The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

sunshinebeautiful

Is anyone having problems concentrating? I am doing 2 online courses and I am struggling to concentrate. I would just not bother but I need the certificate and I cannot afford to waste the money. It’s only the thought of the money going down the drain why I bother to do the work. But it’s soooo tedious because of my lack of interest. I just want to watch the news and then when that’s too much escape with movies and tv shows...

I 100% feel you, but I'm on the other side. I'm a college professor and converted all of my classes to an online format last week. It is truly crazy because students are worried, stressed, lacking focus, etc., and yet and still, there's got to be a path to help them finish out this class. A global pandemic was on nobody's radar when we started this class in January.

I canceled a few assignments, altered others, and extended out due dates. In speaking with students, some are juggling work, homeschooling kids, and finishing my class; others are suddenly without a source of income as businesses have been closed; and then other students are working on a near constant basis keeping our grocery stores and hospitals up and running. And a lot of them going stir crazy from being stuck inside all the time.

Shoot - I'm all over the place and having trouble concentrating too. Super annoyed about the college administration harping on about this as if it's "business as usual." It's just NOT. I was up front and told my students why I canceled a paper that was due. I said if they're having trouble concentrating, imagine having to read and grade 150 of these mugs... LOL. Nah. We're good with *more than enough* work to do before the end of the semester. And no one objected either, lol.

Last edited:

intellectualuva

Thanks @naturalgyrl5199

I love stuff like that.

Also, for whoever needs to complain about a specific UPS driver, if you know the location of the building you don't need the car number. The PDS or even one of the clerks can pull who and which driver by address. Also, center manager and on road sups know too. The best time to call and ask for a center manager or on road supervisor is after 430 when the drivers are getting back or before 730 for a more direct solution. Even if you get the Customer Center for the building, ask for which center services your address. They should put you right through an office. Don't let them tell you to call the 800 number, demand a center manager or on road supervisor. If I still had friends there, I could atleast find names of numbers of who you can call but I've been gone nearly 10 years and most of my peeps left not too long after me.

Another backdoor option is to ask to be transferred to the IE or PE office and then from there find out which center and find numbers. Most of the time, they'll transfer you and/or give you the number to get you to leave them alone. Lol.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Saw this on news. People need to be careful and use some sense when it comes to things like this. Especially not taking advice from Trump. When he talked about this Dr. Fauci (spelling?) was quick to say it needed more studies.

Subscribe
The Guardian - Back to home
Show caption
Coronavirus outbreak
Arizona man dies after taking coronavirus ‘cure’ Trump touted with false claims
Wife survives after couple in their 60s ingested chloroquine phosphate, which Trump falsely claimed was approved to treat coronavirus

Associated Press in Phoenix, Arizona
Tue 24 Mar 2020 08.28 EDT

A Phoenix-area man has died and his wife was in critical condition after the couple took chloroquine phosphate, an additive used to clean fish tanks that is also found in an anti-malaria medication touted by Donald Trump as a treatment for Covid-19.

Older people would rather die than let Covid-19 harm US economy – Texas official
Banner Health said on Monday the couple in their 60s got sick within half an hour of ingesting the additive. The man could not be resuscitated at hospital but the woman was able to throw up much of the chemical.

“Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure,” the woman told NBC.

She said her advice would be: “Don’t take anything. Don’t believe anything. Don’t believe anything that the president says and his people … call your doctor.”

It’s unclear if the couple took chloroquine phosphate specifically because of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

“Given the uncertainty around Covid-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat this virus, but self-medicating is not the way to do so,” said Dr Daniel Brooks, Banner Poison and Drug Information Center medical director.

“The last thing that we want right now is to inundate our emergency departments with patients who believe they found a vague and risky solution that could potentially jeopardize their health.”

At a news conference last week, Trump falsely stated that the Food and Drug Administration had just approved the use of an anti-malaria medication called chloroquine to treat patients infected with coronavirus.

Even after the FDA chief clarified that the drug still needs to be tested for that use, Trump overstated the drug’s potential upside in containing the virus.

Chloroquine is obtained by prescription, and Banner Health is urging medical providers against prescribing it to people who are not hospitalised.

The difference between the fish tank cleaning additive the couple took and the drug used to treat malaria is the way they are formulated.

The man’s death came as the number of Covid-19 cases in Arizona spiked more than 50% in one day, from 152 on Sunday to 235 on Monday, according to the state health department.

Pima county reported its first coronavirus death: a woman in her 50s with an underlying health condition. It was the third Covid-19 death in Arizona. Two men, one in his 70s and one in his 50s, both had underlying conditions.

People have tested positive in 11 of Arizona’s 15 counties, including 139 cases in Maricopa county, the state’s most populous.

For most people, the virus causes only mild or moderate symptoms such as fever and cough. For some, older adults and people with health problems, it can cause more severe illness including pneumonia. The vast majority recover.

Topics

View on theguardian.com

Support The Guardian
Contribute
Subscribe
© 2020 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.

Hate to harsh but how the hell you are going to take medications due to the advice of Drump?

Sorry but you got to go.

#survivalofthefittest

Jmartjrmd

An associate of mine just posted that her 13 month old had labored breathing and a fever. At the hospital (a world renowned hospital) they told them that they didn't have enough swabs to test for anything, so to go home and monitor the baby.
Unacceptable!! Babies especially go down so fast. I wouldnt be able to sleep. They would have had to search high and low for a solution before I took my baby home. If a baby goes down unless they have a preexisting heart issue it almost always starts with a respiratory problem.
Hope the peanut feels better.

tigereyes83

No. Its not a state law or mandate. The State Surgeon General is asking us to screen based on Gov. DeSantis' recommendations bc we are a state entity that is essential services... We actually depend on them for lifting it bc mostly women work here. They are actually delivering needed materials like Special formula for medically complex kids and babies and gloves, sanitizing wipes, etc to protect the nurses. We are going to have to suck it up and lift it ourselves but this could present another risk to the employee. The delivery people are coming in contact with many other people in the area and then us. Exposure = risk, and our attempts to screen being ignored helps no one. The fed ex worker who barged in there yesterday had a high temperature (104) and could have some kind of medical issue; Flu, COVID, Strep, who knows? He wouldnt even call his doctor or the Main Health dept line so what can we do? He could be in the hospital within weeks---he is just hurting himself....But he is walking around possibly sick not even caring. Just wants to do his job and wants us to leave him alone. The UPS guy will be here tomorrow and we'll be calling dispatch with his truck number.

I don’t think they are mandated to lift anything inside buildings or to help you guys lift ( I will ask my hubby) It’s a slippery slope calling in the truck numbers with them. They can be petty.. and trust me they communicate with each other about drop areas that are difficult. This is a difficult situation for everyone. Your right.. They probably want to just do their job and leave.

I highly recommend finding an area for them to drop and not escalate. Just my opinion.

Layluh

Something good just happened from this. this is kind of unrelated but remember how i told yall im handling the distribution of testing equipment and medical supplies?

Well the chief called me in his office and said hes going to create a position doing some type of budget analysis/ statistics and data analysis. He had compliment after compliment to give me! Im so excited.

Now let's hope i don't die. Lol

@Chicoro

intellectualuva

I don’t think they are mandated to lift anything inside buildings or to help you guys lift ( I will ask my hubby) It’s a slippery slope calling in the truck numbers with them. They can be petty.. and trust me they communicate with each other about drop areas that are difficult. This is a difficult situation for everyone. Your right.. They probably want to just do their job and leave.

I highly recommend finding an area for them to drop and not escalate. Just my opinion.

It didn't sound like she was asking them to lift for them, it sounded like she wanted to check his temperature before entering the building and she feels forced to find another drop off location because he refuses to accommodate them.

In the same way, drivers have special requirements for stops that require IDs, buzz in/sign in, security checks, domestic/wild animal avoidance, package drop locations, etc, they can make accommodations for a temperature check before entering a building. Some drivers can do whatever for a residential stop (within reason of course), but when it comes to commercial stops not so much. Its a simple communication for a UPS driver to be informed of a new procedure before entering a building, no different than any new protocol for a commercial stop. I can't speak for FedEx since they are contractors, but UPS drivers cannot and should not just do willy nilly at commercial stops just cause or be petty in retaliation, especially not a government building.

Last edited:

King of Sorrow

I’m shocked even though they kept saying it was coming. But yesterday the deaths in total was 247 and so far today it jumped to 921!!! Today in the US? So nearly 700 died today? Or am I getting it wrong?

We currently have a total of 928 deaths, of which 223 occurred on Wednesday.

Wednesday has been deadliest day in reported coronavirus deaths in US
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/health/coronavirus-state-actions-wednesday/index.html

The dramatic spike brought the number of novel coronavirus deaths since the outbreak reached the United States in late January to at least 928. Sunday morning -- less than four days ago -- the nationwide total was 326 deaths, according to CNN data derived from state reports.

Officials reported 223 deaths Wednesday, an increase higher than any other day. Tuesday saw 164 reports. Experts have said numbers will rise dramatically as more tests are administered and analyzed.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

"This is Dr. Kizzmekia S. Corbett, a viral immunologist, working with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), taking the lead to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus." from Chrissie on YouTube

Dr Kizzmekia Corbett, left, senior research fellow and scientific lead for coronavirus vaccines and immunopathogenesis team in the Viral Pathogenesis Laboratory, talked with President Donald Trump as he toured the Viral Pathogenesis Laboratory at the NIH in Bethesda, Md. – Pic Credit: AP

Dr. Corbett and her team are using the template for the SARS vaccine since the Coronavirus comes from the same family, swapping genetic code to make it more palatable for the current virus in a strategy that Corbett calls “plug and play.”

Corbett is a viral immunologist by training whose research interests entail elucidating mechanisms of viral pathogenesis and host immunity as they pertain to vaccine development.

She graduated from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences and another one in Sociology in 2008. She is an NIH scholar and also a Meyerhoff Scholar. In 2014, she earned her PhD in Microbiology and Immunology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2014.

Currently, Dr Corbett and her team have begun running the first human trials of the vaccine in Seattle, just 66 days after the initial viral sequence release, which according to her is “a testament to rapid vaccine development for emerging diseases.”

Volunteers will receive two doses of the vaccine – mRNA-1273 – that are monitored 28 days apart in an effort to see how well the medicine “stimulates an immune response to a protein on the virus’s surface.”

“Phase 1 will only test on 45 patients but the second phase of the trial will require a larger number of participants,” Forbes reports.

“Finding a safe and effective vaccine to prevent infection with SARS-CoV-2 is an urgent public health priority,” Anthony S. Fauci, head of the NIAID said. “This Phase 1 study, launched in record speed, is an important first step toward achieving that goal”.

https://face2faceafrica.com/article...-developing-a-vaccine-against-the-coronavirus

Looking like a regal queen and goddess upon her throne. (I think this is the same lady.)

Last edited:

Chicoro

Dr. John Campbell: Making the Invisible Enemy Visible

How to make the invisible corona virus visible:

1. Testing: Swabs, tests to determine who is positive for Covid-19 and who has Covid-19 (anti-gen)
  2. Testing: Mass antibody testing to determine who may be asymptomatic and had Covid-19 exposure (anti-body)
  3. Quarantining those infected
  4. Isolating and Social Distancing of the uninfected
  5. Tracing back the path of the infected
  6. Identifying those in contact with the infected
  7. Identifying clusters
  8. Breaking the chain of infection
  9. Repeat

Last edited:

Chicoro

I thought this had been resolved: Competition on State, National and International Level for Supplies

Chicoro

Something good just happened from this. this is kind of unrelated but remember how i told yall im handling the distribution of testing equipment and medical supplies?

Well the chief called me in his office and said hes going to create a position doing some type of budget analysis/ statistics and data analysis. He had compliment after compliment to give me! Im so excited.

Now let's hope i don't die. Lol

@Chicoro

You still don't get it! You have been prepared for this 'hour'. I personally don't think anything is going to happen to you. You are much too valuable to your organization right now.

Please make sure you RECEIVE in writing the name of the position, the duties associated with it and the pay and keep a copy AT HOME.

Compliments are fabulous, but don't allow them to distract you from receiving the tangible and financial benefits that you have ALREADY earned and deserve.

Stay focused:
The ball is in your court if and when he follows through with this analysis. I want you to know that when the ball is in your court, the POWER to negotiate is in YOUR hands. When he makes the offer, you have the permission to negotiate and ask for what you want. You can choose to invoke that power and negotiate for what you want. That includes more money, a specific way or wording your title and position, etc. Or, you can choose to not invoke YOUR power. It is, of course, up to you.

I know that you will make the best decision for you. My goal in saying this is to ENSURE that you REALIZE the opportunity that has been layed before you and that you realize the POWER that you wield. Your intelligence, education, work-ethic and that which makes you - YOU- have prepared you for this moment. Seize the moment and grab that ring. You may never get an opportunity like this again.

You wield the power to lift yourself.
You wield the power to lift others.​

Step into your power, baby! We all already know your hair and skin look beautiful while doing it.
Keep us posted.​

Bravo, @Layluh !

Chicoro

A record, documentation for this thread:

Trump timeline about the virus, from: it's only 1 person, to it's going away soon... Never forget this.

Dr. Fauci says that the coronavirus is 10x more deadly than the flu. Never forget this.

Don Lemon says Trump is gaslighting you and rolls the tape

•Mar 18, 2020

Last edited:

Ganjababy

Okay thanks
We currently have a total of 928 deaths, of which 223 occurred on Wednesday.

Wednesday has been deadliest day in reported coronavirus deaths in US
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/health/coronavirus-state-actions-wednesday/index.html

The dramatic spike brought the number of novel coronavirus deaths since the outbreak reached the United States in late January to at least 928. Sunday morning -- less than four days ago -- the nationwide total was 326 deaths, according to CNN data derived from state reports.

Officials reported 223 deaths Wednesday, an increase higher than any other day. Tuesday saw 164 reports. Experts have said numbers will rise dramatically as more tests are administered and analyzed.

awhyley

Hmmm, this is really getting bad. The time for Mr. Nice Guy is over. Even if you have to barracade some of these people in their homes, it sounds like that's going to be the only option in short order. Over here, we're under 24hr lockdown until Mar31, which they might extend for another 30 days, because some (alot of) idiots went to (crowded) the beach last weekend. What is it with people and the beach anyways? So on Monday, we'll know the verdict. It's already sounding like,

Another month.jpg

It's only day 4, and I'm already stir crazy. :dizzy:

OhTall1

This was a good interview. "You don't pick the timeline, the virus picks the timeline." Yep.

Interesting that all these people need to tap dance around the President's foolishness vs. giving us straight, direct messaging on what we need to be doing to stop the spread. Gov. Larry Hogan in MD is another one that's been giving good interviews. He was on CNN the other night talking about imaginary countdown clocks, and how MD would focus on the guidance of health experts and the smart people at SME agencies. Shading Trump without using his name and giving the media the chance to turn this into a war of words between the two.

Jmartjrmd

Just yesterday at the press conference they said we have plenty of PPE for hospitals but these people were using Trash bags

Nurse dies in New York hospital where workers are reduced to using trash bags as protective medical gear
Sarah Al-Arshani

2 hours ago

Hospital workers near a tent erected to test for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at the Brooklyn Hospital Center in Brooklyn, New York City, U.S., March 19, 2020.
REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
  • A healthcare worker in a New York City hospital died from COVID-19 on Tuesday.
  • He was working with COVID-19 patients and was diagnosed with the virus almost two weeks ago, according to the New York Post.
  • Protective equipment is running low: Healthcare workers in the same hospital system posted photos of themselves on Facebook wearing garbage bags

A nurse at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York died from COVID-19 after contracting coronavirus almost two weeks ago. Protective medical gowns are in such short supply in the Mount Sinai system that some nurses have started to use "Hefty" brand garbage bags instead, according to photos on social media.

The New York Post reported that Kious Kelly, an assistant nursing manager at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, died on Tuesday. Kelly was 48 years old.

His sister confirmed his death to The Post, saying she was told he had been in the ICU, but that he did not think it was serious. The Post did not specify how he contracted the virus.

"We are deeply saddened by the passing of a beloved member of our nursing staff," Renatt Brodsky, a spokesperson for the Mount Sinai Health System told Business Insider in a statement. Brodsky did not provide any further details.

In the United States, New York state has become the epicenter for the coronavirus outbreak, with more than 33,000 infections and over 360 deaths. In New York and other areas in the US with large outbreaks, healthcare workers are reporting shortages of personal protective equipment, like masks, gowns, face shields, and gloves.

At Mount Sinai West, in the same hospital system where Kelly worked, nurses published a photo on social media showing them fashioning plastic trash bags into protective outfits, according to the Post.

"NO MORE GOWNS IN THE WHOLE HOSPITAL," they wrote on Facebook. "NO MORE MASKS AND REUSING THE DISPOSABLE ONES … NURSES FIGURING IT OUT DURING COVID-19 CRISIS." One nurse is seen holding a box of Hefty "Strong" 33-gallon bags, more commonly used for lining household trash cans.

CORONAVIRUS LIVE UPDATES 8 hours agoCoronavirus: Latest news

Chicoro

Here's a paper to which Dr. Kizzmekia S. Corbett contributed:

Cryo-EM structure of the 2019-nCoV spike in the prefusion conformation

1. Daniel Wrapp1,*,
  2. Nianshuang Wang1,*,
  3. Kizzmekia S. Corbett2,
  4. Jory A. Goldsmith1,
  5. Ching-Lin Hsieh1,
  6. Olubukola Abiona2,
  7. Barney S. Graham2,
  8. Jason S. McLellan1,

See all authors and affiliations

Science 13 Mar 2020:
Vol. 367, Issue 6483, pp. 1260-1263
DOI: 10.1126/science.abb2507

Structure of the nCoV trimeric spike
The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak of a novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) to be a public health emergency of international concern. The virus binds to host cells through its trimeric spike glycoprotein, making this protein a key target for potential therapies and diagnostics. Wrapp et al. determined a 3.5-angstrom-resolution structure of the 2019-nCoV trimeric spike protein by cryo–electron microscopy. Using biophysical assays, the authors show that this protein binds at least 10 times more tightly than the corresponding spike protein of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)–CoV to their common host cell receptor. They also tested three antibodies known to bind to the SARS-CoV spike protein but did not detect binding to the 2019-nCoV spike protein. These studies provide valuable information to guide the development of medical counter-measures for 2019-nCoV.

Science, this issue p. 1260
Abstract
The outbreak of a novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) represents a pandemic threat that has been declared a public health emergency of international concern. The CoV spike (S) glycoprotein is a key target for vaccines, therapeutic antibodies, and diagnostics. To facilitate medical countermeasure development, we determined a 3.5-angstrom-resolution cryo–electron microscopy structure of the 2019-nCoV S trimer in the prefusion conformation. The predominant state of the trimer has one of the three receptor-binding domains (RBDs) rotated up in a receptor-accessible conformation. We also provide biophysical and structural evidence that the 2019-nCoV S protein binds angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) with higher affinity than does severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)-CoV S. Additionally, we tested several published SARS-CoV RBD-specific monoclonal antibodies and found that they do not have appreciable binding to 2019-nCoV S, suggesting that antibody cross-reactivity may be limited between the two RBDs. The structure of 2019-nCoV S should enable the rapid development and evaluation of medical countermeasures to address the ongoing public health crisis.