The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

vevster

Sorry Fauci. My glasses will have to be enough.

Dr. Anthony Fauci suggested that people wear goggles or face shields as an added measure of protection against contracting the coronavirus, according to a report.

“If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it,” Fauci, 79, the top US infectious disease expert, told ABC News Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton on Wednesday.

When asked if eye protection will become a formal recommendation at some point, he said, “It might, if you really want perfect protection of the mucosal surfaces.”

Fauci, a member of the White House pandemic task force and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, explained the rationale for the measure.

“You have mucosa in the nose, mucosa in the mouth, but you also have mucosa in the eye,” he said. “Theoretically, you should protect all the mucosal surfaces. So if you have goggles or an eye shield you should use it.”

He added that while goggles and eye or face shields are “not universally recommended” at this time, “if you really want to be complete, you should probably use it if you can.”

Fauci also addressed when people should get tested if they believe they’ve been exposed to the bug, since there are no official guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the National Institutes of Health on the matter.

“That question came up at the task force meeting yesterday and we asked the same thing and we said there’s no real recommendation,” Fauci said on ABC News.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I watched Fauci in an interview with Anderson Cooper and he said he was in a Q&A where someone asked if goggles were helpful as eye protection and he gave that answer which turned into headlines saying he said run out and get goggles.

I keep goggles in my car and in my office but I stay strapped tho.

Everything Zen

I watched Fauci in an interview with Anderson Cooper and he said he was in a Q&A where someone asked if goggles were helpful as eye protection and he gave that answer which turned into headlines saying he said run out and get goggles.

I keep goggles in my car and in my office but I stay strapped tho.

Face shield? :look:

I only leave the house if it’s absolutely necessary so I’m on the verge of a mental breakdown anyway. :drunk::cry3:

Crackers Phinn

Face shield? :look:

I only leave the house if it’s absolutely necessary so I’m on the verge of a mental breakdown anyway. :drunk::cry3:
I wear glasses and I have not found crystal clear face shields yet so the world around me be looking like somebody smeared vaseline on it. Goggles work better but I can't wear them long or they make an impression on my face.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Last edited:

discodumpling

So we're asked to choose between blended and remote learning for NYC public school children. I chose remote for DD (she's tiiiiight about that) for her 6th grade year and blended for DS#2 who with my foot securely up his butt and God willing will be in the 12th grade. The blended option can be changed at anytime to fully remote.
What education options are you ladies using for the upcoming school year? What choices have you been presented with? How much risk are YOU taking with YOUR progeny?

Evolving78

So we're asked to choose between blended and remote learning for NYC public school children. I chose remote for DD (she's tiiiiight about that) for her 6th grade year and blended for DS#2 who with my foot securely up his butt and God willing will be in the 12th grade. The blended option can be changed at anytime to fully remote.
What education options are you ladies using for the upcoming school year? What choices have you been presented with? How much risk are YOU taking with YOUR progeny?
All remote for mine. I have one sprout and two teens. One in high school, one in middle, and one in elementary.

Everything Zen

This blended mess is a farce anyway. In Chicago our numbers are going up and they’re talking about making the kids sit in the same room all day including lunch wearing masks and having the teachers rotate. Can you imagine a bunch of kids with all that energy stuck in one room (let alone the ones with ADHD and other behavioral problems)? I don't think the kids are gonna like it at all! The first time anyone tests positive issa wrap anyway and then we’ll be headed into flu season on top of everything else. Stop the madness.

awhyley

Oh my word. How embarrassing.

Don’t ruin your hair or do anything drastic you’ll regret. Maybe just braid it up until we get past this? I’ve been wearing a slap cap with mini twists underneath. Next week I’ll probably do something like this:

@Theresamonet, did you ever braid up?

We're probably going to have another lockdown, and I'm thinking about braiding up this time. That way, I don't have a worry about it for a few weeks at least.

(eta: )
Ya’ll pray for me and my children. I haven’t been feeling well and I’m scheduled for a test this week.

Hope it all goes well @Evolving78

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

What's interesting is the people I know that were most worried/hardcore precautious about this back in March are more out and about now. I'm talking outings outside the house with other people they don't live with.

On a different note, I'm still working from home. Each month the date we're supposed to come back in the office gets pushed back another month. Now with schools being 100% remote, good luck trying to get parents to fully be in the office. I don't have kids but if they don't have to come in I don't want to either. If I have to be in a mask 8 hrs a day in the office just. leave. me. at. home.

naturalgyrl5199

Lord, these campers with COVID-19. Camp closed within a week.
Many schools that open this week will be closing NEXT week. Most Florida Schools have been pushed to the 24th or later in August.

In our district in FL it went from the 10th to the 19th to the 24th, and now the 31st.

We are going remote for DD. The 2 yr old will stay in her day care as she has been all summer. I'm concerned because the teachers there have school aged children who they are sending to school as long as its open. Otherwise, they will have to attend day care as well. We have a 3rd grade teacher going to the day care TO VOLUNTEER right now to teach the older kids (like mine who is there and other rising 1st graders). If they end up ultimately shutting down, I may see how we can chip in to pay her. She actually has kids in day care there and she actually used to work there. Its a small day care and family owned. I really love it. Or I can see if we can chip in to have her own kids day care fees covered.

naturalgyrl5199

What's interesting is the people I know that were most worried/hardcore precautious about this back in March are more out and about now. I'm talking outings outside the house with other people they don't live with.

On a different note, I'm still working from home. Each month the date we're supposed to come back in the office gets pushed back another month. Now with schools being 100% remote, good luck trying to get parents to fully be in the office. I don't have kids but if they don't have to come in I don't want to either. If I have to be in a mask 8 hrs a day in the office just. leave. me. at. home.
I work for a Federal program and we are supposed to go back Oct 1st when the Federal Fiscal Year starts. Pretty sure it will be extended throughout Dec 31st. The demand from the people we serve will see to that. I may "help them" and "direct them" on who to call to complain about it. Hehe...

oneastrocurlie

I work for a Federal program and we are supposed to go back Oct 1st when the Federal Fiscal Year starts. Pretty sure it will be extended throughout Dec 31st. The demand from the people we serve will see to that. I may "help them" and "direct them" on who to call to complain about it. Hehe...

I'm praying they just let us stay home until the end of the year. I call the developers at work cry babies but I'm gonna need them to cry a river this go 'round. Lol. There's more of them then us non-devs in the department. Our scrum master has brought up his asthma several times. Need them to keep that same energy up come next month and the months after that.

Crackers Phinn

As hard as it is to get Clorox wipes, why did I come into the office today and somebody left the cover open on the cannister in the kitchen and an entire roll was almost completely dry? It wasn't like the person pushed the cap down and didn't snap it shut, no no no no nooooo, they left it wide open with a wipe sticking out.

Luckily, I got a few cannisters that are running low that have liquid in them but MAYNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Evolving78

I got tested today. I get my results in a few days. I feel better today. Last week and yesterday was rough! I had several symptoms for 5-6 days. The test wasn’t too bad. I didn’t do it myself. The nurse performed the test and she did insert it kind of far up my nose, but not too crazy. Now I gotta deal with a broken toe.

Evolving78

IKR! Certain people I knew were buying up everything, bought guns, etc.. now they can’t seem to sit down somewhere and have become reckless. I literally only go out for errands and medical appts. I came into contact with one person for 15 mins, then 2 days later I started not feeling well.

Crackers Phinn

If somebody knows how to resize pictures let me know.

awhyley

Australia is not playing around.

(CNN)The premier of Victoria plunged the region into a "state of disaster" on Sunday, announcing even stricter lockdown measures, introducing a nightly curfew and banning virtually all trips outdoors after Australia's second largest state recorded 671 new infections in a single day.

Daniel Andrews told Victorians at a news conference that "we have to do more, and we have to do more right now," as the state battles to contain a devastating coronavirus outbreak that had already stripped residents of their freedoms, livelihoods and social interactions and made it an outlier from the rest of the country.

"Where you slept last night is where you'll need to stay for the next six weeks," Andrews said, announcing a curfew between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. beginning Sunday evening and moving Metropolitan Melbourne into stage four lockdown measures. In that part of the state, only one person per household will be allowed to leave their homes once a day -- outside of curfew hours -- to pick up essential goods, and they must stay within a 5 kilometer radius of their home. Melburnians had already been under strict measures for most of July after the area was identified as the epicenter of Australia's second wave.

The draconian new rules were spurred by more bleak Covid-19 figures. Seven new deaths were announced on Saturday, bringing the state's total to 123, and there have been 11,557 confirmed infections.

(More below)
Link: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...ration-tips-etc.847883/page-182#post-25514951