The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Black Ambrosia

I've been trying to decide on a desk to buy. I've needed one for awhile but now that I'm working from home it's more timely. These posts about Amazon concern me. I think we may see shipping companies scaling back too. If I order from Ikea I can pick it up but I'm so serious about avoiding crowds that I really don't want to even do that.

I picked up my mom's prescriptions from Costco earlier today and there was a sign indicating they're out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, rice, and chicken. Surprisingly it wasn't super crowded. The parking lot wasn't full but there were super long lines for the registers. I picked up OJ and a few other things.

Black Ambrosia

West Virginia still has yet to see a single case. I seriously believe their extremely high rate of crystal meth, opioid, and heroin use are actually protecting them.
You think the drug users' deaths aren't being reported accurately? (Meaning they have the virus but they're attributing deaths to conditions related to drug use)

I really want to know how the state is explaining this.

nycutiepie

I've been trying to decide on a desk to buy. I've needed one for awhile but now that I'm working from home it's more timely. These posts about Amazon concern me. I think we may see shipping companies scaling back too. If I order from Ikea I can pick it up but I'm so serious about avoiding crowds that I really don't want to even do that.

I picked up my mom's prescriptions from Costco earlier today and there was a sign indicating they're out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, rice, and chicken. Surprisingly it wasn't super crowded. The parking lot wasn't full but there were super long lines for the registers. I picked up OJ and a few other things.
Try Houzz.com

oneastrocurlie

Amazon is thinking about only shipping household essentials and high demand products. Does this mean that I won’t be getting those books that I ordered? :ohwell:

Amazon is limited merchants shipping to their warehouses to make room for more essential items. They are still shipping as usual. They are trying to hire 100k people to meet shipping demands.

The headline of the article going around is a little misleading. You have to read through it to understand what's happening.

Ganjababy

According to worldometer - On Friday the worldwide coronavirus cases was reported at 142k with 5374 deaths

Today it is 197k with 7950 deaths.

Active cases: 100k mild cases with 7020 critical
Closed cases: 81.6k (recovered) and 7950 deaths.

I expect it to continue rising as they increase testing. I notice Italy’s numbers are still bad. So is Spain and Iran. I have family in Spain. They are staying home.

One family member in Jamaica was sent home to quarantine as she has flu like symptoms but they told her she has not need in contact with anyone travelling from abroad so they will not test her but she should stay home. Luckily she lives alone and can work from home.

Ganjababy

That’s very kind of you. Thanks. I live in Canada.
:bighug:
I have the impression that you live and work internationally (could be mixing you up with Shiks). Are you in the US currently? We can exchange phone numbers (google voice numbers if that would make you feel more comfortable) and connect. Be warned though: I talk crazy half the time :lachen:

Ganjababy

Dire new report forces U.S. and U.K. to change course on coronavirus strategy

A startling new report from Imperial College London warns that 2.2 million Americans and 510,000 Britons could die from coronavirus if extreme action isn't taken to change the course of the outbreak.

Why it matters: The report's dire warnings prompted a quick course correction from both the American and British governments on their strategies, but its strict recommendations and long timeline — 18 months — to stem the tide could have far-reaching implications for both populations and economies.

What they found: The report states the effectiveness of "mitigation," which includes isolating only the sick and those linked to them while advocating social distancing for at-risk groups, is limited. It instead recommends "suppression," a much more wide-ranging tactic to curb coronavirus' spread.

The researchers say that suppression "will minimally require a combination of social distancing of the entire population, home isolation of cases and household quarantine of their family members." It also recommends school closures.

The report notes that this strategy could have to be in place until a vaccine is developed, which could take 18 months — saying it is "the only viable strategy at the current time."

Worth noting: While China and South Korea have managed to suppress the outbreak using similarly draconian strategies, the report admits that it's not yet clear if suppression's successes can last in the long-term.

The state of play: The findings caused a messaging shift on both sides of the Atlantic.

While President Trump had previously brushed off coronavirus concerns and compared it to a winter flu, the White House advised people on Monday to avoid gatherings of 10 or more, stop non-essential travel and avoid bars and restaurants.

The U.K. previously allowed its citizens to go about the world more or less as normal, but Prime Minister Boris Johnson walked some of that back this week — admitting that the country was only days behind Italy's outbreak and instituting more strict recommendations for at-risk populations. But it still eschewed lockdowns and closures like those being implemented around the world.

The big picture: The New York Times reported that the Imperial College researchers "had shared their projections with the White House task force about a week ago and that an early copy of the report was sent over the weekend."

The BBC called the report the "crucial piece of evidence" that spurred Downing Street to act, saying the researchers "first realized the scale of the problem in China" and noting their "advice is heavily influential in government."

The bottom line: The report admits that "no public health intervention with such disruptive effects on society has been previously attempted for such a long duration of time."

"How populations and societies will respond remains unclear," it concludes.

TrulyBlessed

West Virginia still has yet to see a single case. I seriously believe their extremely high rate of crystal meth, opioid, and heroin use are actually protecting them.

Some on Twitter including a nurse in WV are saying people are showing symptoms but there is a lack of testing being done. Their Governor definitely isn’t phased one bit. Maybe Bob Evans is the cure.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I posted about not using NSAIDS such as aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Alleve and Naproxen/Naprosen to treat symptoms if you think you have fallen ill with the corona virus. I found this:

"[...] BTW cytokine storm is when the body OVERREACTS to a infection like a virus. It was NOT the Spanish Flu that killed so many HEALTHY Military Aged Men in 1918 it was cytokine storm some researchers said it was actually encouraged by the “New Wonder Drug” of that era. Aspirin. Seems it irritates the already sensitive gut and encourages over reaction of the immune system.

Fermented foods like yogurt, unpasteurized sauerkraut, and kimchee are good for calming the GUT which is the vast bulk of our Immune System. And some studies show it useful for keeping cytokine storm at bay or reducing it’s effects."

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/pandemic/coronavirus-is-worse-than-youve-been-told/

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

Nigerian professor says he may have the cure for COVID-19.

We all know that Nigeria came through with their unique cure for Ebola.

YALL BETTA LISTEN TO THIS MAN.
And Nigeria betta have security for him because Pharma companies in the West would do anything to stop anyone cutting into their profits :look:.

Is there a transcript? It's hard for me to understand what he's saying with his accent.

Layluh

Looks like they're calling in the national guard which the chief mentioned this morning.

Texas governor activates National Guard in response to COVID-19
The announcement comes four days after Gov. Abbott issued a statewide disaster declaration due to the coronavirus.
CORONAVIRUS

3 hours ago

Author:Drew Knight
Published:12:33 PM CDT March 17, 2020
Updated:12:33 PM CDT March 17, 2020
AUSTIN, Texas — Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday activated the Texas National Guard to be prepared to assist with response efforts for COVID-19.

According to the governor's office, this preparative measure will ensure that the state's National Guard can aid in various ways across Texas as necessary. Healthcare employees and first responders who are members of the Texas National Guard are not included in this activation so that they can continue serving in their respective fields.

"By activating the Texas National Guard, we are ensuring Texas is prepared as we continue to mitigate the spread of COVID-19," said Gov. Abbott. "I am grateful to the men and women of the National Guard for their dedication to serving their fellow Texans, and want to assure the public that this is a precautionary measure to make sure the Texas National Guard has the capability to serve at a moment's notice where they are needed most."

At the time of the announcement, Gov. Abbott said no members of the Guard currently need to be deployed.

The governor said Texas is up to 64 confirmed cases of coronavirus across 19 counties. He also mentioned the state's first coronavirus-related death, involving a man in his 90s in Matagorda County.

As of Tuesday afternoon, 1,264 Texans have been tested.

"That number will continue to increase dramatically," he added.

Gov. Abbott said he's confident Texas will be able to test 10,000 people per week by the end of this week.

The announcement comes four days after Gov. Abbott declared a state of disaster across Texas in regard to the coronavirus.

Black Ambrosia

How LeBron James’ I Promise School is helping students during coronavirus pandemic
LeBron James had plenty on his mind this week.

The Lakers’ star did not just worry about the NBA suspending its season for at least 30 days after Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for the coronavirus. Or how a suspended or canceled season could affect James’ hope to deliver the Los Angeles Lakers their 17th NBA championship and their first in 10 years.

James also wondered how this would affect his I Promise School, a program that opened in 2018 as a partnership with his foundation and the Akron Public Schools to help at-risk youth with education and financial resources.

Gov. Mike DeWine (R-Ohio) announced Thursday that the state’s public and private schools would close for at least the next three weeks. So James spoke with Michele Campbell, the Executive Director of the LeBron James Family Foundation, about keeping the program’s Family Resource Center open so it could still assist students and families.

“‘We need to make that happen,’” Campbell told USA TODAY Sports about James’ recent conversation with her. “‘We need to do whatever we can to make that happen and make these services to stay open.’”

So although the I Promise School held its last day of classes Friday until further notice, the program has kept its Family Resource Center open.

It has partnered with Smuckers and Akron Food Bank to prep and give care packages filled with food, toothpaste and toilet paper to its 1,443 enrolled students and their families. The center has remained open for any families that need shelter, clothing, medical care and mental health assistance. And the center has kept its hotline open.

“Having the Family Resource Center open is just huge. I was very happy that our school system allowed us to do that,” Campbell said. “They understand the importance of that for our families. We built up this trust in having that available through the time. People are closing all over, and we’re doing the opposite.”

That has happened partly because of James, who spoke to Campbell on Friday night to inquire about the students’ well being on their last day of school. Campbell reported that the students “are scared and very sad not to be at school.” When students gathered Friday morning for breakfast and classes, however, Campbell said school officials offered some encouragement. As Campbell recalled telling them, “ 'even though you’re not in school, we’re still here for you.' ”

The LeBron James’ Family Foundation has given Akron Public Schools just over $1 million a year to help pay for teachers’ salaries, expanded staff so that each teacher has no more than 20 students, after-school programs, tutors and various resources that include food, medical care, shelter, legal aid and career development.

The I Promise program serves 343 students in third through fifth grade at the I Promise School and about 1,100 students in sixth through 11th grade through the Akron I Promise Network. Each program has added a grade each year so that I Promise School will have an eighth-grade class by the 2021-22 school year and the Akron I Promise Network will have 12th grade by the 2020-21 school year. The school has enrolled 120 new third-graders through a lottery based on low reading scores.

Overall, the program has two full-time staff members, 20 part-time workers and hundreds of volunteers. But Campbell admitted the program’s operating budget and staffing did not take into account a coronavirus outbreak that would lead to Ohio’s public and private schools shutting down.

“My hope is life turns back to normal. But we are prepared to serve and help them through that,” Campbell said. “Depending on what happens, we’ll face it head on.”

When James formed his foundation in 2004 and conceptualized the I Promise program in 2011, he knew how accessibility to food affected a person’s well being. James grew up in Akron in a single-parent home and moved multiple times throughout his childhood. Campbell recalled that James’ mother, Gloria, once remarked to her that “she always worried about being able to have enough food for (her) growing son.”

So when James launched I Promise School in 2018, he wanted the program to offer more than educational resources. He wanted a family resource center. The I Promise Pantry offers unlimited food, snacks and fresh produce for students and their families. They also have access to mittens, scarves, coats, socks, underwear, pants and toiletries. In 2019, the I Promise Village opened and offers transitional housing for students and families going through traumatic experiences, including evictions and domestic violence.

Still, Campbell said she, James and other I Promise School officials did not think they had all the answers.

“Did we have every box checked and know what we were doing? If we had to do that, we would’ve never opened the school,” Campbell said. “You have to do it, figure it out as you go and have the right people around you.”

While James plays wait-and-see with the NBA shut down, Campbell said that “he’s very involved with what’s going on and obviously has a voice in that.”

“He’s not doing this work just because of what is happening,” Campbell said. “He’s doing this work when he made this commitment to the I Promise program. This is a commitment for a lifetime.”

Layluh

Yes, there really was a ‘Typhoid Mary,’ an asymptomatic carrier who infected her patrons

Mary Mallon, left, in Riverside Hospital, before she was transferred to an isolated bungalow on North Brother Island. (National Library of Medicine)
By
Gillian Brockell
March 17, 2020 at 9:39 a.m. CDT
Mary Mallon was a great cook. So great that she’d made a comfortable life for herself in the kitchens of the rich after arriving in New York City as a penniless teenager from Ireland.

She was especially known for her peach ice cream.

Later, she became known as “Typhoid Mary,” a moniker recalled over the weekend as young people flooded bars to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, and a Nevada school board candidate wondered why she shouldn’t eat at her favorite Red Robin restaurant amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Katie Williams@realkatiejow

How can you spread a virus, if you're healthy and aren't carrying it?#COVIDー19

7:58 PM - Mar 14, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

20.3K people are talking about this

In 1906, it wasn’t a chain restaurant that caught the attention of George Soper but Mary’s peach ice cream recipe. A doctor and “sanitary engineer,” he had been hired by a wealthy family to investigate a typhoid outbreak in the summer home they rented out in Oyster Bay. They were afraid that unless they found the source of outbreak, no one would ever rent it again.

AD
Soper was a diligent investigator. He suspected the outbreak had been caused not by a contaminated water supply, as was often the case with typhoid, but by contaminated food. Most of what the renter’s staff prepared that summer would have been safe to eat, because most of it was cooked at high temperatures.

But not peach ice cream.

Soper tracked Mallon’s job history back years, doing what epidemiologists today would call “contact tracing.” He found eight former employers; seven had experienced typhoid outbreaks while Mallon was in their service. One of them had even given her a bonus when she stayed late to nurse the sick, according to Judith Walzer Leavitt in “Typhoid Mary: Captive to the Public’s Health.”

AD

ADVERTISING
Soper later said he was aware of research in Europe indicating that typhoid could have “asymptomatic carriers” — people walking around shedding germs who never appeared to get sick. He suspected Mallon might be one of them. All in all, Soper claimed she had caused two dozen illnesses and one death.

In 1918, the Spanish flu infected the White House. Even President Wilson got sick.

In March 1907, Soper found the Park Avenue house where Mallon was then employed and demanded that she give him samples of her feces, urine and blood. She threw him out of the house. Next, he went to health department officials with his theory. Eventually, she was dragged kicking and cursing from the home by police and forced to give specimens at a hospital.

She was full of the typhoid bacteria.

AD
Soper soon announced his findings at a physicians conference, and she became world famous. The media dubbed her “Typhoid Mary,” depicting her as a heartless serial poisoner flipping flapjacks full of germs. No matter that about a thousand New Yorkers got typhoid every year. Most of those were poor people with bad water supplies. The few dozen people that Mallon “attacked” were rich.

Mallon refused to believe what the doctors told her and declined their offers to remove her gallbladder (thought at the time to be the source of her typhoid shedding). So she was declared a menace to society and sent to live in isolation on North Brother Island, between the South Bronx and Rikers Island in the East River.

She was there for three years before her lawyers successfully petitioned for her release, under the condition that she give up cooking as a profession.

AD
And for a while she did. She got a job in a laundry, where the soap kept everyone safe and the pay, well, it stank.

In 1915, Mallon was caught cooking under a different name at a maternity hospital. This time, she was blamed for another two dozen cases of typhoid with two deaths.

“ ’TYPHOID MARY’ HAS REAPPEARED: Human Culture Tube, Herself Immune, Spreads the Disease Wherever She Goes,” a New York Times headline announced.

She was taken into custody and returned to her isolation bungalow on North Brother Island, where she remained for the rest of her life. She died in 1938 at 69.

It is unclear how many people with covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, caught it from asymptomatic carriers, according to The Washington Post’s William Wan, which is part of the reason health officials have suggested that even low-risk, asymptomatic people practice “social distancing” in the coming weeks and months.

AD
Given the highly infectious nature of the coronavirus and how exponential growth works, it is possible an asymptomatic carrier could infect more people than “Typhoid Mary” ever did

Black Ambrosia

Coronavirus confirmed in all 50 states and D.C., after West Virginia confirms first case
Confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, which has rapidly spread across United States in a matter of weeks, have now been reported in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

West Virginia became the last state to confirm its first case on Tuesday as local municipalities, state governments and the White House’s worked to broaden testing access and implement mitigation protocols with the hope of slowing down the infection’s spread.

“Our health officials came to me and said we do have our first positive in the Eastern panhandle," West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice said in a news conference. “We knew it was coming, we’ve prepared for this and we shouldn’t panic.”

Alabama, Idaho and Montana were among the final states to report covid-19 cases.

The novel coronavirus has infected more than 5,500 people and killed more than 100 in the United States since January, when the first confirmed case was reported in a Washington man who had traveled to Wuhan, China, to visit family.

Alta Angel

I have always wanted to flip my classroom. This has given me the opportunity to do so!

Myself and a good number of my FB friends are educators. It does my heart good to see so many of us offer to help with this digital education piece in any way that we can.

I gotta focus on the positive because folks are ticking me off not taking this quarantine seriously....

Everything Zen

Thank you for the article about Typhoid Mary- I w0rk with cancer patients and know at least one coworker who is almost 99% confirmed to have caught COVID-19. He went skiing in Germany and all 7 of his friends were tested and confirmed to have it and he flew back :rolleyes: and had a couple of days were he was "under the weather" but otherwise fine. The other coworker is a friend who had the shivering sweats, a fever, headache, muscle pain, a cough that became dry, etc. but he's ok now but went to a site for a site visit ANYWAY even though I told him not to AND also flew back home to Chicago and visited his parents to pick up his dog. These kids are :censored:

Ganjababy

It’s funny as I am reading this, I am listening to bbc and they said to avoid NSAIDs. Use paracetamol (Tylenol) instead.

I posted about not using NSAIDS such as aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Alleve and Naproxen/Naprosen to treat symptoms if you think you have fallen ill with the corona virus. I found this:

"[...] BTW cytokine storm is when the body OVERREACTS to a infection like a virus. It was NOT the Spanish Flu that killed so many HEALTHY Military Aged Men in 1918 it was cytokine storm some researchers said it was actually encouraged by the “New Wonder Drug” of that era. Aspirin. Seems it irritates the already sensitive gut and encourages over reaction of the immune system.

Fermented foods like yogurt, unpasteurized sauerkraut, and kimchee are good for calming the GUT which is the vast bulk of our Immune System. And some studies show it useful for keeping cytokine storm at bay or reducing it’s effects."

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/pandemic/coronavirus-is-worse-than-youve-been-told/