The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Everything Zen

^^^^ My job provided the handful of us required to travel with three N95s that we are expected to reuse and wear up to six hours a day. The rest of the company is on a strict work from home policy through the end of the year. It’s disgusting when a basic face mask would suffice for the type of work that we do. Fortunately, none of my sites are allowing sponsors onsite so I’m still not traveling and the travel policy says you don’t have to travel if you don’t feel comfortable to do so. Guess who ain’t traveling? :look:

Last edited:

vevster

^^^^ My job provided the handful of us required to travel with three N95s that we are expected to reuse and wear up to six hours a day. The rest of the company is on a strict work from home policy through the end of the year. It’s disgusting when a basic face mask would suffice for the type of work that we do. Fortunately, none of my sites are allowing sponsors onsite so I’m still not traveling and the travel policy says you don’t have to travel if you don’t feel comfortable to do so. Guess who ain’t traveling? :look:
I have to consider myself grateful because we get cases of N95 masks and other stuff all the time. I wear a fresh N95 daily at work. Then I switch to my fashion mask when going home....

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I have seen more masks pulled out of filthy pockets, purses, off car seats, car floors, with debris on them (probably both sides) that I just keep mine on my face all day until I get inside. I took my mask off once in the car and the next thing I knew it was on the floor. I'm not putting that next to my face but a lot of people do and while I got a pretty secure stash, I try to only use one mask a day.

Quite frankly, I officially became the person who wears my mask in my car by myself after this video. The only person I ride with is the old man but I would have the same reaction to putting on anybody else's mask. This is like sharing toothbrushes to me. Other people can do that. That's not what I do.

Crackers Phinn

What is wrong with people? Why would anyone with an ounce of brains in their head think this was protecting anybody including themselves?

Lana Del Rey criticised for wearing mesh mask to meet fans
By Mark Savage

Crackers Phinn

The landlord had an electrician come in today to do some work. Our panel is behind some inventory racks but it's separated by a chain link fence not a wall. One of the employees was headed down that way and stopped because she saw the electrician was back there with his mask off. I raised the holiest of hells with the landlord.

We got mask signs posted all over the :censored: place but people are always going to try to get away with some pooh if they think nobody is looking. Droplets can hang in the air and while it's not a high traffic area where he was at, it's where we turn the lights off at night.

I hate people and I blame the president.

BonBon

-_-

A manager at my DH's work has just found out his wife has Covid.

Yesterday he was all over the site talking to people and held a 2 hour, closed door meeting about a metre in front of the staff. DH's boss was trying to Kanye shrug it off but the staff complained and now they are buying tests for everyone.

Here comes the long week of worrying every time I feel "off". I have a home test on the way, but I'll wait till the weekend to do it. I hear if you test too early its more likely to throw a false negative *sigh*

dancinstallion

I just got the notification my part of town is shut down starting Thursday :sigh:

I heard there is a big spike in parts of Queens and Brooklyn. They deployed more travel nurses to those areas last week.

Is this the second wave for yall? because the news said third wave.

Crackers Phinn

-_-

A manager at my DH's work has just found out his wife has Covid.

Yesterday he was all over the site talking to people and held a 2 hour, closed door meeting
about a metre in front of the staff. DH's boss was trying to Kanye shrug it off but the staff complained and now they are buying tests for everyone.

Here comes the long week of worrying every time I feel "off". I have a home test on the way, but I'll wait till the weekend to do it. I hear if you test too early its more likely to throw a false negative *sigh*
WHAT IN THE ENTIRE :censored:?!?!??!!?!? Gather all the evidence that you can that this happened and report their :moon: to your local health department and OSHA.

Crackers Phinn

With they dumb :moon:'s
“When they reduced his sedative and he came around, they said to him, ‘Do you know where you are? You’re in the coronavirus ward,'” Zaraabel recounted. “He said: ‘It’s not possible, there’s no coronavirus; it’s just politics.’ They replied: ‘So what are you doing here?'”

I wish that I had even an inkling of this being made up but the bolded is Israeli customer service in a nutshell.

OhTall1

How serious is your employer about COVID?

Mine has really pressed it upon people that they do not want you in the building unless there's literally no other way to do your job. Lots of hand sanitizer, gloves and reusable cloth masks for anyone who needs to come in.

Now they've created a self reporting survey that you have to fill out on days you want to come on site. If you don't have a completed form stating that you and your family don't have a temperature or symptoms, your badge won't work to let you in the facility. They're like

meka72

My mother was diagnosed with C19 on Monday. She had a 102 fever, cough and sore throat. Her husband has the same symptoms and went to get tested today. He’s retired, receives 2 pensions but is worried about getting a note for his lil part time job. Lol.

I bought them most of the supplements mentioned here and in the other thread, as well buying oximeters and thermometers.

Luckily, they’ve improved today. Fevers are near normal. Oxygen is above 95%. I hope they continue to improve and don’t have any setbacks (or “backsets” as my country family likes to say).

dancinstallion

My mother was diagnosed with C19 on Monday. She had a 102 fever, cough and sore throat. Her husband has the same symptoms and went to get tested today. He’s retired, receives 2 pensions but is worried about getting a note for his lil part time job. Lol.

I bought them most of the supplements mentioned here and in the other thread, as well buying oximeters and thermometers.

Luckily, they’ve improved today. Fevers are near normal. Oxygen is above 95%. I hope they continue to improve and don’t have any setbacks (or “backsets” as my country family likes to say).

I wish them a speedy recovery.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
This virus has no chill. :nono:

First Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reinfections in US
Brenda Goodman, MA
October 12, 2020

• ADD TO EMAIL ALERTS

Editor's note: Find the latest COVID-19 news and guidance in Medscape's Coronavirus Resource Center.
A 25-year-old man from Nevada and a 42-year-old man in Virginia experienced second bouts of COVID-19 about 2 months after they tested positive the first time. Gene tests show both men had two slightly different strains of the virus, suggesting that they caught the infection twice.
Researchers say these are the first documented cases of COVID-19 reinfection in the U.S. About two dozen other cases of COVID-19 reinfection have been reported around the globe, from Hong Kong, Belgium, the Netherlands, India, and Ecuador. A third U.S. case, in a 60-year-old in Washington, has been reported but hasn't yet been peer reviewed.
Until now, immunologists haven't been too concerned about these reinfections because most second infections have been milder than the first, indicating that the immune system is doing its job and fighting off the virus when it is recognized a second time.

Unlike most of those cases, however, the men in Reno, NV, and Virginia, and a 46-year-old man in Ecuador, had more severe symptoms during their second infections, potentially complicating the development and deployment of effective vaccines.
The U.S. cases are detailed in new studies published in The Lancet and the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.
"Coronaviruses are known to reinfect people — the seasonal ones — and so it's not very surprising to see reinfections occurring with this particular coronavirus," said Akiko Iwasaki, PhD, an immunobiologist at Yale University who was not involved in either study. "And the fact that there is more severe disease the second time around. It could a be a one-in-a-million event, we don't know. We're just becoming aware of the reinfection cases, and they are just a handful among millions of people infected."
The Nevada man originally got sick on March 25. His symptoms included a sore throat, cough, headache, nausea, and diarrhea. A test taken at a community event held on April 18 confirmed COVID-19. His symptoms gradually subsided and he reported feeling better on April 27. He tested negative for the virus twice after he recovered.

About a month later, the man went to an urgent care center with a fever, headache, dizziness, cough, nausea, and diarrhea. They sent him home. Five days later, he went to the doctor again, this time with difficulty breathing and low blood oxygen. They told him to go to the ER. He was admitted to the hospital on June 5. Lung X-rays showed telltale patches of cloudiness, known as ground-glass opacities, and a nasal swab test confirmed COVID-19. Gene testing of the two swabs, from April and June, showed key changes to the genetic instructions for the virus in the second test, suggesting that he'd gotten a slightly different strain the second time.
The Virginia man — a military health care provider — was infected the first time at work. He tested positive in late March after getting a cough, fever, and body aches. He recovered after 10 days and was well for nearly 2 more months. In late May, however, a member of his family got COVID-19, and he then got sick again with a fever, cough, difficulty breathing, and stomach upset. A chest X-ray confirmed pneumonia. His symptoms were worse the second time. Gene testing of the virus from each of his swabs indicated slight changes, suggesting he was infected twice.

There are other possibilities, including that the virus somehow went silent in his body for a few weeks and then became active again. The study authors think this is unlikely because it would mean that the virus is changing at a much faster pace than has been seen so far.

They also can't tell whether the severity of symptoms the men experienced the second time were related to the virus or to how their immune systems reacted to it. Were they sicker because they got a larger dose of the virus? Was there something about the gene changes to the virus that made it more damaging when the men caught it again? Or could their first COVID-19 infections have somehow primed their immune systems the wrong way, leading to more severe infections the second time — a phenomenon called enhancement?

Scientists are racing to try to understand all those things and more — what reinfection means and how common it may be. If it happens frequently, that could complicate efforts to reach a level of community protection known as herd immunity. Vaccines may need to be tweaked to keep up with the virus as it evolves, and people may need regular boosters to maintain their protection.

"We need more research to understand how long immunity may last for people exposed to SARS-CoV-2 and why some of these second infections, while rare, are presenting as more severe," study author Mark Pandori, PhD, of the Nevada State Public Health Laboratory, said in a news release.

"So far, we've only seen a handful of reinfection cases, but that doesn't mean there aren't more, especially as many cases of COVID-19 are asymptomatic," he said. "Right now, we can only speculate about the cause of reinfection."

Researchers stress that everyone should protect themselves from COVID-19 infection, even if they're sure they've had it before, by wearing a face mask in public, staying at least 6 feet away from others, and washing and sanitizing hands often.

SOURCES:

Akiko Iwasaki, PhD, Waldemar Von Zedtwitz Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology; Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT.

The Lancet, Oct. 1, 2020.

Clinical Infectious Diseases, Sept. 19, 2020.