The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Layluh

China is also ghetto with it.
They have been snatching people off the streets (like physically), arresting those without masks and who were refusing to take one, or go home, yelling at people on loudspeakers who were not at least 6-10 feet apart, and really not letting people decide...they were enforcing it extremely strictly. They have cameras everywhere including facial recognition and patrollers strolling all day. I think that helped. Kinda like from those apocalyptic disaster movies...but they were not playing games.
In the US, people are still not taking it seriously at all.

See thats where the US (and the west really) and all of its Freedoms backfire on them. I find it strange how the president is unwilling to enforce a nationwide quarantine mandate. It makes him (and us, as a matter of fact) look weak IMO

Layluh

Anyway, so they finally told me what's happening at my job.

So our police department at the Medical center started receiving shipments on Tuesday or Wednesday and we didn't know why or where they were going. Eventually we found out we are acting as central receiving for the City of Houston because the feds and state (who are sending us supplies) don't want to deal with the city of Houston for whatever reason. And they put me in charge of all of this; all because I told them I'm studying to get a Master's in Math. So I'm excited cause I get to see so much but it's a lot of ******* work. I'm exhausted.

We keep getting random shipments with barely any notice. 2 boxes here and a truckload there and so on and so forth.

Last edited:

fluffyforever

A man started talking to me while in line at Costco. He says he has friends high up in law enforcement. Apparently the national guard is being dispatched as we speak and the whole country will be on mandatory quarantine starting Sunday.
I believe. A coworker showed me a pic on his phone of heavy duty military vehicles being transported via train here in Wisconsin. There were so many. It was an endless line of those little tanks. I’m guessing they were coming from Oshkosh where there is a military transport manufacture. I took a picture of it even to convince my family to get ready and make sure they are all well stocked.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Anyway, so they finally told me what's happening at my job.

So our police department at the Medical center started receiving shipments on Tuesday or Wednesday and we didn't know why or where they were going. Eventually we found out we are acting as central receiving for the City of Houston because the feds and state (who are sending us supplies) don't want to deal with the city of Houston for whatever reason. And they put me in charge of all of this; all because I told them I'm studying to get a Master's in Math. So I'm excited cause I get to see so much but it's a lot of ******* work. I'm exhausted.

We keep getting random shipments with barely any notice. 2 boxes here and a truckload there and so on and so forth.

Please thoroughly document what you are doing. No matter how tired you are, when you get home, write in your log the time and day and what you did. Also write with whom you worked, their position and their title.Write down the amount of shipments in number of boxes or pounds or whatever is measurable and countable.

That information will be very valuable. Do not take the log to work. Do not leave it at work. You are writing your ticket to the 'Big Time' with that log.

Congratulations to you on your incredible opportunity, @Layluh !

Chicoro

I believe. A coworker showed me a pic on his phone of heavy duty military vehicles being transported via train here in Wisconsin. There were so many. It was an endless line of those little tanks. I’m guessing they were coming from Oshkosh where there is a military transport manufacture. I took a picture of it even to convince my family to get ready and make sure they are all well stocked.

Can we see the photo, too?

Guapa1

@Guapa1 How are you doing today?

My niece is stressed but doing well. She’s texting me articles this morning and her appetite is a little better. Baby steps.

Thank you for asking. :kiss:The cough has got worse today. When my neighbour spoke to me through my window it took me half an hour to catch my breath afterwards so I'm not talking to anyone. It hurts too much. x

cutiepiebabygirl

China is also ghetto with it.
They have been snatching people off the streets (like physically), arresting those without masks and who were refusing to take one, or go home, yelling at people on loudspeakers who were not at least 6-10 feet apart, and really not letting people decide...they were enforcing it extremely strictly. They have cameras everywhere including facial recognition and patrollers strolling all day. I think that helped. Kinda like from those apocalyptic disaster movies...but they were not playing games.
In the US, people are still not taking it seriously at all.

The Chinese government were literally locking people in their homes.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/02/wuha...e-authorities-barricade-inside-home-12162599/

Last edited:

Layluh

Please thoroughly document what you are doing. No matter how tired you are, when you get home, write in your log the time and day and what you did. Also write with whom you worked, their position and their title.Write down the amount of shipments in number of boxes or pounds or whatever is measurable and countable.

That information will be very valuable. Do not take the log to work. Do not leave it at work. You are writing your ticket to the 'Big Time' with that log.

Congratulations to you on your incredible opportunity, @Layluh !

Those are great ideas! Thank you so much! That's why they assigned me to the job, to count everything that comes in, so I'm keeping a log of everything that comes in, but it's turned out to be much more work than just counting. My captain was like "So you're gonna be in charge of logistics. Tell everyone what to do and where to go" I'm like the ****?, I had to google a job description for logistics cause I had no idea what the **** that was. I'm just supposed to be the resident mathematician. that's it! lol.

Chicoro

Those are great ideas! Thank you so much! That's why they assigned me to the job, to count everything that comes in, so I'm keeping a log of everything that comes in, but it's turned out to be much more work than just counting. My captain was like "So you're gonna be in charge of logistics. Tell everyone what to do and where to go" I'm like the ****?, I had to google a job description for logistics cause I had no idea what the **** that was. I'm just supposed to be the resident mathematician. that's it! lol.

Please keep an additional log AT HOME! Your log for work may be confiscated after your duties are done. Thus, you need your own personal record for yourself so that you can communicate definitively, in the future, what you did.

Well, somebody has seen that you are more than 'just' the resident mathematician. It is important that you step up to your role and claim it mentally as well as professionally. I would be disappointed to hear that someone took credit for your work because you communicated that you were 'just' the resident mathematician. Even if you don't say, if you continue to think that way, you are devaluing what you bring to the table. Don't do it.

You too have been groomed and prepared for this moment. Step out on that stage with your shoulders back, head held high and that confidence gleaming, through all that magic you exude.

Step into and claim your role as Head of Logistics. Because if you don't claim it, somebody else just might, off your back and off your work.

nycutiepie

Thank you for asking. :kiss:The cough has got worse today. When my neighbour spoke to me through my window it took me half an hour to catch my breath afterwards so I'm not talking to anyone. It hurts too much. x
You need to get tested. Your pain is my pain sis. Do you have a primary that you have a relationship with? Any friends in the medical field near you?

Dear God help her and all of us in our hour of need.

Layluh

Please keep an additional log AT HOME! Your log for work may be confiscated after your duties are done. Thus, you need your own personal record for yourself so that you can communicate definitively, in the future, what you did.

Well, somebody has seen that you are more than 'just' the resident mathematician. It is important that you step up to your role and claim it mentally as well as professionally. I would be disappointed to hear that someone took credit for your work because you communicated that you were 'just' the resident mathematician.

Step into and claim your role as Head of Logistics. Because if you don't claim it, somebody else just might, off your back and the back of your work.

Thanks, I just made a copy right now.

I definitely had to catch myself this morning during our meeting from saying something negative. When chief officially announced I was in charge of all of it. I was like nooooo, in my head. But I kept quiet.

Kalia1

Someone Just Sent Me This:
(Not Sure If It’s True)

Fwd:
Check this out....
My co-worker just sent this to me....

Heads up/from someone in Jersey:

Hello family. Just got this from my contact at FEMA.

Please take heed...
Homeland security is preparing to mobilize the national guard.

Preparing to dispatch them across the US along with military.
they will also call in 1st responders.

they are preparing to announce a nationwide
2 week quarantine for all citizens,
All businesses closed.

Everyone at home.

They will announce this as soon as they have troops in place to help prevent looters and rioters...

they will announce before the end of the weekend,

within 48 to 72 Hours the president will evoke what is called the “Stafford Act”

The president will order a two week mandatory quarantine for the nation.

Stock up on whatever you need to make sure you have a two week supply of everything.

Please forward to your family/friends.

Chicoro

Thanks, I just made a copy right now.

I definitely had to catch myself this morning during our meeting from saying something negative. When chief officially announced I was in charge of all of it. I was like nooooo, in my head. But I kept quiet.

Good. You are NOT being set up to fail. You are being assigned because somebody, MORE than one level above you, knows that YOU get things done.

Chicoro

Someone Just Sent Me This:
(Not Sure If It’s True)

Fwd:
Check this out....
My co-worker just sent this to me....

Heads up/from someone in Jersey:

Hello family. Just got this from my contact at FEMA.

Please take heed...
Homeland security is preparing to mobilize the national guard.

Preparing to dispatch them across the US along with military.
they will also call in 1st responders.

they are preparing to announce a nationwide
2 week quarantine for all citizens,
All businesses closed.

Everyone at home.

They will announce this as soon as they have troops in place to help prevent looters and rioters...

they will announce before the end of the weekend,

within 48 to 72 Hours the president will evoke what is called the “Stafford Act

The president will order a two week mandatory quarantine for the nation.

Stock up on whatever you need to make sure you have a two week supply of everything.

Please forward to your family/friends.

Thank you for the detail. @caribeandiva mentioned this, too.

The Stafford Acti:

The Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act)[1] is a 1988 United States federal law designed to bring an orderly and systematic means of federal natural disaster assistance for state and local governments in carrying out their responsibilities to aid citizens. Congress' intention was to encourage states and localities to develop comprehensive disaster preparedness plans, prepare for better intergovernmental coordination in the face of a disaster, encourage the use of insurance coverage, and provide federal assistance programs for losses due to a disaster.[2][better source needed]

The Stafford Act is a 1988 amended version of the Disaster Relief Act of 1974. It created the system in place today by which a presidential disaster declaration or an emergency declaration triggers financial and physical assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency[3] (FEMA). The Act gives FEMA the responsibility for coordinating government-wide relief efforts. The Federal Response Plan includes contributions from 28 federal agencies and non-governmental organizations, such as the American Red Cross. It is named for Vermont Sen. Robert Stafford (in Senate 1971–89), who helped pass the law.

Congress amended it by passing the Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000, in 2006 with the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act, and again in 2018 with the Disaster Recovery Reform Act (DRRA).

Jmartjrmd

Oh no honey you need to see a doc asap. Shouldn't take 30 minutes to catch your breath. Really consider going because not to scare you but when respiratory troubles start they hit hard and fast.
what kind of phone do you have? If you happen to have a Samsung you can check your oxygen levels on your phone. Also keep track of your heartrate but please do not wait until you're in dire straights. Take care.

Chicoro

Oh no honey you need to see a doc asap. Shouldn't take 30 minutes to catch your breath. Really consider going because not to scare you but when respiratory troubles start they hit hard and fast.
what kind of phone do you have? If you happen to have a Samsung you can check your oxygen levels on your phone. Also keep track of your heartrate but please do not wait until you're in dire straights. Take care.

I agree. @Guapa1 is not online. Hopefully she will come back and see what you wrote.

TrulyBlessed

Police investigating teenagers coughing on produce at grocery store
By Morgan GstalterMarch 20, 2020 - 10:24 AM EDT

A Virginia police department is investigating reports that teenagers filmed themselves coughing on produce at a local grocery store and uploaded videos on social media.

The Purcellville Police Department said in Thursday Facebook post that the incident allegedly occurred the previous day at an undisclosed store, which immediately removed the items in question.

Officials asked for parents to monitor teenagers’ activities and social media accounts.

“We have learned that this appears to be a disturbing trend on social media across the country, and we ask for help from parents to discourage this behavior immediately,” Purcellville police wrote. “Please talk with your children and explain to them why such behavior is wrong, especially given the current situation regarding the spread of Coronavirus.”

Last year, there was a social media trend of young people licking tubs of ice cream and putting them back on the self.

Copycat incidents emerged after a young woman was seen in a video viewed more than 13 million times licking a Blue Bell Tin Roof ice cream tub at a Walmart store in Lufkin, Texas.

She was identified, and the case was turned over to the juvenile justice system. Authorities previously said the girl could face a second-degree felony charge of tampering with a consumer product, potentially facing a two- to 20-year prison sentence with fines of up to $10,000.

Purcellville Deputy Police Chief Dave Dailey told The Hill that police have reached out to the Commonwealth’s Attorney's Office regarding possible charges but said both agencies are trying to do more research.

“This is about education more than it is prosecution,” Dailey said.

Virginia schools have closed during the coronavirus outbreak, so school-age children might not have as much supervision at the moment, he added.

There are currently 94 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 in Virginia, according to the state’s department of health.

In Loudoun County, where Purcellville is located, there are five positive cases.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...ting-teenagers-coughing-on-produce-at-grocery

Chicoro

Got this link from Chrissie on Youtube:
https://www.ddsmagazine.com/single-...n-Black-Women---Coronavirus-Prep-List-COVID19

http://www.bugoutbagbuilder.com/blog/how-prepare-coronavirus

How to Prepare for Coronavirus
March 17, 2020
| By Mr.BOBB
Now that the COVID-19 Coronavirus is hitting our shores, and people are starting to hunker down at home, it's a good time to go through a list of items you should get your hands on as soon as you can.

We'll prioritize this list in order from most important to least and in categories.

First: make sure you read the CDC's page to stay updated on whats happening with Coronavirus (COVID-19).

BTW If you buy anything from the links we provide on this page we might get a small percentage of the sale. For more info click here.

Cleaning / Disinfecting
Cleaning items which may have come in contact with the virus with a disinfecting product is the best way to avoid contamination in your home.

Clorox Bleach (or any chlorinated bleach) can be used to create a powerful disinfecting sprays. Clorox also makes disinfecting wipes which are also useful and convenient.

1. To disinfect, first pre-clean the hard, nonporous surface.
  2. Apply the bleach solution by spraying directly on the surface or onto a cloth or sponge and wipe.
  3. If using a wet wipe, apply directly to surface.
  4. Focus on high-touch surfaces such as refrigerator handles, kitchen and bathroom counters, toilet seats and toilet handles.
  5. Allow the solution to contact the surface for 5 minutes, then rinse with clean water and let the surface air dry.
  6. The bleach and water solution needs to be made fresh each day you use it.
Solution recipe:
For the following products use ⅓ cup bleach to 1 gallon of water:
Clorox Disinfecting Bleach (Concentrated)
Clorox Performance Bleach (Concentrated)
Clorox Germicidal Bleach (Concentrated)

For the following products use ½ cup bleach to 1 gallon of water:
Clorox Disinfecting Bleach
Clorox Regular Bleach
Clorox Performance Bleach with CLOROMAX
Clorox Germicidal Bleach

Alternatives:
There is some evidence that UV exposure will kill the virus on inanimate objects; leave suspect items in direct sunlight for a few minutes if you do not have access to disinfecting products, but this is should be your last option. If you are already infected this will do nothing for you.

Anti-bacterial products will not be effective, since COVID-19 is a virus, not a bacteria.

Soap
Washing your hands and avoiding face touching (mouth, nose, eyes, ears) is the best way to avoid infection.

Any soap will do as long as you wash very thoroughly: wash between fingers, under nails, on backs of hands and wrists. Don't be lazy about it!

We've been using the Defense brand of soap products for the last year. They work fantastically and are powerful cleansers that don't ruin your skin with harsh chemicals, instead they use essential oils to do the heavy lifting.

Defense soap was initially designed to be used by wrestlers and martial arts practitioners, who come in regular contact with biological contaminants.

We love their products and cannot recommend them enough. Give them a try if you can.

Personal Protective Equipment
See our full list of recommended items here: Prepare for Pandemics.

But getting your hands on N95 masks, gloves, and goggles is getting difficult, if not impossible.

For an alternative, I would look to the Mira Safety line of masks and filters.

If you already have a mask which accepts 40mm NATO filters, check out their ParticleMax P3 Virus Filter - 6 Pack. They have a 20-year shelf life, small, and light-weight. They can be pre-deployed on masks (since there is no activated charcoal.)

If you want to learn more about masks and how to use them, see our article: The Ultimate Gas Mask Guide.

Water
Water is really not an issue in the US, although for many different reasons people don't like to drink from the tap, it is safe nearly everywhere to do so.

But if you have concerns, or want to add one more layer of protection between your drinking water and your body then there is no better solution than a Berkey water purifier.

Berkey water filters remove bacteria, viruses, and chemicals from water while leaving in the beneficial minerals (we recommend adding trace mineral drops to tap water to get an extra boost of beneficials.)

Our recommendation is to get the Big Berkey or larger sized model if you have a family of 2 or more, otherwise you are constantly filling it up from the tap.

Food
Thankfully food supplies around the world seem to be holding on, but there are enormous lines of people waiting hours in places like Italy to get into the supermarkets.

Planning ahead is a great way to go, and getting foods that can stay in the pantry for years is probably your best bet.

Get canned goods from the grocery store. You can get fish, chicken, vegetables, soups, butter, milk, etc. They can last you 3 years or longer.

Also stock up on rice and couscous. Flour can keep in the fridge for several months.

Freeze Dried Foods/Meals:
These companies make meals that only require hot water to reconstitute and eat:

Meats:
You can get frozen or vacuum sealed meats sent directly to your front door:

Fish:
Canned or flash frozen and vacuum sealed fish:

Snacks:
Ready to eat meals and or snacks for when you are on the go:

Check out our article on for a deeper dive into this subject: How To Store Food Medium Term (6-12 months)

Entertainment
If you're stuck at home like we are, then maybe you'll have some free time on your hands. Why not catch up on some reading?

Check out our Ultimate Prepper's Reading List for a bunch of our favorite titles, many of which you can get on a Kindle if you have one.

Well that's it folks. Hunker down, stay safe and try to keep yourself busy!

If you have any questions or want to talk to the gang, head on over to our Facebook Group and join in the conversation.