The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

GGsKin

Thank you for tagging me @Chicoro and to everyone posting in this thread. I've been keeping up to date from the beginning.

I live in London and we've finally been put on lockdown today. I'd already been restricting my movements, apart from travelling to and from work. Over the weekend I just didn't feel right about it anymore, and decided not go in today. After Boris's announcement at 8.30 this evening to shut everything but the essentials down, my manager called to say not to come in but he'll keep me posted with work.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Washington Post

Dan Lamothe
1 hr ago

U.S. combats martial law conspiracy theories as the National Guard assists in coronavirus response

The Defense Department’s response to the coronavirus outbreak has expanded to include not only the expected deployment of tens of thousands of National Guardsmen, but also a growing effort to stamp out conspiracy theories that the United States will adopt martial law.

Senior U.S. officials have addressed the issue in briefings, a Pentagon official rebutted speculative online posts and a new government website titled “Coronavirus Rumor Control.”

More than 8,000 National Guardsmen were on duty as of Monday to respond to the spread of the virus, with tasks ranging from delivering needed supplies to disinfecting public areas.

Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper said that President Trump had activated the Guard in California, New York and Washington state in “Title 32” status, in which governors control the forces but the federal government pays for them. Esper quickly added that “this is not a move toward martial law, as some have erroneously claimed.”

The chief of the National Guard Bureau, Gen. Joseph L. Lengyel, said in a phone call with reporters on Sunday night that he had “seen things on Facebook and the like" that depicted military equipment moving on trains and suggested the Guard was going to launch “some quarantine operation."

“There is just no truth to this rumor that people are considering, that governors are planning, that anybody is conspiring to use National Guard ... to do some sort of a military action to enforce, you know, shelter in place and quarantine," Lengyel said. “I don’t know how to say that any more clearly than that.”

The Guard has legal authorities to participate in law enforcement operations, such as crowd control but usually does so under the supervision of local police, Lengyel said. He left open the possibility that Guardsmen also could take on other missions at the request of local authorities, including stocking shelves in grocery stores if the food supply chain fails.
military is that it is always tantamount to martial law, Vladeck said.

© Andrew Kelly/Reuters A member of the New York National Guard carries paper towels as he arrives to sanitize and disinfect the Young Israel of New Rochelle synagogue in New Rochelle, New York, on March 23.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u...1Bfry?ocid=spartanntp&fullscreen=true#image=1

Chicoro

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2213-2600(20)30116-8

Are patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus at increased risk for COVID-19 infection?

The most distinctive comorbidities of 32 non-survivors from a group of 52 intensive care unitpatients with novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the study by Xiaobo Yang and colleagues1 were cerebrovascular diseases (22%) and diabetes (22%). Another study2 included 1099 patients with confirmed COVID-19, of whom 173 had severe disease with comorbidities of hypertension (23·7%), diabetes mellitus (16·2%), coronary heart diseases (5·8%), and cerebrovascular disease (2·3%). In a third study,3 of 140 patients who were admitted to hospital with COVID-19, 30% had hypertension and 12% had diabetes. Notably, the most frequent comorbidities reported in these three studies of patients with COVID-19 are often treated with angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors; however, treatment was not assessed in either study.Human pathogenic coronaviruses (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus [SARS-CoV] and SARS-CoV-2) bind to their target cells through angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), which is expressed by epithelial cells of the lung, intestine, kidney, and blood vessels.4 The expression of ACE2 is substantially increased in patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, who are treated with ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II type-I receptor blockers (ARBs).4Hypertension is also treated with ACE inhibitors and ARBs, which results in an upregulation of ACE2.5 ACE2 can also be increased by thiazolidinediones and ibuprofen. These data suggest that ACE2 expression is increased in diabetes and treatment with ACE inhibitors and ARBs increases ACE2 expression. Consequently, the increased expression of ACE2 would facilitate infection with COVID-19. We therefore hypothesise that diabetes and hypertension treatment with ACE2-stimulating drugs increases the risk of developing severe and fatal COVID-19.If this hypothesis were to be confirmed, it could lead to a conflict regarding treatment because ACE2 reduces inflammation and has been suggested as a potential new therapy for inflammatory lung diseases, cancer, diabetes, and hypertension. A further aspect that should be investigated is the genetic predisposition for an increased risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection, which might be due to ACE2 polymorphisms that have been linked to diabetes mellitus, cerebral stroke, and hypertension, specifically in Asian populations. Summarising this information, the sensitivity of an individual might result from a combination of both therapy and ACE2 polymorphism.We suggest that patients with cardiac diseases, hypertension, or diabetes, who are treated with ACE2-increasing drugs, are at higher risk for severe COVID-19 infection and, therefore, should be monitored for ACE2-modulating medications, such as ACE inhibitors or ARBs. Based on a PubMed search on Feb 28, 2020, we did not find any evidence to suggest that antihypertensive calcium channel blockers increased ACE2 expression or activity, therefore these could be a suitable alternative treatment in these patients.We declare no competing interests.Lei Fang, George Karakiulakis, *Michael [email protected] Cell Research and Pneumology, Department of Biomedicine and Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, CH-4031 Basel, Switzerland (LF, MR); and Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece (GK)1Yang X, Yu Y, Xu J, et al. Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study. Lancet Respir Med 2020; published online Feb 24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30079-5.2Guan W, Ni Z, Hu Y, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med 2020; published online Feb 28. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa2002032.3Zhang JJ, Dong X, Cao YY, et al. Clinical characteristics of 140 patients infected by SARS-CoV-2 in Wuhan, China. Allergy 2020; published online Feb 19. DOI:10.1111/all.14238.4Wan Y, Shang J, Graham R, Baric RS, Li F. Receptor recognition by novel coronavirus from Wuhan: An analysis based on decade-long structural studies of SARS. J Virology 2020; published online Jan 29. DOI:10.1128/JVI.00127-20.5Li XC, Zhang J, Zhuo JL. The vasoprotective axes of the renin-angiotensin system: physiological relevance and therapeutic implications in cardiovascular, hypertensive and kidney diseases. Pharmacol Res 2017; 125: 21–

Chicoro

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736(20)30566-3

Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan,
China: a retrospective cohort studyFei Zhou*, Ting Yu*, Ronghui Du*, Guohui Fan*, Ying Liu*, Zhibo Liu*, Jie Xiang*, Yeming Wang, Bin Song, Xiaoying Gu, Lulu Guan, Yuan Wei, Hui Li, Xudong Wu, Jiuyang Xu, Shengjin Tu, Yi Zhang, Hua Chen, Bin Cao

SummaryBackground

Since December, 2019, Wuhan, China, has experienced an outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of patients with COVID-19 have been reported but risk factors for mortality and a detailed clinical course of illness, including viral shedding, have not been well described.

Methods

In this retrospective, multicentre cohort study, we included all adult inpatients (≥18 years old) with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 from Jinyintan Hospital and Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital (Wuhan, China) who had been discharged or had died by Jan 31, 2020. Demographic, clinical, treatment, and laboratory data, including serial samples for viral RNA detection, were extracted from electronic medical records and compared between survivors and non-survivors. We used univariable and multivariable logistic regression methods to explore the risk factors associated with in-hospital death.

Findings

191 patients (135 from Jinyintan Hospital and 56 from Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital) were included in this study, of whom 137 were discharged and 54 died in hospital. 91 (48%) patients had a comorbidity, with hypertension being the most common (58 [30%] patients), followed by diabetes (36 [19%] patients) and coronary heart disease (15 [8%] patients). Multivariable regression showed increasing odds of in-hospital death associated with older age (odds ratio 1·10, 95% CI 1·03–1·17, per year increase; p=0·0043), higher Sequential Organ Failure Assessment (SOFA) score (5·65, 2·61–12·23; p<0·0001), and d-dimer greater than 1 μg/mL (18·42, 2·64–128·55; p=0·0033) on admission. Median duration of viral shedding was 20·0 days (IQR 17·0–24·0) in survivors, but SARS-CoV-2 was detectable until death in non-survivors. The longest observed duration of viral shedding in survivors was 37 days.

Interpretation
The potential risk factors of older age, high SOFA score, and d-dimer greater than 1 μg/mL could help clinicians to identify patients with poor prognosis at an early stage. Prolonged viral shedding provides the rationale for a strategy of isolation of infected patients and optimal antiviral interventions in the future.

Funding

Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences Innovation Fund for Medical Sciences; National Science Grant for Distinguished Young Scholars; National Key Research and Development Program of China; The Beijing Science and Technology Project; and Major Projects of National Science and Technology on New Drug Creation and Development.Copyright© 2020 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Introduction

In December, 2019, Wuhan city, the capital of Hubei province in China, became the centre of an outbreak of pneumonia of unknown cause. By Jan 7, 2020, Chinese scientists had isolated a novel coronavirus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2; previ-ously known as 2019-nCoV), from these patients with virus-infected pneumonia,1,2 which was later designated coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in February, 2020, by WHO.3Although the outbreak is likely to have started from a zoonotic transmission event associated with a large seafood market that also traded in live wild animals, it soon became clear that efficient person-to-person trans-mission was also occurring.4 The clinical spectrum of SARS-CoV-2 infection appears to be wide, encompassing asymptomatic infection, mild upper respiratory tract illness, and severe viral pneumonia with respiratory failure and even death, with many patients being hospitalised with pneumonia in Wuhan.5–7 Although some case series have been published, many patients in these series remained hospitalised at time of publication. To our knowledge, no previous studies have been done among patients with definite outcomes. The estimation of risk factors for severe disease and death in these earlier case series are therefore not very robust. Additionally, details of the clinical and virological course of illness have not yet been well described.Here, we present details of all patients admitted to the two designated hospitals in Wuhan—Jinyintan Hospital and Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital—with labo-ratory-confirmed COVID-19 and a definite clinical [...]

CurlyNiquee

I literally *just* came on the board to share an article related to this. Here's what I shared to my FB earlier today:

Just wanted to share this article in the event that it helps someone. Apparently, loss of sense of smell/touch is emerging as a potential coronavirus symptom. The major take-away being: if you lose your sense of smell or taste suddenly it can be a sign of infection, and to self-isolate, even if you have not experienced other symptoms. You may have a mild case and can still transmit the virus to others.

Article link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.html

As soon as I posted this article to my Facebook, an old friend from high school who lives in NJ shared that he and 5 of his close friends all suddenly lost their sense of smell and taste, and immediately moved to self-isolation. They still haven't been able to be tested to confirm, but decided to err on the side of caution anyway. It also brought to mind an interview I saw about a week ago with a young lady out in California - who she and her friends were eventually confirmed positive - and she mentioned that they all had lost their sense of smell/taste.

It definitely is a symptom, one of my FB friends posted this yesterday. She lives in London, has been unable to get tested....

np.png

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
We have drastically cut hours and personnel at my clinic. We cut Saturdays and all appointments after 4:30 PM on the weekdays. (we used to stay open until 7:30 PM). Most days we'll only have 3 doctors all day, we used to have 17. We've been down at least one nurse a day since last week, today we were down 2. We both only took 30 minute lunches to relieve each other and the phone was still off the chain. Patients upset the front desk staff won't schedule them or let them do a walk in appointment. I really don't think some of them understand the limitations of a healthcare facility in a pandemic and it's frustrating because the little bit of staff we do have are working tirelessly but it's still not enough for them. But we try to keep our spirits up.

qchelle

Today, Virginia announced that schools will remain closed for the remainder of the school year. Yikes. Guidance on graduation, grades, credits, etc is supposed to go out tomorrow, from the VA Dept of Ed to all the districts.

Gov. Hogan (Maryland) announced all non-essential businesses and stores should close today by 5pm (or 8?). Interestingly, home improvement (lowes, home depot) stores and liquor stores are considered essential lol.

Chicoro

We have drastically cut hours and personnel at my clinic. We cut Saturdays and all appointments after 4:30 PM on the weekdays. (we used to stay open until 7:30 PM). Most days we'll only have 3 doctors all day, we used to have 17. We've been down at least one nurse a day since last week, today we were down 2. We both only took 30 minute lunches to relieve each other and the phone was still off the chain. Patients upset the front desk staff won't schedule them or let them do a walk in appointment. I really don't think some of them understand the limitations of a healthcare facility in a pandemic and it's frustrating because the little bit of staff we do have are working tirelessly but it's still not enough for them. But we try to keep our spirits up.

@B_Phlyy
Thank you for your service to the community. Take care of yourself and stay well.

dancinstallion

The country and economy has already been sacrificed.

CORONAVIRUS[/paste:font]
Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick suggests he, other seniors willing to die to get economy going again
“Those of us who are 70 plus, we’ll take care of ourselves. But don’t sacrifice the country,” Patrick told Tucker Carlson

Dan Patrick, Texas’ Republican lieutenant governor, on Monday night suggested that he and other grandparents would be willing to risk their health and even lives in order for the United States to “get back to work” amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“Those of us who are 70 plus, we’ll take care of ourselves. But don’t sacrifice the country,” Patrick said on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

His comments followed President Donald Trump’s statements about the country returning to business in weeks rather than months.

Patrick, who said he will turn 70 next week, said that he did not fear COVID-19, but feared that stay-at-home orders and economic upheaval would destroy the American way of life.

“No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that America loves for its children and grandchildren?' And if that is the exchange, I'm all in,” Patrick said.

Millions of people across the country have been ordered to stay at home except to conduct essential business. Health experts have said limiting social interaction is the best way to slow the spread of infection and reduce the chance of overwhelming medical professionals and facilities.

Some cities and counties in Texas have such orders, but there is no statewide shelter-in-place policy.

Texas has more than 800 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least five deaths related to the virus.

Chicoro

Even in January, three (3) flights per week were arriving in Italy, from the virus epicenter of Wuhan stated at around @10:00 minutes into the video.

As early as Jan 21st, a virologist in Italy, Dr. Roberto Burioni communicated via published articles that stated, "This Chinese virus is dangerous...Roberto Burioni says Italians are at risk too."

Nine (9) weeks ago he told them, "European authorities have said that the risk of the virus spreading to Europe, especially Italy, is small. I do not agree with them at all though I sincerely hope I am wrong."

I think Cremona, Italy, is the hardest region hit. They have tremendously high fatalities and low survival rates for patients entering into intensive care. I believe their fatality rate was 100%. That is why the Samaritan's Purse American Disaster Relief Program, run by Billy Graham's family, has set up shop with 68 beds right in their hospital parking lot.Only 8 of those beds, I think, are for critical ill people. There is video up thread if anyone wants specific information about the mission and hospital bed designation of the the Samaritan Purse organization.

Last edited:

nyeredzi

I haven't looked at the other conditions, but those rates of hypertension are almost the same as the general population rate. I mean, 20 something percent in the general population, 20 something percent in covid death patients. It's what you'd expect if htn had no effect, no?
https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2213-2600(20)30116-8

Are patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus at increased risk for COVID-19 infection?

The most distinctive comorbidities of 32 non-survivors from a group of 52 intensive care unitpatients with novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the study by Xiaobo Yang and colleagues1 were cerebrovascular diseases (22%) and diabetes (22%). Another study2 included 1099 patients with confirmed COVID-19, of whom 173 had severe disease with comorbidities of hypertension (23·7%), diabetes mellitus (16·2%), coronary heart diseases (5·8%), and cerebrovascular disease (2·3%). In a third study,3 of 140 patients who were admitted to hospital with COVID-19, 30% had hypertension and 12% had diabetes. Notably, the most frequent comorbidities reported in these three studies of patients with COVID-19 are often treated with angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors; however, treatment was not assessed in either study.Human pathogenic coronaviruses (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus [SARS-CoV] and SARS-CoV-2) bind to their target cells through angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), which is expressed by epithelial cells of the lung, intestine, kidney, and blood vessels.4 The expression of ACE2 is substantially increased in patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, who are treated with ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II type-I receptor blockers (ARBs).4Hypertension is also treated with ACE inhibitors and ARBs, which results in an upregulation of ACE2.5 ACE2 can also be increased by thiazolidinediones and ibuprofen. These data suggest that ACE2 expression is increased in diabetes and treatment with ACE inhibitors and ARBs increases ACE2 expression. Consequently, the increased expression of ACE2 would facilitate infection with COVID-19. We therefore hypothesise that diabetes and hypertension treatment with ACE2-stimulating drugs increases the risk of developing severe and fatal COVID-19.If this hypothesis were to be confirmed, it could lead to a conflict regarding treatment because ACE2 reduces inflammation and has been suggested as a potential new therapy for inflammatory lung diseases, cancer, diabetes, and hypertension. A further aspect that should be investigated is the genetic predisposition for an increased risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection, which might be due to ACE2 polymorphisms that have been linked to diabetes mellitus, cerebral stroke, and hypertension, specifically in Asian populations. Summarising this information, the sensitivity of an individual might result from a combination of both therapy and ACE2 polymorphism.We suggest that patients with cardiac diseases, hypertension, or diabetes, who are treated with ACE2-increasing drugs, are at higher risk for severe COVID-19 infection and, therefore, should be monitored for ACE2-modulating medications, such as ACE inhibitors or ARBs. Based on a PubMed search on Feb 28, 2020, we did not find any evidence to suggest that antihypertensive calcium channel blockers increased ACE2 expression or activity, therefore these could be a suitable alternative treatment in these patients.We declare no competing interests.Lei Fang, George Karakiulakis, *Michael [email protected] Cell Research and Pneumology, Department of Biomedicine and Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, CH-4031 Basel, Switzerland (LF, MR); and Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece (GK)1Yang X, Yu Y, Xu J, et al. Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study. Lancet Respir Med 2020; published online Feb 24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30079-5.2Guan W, Ni Z, Hu Y, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med 2020; published online Feb 28. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa2002032.3Zhang JJ, Dong X, Cao YY, et al. Clinical characteristics of 140 patients infected by SARS-CoV-2 in Wuhan, China. Allergy 2020; published online Feb 19. DOI:10.1111/all.14238.4Wan Y, Shang J, Graham R, Baric RS, Li F. Receptor recognition by novel coronavirus from Wuhan: An analysis based on decade-long structural studies of SARS. J Virology 2020; published online Jan 29. DOI:10.1128/JVI.00127-20.5Li XC, Zhang J, Zhuo JL. The vasoprotective axes of the renin-angiotensin system: physiological relevance and therapeutic implications in cardiovascular, hypertensive and kidney diseases. Pharmacol Res 2017; 125: 21–

nyeredzi

Today, Virginia announced that schools will remain closed for the remainder of the school year. Yikes. Guidance on graduation, grades, credits, etc is supposed to go out tomorrow, from the VA Dept of Ed to all the districts.

Gov. Hogan (Maryland) announced all non-essential businesses and stores should close today by 5pm (or 8?). Interestingly, home improvement (lowes, home depot) stores and liquor stores are considered essential lol.
I'm expecting a similar pronouncement to be made in MD. These kids ain't going to be learning much, lol. I'm not a good homeschool teacher and frankly I don't have time to do it properly because I still work full time, even if it is telework. On still sending the both of them into daycare now ...

I can see how home improvement stores are essential. Probably most things in there are not, but some building repairs are urgent. I don't know what to say about liquor stores, lol. Except some people really are dependent on it?

intellectualuva

View attachment 457045

Website tracks stats specific to US.
https://ncov2019.live/

Created by a 17 year old in Seattle.

Unsure if you're aware, but please be careful sharing links (and apps if you have) to Coronavirus map trackers. Some of them have embedded malware and/or ransomware. I didnt find any issue with this one, but I did in a few others.

I would stick to official trackers from CDC or Hopkins because the predators are definitely taking advantage.

Chicoro

This is a picture from Cremona, Italy at the beginning of the outbreak. The gentleman with the white hair is in isolation due to testing positive. He is a surgeon and Director of Surgery at a hospital in Cremona.

One of the huge problems is that medical staff removes their personal protection equipment such as masks and they are in close proximity to one another. Many think this is the reason why so many staff have become infected or have died.

Assume everyone is infected. Act accordingly.

Doctor_and_Nurse_Assume_everyone_is_infected.png

Last edited:

Chicoro

Unsure if you're aware, but please be careful sharing links (and apps if you have) to Coronavirus map trackers. Some of them have embedded malware and/or ransomware. I didnt find any issue with this one, but I did in a few others.

I would stick to official trackers from CDC or Hopkins because the predators are definitely taking advantage.

@intellectualuva ,
Thank you very much for the update. I appreciate it. I will not post any more additional ones. I believe I posted the tracker by John Hopkins at the beginning, one for the state of Florida, and one from the young man from Seattle.

I appreciate the heads up. Now, we will have this very important information.

Chicoro

I haven't looked at the other conditions, but those rates of hypertension are almost the same as the general population rate. I mean, 20 something percent in the general population, 20 something percent in covid death patients. It's what you'd expect if htn had no effect, no?

Hi @nyeredzi ,

I try to post things that allow people to have fact based information, so they can come to their own conclusions as you have successfully done. It helps us to form a 360 view and as good of an understanding, as possible, in our current situation.

Thus, your comment and assessment are ideal in that you have communicated, despite the situation, the numbers we are seeing are consistent without the presence of the virus. This helps all of us find our way bit by bit, in the darkness or the obscurity of the situation.

Ganjababy

He can speak for himself only.
The country and economy has already been sacrificed.

CORONAVIRUS[/paste:font]
Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick suggests he, other seniors willing to die to get economy going again
“Those of us who are 70 plus, we’ll take care of ourselves. But don’t sacrifice the country,” Patrick told Tucker Carlson

Dan Patrick, Texas’ Republican lieutenant governor, on Monday night suggested that he and other grandparents would be willing to risk their health and even lives in order for the United States to “get back to work” amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“Those of us who are 70 plus, we’ll take care of ourselves. But don’t sacrifice the country,” Patrick said on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

His comments followed President Donald Trump’s statements about the country returning to business in weeks rather than months.

Patrick, who said he will turn 70 next week, said that he did not fear COVID-19, but feared that stay-at-home orders and economic upheaval would destroy the American way of life.

“No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that America loves for its children and grandchildren?' And if that is the exchange, I'm all in,” Patrick said.

Millions of people across the country have been ordered to stay at home except to conduct essential business. Health experts have said limiting social interaction is the best way to slow the spread of infection and reduce the chance of overwhelming medical professionals and facilities.

Some cities and counties in Texas have such orders, but there is no statewide shelter-in-place policy.

Texas has more than 800 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least five deaths related to the virus.

Chicoro

Game changer: This hospital, Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, New York, has successfully brought the ability to test on site!

This doctor in the Bronx has advised that Coronavirus patients have been very responsive to PEEP and proning, which she found surprising. I looked these terms up. I found an article that addressed this, from 2015. I pasted only the abstract of the study and link below for your reference.

Also, I have noticed in videos that many patients are on their stomachs. Would this be considered 'proning'?

Found the answer in the comments below the video!

Secular reflecter 17 hours ago
What is "proning"? Is that the spelling? Explain terminology!

no further west 17 hours ago
I think it means to lay on front.

JAMA Network
Patients are ventilating laying front-down rather than on their backs. It oxygenates ARDS patients better for unclear reasons.

walkercatenaccio 16 hours ago
@no further west Yes, it means putting people prone, i.e., on their bellies.

walkercatenaccio 16 hours ago
And "PEEP" means "positive end-expiratory pressure" to keep the bronchi and lungs partially inflated at all times.

no further west 16 hours ago
@walkercatenaccio cool thx

Here's an article that I found to explain the idea behind PEEP and proning from 2015.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4699336/
PEEP titration during prone positioning for acute respiratory distress syndrome

Jeremy R. Beitler,
Claude Guérin, Louis Ayzac, Jordi Mancebo, Dina M. Bates, Atul Malhotra, and Daniel Talmor
Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
Go to:

Abstract
No major trial evaluating prone positioning for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) has incorporated a high-positive end-expiratory pressure (high-PEEP) strategy despite complementary physiological rationales. We evaluated generalizability of three recent proning trials to patients receiving a high-PEEP strategy. All trials employed a relatively low-PEEP strategy. After protocol ventilator settings were initiated and the patient was positioned per treatment assignment, post-intervention PEEP was not more than 5 cm H2O in 16.7 % and not more than 10 cm H2O in 66.0 % of patients. Post-intervention PEEP would have been nearly twice the set PEEP had a high-PEEP strategy been employed. Use of either proning or high-PEEP likely improves survival in moderate-severe ARDS; the role for both concomitantly remains unknown. [...]

Everything Zen

Thank you so much for sharing @Chicoro

Even before it started I forgot about the chronic cough.

Man I wish we had YouTube, Khan Academy, Google and all these quick tutorials when I was back in pharmacy school :lachen:

I have little patience with these kids who don’t want to show their work and whine about homework these days. I encourage every parent that doesn’t know where to start to sign up their kids on Khan Academy and other resources bc there is really no excuse. I be like GOOGLE IT!!!!

I went on to say that the coughing side effect of ACE-inhibitors is definitely the culprit for why people who take them can be more at risk for having worse outcomes of COVID-19 but then again, I would speculate no worse than a person with asthma or bronchitis. The thing is- in some cases even after you stop taking it- the cough doesn’t go away for somewhere around 4 months. When I had to be placed on a second antihypertensive my doctor did not put me on an ACE-inhibitor because of that potential side effect due to the fact that I was getting severe bronchitis/walking pneumonia on an annual basis since 2013. She placed me on a calcium channel blocker instead. Also- there is some research that ACE-inhibitors aren’t as effective in African Americans.

Chicoro

Thank you so much for sharing @Chicoro

Even before it started I forgot about the chronic cough.

Man I wish we had YouTube, Khan Academy, Google and all these quick tutorials when I was back in pharmacy school :lachen:

I have little patience with these kids who don’t want to show their work and whine about homework these days. I encourage every parent that doesn’t know where to start to sign up their kids on Khan Academy and other resources bc there is really no excuse. I be like GOOGLE IT!!!!

I went on to say that the coughing side effect of ACE-inhibitors is definitely the culprit for why people who take them can be more at risk for having worse outcomes of COVID-19 but then again, I would speculate no worse than a person with asthma or bronchitis. The thing is- in some cases even after you stop taking it- the cough doesn’t go away for somewhere around 4 months. When I had to be placed on a second antihypertensive my doctor did not put me on an ACE-inhibitor because of that potential side effect due to the fact that I was getting severe bronchitis/walking pneumonia on an annual basis since 2013. She placed me on a calcium channel blocker instead. Also- there is some research that ACE-inhibitors aren’t as effective in African Americans.

Thank you so much! This is so helpful.