The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Have ya'll seen this nonsense?

Hobby Lobby told managers to 'make every effort to continue working the employees' and denied employees paid sick leave. We got a look at the full memo.

• In an internal Hobby Lobby memo obtained by Business Insider, the company told managers that sick employees must use personal paid time off and vacation pay or take an "unpaid leave of absence until further notice."
  • In the case of mandated store closures, the memo said employees will be eligible for emergency pay only after paid time off and vacation days have been depleted, at which point they will receive 75% of their regular rate of pay based on an average of shifts from the previous six weeks.
  • "The district manager has said that our stores will remain open until the National Guard comes in and physically shuts the buildings down," a Hobby Lobby manager told Business Insider.

Shortly after Hobby Lobby founder David Green reportedly told employees he will leave stores open as a result of a message from God, the craft store chain is now refusing paid sick leave for ill workers amid the coronavirus outbreak.

In a memo sent to store managers on March 23 that was obtained by Business Insider, Randy Betts, Hobby Lobby's vice president of store operations, wrote that the company "is going to make every effort to continue working the employees." In cases of illness, Betts wrote that sick workers would be required to use personal paid time off and vacation pay or take an "unpaid leave of absence until further notice."

According to the memo, if a store is required to close because of a state or federal mandate, employees will first be required to use "all available paid time off benefits." After those resources are depleted, workers will be eligible for "emergency pay" that is 75% of their regular rate of pay, and the payments will be made not based on scheduled shifts, but rather "on the average hours during the previous six weeks."

Hobby Lobby did not respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

A Hobby Lobby district manager, who spoke on condition of anonymity to protect his job and whose employment status was confirmed by Business Insider, wrote in an email that he felt "very anxious about this whole situation."

"Our management has doubled down on the work stance, and the district manager has said that our stores will remain open until the National Guard comes in and physically shuts the buildings down," the employee wrote.

You can read the full memo — with more details about how Hobby Lobby will have employees seek unemployment benefits if they fall ill and use all their vacation and PTO — here.

brg240

I was trying to see when this church sevice was but I couldn't find it. but dang I'm glad most church services that i know of have shut down. Churches generally have a lot of elderly people

Let's not redo the cluster in korea.

Smh knew that was coming. Stay safe and healthy ladies

I went home from work early bc I felt really nauseated. That's not a symptom I saw thankfully. So it may be stress or a stomach bug.

Stormy

TheHill
View attachment 457215
STATE WATCH
March 25, 2020 - 05:21 PM EDT
California governor, big banks agree to 90-day mortgage grace period

BY J. EDWARD MORENO
TWEET SHARE EMAIL

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) announced Wednesday that major banks have agreed to a 90-day grace period for mortgage payments in the state.

During a Wednesday briefing, Newsom said more than 200 banks, including Wells Fargo, Citibank, JPMorgan Chase and U.S. Bank, agreed to the moratorium for homeowners.

"Families should not lose their homes because of COVID-19. Very pleased that Wells Fargo, Citi, JPMorgan, and US Bank have agreed to a 90 day grace period for mortgage payments for those impacted by #COVID19," he tweeted, calling it a "big sigh of relief for millions of CA families."

Newsom also said 4,305 hotel rooms across the state have been made available for the homeless in California via an emergency grant.

The state is also restricting intake into to the California prison system, focusing on isolating prisoners and not mixing prison populations.

Monday's briefing came less than a week after the governor called for a statewide stay-at-home order to combat the COVID-19 outbreak. Newsom said he wasn't confident the lockdown would end in early April, saying experts will make a more definitive move in the next six to eight weeks.

Newsom also announced California has distributed 24.5 million surgical masks and ordered 100 million more. He said California is "pulling its weight" when it comes to finding and purchasing the medical equipment needed.

The governor's announcement comes as the Senate mulls a $2 trillion stimulus bill.

Doggone it! I just paid the mortgage. You mean I could've held out?

Stormy

I was trying to see when this church sevice was but I couldn't find it. but dang I'm glad most church services that i know of have shut down. Churches generally have a lot of elderly people

Let's not redo the cluster in korea.

Smh knew that was coming. Stay safe and healthy ladies

I went home from work early bc I felt really nauseated. That's not a symptom I saw thankfully. So it may be stress or a stomach bug.

Yep, I figured it was coming too. Hope you feel better @brg240

Jmartjrmd

• This is so sad. that poor baby. It's so hard to read these stories but I feel like these people who have died deserve to be more than just a number in the death count. Also the ages and races in the US will hopefully wake some people up that it's not just old, sick people losing their lives. I'm still trying to convince some folks Corona is not a game.

• Diedre Wilkes was a mammogram technician at a hospital but was not working with COVID-19 patients, so it's unclear how she contracted the virus.

• Another Georgia healthcare worker also died from COVID-19.

• The deaths come as hospital workers across the US ask for more personal protective equipment as they treat an increasing number of cases.

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A Georgia mother was found to be infected with the coronavirus after she had died, NBC News reported.

Diedre Wilkes' was a mammogram technician at Piedmont Newnan Hospital. She died in her home last week and a posthumous coronavirus test came back positive, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Wilkes was 42 years old. She appears to have died 12 to 16 hours before her body was found in her home. Her four-year-old child was near her body when police found her.

Related Video: What COVID-19 Symptoms Look Like, Day by Day
An autopsy is being conducted but the mother did not have any known underlying health conditions. It's unclear when and where Wilkes contracted the virus, and Piedmont Newnan Hospital told NBC Wilkes was not treating any known or suspected COVID-19 cases.

The hospital told NBC it would contact patients and co-workers she might have come into contact with and give them "detailed information for self-monitoring and will offer COVID-19 testing to those who request it."

The AJC also reported another Georgia healthcare worker died from the disease. A 48-year-old woman who worked at Donalsonville Hospital in Georgia, died last Thursday at a hospital in Tallahassee, Florida.

Healthcare workers across the country are asking for more personal protective equipment as they treat a growing number of coronavirus patients. Some healthcare workers have resorted to reusing masks or using garbage bags as gowns amid the shortages, and some fear that shortage puts them at a higher risk of contracting and spreading the virus.

Cases of coronavirus infections have exceeded 69,000 in the United States, and more than 1,050 have died.

Jmartjrmd

Doggone it! I just paid the mortgage. You mean I could've held out?
I believe they just did this yesterday. But here is an official article for California residents from Ca.gov if it will help someone.
CA.gov
HomeShare via FacebookShare via TwitterShare via Instagram
Translate

Governor Gavin Newsom Announces Major Financial Relief Package: 90-Day Mortgage Payment Relief During COVID-19 Crisis

Published: Mar 25, 2020

Governor Newsom announces financial institutions will provide relief for vast majority of Californians

Californians economically impacted by COVID-19 may receive 90-day grace periods to make mortgage payments

Financial institutions agree not to negatively impact credit reports as a result of accepting payment relief

SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom today announced that financial institutions will provide major financial relief for millions of Californians suffering financially as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

“Millions of California families will be able to take a sigh of relief,” said Governor Newsom. “These new financial protections will provide relief to California families and serve as a model for the rest of the nation. I thank each of the financial institutions that will provide this relief to millions of Californians who have been hurt financially from COVID-19.”

Governor Newsom secured support from Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, U.S. Bank, and Wells Fargo and nearly 200 state-chartered banks, credit unions, and servicers to protect homeowners and consumers.

Under the Governor’s proposal, Californians who are struggling with the COVID-19 crisis may be eligible for the following relief upon contacting their financial institution:

90-Day Grace Period for Mortgage Payments

Financial institutions will offer, consistent with applicable guidelines, mortgage payment forbearances of up to 90 days to borrowers economically impacted by COVID-19. In addition, those institutions will:

• Provide borrowers a streamlined process to request a forbearance for COVID-19-related reasons, supported with available documentation;
  • Confirm approval of and terms of forbearance program; and
  • Provide borrowers the opportunity to request additional relief, as practicable, upon continued showing of hardship due to COVID-19.
No Negative Credit Impacts Resulting from Relief

Financial institutions will not report derogatory tradelines (e.g., late payments) to credit reporting agencies, consistent with applicable guidelines, for borrowers taking advantage of COVID-19-related relief.

Moratorium on Initiating Foreclosure Sales or Evictions

For at least 60 days, financial institutions will not initiate foreclosure sales or evictions, consistent with applicable guidelines.

Relief from Fees and Charges

For at least 90 days, financial institutions will waive or refund at least the following for customers who have requested assistance:

• Mortgage-related late fees; and
  • Other fees, including early CD withdrawals (subject to applicable federal regulations).
Click here for details on how to apply for relief. Loans held by a financial institution may be serviced by another company.

Please note that financial institutions and their servicers are experiencing high volumes of inquiries.

###

Governor Gavin Newsom Announces Major Financial Relief Package: 90-Day Mortgage Payment Relief During COVID-19 Crisis
Archives
Categories
Copyright © 2020 State of California

Powered by: CAWeb Publishing Service

Guapa1

My niece appears to be going through the crappy phase of this illness. Woke up yesterday unable to catch her breath due to mucous and incessant coughing. Ended up vomiting. Said she felt bad the night before and took a sleep aid. I asked her NOT to do that. It sounds dangerous to me to take a sleep aid with a condition that effects breathing.

She threw up a few times last night. But she’s up and hanging in there this morning. The NY health department said they cannot see her until next week for testing. Add a week to get results back and it’s safe to say she will be riding this thing out at home. That’s basically what they’re telling her.
Anyone spoken to @Guapa1 ?

Thank you for thinking of me @shelli4018 :kiss:

I had to plug out because my anxiety was going through the roof and was having panic attacks on top of coughing and breathlessness. A terrible combination. I've been reading totally mindless books and sleeping while taking medication you put in hot water for sore throats. My throat feels less sore and I'm only coughing when I try to talk. I think the medication helps because I ran out today and I can feel the raw pain in my throat starting up again. My neighbour is bringing me more tomorrow. I feel good lying down, but sitting up does leave me feeling breathless.
I'm so sorry to hear how your niece is feeling. Is she in an area to get tested? I was feeling exactly like this a few days ago with vomiting as well. Tell her to just try and rest as much as she can. I take sleeping pills and have been alright. I don't know if that helps ease your mind in any way.
My friend's DH is a nurse and he had a lecture at work (he's a nurse) from a retired infection control nurse who said that this thing hates heat so drink lots of hot fluids which ties in well with taking the powder medication for sore throats.
This is what I'm having and I think it's helping.

shelli4018

Thank you for thinking of me @shelli4018 :kiss:

I had to plug out because my anxiety was going through the roof and was having panic attacks on top of coughing and breathlessness. A terrible combination. I've been reading totally mindless books and sleeping while taking medication you put in hot water for sore throats. My throat feels less sore and I'm only coughing when I try to talk. I think the medication helps because I ran out today and I can feel the raw pain in my throat starting up again. My neighbour is bringing me more tomorrow. I feel good lying down, but sitting up does leave me feeling breathless.
I'm so sorry to hear how your niece is feeling. Is she in an area to get tested? I was feeling exactly like this a few days ago with vomiting as well. Tell her to just try and rest as much as she can. I take sleeping pills and have been alright. I don't know if that helps ease your mind in any way.
My friend's DH is a nurse and he had a lecture at work (he's a nurse) from a retired infection control nurse who said that this thing hates heat so drink lots of hot fluids which ties in well with taking the powder medication for sore throats.
This is what I'm having and I think it's helping.
Thanks! I found a similar product here and ordered it for her.

qchelle

[39yr old, no underlying health conditions. Is currently in a medically induced coma]
PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY TEACHER IN ICU; FAMILY AWAITS COVID-19 TEST RESULTS

by Glynis Kazanjian | Mar 26, 2020 | News | 0 |

Jason and Leslie Flanagan (Facebook)

1.6kShares

This article is republished with permission from the Baltimore Post-Examiner.

On the same day state officials ordered Maryland public schools closed four more weeks amid fear of spreading the coronavirus, a 39-year-old Prince George’s County high school teacher lays sedated in a hospital, hooked up to a ventilator, fighting for his life.

Jason Flanagan, a teacher at High Point High School and former freelance writer for the Baltimore Post-Examiner, was tested for COVID-19 six days ago, but his doctors and family members are still waiting for the results.

“I think of a difference a day makes,” his 35-year-old wife, Leslie Flanagan, said in a telephone interview. “I wished I had pushed him, I’m also thankful I didn’t wait that extra day.”

She said she was shocked at how abruptly his condition changed 10 days into the undetermined sickness. He was being treated at home, following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines carried out by her husband’s primary care physician.

Jason Flanagan

“I didn’t know how serious it was because of the directive we were given to just stay in,” Leslie Flanagan said. “At this point, I think they need to improve [guidelines] from here on out.”

A spokesperson from the Prince George’s County School system said once Flanagan’s case is confirmed for coronavirus, a letter will be sent out to parents and others.

“Once we are informed by the health department that any member of the PGCPS family has tested positive for COVID-19, we immediately notify those who are a part of that school network,” county media relations director Gabrielle Brown stated in an email Wednesday. “That includes parents and other stakeholders.”

Flanagan’s mother, who lives in South Carolina, expressed concern over school and community exposure due to a lack of test results.

“He’s a teacher,” Diane Flanagan McNinch said. “The people in High Point High School in Beltsville will have to know. He also did the grocery shopping for the house. Gosh knows how many people he had contact with. The virus can stay on the handle of a shopping cart.”

Flanagan’s symptoms began 12 days ago on March 14, a day after public schools in Maryland held their last day of school on campuses following a directive from Gov. Larry J. Hogan, Jr., due to the coronavirus.

His wife said it began with what are now familiar symptoms of the deadly virus – fatigue, fever and a small cough.

Flanagan’s fever fluctuated between 99 and 102 daily and his cough worsened over the days, but he didn’t experience problems with his breathing until Day 10. During that time, he had interacted with his physician twice — once in a telemedicine call and once in person, his wife said.

Some days they both thought he was getting better. Last Thursday he didn’t even wake up with a temperature.

“We thought we were going to kick this,” Leslie Flanagan said.

But on Monday, four days later, things changed for the worst. Flanagan started having shortness of breath – a telltale sign of COVID-19.

“He had flu-like symptoms for a week, wild temperature swings and we just thought, since he was in constant touch with his doctor, who was doing everything he could do, including giving him antibiotics, he wasn’t that bad,” Leslie Flanagan recalled. “It was only in the last couple of days he was having difficulty breathing, shortness of breath. He could still breathe, so we thought let’s keep an eye on it for a couple of days.”

It was the second day into his labored breathing that the couple decided to again contact a doctor. This time a chest x-ray was ordered.

The plan was to get the x-ray, wait a few hours for the results and then make a plan with the doctor.

“I figured they’d order some Prednisone, or something,” Leslie Flanagan said.

But by the time Flanagan got to the imaging facility, the technicians said his oxygen levels were too low to go back home. He needed to be admitted immediately to a hospital emergency room.

“It just became so severe so quickly,” Flanagan’s wife said. “I think that’s the really concerning part. I read the news and never thought it would touch our household. Jason has no underlying health conditions. He’s healthy.”

Now he is in a medically-induced coma, according to his mother, and he must stay on a ventilator for four days.

“In Charlotte, they’re doing the testing and turning around results in 24 to 48 hours,” said Flanagan McNinch, who’s self-quarantining for three weeks due to her own underlying heart and lung conditions. “Up there it’s six days. I don’t understand why so long.”

Flanagan McNinch said her son was taken by ambulance to Frederick Memorial Hospital where his condition is worsening. But she and Flanagan’s wife expect him to get worse before he gets better.

“He’s totally asleep, pain meds going in him and a machine is breathing for him,” she said. “Just the picture of that in my head, knowing I can’t see him, totally breaks my heart. When it hits so close to home, it’s devastating.”

As of Wednesday, Maryland health officials confirmed 423 cases of Coronavirus in the state and four deaths. Prince George’s County, where the state’s first COVID-19 death occurred, has 76 confirmed cases, the state’s second-highest number among counties and two of the deaths. The other deaths were in Montgomery and Baltimore Counties – all the recorded deaths involved people with underlying medical conditions.

The family doesn’t know if Flanagan is going to make it, but his wife has a message for the public.

“I’m not doing well, I’m losing it,” she said tearfully. “I’m not brave. I’m not courageous. He’s strong and healthy, but this horrible, horrible disease…it just tears people apart. It just tears families apart. I would rather be inconvenienced for months not to have just one day of this misery – my whole world, my husband, to suffer in this position.

“You have to take this seriously. Don’t shrug it off. Err on the side of caution. It’s important as a community we help each other and try to do our best to prevent the spread of it.”

UmSumayyah

I wandered into one of there stores maybe 10 years ago to look around because I didn't know what it was and haven't been back since so I only get to protest them in my head. :darkcloud:
I don't think we even have these in the DMV.

The Joann Fabrics is open. They have reduced hours, taped off the store for social distancing, implemented increased sanitizing measures and they offer order online, curbside delivery. I was in last week and the cashier told me lots of people were coming in to get materials to make masks.

Chromia

I hate that we are all going through this. All this unnecessary stress. I have to pick up a prescription tomorrow and had to take my husband to drop off and pick up his car today. I take all the precautions (hand washing, disinfecting, etc) but I still worry that I can catch it. Also, my father asked me to order some groceries online but the delivery dates are unavailable. I'm going to make sure that my daddy is taken care of so I'll just have to get the groceries and drop them at his house.
@SoniT, I feel the same way. I'm dreading having to go grocery shopping when we start to run low. And I have a post box at UPS that I only visit once every 10 days. My mail is just piling up.
There's A LOT of 30 somethings dying from this an even 40 somethings. That's very scary. I'm out here worrying about my 65 year old parents, and I could be next. I'm pretty stocked. But have to re-up on a few things. mostly produce. I'm trying to go the store 1x every week or 2
ugh..
Last week I was comfortable grocery shopping as long as I was one of the first customers in when they opened, but now I want to stay out of stores altogether.

I've started looking at the available dates & times for delivery and curbside pickup. All I have to say is that I'm glad that Instacart is planning to hire 300,000 more people.

Another stressor is the message on stores' websites for grocery orders, like "items are limited due to high demand but we'll try our best to fill your order". Being in a store and seeing that something is out of stock is different than getting an order and finding out that something is out of stock.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Ok. Let's go back to this story posted by @Jmartjrmd ...

Diedre Wilkes' was a mammogram technician at Piedmont Newnan Hospital. She died in her home last week and a posthumous coronavirus test came back positive, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Wilkes was 42 years old. She appears to have died 12 to 16 hours before her body was found in her home. Her four-year-old child was near her body when police found her.

So her symptoms changed from bad to death so quickly she didn't even have time to summon help? And she worked for a hospital? And she had a four year old baby???!!!