The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

sunshinebeautiful

I mentioned a few months ago it would move from urban areas to rural central states and here we are. Those same governors aren't claiming its fake anymore. Especially since cities in the central states are running out of ICU beds. tRump keeps LYING about NY...saying everyone is dying there when in reality the infection rate is down to 1%. Here in North florida SURROUNDED by rural counties, our county still has a 7-8% infection rate. Not to mention the fact that the graveyard next to my job has been digging holes overtime. Doggone DeSantis doesn't care about us. Just businesses. The sad part is...many of these businesses might not make it past Christmas.

LAWD.... so scary. I live in South Florida, but my whole family is in Jacksonville. Totally know what you mean about the rural counties. Sheesh. I tell you what - I was driving up to see my parents a few months ago. On the Turnpike, I pass a big truck that had the name of a casket company on the side. This whole thing is totally and completely surreal.

awhyley

Kind of like :nono:

Not to mention the fact that the graveyard next to my job has been digging holes overtime.

:cry4: That's the saddest thing I've read in a while.

Listen, if this is how you need to get what you need to protect yourself, THEN SUCK IT UP & DO IT. This dudes only mistake was putting his face on the internets.

My prayer is that alot of people are "MAGA-ing" to get by and that the blue wave is actually a blue tsunami in November.

vevster

True but I thought people would get into it on their own. You can't get the drugs he was on unless you're sick and, even then, you can't get the experimental stuff. But vitamin d, zinc, and all the stuff we've discussed here is available to everyone. I guess I thought that it would be "legitimized" since the president's doctors have him on it but it seems it was just glossed over. I'm disappointed but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
They are also talking about it as a treatment not preventative / mitigation.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation

The disregard for life is astonishing especially when you consider their loved ones will be the first to fall ill.

When I first saw this, I thought it was a typo thinking how does anyone know 10,000 to attend one wedding? Had to be 1,000 (which is still crazy but more believable).

Then saw the population and understood this wasn't a typo. :nono: This religious group are full of entitled and irresponsible imbeciles. Can we put them in a bubble so that they don't interact with us rational people?

Ganjababy

My 18 year old niece started university a month ago. Moved away from home to university. They are not going to classes but are expected to stay in their dorms and study and take classes Online. She is a social butterfly and never been away from home for more than one night. Very close to her mom and siblings. COVID (2 close family members of hers had it and one was hospitalize) and isolation has been hard on her. Since it’s onset she has been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and a few other stuff.

In addition (my sis) her mom and Dad are going through a divorce (my BIL showed his true colours during COVID and sis had to file). Her house mate (they went to high school together) called her mom (my sis) and told her that she was fearing that my niece was going to kill herself so she had to hide all the knives in the dorm. Imagine our shock. This kid is the most happy go lucky girl you could find. Bright (accepted to all the universities she applied to). Beautiful and popular and happy before this. She has been admitted to a psych ward. :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: She asked her mom not tell tell anyone in the family because she is sooo embarrassed:cry3:I gave her mom permission to talk to her about my own struggles with mental health (the kids in my family were not told or exposed to it) in the hopes that it would lessen her shame. My poor sister is going through it...

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

My 18 year old niece started university a month ago. Moved away from home to university. They are not going to classes but are expected to stay in their dorms and study and take classes Online. She is a social butterfly and never been away from home for more than one night. Very close to her mom and siblings. COVID (2 close family members of hers had it and one was hospitalize) and isolation has been hard on her. Since it’s onset she has been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and a few other stuff.

In addition (my sis) her mom and Dad are going through a divorce (my BIL showed his true colours during COVID and sis had to file). Her house mate (they went to high school together) called her mom (my sis) and told her that she was fearing that my niece was going to kill herself so she had to hide all the knives in the dorm. Imagine our shock. This kid is the most happy go lucky girl you could find. Bright (accepted to all the universities she applied to). Beautiful and popular and happy before this. She has been admitted to a psych ward. :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: She asked her mom not tell tell anyone in the family because she is sooo embarrassed:cry3:I gave her mom permission to talk to her about my own struggles with mental health (the kids in my family were not told or exposed to it) in the hopes that it would lessen her shame. My poor sister is going through it...

OMG. I am so sorry to hear about your niece. This entire thing - with no end in sight - has been taking its psychological and emotional toll on people left and right. A lot college freshmen suffer from homesickness in a regular school year after moving away from home - so to leave home, go off to college, and have to sit in a dorm room and isolate and take classes online *has* to be a whole lot.

vevster

I spoke to a white friend over the weekend. She says she doesn't know of anyone that caught covid. I don't think I know any black person with that status. She lives in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I spoke to a white friend over the weekend. She says she doesn't know of anyone that caught covid. I don't think I know any black person with that status. She lives in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

Do you mean that most Black people you know, did catch COVID-19? Esp. those living in that area?

vevster

The orthodox jews in NY are crying racism. I saw this guy call a girl a racist because her business was full and she couldn't let him in.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

:pray: I’m so sorry about your niece and her struggles. I’m praying for your family. God’s love will heal and bring your family through this. Your niece will be comforted and healed.

I pray for all in this forum to have God’s peace and healing. So much is going on all at once; it’s a very stressful time for all. Please be encouraged. :pray:

meka72

I really want to urge everyone to buy an oximeter and to encourage their loved ones to do so as well. In addition to my mother and step father, my sister, her husband and MIL all tested c19 positive. Luckily my sister bought all the things that I bought my parents including an oximeter because he was able to make it to the ER when his oxygen went down to 82. He’s been in the hospital for 3 days at this point and the doctors are weaning him off oxygen.

His mother first tested c19 negative before testing positive a few days later. They are in the same hospital.

My stepfather, whose at home, and my sister’s husband are both being treated for covid pneumonia.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
At first I thought that this would only be great for children, but on re-watch, it's better for adults. The messaging is excellent.

I don't know if you watched the whole video, but it is definitely a video for adults, not kids (especially younger kids). Very clever video. I think they used a kid cartoon to make it more relatable to the general mentality of those who refuse to wear masks.

Everything Zen

I don’t even know where to put this but my eyesight has deteriorated due to steroids from my annual bout of bronchitis that I have to have cataract surgery on both eyes before the end of the year or lose my license. It’s gonna be complicated and super expensive with the out of pocket costs bc I’m like one of the youngest ophthalmology patients at 38 so I can’t just get the standard geriatric lens. I just had laser eye surgery last year in December bc I also had elevated IOP and am considered pre-glaucoma. My dad lost a ton of vision in his left eye earlier this year bc he has a severe case but he’s 76. At this point I’m just drinking hot toddy’s and cracking up at all this mess in 2020 bc what else are you gonna do? :lol:

sunshinebeautiful

I don’t even know where to put this but my eyesight has deteriorated due to steroids from my annual bout of bronchitis that I have to have cataract surgery on both eyes before the end of the year or lose my license. It’s gonna be complicated and super expensive with the out of pocket costs bc I’m like one of the youngest ophthalmology patients at 38 so I can’t just get the standard geriatric lens. I just had laser eye surgery last year in December bc I also had elevated IOP and am considered pre-glaucoma. My dad lost a ton of vision in his left eye earlier this year bc he has a severe case but he’s 76. At this point I’m just drinking hot toddy’s and cracking up at all this mess in 2020 bc what else are you gonna do? :lol:

Girl. Good luck with your surgery. I also think you're the youngest person I know who's needed one. My mom has to get hers done soon.

Everything Zen

Girl. Good luck with your surgery. I also think you're the youngest person I know who's needed one. My mom has to get hers done soon.

I wish your mom the best as well. I didn’t even know it was that bad bc my eyesight has sucked for the past year. I was like hey not bad! I did pretty good! They couldn’t even find my optic nerve in the machine bc the big cataract was in the way. What are you gonna do? I’m just making light of it. I’m grateful to have a really good job with unlimited PTO and a boss that truly cares about us and our health comes first. People asking me to do stuff at work- no :censored: I’m blind! :lol:

Black Ambrosia

@Everything Zen Girl, you have more than my thoughts and prayers. I'm sending you my energy too. Sometimes all you can do is laugh about it. Or get a few drinks. Or both. I won't judge. I'll probably join you virtually.

Just when you think you've adjusted to 2020 it manages to surprise you.

My aunt passed last week. She hadn't been tested and the EMS determined it was natural causes but we don't know. Her symptoms could've been covid or something else. I tried to take her to urgent care the night she died but she refused and told me she'd go the day after. But the day after we found her in her home.

Found out over the weekend that a cousin has a brain tumor. It hasn't been confirmed yet but the assumption is that it's cancerous.

And this is random but my dentist is basically stalking me about my overdue dental cleaning. I appreciate the effort and concern about my health but I'm really not comfortable when I can't wear a mask and other people's germs, spittle, and whatever else is aerosolized in that space. Does anyone know what precautions dentists are taking? Maybe if they can assure me they're doing something special I'll consider going but I feel like I need to get my vitamin d levels tested before even thinking about it. I'm around my mother often and I'm not gonna do anything that indirectly puts her at risk.

Black Ambrosia

I mean that all black people that I KNOW have either caught Covid and or have friends & fam that have caught it.
I know you are in Europe, so it may be different for you.
I think it's still regional tbh. I'm in Detroit. You're in New York. Both areas were hit hard really early. I know of 4 people in a one block radius here but I have friends in Atlanta who haven't been touched by it at all. One friend was telling me in May how nothing was shut down and life wasn't any different aside from her job making everyone work at home. And she was complaining because she's doing more work from home than she would in the office. I can relate but it still bothered me because I could tell she didn't get how serious it is. Ironically she got covid in August and still isn't sure how but thinks it was a relative who had an inconclusive test result.

meka72

Sending good vibes your way.

Everything Zen

@Everything Zen Girl, you have more than my thoughts and prayers. I'm sending you my energy too. Sometimes all you can do is laugh about it. Or get a few drinks. Or both. I won't judge. I'll probably join you virtually.

Just when you think you've adjusted to 2020 it manages to surprise you.

My aunt passed last week. She hadn't been tested and the EMS determined it was natural causes but we don't know. Her symptoms could've been covid or something else. I tried to take her to urgent care the night she died but she refused and told me she'd go the day after. But the day after we found her in her home.

Found out over the weekend that a cousin has a brain tumor. It hasn't been confirmed yet but the assumption is that it's cancerous.

And this is random but my dentist is basically stalking me about my overdue dental cleaning. I appreciate the effort and concern about my health but I'm really not comfortable when I can't wear a mask and other people's germs, spittle, and whatever else is aerosolized in that space. Does anyone know what precautions dentists are taking? Maybe if they can assure me they're doing something special I'll consider going but I feel like I need to get my vitamin d levels tested before even thinking about it. I'm around my mother often and I'm not gonna do anything that indirectly puts her at risk.

You have my sincerest condolences. The same thing happened to an uncle (extended family) a few mo nths ago. He was planning on going to the hospital in the morning but died overnight.

I can tell you that the dentist was extremely hygienic. My dentist made me gargle with hydroxide solution beforehand and the entire procedure was done behind a mask and a shield. There are lots of barriers/modifications in place to prevent any spread of droplets. I’m not explaining things well but, I was impressed and hope these modifications are here to stay. I was allowed to put my mask back on in between parts as well.

As an only child- I’m doing the same in terms of avoiding everyone except my parents. I saw one friend who came by for dinner a couple of weeks ago with his dog (First friend I’ve seen since last year who recently had a negative Covid test) but that’s it.