The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Black Ambrosia

Scared, angry passengers are trapped on three cruise ships amid coronavirus outbreak
Tokyo (CNN) — It was supposed to be the holiday of a lifetime.

Instead, American couple Kent and Rebecca Frasure found themselves quarantined on a cruise ship, staring at ambulances lined up on land ready to receive the increasing toll of passengers diagnosed with a deadly virus.

On Friday morning, Rebecca, 35, found out she had tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus and had to leave the ship immediately -- alone, as her husband Kent, 42, was still apparently uninfected.

Her only symptom when she tested positive was a cough.

"It is terrible, I could never imagine that this could be happening right now," she told CNN shortly before she left the boat. "(The hardest part) is the unknown. Like, I don't know what's going to happen an hour from now."

The Diamond Princess cruise ship, on which the Frasures were traveling, has been quarantined off the coast of Yokohama, near Tokyo, since Tuesday, after a former passenger tested positive for the coronavirus.

There are more than 3,700 people on board, including 2,600 passengers, of whom 428 are American. So far, 61 passengers have tested positive for the virus, and the quarantine is expected to last until at least February 19.

So far more than 31,400 people globally have been infected by the pneumonia-like coronavirus, which originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, and at least 630 have died, predominantly in mainland China.

Three cruise ships in Asia, including the Diamond Princess, have had their journeys disrupted or brought to a halt by the virus. In the middle of the East China Sea, the Westerdam is struggling to find a port to dock at after being turned away from both Taiwan and Japan over fears of passenger contamination.

Meanwhile, in Hong Kong, the World Dream cruise ship has been held in quarantine since docking Wednesday, after eight former passengers tested positive for the virus.

http:////cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/200207182122-01-kent-rebecca-diamond-princess-exlarge-169.jpeg
Kent and Rebecca Frasure found themselves on a cruise ship under quarantine in Japan after a coronavirus outbreak.

Fear on the Diamond Princess

After Rebecca was diagnosed, Kent says no one came to disinfect the room the couple shared. He believes it is only a matter of time before he is diagnosed with the virus, too.
"(But) you roll with the punches and try to make the best of things as you can," he said.

Information from the cruise staff has been scant and he only found out that a further 41 passengers had been diagnosed with the virus after talking to a reporter, he said.

"The only way anybody knows (what is happening) is when people that are infected tell other people they've been infected," he said.

American author Gay Courter is also among the more than 2,600 passengers trapped on board the Diamond Princess, which she described as a "contaminated prison."

"(My husband Philip and I) are 75 and 77 years old, we have health risks and we are a bad category to get sick ... We are not safe in our rooms," she said.

In an attempt to escape the infection, Courter said she had contacted her insurance company, Medjet, which is willing to send a crisis extraction team from the boat to evacuate her.

US couple quarantined on ship in Japan: 'Trump, save us' 01:30

The US and Japanese governments, however, won't allow that to happen. Japanese health officials told CNN that any passengers of the Diamond Princess had to go through the quarantine process before they were allowed onto land and that the process was ongoing.

"We can be taken in quarantine, and extracted in quarantine and arrive in the United States safely," she said. "We are not sick at the moment but there is a major concern that circulating air on this ship can make people sick."

Courter said the US government could take them to the nearby Okinawa military base for evacuation, telling President Donald Trump that he could have another thousand US coronavirus cases on his hands if the ship wasn't emptied.

"This was a trip of a lifetime, and I used all of my credit card points. The way out was divine but right now I do not mind how I go home," she said.

Courter is afraid that if she becomes infected she may not survive. Older people are especially susceptible to the Wuhan coronavirus -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that 80% of all fatalities in mainland China were over the age of 60.
"I (just) do not want to go home in a box," she said.

Nightmare on board the Westerdam

The Westerdam cruise liner left Singapore on January 16 for what should have been a 30-day cruise around Asia. But after leaving Hong Kong on February 1, the ship has been turned away from the Philippines due to fears that there may be coronavirus cases on board. There is no suggestion that any passengers, current or former, have been infected.

Australian passenger David Holst, 63, who is traveling on the Westerdam with his wife Judy, said that the ship had briefly docked in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. But on February 6, Taiwan announced it would no longer allow international cruise ships to dock in its ports due to fears around the epidemic.

The Westerdam left Kaohsiung and was turned away from Taipei as well.

The ship, which is operated by Holland America, had been set to stop at five ports in Japan, but on Thursday the Japanese government said that it would not allow the Westerdam to call anywhere in their territory.

"No one wants us," Holst told CNN from the cruise ship, which is currently sailing through the East China Sea. "Holland America said they're in discussions with the US State Department, the US Navy, and the Dutch government to try and find a solution. I have no idea what that will be or when that would be."

Holst said he and his wife had spent more than $20,000 on the trip, including flights. But he said the past six or seven days had been a "nightmare."

"It keeps getting worse and everyone on board is just living in fear that the bell is going to ring and the captain is going to say, 'Return to your cabins, we're in quarantine and we've got a virus case on board,'" he said.

In a statement, Holland America said it understood that guests on board are concerned and it was doing everything it could to protect their health.

"We have implemented a significant number of measures. Our medical experts have been coordinating closely with global health authorities to implement enhanced screening, prevention and control measures for our ships," the statement said.

"We have no reason to believe there are cases of coronavirus on board."

The company added that all guests would receive a full refund of their cruise fare plus a future cruise credit of 100% of their cruise fare.

Holst criticized the ship for stopping in at Hong Kong and taking on new passengers there, despite the Chinese territory having coronavirus cases. "People are angry, I think the tension is rising and everyone on this boat for the last seven days has lived under the dark shadow of wondering whether we have the virus on board," he said.

In its statement, Holland America said it had followed US Centers for Disease and Control guidelines at the time the ship docked in Hong Kong on February 1.

Trapped in Hong Kong

In Hong Kong, the 3,600 people aboard the World Dream cruise liner have been under quarantine for three days after a number of passengers from a former voyage tested positive for the coronavirus.

Three crew members have been evacuated from the ship for treatment in hospital.

Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Hong Kong Department of Health said that all passengers would have to remain on board until "we complete the quarantine work." Chuang said 33 crew members had shown symptoms of illness at varying degrees, although most had tested negative for the coronavirus.

Before arriving in Hong Kong, the World Dream had docked at several ports across China and Vietnam. On January 24, after visiting those locations, more than 4,400 passengers disembarked mostly to return to mainland China.

Not long after, eight of those former passengers were confirmed to be infected with the coronavirus, potentially leaving the ship contaminated.

Dream Cruises has said it is attempting to contact passengers who had previously been on board the World Dream "to inform them of the situation and seek professional health assistance."

There is no word yet when the World Dream may be allowed to leave Hong Kong.

Black Ambrosia

U.S. citizen diagnosed with coronavirus dies in Wuhan, China, embassy says
Published 8:59 AM EST Feb 8, 2020

A 60-year-old U.S. citizen diagnosed with the coronavirus has died in Wuhan, China in what appears to be the first American fatality from the global virus outbreak, the U.S. embassy in Beijing reports.

The victim, who was not identified, died on Wednesday, according to the embassy.

Japan’s Foreign Ministry said a Japanese man in his 60s being treated in Wuhan also died. It said the patient had been suspected of having the coronavirus, but that it had not been confirmed.

According to Chinese health officials, the death toll from the virus, which broke out in Wuhan in December, jumped to 722 on the mainland. The total number of cases in China hit 34,5456, an increase of 3,399 over the last 24 hours.

In the the U.S., another group of 201 American evacuees from Wuhan arrived at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, Calif., to drop off 53 people for a two-week quarantine.

U.S. officials told reporters in Washington on Friday that more than 800 people have been brought to the United States from Wuhan on recent flights..

The plane that landed in California then flew on to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, where about 90 people will be quarantined, and then to Omaha, Nebraska, where the remaining 57 passengers will be housed at a nearby Nebraska National Guard training base.

There were no signs of illness among those who flew into Lackland Air Force Base, said Dr. Jennifer McQuiston, deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control’s division of high consequence pathogens and pathology. There were no immediate reports on the conditions of the other passenger.

In other developments:

•Three more cruise ship passengers were diagnosed with the virus in Japan for a total of 64 on board the ship.

•Five people from Britain, including one child, are hospitalized in France with the new virus from China after contracting it during a holiday in the Alps.

The announcement comes as China's ruling Communist Party faced a sharp public backlash following the death of a Chinese doctor who had been reprimanded by police in January for warning fellow doctors about the initial outbreak.

Li Wenliang, 34, an ophthalmologist at Wuhan Central Hospital, contracted the virus while treating patients, and his death was confirmed early Friday. Li was one of eight medical professionals in Wuhan who were arrested for attempting to warn colleagues about the virus outbreak. They were forced to sign statements confessing to the spreading of "falsehoods."

Black Ambrosia

It is like they are waiting for every single person on the cruise ships to be infected. Or they are waiting for that one person who cannot be infected to develop a cure?
The cruise ship situation is weird. Everyone will be infected if they don't take precautions. They may be protecting the people on land but everyone on those ships is probably just getting prolonged exposure especially if they aren't sanitizing rooms where the infected were staying.

LavenderMint

I just found out that one of my students is stuck in China. I’m home on maternity leave & my para messaged me that he went to his grandmother for Lunar New Year. No info on when or if he’ll be coming back. Every year I have students from all over Asia & they go back for holidays with extended family. This illness started in December; I don’t understand playing roulette & sending your baby to be there when it was a known problem by the time he left.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Of note: Not one reported case of the virus in neighboring N Korea.

Black Ambrosia

China’s virus death toll surpasses SARS but new cases fall

BEIJING (AP) — China’s virus death toll rose by 89 on Sunday to 811, passing the number of fatalities in the 2002-03 SARS epidemic, but fewer new cases were reported in a possible sign its spread might be slowing as other nations stepped up efforts to block the disease.

Also Sunday, South Korea reported a new case in a 73-year-old woman whose relatives visited Guangdong province in southern China. That raised South Korea’s total to 25.

In China, some 2,656 new virus cases were reported in the 24 hours ending at midnight Saturday, most of them in the central province of Hubei, where the first patients fell sick in December. That was down by about 20% from the 3,399 new cases reported in the previous 24-hour period.

Outside China and Hong Kong, 288 confirmed cases have been reported in 24 countries, according to the World Health Organization.

Experts say the declining daily toll of new cases suggests the virus’s spread might be slowing. They say, however, the total will rise further once Chinese laboratories test a backlog of thousands of samples from possible cases.

“Dramatic reductions” in the spread of the virus within China should begin to appear toward the end of the month if containment measures prove effective, said Dr. Ian Lipkin, director of Columbia University’s Center for Infection and Immunity, who assisted the WHO and China during the SARS outbreak.

Warmer weather will also reduce the ability of the virus to spread and bring people out of enclosed spaces where they are more likely to become ill, Lipkin said.

However, if there is a spike in new cases as people begin returning to work in coming days, then “we’ll know we’re in trouble,” Lipkin told reporters in an online news conference late Saturday from his U.S. home, where he is under 14-day self-quarantine.

The fatality toll passed the 774 people believed to have died of severe acute respiratory syndrome, another viral outbreak that also originated in China. The total of 37,198 confirmed cases of the new virus vastly exceeds the 8,098 sickened by SARS.

Meanwhile, a charter flight carrying Filipinos from Wuhan, the city at the center of the outbreak, arrived in the Philippines. The 29 adults and one infant will be quarantined for 14 days, the virus’s incubation period.

Elsewhere, France closed two schools and tried to reassure vacationers in the Alps after five Britons contracted the virus at a ski resort.

France stepped up a travel alert, recommending against all visits to China except for “imperative reasons.” Italy recommended students returning from China stay home from school for two weeks after the government reported three cases.

On Saturday, the U.S. State Department said two more flights from Wuhan with American citizens, permanent residents and close relatives landed in the United States. A spokesman said more than 800 American diplomats and others have been evacuated from Wuhan.

The WHO director-general said it will send experts to China starting Monday or Tuesday.

Asked whether that will include members of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus replied, “We hope so.”

The American Embassy in Beijing said Saturday a 60-year-old U.S. citizen was among the new fatalities in Wuhan, the first American death reported in the outbreak. A Japanese citizen being treated in Wuhan who was a suspected case also died.

Elsewhere in China, the industrial metropolis of Chongqing in the southwest told residential communities to close their gates and check visitors for fever. The government said the spread of the virus through “family gatherings” had been reported in Chongqing but gave no details.

Japan on Saturday reported three more cases aboard a quarantined cruise ship for a total of 64 . There are 3,700 passengers and crew on the Diamond Princess who must remain on board for 14 days.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said foreign passengers on another ship, Holland America’s Westerdam, won’t be allowed into Japan because of suspected cases on board. The ship, with more than 2,000 people, was near Okinawa and was looking for another port.

Airlines and tourism industries have been battered by the loss of Chinese tourists after Beijing canceled group tours and businesspeople to put of travel in an attempt to contain the disease.

Hong Kong began enforcing a 14-day quarantine for arrivals from mainland China. The territory’s chief executive, Carrie Lam, has refused demands by some hospital workers and others to seal the border completely.

China’s leaders are trying to keep food flowing to crowded cities despite anti-disease controls and to quell fears of possible shortages and price spikes following panic buying after most access to Wuhan and nearby cities was cut off.

Local authorities have been ordered to speed up food shipments. Informal roadblocks set up by some villages to block outsiders and possible infection were banned.

Public anger simmered over the treatment of a doctor in Wuhan who was reprimanded for warning about the virus in December. The 34-year-old ophthalmologist died of the disease this week.

Li Wenliang became the face of anger at the ruling Communist Party’s controls over information and complaints that officials lie about or hide disease outbreaks, chemical spills and other dangers.

Users of the Sina Weibo microblog service have left hundreds of thousands of messages mourning Li’s death and criticizing official treatment of him and other whistleblowers.

While the new virus’ mortality rate is lower than previous pathogens, it is likely to return after the current outbreak is over, Lipkin said.

“I think this one may (come back), and this is an argument that people are using to make for continuing to invest in vaccines and I think it is a reasonable argument,” he said.

Of the extreme measures taken, Lipkin said there was little choice given limited resources and knowledge about the virus.

“It’s sort of like the Titanic going down. You only got a certain number of lifeboats. You have to make some kind of a decision based on what’s best for the country as a whole and for the world.”

Last edited:

Queenie

While the new virus’ mortality rate is lower than previous pathogens, it is likely to return after the current outbreak is over, Lipkin said.

My issue with this claim is there have been about 800 deaths and only 2900 recoveries, which is more than a 20% death rate.

That claim will only work if you include the people who are still sick in your calculations. Maybe those sick people won't recover, which increases the death rate.

They could be basing it on the severity of current cases for a prediction of deaths, but I haven't seen those numbers being reported. I'm not confident that were are being told the truth with what's actually happening.

Black Ambrosia

@Queenie I knew everything I needed to know when I saw that they’re counting numbers and reporting a decline without all the samples being tested. And there are thousands of samples! SMH
Experts say the declining daily toll of new cases suggests the virus’s spread might be slowing. They say, however, the total will rise further once Chinese laboratories test a backlog of thousands of samples from possible cases.

vevster

I ordered those Force of Nature cleaning stuff. I love things like that. I definitely subscribed to her as I already have all of the things she suggested in my home down to the brand with the exception of elderberry gummies. I use capsules.
I’m ordering this today. Did you get it yet?

Kitamita

Ummm how they're reacting is incongruent to Dr. Drew's message. What if they know more than they're telling all of us? o_O

And what if the death toll is low because people arent dying by turning into zombies.....:drunk:

I kid. Sorta.

Sheesh, they just dragged them straight out the house like criminals but maybe these draconian measures ( like China is known to do) will keep it from getting worse. Obviously they are going hard on containment which would lead me to think it is worse than reported. And unfortunately, the incubation period is up to 14 days so some that were infected might have left before containment was implemented. So we will see how things play out.

Black Ambrosia

200 Georgia residents are being monitored for coronavirus
AJC Continuing Coverage: Public Health
28 minutes ago

Georgia health officials are monitoring nearly 200 Georgia residents who have recently traveled to China, where a deadly new coronavirus has sickened more than 40,000 people.

None of the residents visited China’s Hubei province, the epicenter of coronavirus outbreak, but they did travel through other parts of the country, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health.

All have been under self-quarantine, which means staying at home for 14 days, the illness’ incubation period. No one has shown symptoms of coronavirus.

Since February 2, U.S. citizens returning home from visits to the Hubei have been quarantined. Those who have been to other parts of China are subject to “proactive entry screening” and up to 14 days of monitoring and self-quarantine.

Foreign nationals who recently have been in China are temporarily barred from entering the U.S., unless they are the immediate family of American citizens and permanent residents.

The vast majority of coronavirus cases have been in China, where more than 1,000 people have died. But there 393 cases, including one death, in 24 countries outside of China, according to the World Health Organization.

In the U.S., a total of 13 cases have been confirmed.

The coronavirus virus, which was declared a public health emergency last month, first emerged in late December. It started as a cluster of pneumonia-like cases linked to a live animal and seafood market in Wuhan. Since then, the number of cases has been soaring.

Black Ambrosia

The Effect of Coronavirus on American Chinese Restaurants, Explained
Chinatowns across the country are experiencing economic crises due to the novel coronavirus and its surrounding panic. Here’s what you should know.
Feb 10, 2020, 1:17pm EST

While the United States has only 12 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that was first reported in Wuhan, China, fallout from the epidemic has had a major impact in American Chinese restaurants and U.S. Chinatowns from New York to Seattle. With sudden restrictions on international travel and cancelled flights to and from mainland China, where there have been over 40,000 cases of the virus, accompanied by a rash of coronavirus panic in the U.S., these businesses are experiencing huge economic losses.

While traveling, Chinese tourists spend about $258 billion a year according to the World Tourism Organization. But now, with strict travel guidelines in place, income from tourism has been fractioned. Airlines like Delta, American, and United have suspended flights, while Chinese airlines like Air China and China Eastern have greatly reduced or ceased travel to the U.S. completely. Tour guides and travel agents who cater to Chinese visitors in New York City, the number one U.S. destination among Chinese tourists, tell the New York Timesthat their buses, hotel rooms, and restaurant tables are sitting empty. They’re losing out on business from non-Chinese tourists and locals, too, as a result of xenophobia, racism, and general coronavirus panic.

What’s happening to Chinatown restaurants across the U.S.?
The Times reports that NYC’s three main Chinatowns — in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn — have seen business drop from 50 to 70 percent in the last two weeks. The owners of restaurants like historic Nom Wah Tea Parlor in Manhattan describe their environs as a “ghost town,” telling Grub Street that business had reached a five-year slowdown last Monday.

Steve Ip, owner of Yin Ji Chang Fen, tells the Times that he’s been expecting crowds of international students visiting New York-based family during the Lunar New Year: They haven’t materialized, and business at Yin Ji Chang Fen is down by half.

The phenomenon is widespread. Restaurants in Boston’s Chinatown are suffering, too: At a time when businesses like New Golden Gate Seafood Restaurant are normally bustling, that establishment and others are practically empty, Boston radio station WBUR reports. Business leaders in Houston’s Chinatown are seeing the same situation. The owner of Houston’s Shabu house, Debbie Chen, tells Houston TV station KPRC2 news that she’s worried about being able to pay her staff. Internationally, Chinatowns in London and Sydneyobserve declining business as well.

In San Francisco, Chinese Merchants Association spokesperson Edward Siu says foot traffic has dropped 50 percent in Chinatown. Despite no cases of coronavirus being contracted in San Francisco, Siu thinks unfounded fears about the virus are to blame. “We are safe and we are healthy,” Siu tells NBC Bay Area. “Don’t worry about whatever the rumors say. Chinatown is safe.”

How do fear and racism play into the coronavirus response?
In addition to the decline of visitors from China who might visit Chinese restaurants in U.S. cities, many American customers have stopped visiting their local Chinatowns due to baseless fears or misinformation. In San Francisco, for example, Chinatown pastry shop AA Bakery experienced a drop in business when an untrue rumor spread on WhatsApp that a bakery employee had gotten the new coronavirus.

Debbie Chen of Shabu House in Houston also suggests misinformation is to blame for the drop off in customers. There are no coronavirus cases reported in the Houston area, but Chen says social media rumors that there have been still harm her business.

As Eater’s Jenny G. Zhang writes, “the outbreak has had a decidedly dehumanizing effect, reigniting old strains of racism and xenophobia that frame Chinese people as uncivilized, barbaric ‘others’ who bring with them dangerous, contagious diseases.” Preliminary, unconfirmed reports linking the new coronavirus to a market in Wuhan also contributed to a wave of Sinophobia that smears Chinese eating habits and conflates them with the illness — despite the fact that most respiratory viruses like the new coronavirus are passed from person to person, not through food.

In Seattle’s Chinatown-International District Business Improvement Area, Harry Chan, owner of the 85-year-old Tai Tung restaurant, says he’s not surprised by what’s happening. “It does hurt the business a little bit, but the sad news is we expect that,” he tells Seattle’s King 5 News. Chan saw the same situation during the 2003 SARS outbreak: For him, negative news stories about China and deflated business as a result are cyclical occurrences.

To break the cycle, Monisha Singh, director of the Seattle Chinatown-International District Business Improvement Area, emphasizes that now is the time for neighbors to help one another. “We want them to know that business is open, our neighborhood is open, and everyone is welcome here, and to just be mindful of how the virus actually works,” Singh tells King 5. “It’s not a race-based virus.”

What can be done to help Chinatown businesses?
Steven Chen, who leads Boston’s Chinatown Business Association and owns a bakery and restaurant called Great Taste, also compares the current situation to the 2003 SARS virus outbreak in Asia. Then, as now, customers stopped coming to Boston’s Chinatown — until Boston’s mayor eventually staged a publicity tour of the neighborhood. A similar effort from public officials could help again, Chen suggests.

Civic leaders in places like San Francisco have gone to some lengths to reassure residents. SF’s mayor and other public officials, as is customary, participated in the city’s Lunar New Year parade, urging patrons to return to Chinatown. “We need to make sure we don’t overreact,” Dr. Grant Colfax, San Francisco’s director of Public Health, told NBC Bay Area. Despite these efforts, though, this year’s parade was reportedly less well-attended than usual.

Black Ambrosia

China develops a data-hungry app for tracking coronavirus
Luke Dormehl
8:45 am, February 11, 2020

Can an app help stop the spread of coronavirus in China?

The Chinese government developed an app that lets users check whether they are at risk of infection from the novel coronavirus spreading across the country.

The location-aware “close contact detector” app reveals whether users have been close to another person suspected of having coronavirus.
The data-hungry app serves as yet another illustration of China’s surveillance-heavy approach to controlling its citizens.

In order to use the app, users must scan a Quick Response code on their smartphones with apps such as WeChat or Alipay. They then must enter their name and ID number. The app then reveals their proximity to other people diagnosed with coronavirus.

“In China, and across Asia, data is not seen as something to be locked down, it’s something that can be used,” Hong Kong-based tech lawyer Carolyn Bigg told the BBC. “Provided it’s done in a transparent way, with consent where needed … From a Chinese perspective, [this is] a really powerful tool that really shows the power of data being used for good.”

According to the BBC:

The Chinese government defines ‘close contact’ as coming near to, with no effective protection, confirmed, suspected or mild cases of the coronavirus while the person was ill, even if they were showing no symptoms at the time.

‘Close contact’ covers:

• People who work closely together, share a classroom, or live in the same home
  • Medical staff, family members or other people who have been in close contact with patients and their caregivers
  • Passengers and crew who have been on planes, trains and other forms of transport with an infected person
For example, all air passengers within three rows of an infected person, as well as cabin staff, are seen as being in close contact, while other passengers would be recorded as having general contact.

Coronavirus app tracks the spread of virus
Unlike Google Flu Trends, the disastrous data-crunching service from several years ago, it sounds like the new Chinese app lacks a predictive element. Instead, it simply singles out individuals on a map. Nonetheless, such an approach won’t necessarily work. Aside from the risk of causing social panic, it’s not yet clear at what stage the deadly coronavirus is at its most contagious.

More than 1,000 people have so far died from coronavirus in China. Cases continue to emerge in other countries around the world as well. Coronavirus deaths in China now surpass the number of people who died from the 2002-3 SARS epidemic. That outbreak killed 774 people worldwide.

Apple, which relies on Chinese manufacturers to produce most of its products, continues to face disruption due to the virus. It temporarily closed Apple Stores in the country. Key players in the Apple supply chain also temporarily shuttered their factories in China. And when they reopen, many do so with only a comparatively small number of employees.

Ms. Tarabotti

This is like one of those disaster films about diseases that I like to watch- people stranded on ships or at resorts because of a virus and desperate to escape. The best place for them to be is on the ship being monitored by health officials. Since they most likely come from different parts of the country/world, if they were let off the ship they could potentially spread the virus to millions of people. This assumes that they are being monitored and some semblance of decontamination is going on.