The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Lute

@vevster
The IG post hurt my heart. I couldn't finish listening to it. I had a feeling that this could happen and I heard that something similar that happened in Italy and in China. The Nurses and Doctors NYHS were put in an impossible situation, which could all have been prevented.

I hope after this pass. Instead of the government investing their money into war, they need to invest it into Health and Hospitals.

@shelli4018 Alot of the doctors and nurses in other parts of the world, were thinking about this too.

ThirdEyeBeauty

I live in France, in an apartment. The country is on lock down. You have to have a signed, dated paper showing where you live, where you are going , what day it is and when you leave your house. You have a set amount of time to go shopping, see a doctor. Although I can go out daily, I must have a completed paper to do so.

More importantly, if one is greatly deficient in vitamin D, it is not enough to go outside to get your levels up. I was given a doctor's prescription the last time to get bring my levels up.
Oh my. That seems horrible! Getting permission that is.

Lute

More importantly, if one is greatly deficient in vitamin D, it is not enough to go outside to get your levels up. I was given a doctor's prescription the last time to get bring my levels up.

I remember, asking my doctor if the Sun helps you create vitamin d. Wouldn't tanning booths be useful. My doctor, responded "I wish, it doesn't and it causes more harm than good".
I wonder, if the people who have dark complexions that live in very sunny areas suffer from Vitamin D.

shelli4018

@vevster
The IG post hurt my heart. I couldn't finish listening to it. I had a feeling that this could happen and I heard that something similar that happened in Italy and in China. The Nurses and Doctors NYHS were put in an impossible situation, which could all have been prevented.

I hope after this pass. Instead of the government investing their money into war, they need to invest it into Health and Hospitals.

@shelli4018 Alot of the doctors and nurses in other parts of the world, were thinking about this too.
There’s so much we don’t know about this virus. Focus on reducing co-morbidity seems like a good use of time though.

Gov. Cuomo just mentioned 32% of Latinos tested positive for Covid in NYC. I’m assuming he’s referring to the sample mentioned a few days ago where they were looking for folk with antibodies.

Ganjababy

They can but its not common because of year round sunshine unlike colder countries with less sun in the winter
I remember, asking my doctor if the Sun helps you create vitamin d. Wouldn't tanning booths be useful. My doctor, responded "I wish, it doesn't and it causes more harm than good".
I wonder, if the people who have dark complexions that live in very sunny areas suffer from Vitamin D.

Darker skin people who live in cold countries with less sun during winter need vitamin d supplementation. Sitting out in the sun is not enough. In the the UK vutamin d supplementation is part of the public health initiative for black and mixed children.

Kanky

UmSumayyah

Most of the outlets reporting the Cuomo story are right wing. However the Daily Beast reported a confrontation between Chris and a neighbor around Easter. Some guy taunted Cuomo while he was standing in his yard. That’s it. That’s the controversy.

Chris has a wife and 17 year old daughter. I assume those are the two women you’re referring to.

naturalgyrl5199

Medical doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, respiratory therapists, paramedics, medical technologists, medical researchers, dentists, and others, what are your opinion about all that is going on?

Viruses are part of the human experience and always will be. Same for plagues, illnesses, etc. History has always shown when civilizations expand, or cities get larger, they manage to wipe itself out or implode or be diminished just because they are living in close proximity. The Mayans, Aztecs, Bubonic Plague, even Leprosy in the Levant. Nothing new is under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9

There WAS an infrastructure pre-Obama, that we can track to the G.H.W Bush days. He is the reason why Incident Command system for Emerging Pandemics, Natural and unnatural Disasters, and FEMA courses for Public Health and Medical Staff exist. GW. Bush, Clinton (especially Clinton) and Obama built on it and left a beautiful framework....all Trump had to do was respond and run with it. (Because of the above scripture....the blueprint has already been made---over and over again)

Because Republicans today aren't the Republicans of the Bush era, and in the throes of a power grab that was crafted slowly by some of the biggest minds that you'll never hear of (not the Illuminati, not the Rothschilds, etc), we will be back to feudalism run by an Oligarchy instead. Because Republicans of the Bush era wanted Balance, no blood in the streets and they didn't want to be associated with massive poverty, illness (research the millions GW Bush threw into AIDS and pregnancy in Africa) and blood in the streets, they threw money in the form of little bones to the populace. The Trump era republicans are not hiding their hands...they are using their Power to keep the people off the Government. We are currently in a No-Win situation (open the economy or not but ppl will starve if not, but its not safe and on and on again) because of the system that allowed this to happen. Including lack of participating with voting (cause they convinced us our vote didn't count---something they wanted and has worked). The reason Trump has and continues to get away with something that the republians of the past wouldn't tolerate is because their plan is almost complete. They want to leave all the resources to those in power (certain gov't officials, the top 0.1%---no the actual 1%--too big), and they are not caring if people have no food stamps, pension, retirement, social security, medicare, etc...If you are out on the streets, its your fault bc you didn't plan.
Playing THEIR GAME....by 1) not depeding on the govt, setting your kids up to OWN not be employed by someone, protecting yourself at all cost is the name of the game. Sounds myopic...but I want everyone's eyes open.
That's my opinion....

These type of forums and discussions are critical. No need to take chances and I love that everyone here is pretty like-minded about the risks of this disease. Those who doubt are really playing into their hands....

And this MAY be man-made....it doesn't matter. It could be a happy accident that they are capitalizing on. Still have to be wise and protect yourself and family.

naturalgyrl5199

New York City hospitals cancel temporary workers as coronavirus cases stabilize
Deena Beasley
Kristina Cooke
Published: Apr 15 at 12:25 p.m.
SUBSCRIBE | LOG IN

By Deena Beasley and Kristina Cooke

(Reuters) - Staffing agencies, which have deployed thousands of healthcare workers in recent weeks to jobs at hospitals in New York City and other areas hit hard by the coronavirus, say some of those temporary workers are no longer needed.

The trend, coupled with a flattening in the number of New Yorkers hospitalized with coronavirus infection, reinforces the sense that New York may have reached the peak of the health crisis.

"We have had to reassign some of our travelers who were going to New York," San Diego-based staffing firm Aya Healthcare said in an emailed statement.

Demand for "travel nurses" jumped during March and early April in cities like New Orleans, and especially New York, which saw the nation's largest spike in cases of COVID-19, the deadly respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

But New York, which ramped up its hospital bed capacity to around 90,000, has had only about 18,000 patients hospitalized for the past several days.

"We are seeing contracts in New York get cancelled," Lindsey Scott, a spokeswoman for staffing agency Trusted Health, said in an email. "The hospitals in New York hired a ton of travelers as the crisis started to ramp up, and then either had more nurses than they needed, or in some cases, more than they could ingest into the system."

She said Trusted Health had "multiple nurses who left their families and in some cases full-time jobs," to travel to New York, only to find that they were no longer needed.

Karla Guerra, 27, an emergency room nurse from Arizona, said her contract at New York's Mount Sinai hospital system was abruptly canceled on Monday, the day she completed her onsite orientation. She had expected to earn $32,000 for eight weeks' work.

Now, she is $3,000 out of pocket for her travel and first month's rent, and is trying to find a new contract as soon as possible.

"Every day I am here I am losing money," she said. "It's disappointing because I came out here with the intention to help but unfortunately things didn’t pan out."

Mount Sinai did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Northwell Health, a 23-hospital system in New York, said it was still hiring temporary nurses, and planned to bring in about 100 next week.

Trusted Health said it was doing everything it could to redeploy canceled nurses to new contracts, particularly if they are willing to go to another state like Michigan, where job openings have surged.

CALL FOR HELP

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo called last month for medical workers across the country to come to New York and help out in caring for the growing numbers of COVID-19 patients.

To date, around 93,000 medical professionals have signed up through New York's online volunteer portal, some 81,000 have had their credentials vetted and about 12,000 have been referred to hospitals, according to Cuomo spokesman Jason Conwall.

Those efforts are separate from the short-term employment contracts facilitated by agencies like Aya and Trusted Health, which routinely operate to provide hospitals with licensed professionals to fill short-term staffing needs.

Cuomo said on Tuesday the total number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in the state fell for the first time since the onset of the outbreak, a sign the state at the epicenter may be at the peak of its crisis.

He said that a total of 18,697 people were hospitalized across New York, down from 18,825 a day earlier and the first tick lower since the crisis began.

U.S. deaths from the virus topped 25,300 on Tuesday, doubling in one week, according to a Reuters tally. So far this week, deaths have increased by about 7% per day on average compared with 14% last week and 30% many days in March. Cases this week are up an average of 5% per day compared with 7.8% last week and 30% per day in March.

In March, many U.S. hospitals were looking to augment their staff in preparation for a surge of coronavirus patients at the same time some healthcare workers were having to be quarantined after being exposed to the virus.

Trusted Health said at that time that nurses were being offered contracts at nearly double their typical pay rates.

(Reporting by Deena Beasley and Kristina Cooke; Editing by Lincoln Feast and Peter

They will soon find work when these small areas finally surge. Florida is surging in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Area, and in North FL we are seeing a few sick people (I had my first very VERY sick COVID+ mom come through who had been to ICU) here and there, and have scouted a place to make a field hospital.

Also---This is exactly how we are taught in an Incident Command System....there is a ramping up, plan, expand, and then ramp down resources. The plan is to NOT have to call in resources for months and months on end. So its normal to see the extra resources called in suddenly not needed for now. When you need extra resources for months and months on end, its a sign we consider apocalyptic. Because there is no break...just constant work...and that's not ideal... Now she can pull back and rest a bit or find work elsewhere....she will also likely be needed in NYC come fall/winter for the 2nd wave.

Kanky

Right? I started questioning stuff when i read first hand accounts of people being damn near dead but unable to be admitted to a hospital unless they needed intubation AND THEY REPORTED THESE CASES AS MILD. just cause they didnt need to be admitted. Now people who dont need to be admitted are having strokes? Is this still considered mild?

Now scarface and others are on dialysis after they thought they were in the clear. What kind of ****ing virus is this? I dont want no parts of this virus. Im introverted and am perfectly fine with staying home.
They count anything short of ending up in the ICU on a vent as mild. The hospitals were turning away people without breathing difficulties and some these people are dying of strokes and heart attacks from the blood clots later. They still don’t know much about this virus and the side effects and they have yet to figure out any effective treatment.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...w-the-coronavirus-is-killing-us.html#comments

naturalgyrl5199

At this point in the game testing positive means nothing to me. Amazon warehouse is fine. Media is absolutely winning. If I could go in the future and read this history in the making...

I expected at 6 weeks in, that we would have some powerful information by now. Every thing is on repeat. Even the death toll is highly inflated. Since heathcare industy is including nearly anyone who died in the last six weeks as C19 flu, I will give my own random number that only about 500 died of true complications of this flu. How about that!
Nah----Its POSSIBLY inflated as far as the CAUSE of death...But ppl are dying of SOMETHING related to COVID-19 that wouldn't have caused them to die otherwise. The morgues, fridge trucks aren't spiked with a bunch of people dead of diabetes and blood pressure and heart issues alone. We fix that ALL THE TIME. They are not testing every single person sick in the hospital for the sake of confirmation because there isn't always a need. Funeral homes everywhere are absolutely swamped. In most areas. The fact that the funeral homes can't work fast enough is a sign of the situation.

Plus---and here is the sad part...these people are somehow dying SO QUICK after symptoms. They are literally admitted, in the ICU within 2-4 days and dead a day or so after. In many cases, it takes longer to get the test back. Many COVID+ diagnoses are coming post-mortem. And that's pretty much the standard right now. We have nothing because there is NO precedence. Its really important for us all to have as much patience as possible with the information. There legit isn't much. And it really sucks. For me...I know enough to go to work, come home and lay low. Its really all I need. I don't need to know anything else. Diminishing availability of Body bags and fridge truck contracts through the roof of bodies on top of bodies is enough.
But I totally get it.

naturalgyrl5199

This made me think of something. People like 45 mentioning these things to possibly "thin the herd". People get desperate and think to use Lysol, Clorox, Dettol, quick-made vaccine, etc to speed up illness and death (I suppose).

At this point, is the stay-in-place still to help the hospital not become overwhelmed or to delay illness until the Fall? Are people worried about dying or just going outside with people?

Yep. You got it. AND to slow down spread. We only know that spread is limited based on the number of cases and hospitalizations and death rate based on confirmations and/or symptoms. The problem is the lack of testing available. I believe more people are carriers than we know. Assuming more carriers are asymptomatic...it makes sense to keep them home or masked up, and social distance.

The hospitals have a finite amount of resources on any given 12-hour period. Its a balance though bc people are really scared and are trying to do the right thing with social distancing to reduce spread as well. The balance is keeping your eyes open and paying attention in the event you get sick. Quarantine, track symptoms, etc. But you have to be in your right mind to track all that and then pull the trigger on getting to the hospital in time.

naturalgyrl5199

Media needs to talk more about improving immune system. Most people are not going to the hospital. Remember this was the "first" time we were exposed and hospitals were already sending home people who presented with sickness significant for them to want to go to the hospital in the first place. Now that we are learning more, we know the immune system is key. Vaccines :look:, I'll pass. If I had a choice, I'll take my chances with this virus itself. Now if the illness was worse than presented then I would rethink that but this thing I *almost* want to say is weaker than the flu. I don't care if it is more contagious, it still seems weaker. Speaking of the "regular" flu, the media can gave me some comparable statistics please so that I can definitely say that. I like to read up about those people with "regular" flu in the hospital. Got any of those people?
How is it weaker than the flu? When flu season comes around, we are not contracting nurses from out of state and fridge trucks to handle the bodies because the morgues have no room. Its definitely not weaker than the flu by any means. Yes more people survive COVID than die from it. But the percentage of deaths against the entire death rate and why people die every day is keeping funeral home directors awake 24/7. Just some context. My friend is a heart doctor and crunched the numbers. But the clues are everywhere.

Flu is tracked regularly because it does kill. CDC keeps good track of it. During flu season your local county health department may have stats posted. It varies by state. We had 30 people die in my county alone of flu and pneumonia (the latter is weird and what i now think is COVID) and that had our staff at the Health Dept in a tizzy. Usually by county, you have maybe 2-3 ppl die per season. Maybe 20-30 hospitalizations within a 2-3 month period...maybe 200-300 or so confirmed Flu tests in MD offices and clinics....per county. Not to mention probably 1000 or so calls to MD reporting SYMPTOMS of flu that are on the down slope by the time the person calls the doc...which is good bc they got through the worst of it...and survived. They just feel bad. And that's PER COUNTY. Remember...the US has 360,000,000 Souls walking around in this country. By the 30th we'll be at almost 0.3% of the country. WE have almost 34,000 confirmed death by flu complications from the 2018-2019 season and counting. It was like 61,000 deaths for the 2017/18 season.

Right now, from March to April, COVID+ has believed to have killed almost 50K. We haven't even surged in small areas. We are still waiting...its going to be a LONG SUMMER and rest of 2020.

naturalgyrl5199

My problem is that this virus has literally crippled us to give up our life when most people are not at risk of losing their life as a direct effect of getting the virus. There are many more viruses that did not crippled us but somehow this one did. Does not make sense to me from what I know. No one wants to hear that though. People who at risk should take precautions yes. Also businesses should say anyone with uncontrollable cough, sneeze, fever, or sore throat should not come in or at least wear a mask. Don't discriminate for just this virus.
I need you to think farther.
Also---many people have been studying viruses as their life's work. Studying populations, epigenetics, virology, epidemiology and they will tell you this was legit...Viruses of this magnitude are right on time (every 100 years or so)and was predicted. I know it doesn't make sense to you but it makes sense to A LOT OF US. Especially in Public health.

The "thinking beyond" part is the part you said about crippling. That's 100% political and crafted. We are crippled because politics slowly underhanded the people to remove their rights, their ability to have recourse, and to address public needs. You wonder how Flint happened? Follow the money....AND follow the legislature and the laws that passed. Appointed rather than Elected Officials, no accountability...increase in healthcare about 1000-fold since the 80s, can't sue---only arbitrate....In Florida-my State Rick Scott (Governors have UNMITIGATED POWER) cut the Health Department (no restaurants here are graded anymore---its all voluntary) and over 1000 people lost jobs. No one bat an eye. He rolled back Unemployment so much and made people think its not needed...now people cant even apply. We were crippled into this No-Win situation because people don't think voting matters. Why are conservatives throwing money into JUDICIAL RACES (Ahem--WISCONSIN 2 weeks ago!) When you have conservatives (in 1980) having secret meetings saying "we don't want everyone to vote...because it removes our leverage...to have power over the people---acknowledging that the higher turnout is, the more likely a non-conservative will win (Cough....OBAMA)....you ought to be more riled about that.....not a natural occurrence in nature and we gave the baton to idiots to deal with, while the smart ones warned us after the AIDS epidemic hit....when it hit, medical staff were scrambling the same---just slightly smaller scale. History repeats itself if you are paying attention. Ecclesiastes 1:9.

shelli4018

Yep. You got it. AND to slow down spread. We only know that spread is limited based on the number of cases and hospitalizations and death rate based on confirmations and/or symptoms. The problem is the lack of testing available. I believe more people are carriers than we know. Assuming more carriers are asymptomatic...it makes sense to keep them home or masked up, and social distance.

The hospitals have a finite amount of resources on any given 12-hour period. Its a balance though bc people are really scared and are trying to do the right thing with social distancing to reduce spread as well. The balance is keeping your eyes open and paying attention in the event you get sick. Quarantine, track symptoms, etc. But you have to be in your right mind to track all that and then pull the trigger on getting to the hospital in time.
I think the administration has/is invested in herd immunity. They’re ok with everyone getting the virus. Just not at the same time. Unfortunately herd immunity may be a pipe dream since there’s no evidence exposure protects us from re-infection. Boris Johnson was on the herd immunity bandwagon until he got sick.

vevster

.... and now for some great news!
My cousin and her husband that were stricken with covid well the husband had been on a vent for weeks needed a tracheotomy --- Well, he is off the vent, out of ICU and yesterday opened his eyes!

I thought he was not going to make it. A friend of theirs, younger even, was on a vent for 7 days then died.

brg240

I just saw that gospel artist Troy Sneed passed away :(

There is going to be a protest (within cars) at one of the meat processing plants here in VA. Keeping those places open without extensive testing is so dangerous :(

Accomack County has seen a surge in COVID-19 cases, up to 195 total as of Monday, April 27, including 143 new cases reported in the last week alone, a 275% increase compared to last Monday’s total of 52.

That’s the highest total increase in a week for any locality in the Tidewater region, including the seven Hampton Roads cities.

Accomack (population of roughly 32,000) is ranked 4th in Virginia in cases per 100,000 people, according to Virginia Department of Health data, with 602 per 100K. Harrisonburg, Virginia, another poultry hotbed in Virginia, is ranked 2nd with 709 per 100K.

Everything Zen

Just found out a former coworker passed away of Covid. It made the news that she and her sister died at home. Older black lady that looked out for me and helped me jump through the the loops and nuances of opening cooperative group NCI oncology trials for my program. She was always like hey baby! What chu need? Always so positive and bubbly... You know the type that you add a Miss to their name for the respect. This one hurts :cry:

Last edited:

Jmartjrmd

Top ER doc commits suicide

New York City emergency room doctor who was on the “front lines” of the fight against the coronavirus has died by suicide, police said Monday.

Dr. Lorna Breen, 49, who worked at New York-Presbyterian Allen Hospital, was in Virginia when she died on Sunday, said Tyler Hawn, a spokesman for the Charlottesville Police Department.

“The victim was taken to U.V.A. Hospital for treatment, but later succumbed to self-inflicted injuries,” Hawn said.

It was her father, Dr. Phillip Breen, who revealed the first details about his daughter's tragic death.

“She tried to do her job, and it killed her,” he told The New York Times. “She was truly in the trenches of the front line.”

He said his daughter seemed very detached of late and that she had described some of the horrors she had witnessed at the hospital while battling the virus.

meka72

Just found out a former coworker passed away of Covid. It made the news that she and her sister died at home. Older black lady that looked out for me and helped me jump through the the loops and nuances of opening cooperative group NCI oncology trials for my program. She was always like hey baby! What chu need? Always so positive and bubbly... You know the type that you add a Miss to their name for the respect. This one hurts :cry:
I can feel your sadness through your post so much that I have tears in my eyes. I’m so sorry for you and her loved ones. :bighug:

MomofThreeBoys

Nah----Its POSSIBLY inflated as far as the CAUSE of death...But ppl are dying of SOMETHING related to COVID-19 that wouldn't have caused them to die otherwise. The morgues, fridge trucks aren't spiked with a bunch of people dead of diabetes and blood pressure and heart issues alone. We fix that ALL THE TIME. They are not testing every single person sick in the hospital for the sake of confirmation because there isn't always a need. Funeral homes everywhere are absolutely swamped. In most areas. The fact that the funeral homes can't work fast enough is a sign of the situation.

Plus---and here is the sad part...these people are somehow dying SO QUICK after symptoms. They are literally admitted, in the ICU within 2-4 days and dead a day or so after. In many cases, it takes longer to get the test back. Many COVID+ diagnoses are coming post-mortem. And that's pretty much the standard right now. We have nothing because there is NO precedence. Its really important for us all to have as much patience as possible with the information. There legit isn't much. And it really sucks. For me...I know enough to go to work, come home and lay low. Its really all I need. I don't need to know anything else. Diminishing availability of Body bags and fridge truck contracts through the roof of bodies on top of bodies is enough.
But I totally get it.
Thank you! It’s not hard. You can look at trends of the average number of people that typically die in any given city or state at this time of year. The numbers are way up. If not by COVID then what????

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Thank you ladies for keeping the discussion flowing. I pop in and out of this thread because while on one hand I feel like I need to know what's going on, the other hand holds my hypochondria and I get a little bleeping crazy. I don't remember if I shared this but in the early stages of this I was compulsively washing my hands 30-50+ times a day and using hand sanitizer. Of course I have sensitive skin and within days the back of my hands were three shades darker and had the texture of brazil nut shells. Teledoc got my situation moisturized and my hands only look 7o years old as opposed to the 3,000 year old mummified joints they were a week or so ago.