The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

ThirdEyeBeauty

Red flag. I'm confused. Something is not right. The CDC issued new guidance for essential workers exposed to coronavirus. As long as they are asymptomatic they can return to work but wear a mask. These are essential workers exposed to a positive case. They are to return to work rather than wait 14 days.

So why do we have the stay-at-home at place?

I need to dig deeper because that makes zero sense to me. Maybe someone else can explain it better to me.

momi

My brother could not taste or smell anything towards the end of last week and kept getting this numbing feeling "behind his eyes".. before that, he thought he had the flu.

He went to the hospital and took the Corona Virus test last Thursday and just got the result back today (Dr. Called).

Yall:
He tested positive for COVID19.

He is not feeling like any of the people I've been reading about (shortness of breath etc)..

Hes 36 and I just talked to him for an hour. He sounds fine.. he feels fine now.

The Dr. said he needs to self quarantine for 14 days. That's it. The Dr said since hes feeling "fine" if he wants to get retested in 72 hours that's an option.

My Dad is really concerned.

Honestly I think my Mom had COVID19 back in Feb when she was hospitalized (5 days) for pneumonia out of nowhere. She could not breathe.

I am really confused by all of this.

I’m glad to hear your brother is doing fine. How long was he feeling the initial symptoms? Is his vision back to normal?

MzRhonda

Red flag. I'm confused. Something is not right. The CDC issued new guidance for essential workers exposed to coronavirus. As long as they are asymptomatic they can return to work but wear a mask. These are essential workers exposed to a positive case. They are to return to work rather than wait 14 days.

I need to dig deeper because that makes zero sense to me. Maybe someone else can explain it better to me.
One word trump

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I’m glad to hear your brother is doing fine. How long was he feeling the initial symptoms? Is his vision back to normal?

His vision is fine now.
He thought he was coming down with the flu the week before last.

Then the early part of last week <Tuesday> he was really fatigued and started having the "numbing feeling" behind his eyes and & said his taste/ smell was faint.

Then last Thursday went to the Dr.

So about a week.

shelli4018

Do you mean frontline health workers? If they’re working with Covid patients I believe they’re allowing them to come to work. Why? Shortage of qualified healthcare professionals.

shelli4018

As far as conspiracies go....I don’t really buy any of them since there’s little to no proof offered. But I am worried about opportunists using this pandemic to effect the upcoming US election. I’m concerned that vulnerable populations will be left to suffer. We can’t address these things if we’re distracted.

Isn’t it amazing how suspicious we all are? For good reason too.

ThirdEyeBeauty

Do you mean frontline health workers? If they’re working with Covid patients I believe they’re allowing them to come to work. Why? Shortage of qualified healthcare professionals.
I think the article said any worker including food workers and healthcare workers. I don't understand if they (essential workers) were exposed can now return sooner than original 14 days if they are asymptomatic but we are NOT exposed must stay away. Yet they are the one handling food or caring for the sick.

I would rather someone not exposed to do those things.

As far as heathcare workers concerned, I know for some there are now volunteers and agencies filling some of the void.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn

Personal opinion from an overworked nurse

I've mentioned various times throughout the thread about my anger and frustration with the US government and supposed institutions of authority for failing us citizens. The main reason is that we previously did have some infrastructure, funding, and supplies for this very event but due to Cheeto's idiocy, racism, and ego, all of it's gone. From him disbanding the pandemic committee and cutting CDC funding under the assumption he could just summon them back when he needs them, we've been screwed from the start.

Me and my dad were talking a few weeks back about the NBA players who were positive even though they shouldn't have been based on the then current data. My dad was mentioning how some of those guys were putting up near career number and some of them were the reason their team was in the playoff hunt. And even after the NBA shut down, he checked their SM and most never showed any symptoms, especially not the easily diagnosable ones. No fevers, no cough, barely any sniffles. And this was before the new symptoms being associated with a positive diagnosis. It was then that we both surmised that the reason this started/is spreading so quickly is that there are TONS of people who are probably asymptomatic vectors.

Even though it's not 100% their fault, the CDC can't go back now and say BTW, we were wrong about everything. That's why they keep changing the recommendations for the general public vs essential works. Perhaps they knew, long before now, that the US healthcare system wasn't adequately stocked with PPE but they didn't have the authority to say 'if you're not a healthcare worker/facility, you can't buy any right now'. Now healthcare facilities are having to scramble and compete for one box of mask or gowns that's going to be delivered late and only last 5 days. But they can't order again for another 2 weeks. Partly because suppliers legitimately don't have the stock, but also because of capitalism. If you knew you were the only place with the demanded goods and are therefore automatically guaranteed to sell it all, would you rush to sell everything at a fair price? Especially since you know they are going to come back.

At this point, unfortunately, most essential workers probably fall into the asymptomatic vector category. And the CDC knows this. They can't officially come out and say this (and I have no official articles or documents) but evidence is pointing to this conclusion. Most have never had the proper PPE (if they were even offered any) or are having to reuse it which basically makes it not PPE. And given how long it takes for a positive test result to return, having the worker be out while they're waiting, and then even longer if they get a positive test and require treatment is unfathomable for most companies. That's at least 3 weeks per employee. And they likely wouldn't test everyone in the same day so the 3 weeks would be rolling.

By sheltering in place, this supposedly reduces the risk of an essential worker transmitting it via direct contact. Since they're still saying it's transmitted by droplets, if you aren't in close physical proximity, they can't infect you. Yes, they can leave droplets on items they touch, but if you're at home, you won't be touching it after them so you're safe. Plus, it's easier for you to disinfect your items yourself than it is for the 'authorities' to admit they were wrong.

One word trump

I've been trying to find the silver linings in things regarding this but Cheeto gets very little slack from me. If he's not responsible for 100% of this, he's responsible for at least 99.85%.

Leeda.the.Paladin

This has got to be the most terrible thing I’ve read today. And I want to know more of the story, especially the woman who did the pushing.

86-year-old who broke social distancing space in ER and grabbed IV pole died after being shoved, police say
By Rob Frehse and Ganesh Setty, CNN

Updated 1:30 PM ET, Thu April 9, 2020

The Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center in Brooklyn is where an 86-year-old woman with dementia died.
(CNN)An 86-year-old woman who broke coronavirus social distancing guidelines and grabbed onto another patient's IV pole in the emergency room was shoved, fell to the floor, hit her head and later died, according to a report from the New York City Police Department.

Janie Marshall, broke the recommended six-foot space between herself and patient Cassandra Lundy, 32, when she grabbed Lundy's IV pole to get her balance at the Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center in Brooklyn on March 28.

Long-term social distancing may be traumatic. Here is what to expect and what to do

A family member told CNN that Marshall had dementia.
Lundy was arrested and charged with manslaughter and assault on April 2, the NYPD said.

Lundy faces charges of manslaughter in the first and second degree, assault in the second degree, and criminally negligent homicide, according to the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office.

Janie Marshall
CNN has been unable to identify an attorney for Lundy.
In a statement to CNN, Woodhull Hospital said they are working with the NYPD on the investigation.
"We are terribly saddened by this death. We are committed to ensuring a safe, health-focused environment in these very demanding times so our heroic health care workers can continue to deliver the quality, compassionate care New Yorkers need more than ever," the hospital said in a statement.
Antoinette Leonard-Jean Charles, Marshall's grandniece, told CNN that Marshall had been admitted to the ER on March 27 after experiencing stomach pains related to a bowel obstruction. She said the hospital has not been communicative in providing details on how Marshall died. Instead, she has been relying on local news reports to get more information on the altercation.

New York City reports a record 800-plus coronavirus deaths in one day

The hospital had cited the health privacy law HIPAA as to why they could not give more information, even though her mother and Marshall's niece, Eleanor Leonard, was listed as her next of kin, Charles said.
The hospital told CNN it was unable to release further information.
Though Charles only knows as much as what's in the police report, she speculated that because Marshall had dementia, she may not have understood her surroundings, so she wandered around, eventually running into Lundy amid the chaos of the ER that day.
Marshall, born in 1934 and the youngest of 12 children, was "one of the sweetest, friendliest women you could ever meet," said Charles. According to her obituary, Marshall worked for the Social Security Administration and was one of the first African American women to receive a Commissioner Citation, the agency's highest award.
Marshall "never wanted to be anybody's victim," she added, which was perhaps the hardest part of learning of her death -- that the family wasn't there and Marshall was ultimately a victim of circumstances in being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
As the hospitals in New York City and across the country grapple with surging coronavirus-related hospitalizations, Charles stressed that violence in uncertain times will never change anything.
One fearful action could lead to serious, unintended consequences, she said.
"Violence is not going to change anything."

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Where can I find plain bleach? Sold out everywhere... I only have scented for my laundry....

Have you tried office supply stores or commercial cleaning supply stores online? One thing I am learning is to check commercial avenues of purchase for items since most of it would be in stock and can't be used right now since a good amount of businesses are closed.