The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I guess my question is- so... What is this two week massive shut down going to actually do besides possibly slow the spread for a while and try to force a sort of national quasi self-quarantine? If we go back to life as normal in 2 weeks how does that solve anything?

Things won’t be going back to normal in 2 weeks. This is a long haul thing. My DH BIL has a friend in the pentagon who called him last Thursday night. Frankly this is the beginning. I haven’t posted because I don’t want to be an alarmist. But the US has absolutely got to slow this thing down or else we become Italy and the hospitals will become overwhelmed. Which means usual things the hospitals need to address will become neglected. This is not the flu. We need to drastically slow the infections and need for critical care otherwise ...

Nay

I guess my question is- so... What is this two week massive shut down going to actually do besides possibly slow the spread for a while and try to force a sort of national quasi self-quarantine? If we go back to life as normal in 2 weeks how does that solve anything?
I've wondered the same thing. Maybe it's because they know if they say it will be a two-month shut down (or whatever longer time), that people will panic even more???

Also, I don't understand the logic of the number limit on gatherings. At first it was "large gatherings." Then it was no more than 250. Then it was no more than 50. Even if it's only 10 people, if one of those 10 has the virus, then everyone is potentially in danger of contracting it. Personally I'm trying to stay away from EVERYBODY!

meka72

So this woman worked on the floor below me and started to display symptoms of C19. On Thursday, the employees on that floor did not work so that the floor could be disinfected. However, no one else in the building, especially people/employees who would share the elevators with her, was told about possibly coming in contact with a potentially infected person. o_O
I probably work in the same building as your friend at the AGO. As my coworker left at the end of the day, yesterday, she overheard a woman say that she had just returned from visiting her brother in northern Italy, the epicenter for coronavirus in Italy. I don’t know why she’s coming to work and not quarantined. Now I’m looking at er’body with suspicion on the elevators lol.

Everything Zen

I've wondered the same thing. Maybe it's because they know if they say it will be a two-month shut down (or whatever longer time), that people will panic even more???

Also, I don't understand the logic of the number limit on gatherings. At first it was "large gatherings." Then it was no more than 250. Then it was no more than 50. Even if it's only 10 people, if one of those 10 has the virus, then everyone is potentially in danger of contracting it. Personally I'm trying to stay away from EVERYBODY!

Yeah see that’s what I’m expecting. They just don’t want to say it- and we don’t have an effective plan in place to truly self-quarantine or remain in isolation for that long of a time so two weeks is like a small test run of sorts.

intellectualuva

:lol: @ anyone taking a cruise right now. I mean they had to know when they got on the ship that they were taking a risk.

I have a former coworker on a cruise right now. She said she didnt want to miss out when she left last week. So there are indeed people who do not care and are still hopping on cruise ships.

It would not be me. It's going to be years before I look at a cruise ship

Everything Zen

I started developing a remote monitoring project for my company back in December as a cost savings effort because we have to self-fund our travel and wait for reimbursements :look: but I was able to justify it by pointing out all the inefficiencies and showed how much money it would save the company long term and help us keep up with data review timelines. With the pandemic this is likely going to be the new normal for my field in general and hopefully introduce some best practices for higher quality outcomes and a means to remain competitive and efficient that I’d like to introduce as I move into leadership positions as and as a thought leader in the industry.

awhyley

That link said I didn't have to pay the mortgage then, right?

I believe that mortgage delays/skipped payments are being discussed, (everywhere, because I'm hearing about it in the Caribbean as well), but nothing definite right now.

chile please. They tried to dock at Jamaica and Jamaica said NO SUH!!!

This ship was on the outskirts, waiting on supplies. Not sure whether they got sorted out as yet.

Dellas

Serious Question...meaning IDK:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-fewer-groceries-after-virus-depletes-stores

President Donald Trump said Americans should buy fewer groceries as retailers struggle to keep food and other products in stock because of concern over the spread of coronavirus.

“There’s no need for anybody in the country to hoard essential food supplies,” Trump told reporters Sunday at the White House. “You don’t have to buy the quantities because it’s hard to refill the stores.”

Trump added: “Relax. We’re doing great. It all will pass.”

The comments came after Trump spoke on a conference call earlier Sunday with executives of grocery store chains and food producers. He said the executives told him people are buying three to five times as much as they normally do.

Companies on the call included Walmart Inc., Whole Foods Market Inc., Target Corp. and General Mills Inc., among others.

Americans have raided grocery store shelves and depleted supplies of toilet paper, paper towels and hand sanitizer as the number of U.S. coronavirus cases has grown to more than 3,000.

Trump received a commitment that stores will stay open through the outbreak, though hours may be reduced, Vice President Mike Pence said.

Me:
Trump just said Americans should buy fewer groceries because he is worried about restocking.

With the Chinese Tarriffs...
With China having their own crisis....
With us not producing our own medical supply or food or supplies and being dependent on China....

Is it possible Walmart raised the alarm on their reserves...because if China put the health of their people first who are really going through it....
Then do we have a situation or could we have a situation where people have to stockpile stuff?

Just asking? Don't want to raise blood pressure or anxiety? I overthink too much. This could be just me.

I am asking because my thinking maybe off. Please correct me.

Last edited:

awhyley

Yes I tuned in at the 1 pm update and caught it all. Thanks for the alert here. Fear still has no hold on me. I am ready to see my Jesus right now if my time is up. I constantly witness to my family members who are not ready. It's not that I don't care, because I do, I just don't have the fear that most people have.

In fact, I had a dream 2 weeks ago where I was lying on my back and there was a man, (I couldn't see his face) on top of me holding me down with a sword in his hands about to strike me. In my dream, I remember not being even slightly afraid. I said to him with a calm I did not even know I had, "It's okay, I'm ready to see Jesus now." After that, I came out of the dream and woke up.

It was a short dream but it reminded me that fear has no hold on me at all, no matter what comes at me. I am so unbelievably calm and peaceful, it's crazy.

Agreed. No use being scared. PM address to the nation on the tv now.

Dellas

See- If NY is closing schools until April 20th that’s telling me something. Two weeks- yeah ok.
https://www.scarymommy.com/cdc-school-closures-coronavirus/

As part of the country’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, schools across the country (and the world) have been closing. While many of them have opted for two- to four-week closures, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced over the weekend that closing schools for eight weeks or more may have more of an impact when it comes to flattening the coronavirus infection curve and preventing widespread infection.

Okay, I can't with the 8 weeks! That is major.

GreenEyedJen

How did I miss this thread? Like... straight haven’t seen it for six weeks.

I live in the Hampton Roads area and they cancelled a HUGE festival scheduled for April 20-26th. Schools are also shut down and government offices are closed to the public. We also have the largest US Naval Base, so who knows what’s going on there. BUT. BUT. I WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT AND WE HAVE TO REPORT AS USUAL!

Almost everyone here has a family member in the military and I don’t know what kind of precautions they’re taking. And my job is not essential—I work in employment law. These grievances gon’ have to wait. Shoot.

tigereyes83

So I’m pretty sure my son and I had the virus back in early Feb. He traveled with me for work in Jan and I work VERY closely with a group from China. The news actually hit while we were on my work trip.. This was around Jan 26th

get back home and my son and I get sick. No Bigge.. he’s a toddler and I catch everything he gets.
Then I suddenly got super sick. I remember telling my husband this wasn’t some normal cold. Like I shouldn’t be this sick! I get a flu test for my son and I both negative. This went on for two weeks and I finally got better. I guess I will never know for sure but all symptoms described for the virus is what I had.

just think of all the others who were sick and never got tested...

kikigirl

Not sure if this has been posted before.

****Enter your zip code to find out the nearest COVID-19 test site.

https://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/

Test if you have symptoms.
1. Go to clinics instead of crowded large facilities.
2. Fees: Testing and Treatments are free.

If confirmed, home isolation for 14 days, please help stop spreading COVID-19.
Proactive screening to stop the spreads.
Be Safe Everyone!!!

Brwnbeauti

Things won’t be going back to normal in 2 weeks. This is a long haul thing. My DH BIL has a friend in the pentagon who called him last Thursday night. Frankly this is the beginning. I haven’t posted because I don’t want to be an alarmist. But the US has absolutely got to slow this thing down or else we become Italy and the hospitals will become overwhelmed. Which means usual things the hospitals need to address will become neglected. This is not the flu. We need to drastically slow the infections and need for critical care otherwise ...
I’m thinking at least 9 weeks.
Smaller grocery stores have been well stocked. Food Lion has everything, except tissue. Many alternatives- Kleenex, napkins etc
Also, we use brita filters. That’s what I suggest instead of bottled water. Too much waste

Last edited:

Lilac87

For those with toddlers that go to daycare (assuming your child’s daycare is still open), will you continue dropping off your little ones? DS is 2 and goes to a home daycare that we all love. His caretaker has 6 toddlers at most. DH has to work at home and with me being laid off last Thursday due to this mess, I need to spend some time getting my resume together and job searching.
I’m torn between feeling like I should keep him home or feeling like I should take him to daycare so that we can get some work done.

What are you guys doing?

GreenEyedJen

For those with toddlers that go to daycare (assuming your child’s daycare is still open), will you continue dropping off your little ones? DS is 2 and goes to a home daycare that we all love. His caretaker has 6 toddlers at most. DH has to work at home and with me being laid off last Thursday due to this mess, I need to spend some time getting my resume together and job searching.
I’m torn between feeling like I should keep him home or feeling like I should take him to daycare so that we can get some work done.

What are you guys doing?

I’m sorry—you’ve already lost your job over this? That pisses me off!

tigereyes83

What are you guys doing?

I’m sorry about your job. Honestly mines is in danger Bc of this mess as well...
I’m sending my son to daycare..

kids are not effected as much
I’m just coming out of severe post partum. I fear me being alone with him for extreme lengths might trigger something (my husband still has to go to work and very long hours)
I have to get my resume together
And the daycares are not giving back tuition.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-15_22-56-29.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-15_22-56-29.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 14
  • upload_2020-3-15_22-56-29.png
    upload_2020-3-15_22-56-29.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 9

Lilac87

I’m sorry about your job. Honestly mines is in danger Bc of this mess as well...
I’m sending my son to daycare..

kids are not effected as much
I’m just coming out of severe post partum. I fear me being alone with him for extreme lengths might trigger something (my husband still has to go to work and very long hours)
I have to get my resume together
And the daycares are not giving back tuition.

Aww, yeah that makes sense. I’m sorry about the post partum and I hope that your job won’t be in jeopardy too. Thanks for your response and being so open! *Hugs*

Theresamonet

Might be losing my job too, cause I don’t know if I’m going back to work right now. We’ve asked about working from home, and my employers haven’t responded yet. I work for a small UK based company, and only communicate with my employers periodically through Google chat/WhatsApp.

I know they’ve seen the messages, cause I see their little Google head bubbles pop up. :rolleyes: I will press them again tomorrow for a plan to get us through this period. The most important parts of my job can easily be done from home.

Well, I live two towns from New Rochelle and so far things are relatively calm. I was able to make it to Yonkers Costco an hour before it opened for essentials.

My job started telecommunicating two weeks ago but a few people go in once a week. We space it out so there are no more than 5 people on the whole floor at a time.

So far so good!