The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Kalia1

I’m not sure if this was posted..MINDBLOWING!

ETA: Although this seems plausible. Do any of you think it’s true. I’m going to research more into this. Or is this just a conspiracy theory?!?

Last edited:

Lute

I'm surprised they media haven't put Ivanka Trumps name on blast.. She did break the stay at home order for Passover
Somewhere in the ne and I think California samples were taken that indicate many more have had covid.

If confirmed it means that it's less deadly than thought

"less deadly" is subjective. The fact it can spread that quickly is a problem.

dicapr

Somewhere in the ne and I think California samples were taken that indicate many more have had covid.

If confirmed it means that it's less deadly than thought

Everyone hopes that that is indeed the case. However there are 2 huge question marks.

One is that one antibody test on the market is only accurate 64% of the time and detects any corona virus antibody which means you could test positive for immunity with a cold. Until we figure out how accurate these antibody test are you could have almost a 40% chance of getting a false positive or negative.

Second issue is that they still don’t know at what antibody level you have immunity and how long that immunity last. Until then everyone would be smart to wash their hands, wear a mask, and make infrequent trips out to do their business.

I know we can’t stay locked down forever but it’s alarming how many people think that they can just go back to business as usual. Until we stop guessing it’s best to be careful.

ThirdEyeBeauty

One is that one antibody test on the market is only accurate 64% of the time and detects any corona virus antibody which means you could test positive for immunity with a cold. Until we figure out how accurate these antibody test are you could have almost a 40% chance of getting a false positive or negative.
Hmmm

Dellas

Last edited:

Chrismiss

dicapr

The FDA is basically letting companies put anything on the market right now. No one really knows how trust worthy these newly developed test are. Hopefully we are beginning to develop herd immunity but I wouldn’t rely on a rapid newly developed test to tell me to let my guard down.

Usually lab test have to demonstrate specificity and sensitivity. They have to have a high percentage of detecting positive results and a level of accuracy in making sure positive results/negative results are actually correct. What seems to be happening is we have highly sensitive test-ie good at getting positive results but low specificity-all the positive results are not true positive. If you call everything positive you get high sensitivity ie all positive samples are captured. However you would have low specificity because the positive results are not specific to positive samples.

But because we desperately need testing the normal validation process is being waved.

Last edited:

nycutiepie

If you want one be prepared to wait. I ordered one on Amazon and it took almost a month to arrive.

Also, my mom ordered thermometers and they are taking a full month to arrive.

Anything you think you want, order now.
Can you post a pic of what you ordered please? I’m gonna get in line to get one.

Black Ambrosia

Can you post a pic of what you ordered please? I’m gonna get in line to get one.

It's not available but I'm sure there are others.

Jmartjrmd

This doctor in the NYtimes says that you should use a pulse oximeter because sometimes people feel fine but have low levels of oxygen and then don’t go to the hospital until it is too late.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/...-pneumonia.html#click=https://t.co/cpoVXHkIbi

Yes I agree especially since they know this virus can bind to recptors that hemoglobin normally binds to oxygen with. Fortunately or unfortunately I can tell when my oxygen levels are low thanks to my experience with ARDS.
I've said a few times in this thread but I'll say again in case it can help someone but if you have a Samsung phone you can measure your sats on it and it is accurate.
I use mine all the time and I have 2 portable ones from when I was sick and needed home oxygen 24/7.
This was last year but you can see my sats were into the 70s and 80s unable to get above 87. I got admitted the next day.Screenshot_20200421-193424_Samsung Health.jpg

Last edited:

nycutiepie

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I appreciate you posting this, but I don't know where this option is unless it's only on the $900+ Samsung phones. I have a Samsung phone, tablet, and watch and it does not include an oxygen measurement. It doesn't even show as an option in Samsung Health. Stress does, but no O2.
Yes I agree especially since they know this virus can bind to recptors that hemoglobin normally binds to oxygen with. Fortunately or unfortunately I can tell when my oxygen levels are low thanks to my experience with ARDS.
I've said a few times in this thread but I'll say again in case it can help someone but if you have a Samsung phone you can measure your sats on it and it is accurate.
I use mine all the time and I have 2 portable ones from when I was sick and needed home oxygen 24/7.
This was last year but you can see my sats were into the 70s and 80s unable to get above 87. I got admitted the next day.View attachment 458375

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
From CNN on the topic of issues with tests:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/21/health/abbott-laboratories-coronavirus-rapid-test/index.html

Abbott's rapid tests can produce false negatives under certain conditions, the company says

The maker of a rapid coronavirus test widely used across the United States and distributed by the federal government has warned that its device can produce false negatives if a special solution is used to move or store patients' samples.

Abbott Laboratories instructed health care providers last week not to use solutions known as "viral transport media" for samples tested on its ID NOW device, which runs one test at a time and can detect positive coronavirus cases in as little as five minutes and spit out negative results in 13 minutes.
The company says customers should instead only place swabs with patient samples directly in the device. When that method is used, the test performs as "expected," an Abbott spokesperson said, adding that when the company learned about the issue it immediately notified its customers and the US Food and Drug Administration.

States finally have high-speed machines to detect Covid-19 -- but few tests to run on them

Abbott has promoted the ID NOW test as a "point-of-care" test, meaning doctor's offices or clinics can collect samples from patients using swabs and quickly test the samples without having to transport them to specialized labs.
Because the machine processes only one test at a time, labs might have used the transport media to store the test samples until they can be processed. Abbott's information on the test initially filed with the FDA listed a number of transport media that could be used with the test.
Clinical pathologists and lab scientists at the Cleveland Clinic said the Abbott system has produced higher false negatives than other devices they tested.
They processed more than 200 samples of Covid-19 using five testing systems and found that ID NOW detected the virus in only 84.4% of the specimens, a spokesperson for the Ohio-based medical center told CNN.
ID NOW and another test had higher false negative rates than the other devices assessed, the spokesperson said. NPR first reported about the assessment on Tuesday.
The Cleveland Clinic spokesperson told CNN that a dilution effect can occur whenever a sample swab is placed into viral transport media, but she added that in the assessment, "all tests were performed from the same viral transport media, so it was a true head-to-head comparison."
The guidance from Abbott Laboratories comes more than two weeks after President Donald Trump said in a Rose Garden news conference that the company's rapid coronavirus test would be "a whole new ballgame" in expanding testing for the disease.
Many hospitals, clinics and CVS testing sites across the country have been able to use the rapid tests from Abbott.
The federal government has purchased devices for every state and Assistant Secretary for Health Brett Giroir said last week that tens of thousands more tests would be distributed among the state labs most in need.
New York's Northwell Health Labs, a private lab system serving hospitals in the state, has been using the Abbott test "in conjunction with" viral transport media.
A spokesperson told CNN, "We work closely with all of our vendors to ensure the best possible clinical outcomes. We're constantly evaluating our process throughout this crisis, which as you know, is a dynamic and fluid situation."
MedStar Health, a private hospital system with locations in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC, has avoided using viral transport media for the rapid tests.
"Our lab teams have conducted extensive testing on the kits and we believe them to be accurate," said Marianne Worley, a MedStar Health spokeswoman.
Nearly a month after Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan negotiated a deal to get five testing devices and 5,000 tests, a spokesperson for the mayor said local health officials have not been using viral transport media for samples tested on that system.
"We put them directly into the Abbott machine and do not transport them in medium," the spokesperson said.
Dave Koch, a professor of pathology and laboratory medicine at Emory University, said it's a "remarkable achievement" that Covid-19 tests have been delivered to the market very quickly but he said that means many of the typical validation experiments have not been completed.
"Thus, the test results may be influenced by something as simple as the viral transport media. That problem seems to have been identified, but other problems may arise, so caution is advised," Koch said.

Jmartjrmd

Screenshot_20200421-223005_Samsung Health.jpg
I appreciate you posting this, but I don't know where this option is unless it's only on the $900+ Samsung phones. I have a Samsung phone, tablet, and watch and it does not include an oxygen measurement. It doesn't even show as an option in Samsung Health. Stress does, but no O2.
I have the note 8. it is under Samsung health. if you dont see it click the 3 dots then under manage items go down the list it should be there. You might have to turn it on.

ETA: stress gives you your heartrate and the o2 sat. Here's on I just did

Screenshot_20200421-224009_Samsung Health.jpg

Make sure your wave looks even..should look like this to get a good reading

Screenshot_20200421-223946_Samsung Health.jpg

Last edited: