they were quite happy where they were.

What Norway is telling its students. If you're in a 3rd world country like the US, return home :)#coronavirus

this is way worse than ‘heck of a job Brownie’ of Katrina.

2020 — hindsight it is… (Yoda)