The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Jmartjrmd

And many sick people are young kiddos. We have a little girl at my daughter's Elementary school who can't even afford to catch a cold due to her medical condition that taps her immune system out. She can't be vaccinated and relies on other kiddos to be vaccinated or for their parents to keep their sick kids home. She and the school sends a letter to her classmate's parents every year, simply asking their consideration. We love her.
My nephew was like that. He couldnt be vaccinated so we relied on parents to let us know if anyone ot their sibling got chicken pox so he could stay home.

Avyn

My nephew's friend believes she's got the symptoms of the virus but she can't get tested because she didn't tick all the boxes that they use to determine whether someone should be tested or not at the urgent care center. They tested her for the flu and it came back negative. So she's self quarantined. I'm afraid this may be the case for many. In Europe people go to the doctor for everything because they can and have access. Here in the US, we don't and I think lots of uninsured people and people who just don't go to the doctor won't get tested and will probably unknowingly infect others because they don't know they've contracted it. I don't know how to post from social media on here. If I figure it out I'll share her post.

Last edited:

Jmartjrmd

I hope he pulls through. I hate this "only the old and sick" narrative. If I recall correctly, the doctor who blew the whistle on this in China was in his early or mid-30s.

That being said...i wouldn't be surprised if the fact that the people working the front lines--medical workers and the stress is making them more vulnerable (stress releases cortisol, which can mimic immunosuppressants, making you more susceptible to disease than usual) and thus more likely to have severe complications to COVID than someone their same age but not on the front lines undergoing the stress.
Very true I know I'm worse when I'm super stressed.
Yeah I hate they keep saying oh but the person was older it gives a false sense of security. i said this very thing in an earlier post and yeah the whistleblower doc was younger.
Plus now there have been 2 newborn babies who tested positive ( both outside US). Last I heard they are both doing ok. .

I will post an account from a US doctor working in Italy. It was so heartbreaking!!

moneychaser

Italy reported 475 deaths in the last 24 hrs

Italy coronavirus deaths rise by record 475 in a day
  • 3 hours ago
Related Topics
Image copyrightEPA
Image captionThe whole of Italy has been on lockdown for almost two weeks
The number of people dying from coronavirus in Italy has risen by 475 in one day to nearly 3,000 - the biggest increase since the outbreak.

There are a total of 35,713 confirmed cases in the country, with more than 4,000 having successfully recovered.

Lombardy, the worst-hit region, recorded 319 deaths in one day.

Italy is the world's worst affected country after China, where the virus originated last year. At least 8,758 people have died, most in China.

The vast majority of the more than 200,000 confirmed cases - 80% - have occurred in Europe and the Western Pacific region, which includes much of Asia, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

Ganjababy

Please don’t. They reiterated this on the uk news, not to baby sit grandkids
It's helpful. My daughter wants me to watch her kids and i have a compromised immune system. She's been partying like it's 1999 this past weekend while the rest of us are in self isolation. I told her yes, but i just can't take the risk. She claims she has a meeting..probably another party. smh..i CAN NOT!

rayne

Ok so I get a letter today from DD's school saying that a staff member has an immediate family that has tested positive for the virus. The family member doesn't have any symptoms. The staff member doesn't have any symptoms either but is self-quarantined and will only get tested if he is "determined eligible by health professionals".

I have a cold that I'm pretty sure that I got from a co-worker, or maybe my nephew, but I'm almost certain it's from my co-worker. Now I'm a little concerned because the co-worker worked from home Thurs and Fri of last week. He's also working from home this week, but that's because our department will be alternating the work from home schedule and this is his week. Next week I'll be working from home and he's supposed to be in the office. However, during our team meeting my boss made a comment that we'll ALL be at home next week. Why the heck will dude be at home when it'll be his week to come into the office? The guy is in the military and I remember him saying something about be out some time this month for his active duties. Sometimes he'll still log in even when he's doing his military stuff so I don't know if that's what my boss is referring to? Anyway, our meeting was via conference call and I could still hear dude coughing in the background. So now I'm wondering if his "cold" is really something else. At first I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he didn't have a fever, but now it seems that's no longer an indicator of having the virus. So I'm wondering if I should get tested? On one hand I feel like I'm being paranoid because the dude is a real talker and will visit about half of the people on our floor. So if he did have the rona, half of our floor would be sick. But then again seeing how people are reporting being positive while being asymptomatic I don't know what to think. And seeing that post about an employer not informing people of an infected co-worker isn't helping. But I do know that I'm irritated because I feel like I'd be considered low risk since I haven't been in direct contact with anyone that has tested positive and thus wouldn't be able to get tested. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got DD sick. So far DS and DH seem to be ok. I really hope it's just a cold (I do tend to be a hypochondriac) because not only is DH considered susceptible, or whatever it's called, he's still going to work and could possibly infect others. Ugh, I hate this!!!!

Sorry if this post is all over the place, but I can't get my thoughts together....

I messaged co-worker right after my last post and I think it really was/is just a cold. Although I feel a little better mentally, I'm still not 100% convinced that it's not the rona.

On the way home I was listening to the Al Sharpton show and a guy called in saying how he wish all of the states could get on the same page. This state over here doing one thing while that state over there does another is not working. Yesterday hubby was telling me that nothing has changed where my BIL lives. The kids are in still school and he recently took his daughter to the zoo. How are we going to "flatten the curve" when you have stuff like this going on? When you have people coming out in droves to hang out? I already felt like we're going to end up like Italy, but now I feel like it's going to be worse than Italy.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I feel the same @Black Ambrosia. I’ve moved into the Depression phase of the stages of grief.

I went past Denial early on when I kept reading about this bug and started preparing for it by researching and ordering things I thought we’d need. I hit Anger watching the idiot in the White House deny everything after he dismantled the pandemic response team because it was something the black guy set up. Bargaining stage, well I’m not a big pray-er so there was nothing to bargain with anyone over. I’m now in Depression.

Maybe I’ll get to the Acceptance stage as DH has? He has had to talk me off a proverbial ledge everyday this week. But I don’t know. This is unprecedented and people still seem to think there’s an end in sight. There isn’t. Our world has effectively changed and the sooner we can all get on board and accept that the better.

We on this board are super connected and have access to tons of info on the internet. More than some of our families and maybe neighbors too. We should be able to read and understand the facts on the ground. And share those facts. Far too many people still aren’t taking this seriously DESPITE what has happened elsewhere in countries with more effective governments and more accessible healthcare. There will not be a vaccine in the short term. We have to pull together and socially distance if we want to prevent a collapse of the medical system that is right now our only hope. We cannot overwhelm it. Doctors and nurses will die, and we will too.

I am so so sad about all of this, and trying to adjust to this new normal. :cry3:

Kalia1

I don't like the fear I feel. I'm usually a LOA person and have faith but it's being tested right now. I know I need to meditate. I need to get back to my old self.

You may need to take a step back from all of the news about the virus. Earlier I went to Costco and to Walmart for a quick run and I felt uncomfortable being outdoors and around others. This has never happened to me then it dawned on me perhaps all of the information I’ve been absorbing is taking a toll.

Lilac87

You may need to take a step back from all of the news about the virus. Earlier I went to Costco and to Walmart for a quick run and I felt uncomfortable being outdoors and around others. This has never happened to me then it dawned on me perhaps all of the information I’ve been absorbing is taking a toll.

Agreed. I think I’m going to avoid the news (and this thread and Facebook/social media) tomorrow to take a breather. I don’t like be so anxious and worried.

vevster

I am on an elderberry waiting list at my herb shop :nono:

Hopefully I can source some powder. I can fill my own capsules.
@discodumpling, That is exactly what grocery shopping has become; a hunting expedition! Two days ago, I waited in a line outside the store to get in when they reopened in the middle of the afternoon because they needed time to restock their shelves. Then they only let people in a small groups to keep from overcrowding.
Chile, I'm still hunting TP. I want one big pack.
Not familiar but here is info on Protector View attachment 456805

Hi, can you DM me with pricing and ordering info? Thanks.

Black Ambrosia

This was excellent dialogue about the current pandemic, they asked all the right questions. The interview with the 20something year old infected with Covid-19 will hopefully help common sense return to some of the younger people.
Good conversation but now I'm more concerned about it being airborne. I know it's not as simple as walking outside and automatically getting it but it's not uncommon to be going about your business and someone around you coughs or sneezes. If you're in line at the store or on an elevator then you're definitely inhaling what's coming out of them. The doctor said you're more likely to get it from it being airborne than from touching your face after it's on your hands. It really made it clear why we need to self quarantine or shelter in place.

Dellas

If our news don't hold the GOP and DEMOCRATS and Trump to the fire.

99% of all businesses are small businesses

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/five-big-myths-about-amer_b_866118

https://time.com/5803671/paid-leave-imminent-coronavirus/

Trump sign a bill give paid time off for large organizations.

He did the same thing to the farmers. Small farmers and businesses lost money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/66018A7A-15DD-11EA-83CF-824F436E0A5C

DEMs want a symbolic victory so much.
I don't even know about the testing and if there are caveats.

brg240

I agree with you in that it doesn't make sense to me that masks would do nothing in terms of contracting. 100% protection, I'm sure not. But reduction on transmission? How can it not? Any barrier to major entryways to your body must reduce transmission because it reduces the number of openings/opportunities to enter. At the very least, it makes you less likely to touch your mouth and nose and transmit from your own hands.

It feels to me like one of those inconvenient truths, because acknowledging any reduction in transmission causes every one to go buy, leaving little supply for those most in need. And I understand that.
Yep, you said this much clearer than me.

Hong Kong partially credits universal mask wearing with stopping spread

Also, Considering the CDC updated thier requirements to essentially say 'something is better then nothing' for healthcare workers I think we're right. (and tbh I don't think its sufficient for health care workers treating convid-19)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...c-loosen-coronavirus-guidance/?outputType=amp

Instead of recommending that health-care workers use specialized masks known as N95 respirators, which filter out about 95 percent of airborne particles, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted new guidelines Tuesday that said “the supply chain of respirators cannot meet demand” and that looser fitting surgical face masks “are an acceptable alternative."

The more commonly worn surgical masks will limit — but not eliminate — the chance of inhaling large, infectious particles circulating near the face.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/b...-lines-coronavirus-pandemic/story?id=69625036

CDC officials no longer recommend that health care workers use N95 respirators around COVID-19 patients at all times, recommending instead that N95 respirators be reserved for procedures in which small particles, known as aerosols, are more likely to be produced, for instance when critically ill patients are intubated to help them breathe.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/infection-control/control-recommendations.html

Summary of Changes to the Guidance:
  • Updated PPE recommendations for the care of patients with known or suspected COVID-19:
    • Based on local and regional situational analysis of PPE supplies, facemasks are an acceptable alternative when the supply chain of respirators cannot meet the demand
Some health care groups strongly oppose this move. That the lack of supplies should not dictate the standard

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Good conversation but now I'm more concerned about it being airborne. I know it's not as simple as walking outside and automatically getting it but it's not uncommon to be going about your business and someone around you coughs or sneezes. If you're in line at the store or on an elevator then you're definitely inhaling what's coming out of them. The doctor said you're more likely to get it from it being airborne than from touching your face after it's on your hands. It really made it clear why we need to self quarantine or shelter in place.

Exactly.
Ideally, you want to stay at home and away from people. Period.
If you must go out, you need a process to de-contaminate when you come back into the house. Wipe down your purse, keys, wallet, shoes, coat etc.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
If you have no surgical masks and you must go out here are some ideas to help you create your own. Some may be problematic and incorrect. But, the more info you have to start with, the better you can refine, correct and identify what's best.

With cling wrap and cloth: tutorial starts @15 seconds

This helps you understand the mechanics of the function of mask and how to get them tight on the face: tutorial starts around @1:00