The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
This is the 3 rd article I’ve seen in the last few days that states resistance is short lived which means the vaccine may not be worth anything. The scary thing is the patients in 2 of the articles I read reported a more severe case the second time around. They had few symptoms the first time and were in the moderate category the second time around. Moderate meaning very sick at home but no hospitalizations.

The scary thing is they have been telling and reporting how 20 somethings are usually symptomatic. But it could be that when they get reinfected they will have a more serious disease state the second time around.

This is why I'm concerned. If they are serious about thier timeline with the vaccine, it'll be ready by late spring/early summer 2021. Even if Agent Orange of the White House now is vacated by then, I suspect they'll try to make the vaccine mandatory for school children and college students. So they'll spend all summer having fun thinking they're protected while the antibodies are wearing off. So we'll be getting hit by cold/flu season and a more virulent coronavirus at the same time.

Evolving78

:mad:
That happened in Chicago... see this exactly why my kids will be at home... I have been there and done that with parents not giving a hoot. My kids ended up in the hospital because a parent had to go work.. I understand people gotta do what they gotta do, but it will not be at the expense of my family.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
With his dumb :moon:
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt announces he has tested positive for coronavirus
(CNN)
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, who has aggressively pushed to reopen his state and flouted experts' health recommendations, announced Wednesday that he is the first governor to test positive for coronavirus. Stitt, a Republican, said at a press conference that he was tested on Tuesday and that he feels "fine," other than being a "little bit achy." He said he'll be quarantining and working from home, and that he was "pretty shocked" to be the first governor to get the virus. He added that he would isolating away from his family, whom he said tested negative.

"I want to use my story to remind Oklahomans that if you aren't feeling well, we want you to get tested," said Stitt, who added that he is not considering a statewide mask mandate as of now. Stitt's diagnosis is particularly notable, as he has not only pushed to aggressively reopen his state despite a surge in cases but has at times disregarded advice from medical experts. In March, he faced backlash for posting a photo of himself and his children at a crowded restaurant, which he later deleted.

The city of Tulsa has experienced a recent surge in coronavirus cases following President Donald Trump's rally there on June 20, at which Stitt was present without a facial covering. On Wednesday, the governor downplayed the possibility that he contracted the virus at the event.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/politics/kevin-stitt-oklahoma-governor-coronavirus/index.html

UmSumayyah

Unless there’s a death waiver for the flu I don’t see how this is relevant.

This isn’t motivated by the risk of getting ill. The schools are negligent in their reopening plans and this is an attempt to mitigate their risk of being sued.
It's relevant because the risk of death is ever present.

It's relevant because parents have always had the option to keep children with compromised immune systems home. My school system has been obligated since I don't know when to provide instruction for those children, whether they must be home or have extended stays at the hospital.

Waivers are now a thing because people have a greater expectation that safety is guaranteed and are more likely to sue. So yes, entities now have to make sure that people acknowledge that being around others carries the risk for transmission of viruses, which may turn out to be deadly. They can improve ventilation, install plexiglass, require masks and reduce density but they can't guarantee that little Johnny or Susie won't contract a virus, nor can they guarantee that Johnny or Susie won't be in the small number of children that dies.

In the same way a sports league can keep fields and courts up to standards and hire referees to enforce rules but they can't guarantee that your child won't be the one to get hit in just the right place to cause severe injury or death.

Schools can open all they want, it doesn't mean you have to send your children. School systems have posted their plans, some have video walk throughs showing the modifications they have made, I think every public school systems have board meetings available to watch on YouTube or their sites. They are given guidance by health departments (and state education departments too I believe)

Parents are free to look at everything and decide, no one is sending people with guns to drag children into schools.

dicapr

It's relevant because the risk of death is ever present.

It's relevant because parents have always had the option to keep children with compromised immune systems home. My school system has been obligated since I don't know when to provide instruction for those children, whether they must be home or have extended stays at the hospital.

Waivers are now a thing because people have a greater expectation that safety is guaranteed and are more likely to sue. So yes, entities now have to make sure that people acknowledge that being around others carries the risk for transmission of viruses, which may turn out to be deadly. They can improve ventilation, install plexiglass, require masks and reduce density but they can't guarantee that little Johnny or Susie won't contract a virus, nor can they guarantee that Johnny or Susie won't be in the small number of children that dies.

In the same way a sports league can keep fields and courts up to standards and hire referees to enforce rules but they can't guarantee that your child won't be the one to get hit in just the right place to cause severe injury or death.

Schools can open all they want, it doesn't mean you have to send your children. School systems have posted their plans, some have video walk throughs showing the modifications they have made, I think every public school systems have board meetings available to watch on YouTube or their sites. They are given guidance by health departments (and state education departments too I believe)

Parents are free to look at everything and decide, no one is sending people with guns to drag children into schools.

I think the conundrum is that if schools are closed employers and day cares are more likely to work with parents with child care issues. If schools are open the fact that you “need” to work remotely may not be honored at all. You may want to keep your child at home but work/finances make it prohibitive. Also there may not be room at daycare centers for you to enroll your child and they may not be of age to be home alone. It’s a no win situation.

So while it’s true that parents have a choice it’s between a rock and a hard place. The same thing with communities.

Kids are germ factories and they are going to be in the general public spreading their contagion.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
^^ I do not want to go down the road again with comparing flu (&every other possible danger) to a global viral pandemic.

However, re " schools can open all they want , but doesn't mean you have to send your kids"...

That reasoning only considers the children.

For schools to run, however,a whole lot of adults have to be involved incl principals, assistant principals, secretaries, teachers, nurses, counselors, social workers, psychologists, paraprofessionals, substitute teachers, cafeteria workers, maintenance workers including regular building workers, outside emergency maintenance workers and others such as electricians & plumbers , volunteers including retired teachers and parents, parent coordinators, supervisors, security, librarians, accountants, speech pathologists etc.

This is why schools can't 'just open' safely during a pandemic.

dicapr

Yikes. If true, I guess we can say goodbye to the herd immunity theory.

There was another report today saying the same thing. Immunity may only be for a few months.

So this much anticipated/rushed vaccine may not be as effective as we need it to be. The rush to get something on the market is bypassing seeing how well it works and for how long. All they have demonstrated is that it produces antibodies. But if they only last weeks or a few months it’s just going to make people have a false sense of security.

dicapr

^^ I do not want to go down the road again with comparing flu (&every other possible danger) to a global viral pandemic.

However, re " schools can open all they want , but doesn't mean you have to send your kids"...

That reasoning only considers the children.

For schools to run, however,a whole lot of adults have to be involved incl principals, assistant principals, secretaries, teachers, nurses, counselors, social workers, psychologists, paraprofessionals, substitute teachers, cafeteria workers, maintenance workers including regular building workers, outside emergency maintenance workers and others such as electricians & plumbers , volunteers including retired teachers and parents, parent coordinators, supervisors, security, librarians, accountants, speech pathologists etc.

This is why schools can't 'just open' safely during a pandemic.

I completely agree that the entire community is put at risk with children going back in class learning. The issue is so multifaceted.

A teacher was on tv last night was speaking about how special needs students cannot get the education they need at home due to their special circumstances.

It’s just messed up when all of this could have been avoided if the US had a true shut down in the spring time and national mask rules when we reopened. Now we are stuck in this purgatory of community spread.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I completely agree that the entire community is put at risk with children going back in class learning. The issue is so multifaceted.

A teacher was on tv last night was speaking about how special needs students cannot get the education they need at home due to their special circumstances.

It’s just messed up when all of this could have been avoided if the US had a true shut down in the spring time and national mask rules when we reopened. Now we are stuck in this purgatory of community spread.

EXACTLY!