The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

vevster

I think it's still regional tbh. I'm in Detroit. You're in New York. Both areas were hit hard really early. I know of 4 people in a one block radius here but I have friends in Atlanta who haven't been touched by it at all. One friend was telling me in May how nothing was shut down and life wasn't any different aside from her job making everyone work at home. And she was complaining because she's doing more work from home than she would in the office. I can relate but it still bothered me because I could tell she didn't get how serious it is. Ironically she got covid in August and still isn't sure how but thinks it was a relative who had an inconclusive test result.
I’m sure. I can only speak for people I know. I have friends and fam across the country / world.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
One of our sister sites has had to close for 2 weeks. 50% of the staff tested positive for COVID-19 in 1 day. Our CEO believes it was due to community exposure but I'm still baffled? You are a healthcare professional. You don't wear your mask everywhere?

On a slight side note, I've stopped purchasing my own masks. Not because I think this is over (we're likely going to be dealing with this at least another 18 months) but I'm getting them for free. Sales reps come to clinic and before they used to bribe us with lunches and cookies. Now we're getting hand sanitizers, masks, and scrub caps.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I think it's still regional tbh. I'm in Detroit. You're in New York. Both areas were hit hard really early. I know of 4 people in a one block radius here but I have friends in Atlanta who haven't been touched by it at all. One friend was telling me in May how nothing was shut down and life wasn't any different aside from her job making everyone work at home. And she was complaining because she's doing more work from home than she would in the office. I can relate but it still bothered me because I could tell she didn't get how serious it is. Ironically she got covid in August and still isn't sure how but thinks it was a relative who had an inconclusive test result.
I know at least two dozen people who have died of Covid in Detroit but some of the relics from my childhood just about took me out. When I read that Rona got Mr. Fofo, I was beside myself.

meka72

One of our sister sites has had to close for 2 weeks. 50% of the staff tested positive for COVID-19 in 1 day. Our CEO believes it was due to community exposure but I'm still baffled? You are a healthcare professional. You don't wear your mask everywhere?

On a slight side note, I've stopped purchasing my own masks. Not because I think this is over (we're likely going to be dealing with this at least another 18 months) but I'm getting them for free. Sales reps come to clinic and before they used to bribe us with lunches and cookies. Now we're getting hand sanitizers, masks, and scrub caps.
My sister is a RN and has no idea what “quarantine” meant. She thought it meant that she had to wear a mask all the time, which she still wasn’t doing.:rolleyes: They’re blaming my mother (also a healthcare worker) as patient zero for the family C19 spread but I think it could be my sister.

Alta Angel

My students are back to school F2F now. I am not even going to talk about the sh*tshow that teaching virtually and F2F is, but these jokers are just out of their minds with glee being in the presence of other kids. I have chosen for my students to eat lunch in my room with 14 other students rather than a lunchroom of over 100 students. I eat my lunch at 10 a.m. when I am on planning and in my room by myself. I maintain a distance of more than 6 feet at all times and I sit near my air filter with UV light. Of course I use sanitizer for everything. All students and teacher must wear masks. I have to change masks twice per day because they become soaked. I have upped my entire skin care game as well. I have no idea how the hot moisture of the mask is going to affect my skin.

I don't know if my efforts are futile, but I can't take any chances.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
My students are back to school F2F now. I am not even going to talk about the sh*tshow that teaching virtually and F2F is, but these jokers are just out of their minds with glee being in the presence of other kids. I have chosen for my students to eat lunch in my room with 14 other students rather than a lunchroom of over 100 students. I eat my lunch at 10 a.m. when I am on planning and in my room by myself. I maintain a distance of more than 6 feet at all times and I sit near my air filter with UV light. Of course I use sanitizer for everything. All students and teacher must wear masks. I have to change masks twice per day because they become soaked. I have upped my entire skin care game as well. I have no idea how the hot moisture of the mask is going to affect my skin.

I don't know if my efforts are futile, but I can't take any chances.

OMG! That sounds so stressful! Why on Earth would they choose flu season to go back to F2F????!!!! We have already seen what happens when kids go back to school and then they want to add flu?

You sound like you have a good plan on spite of these miserable circumstances. I pray you stay healthy. What kind of filter uv light are you using?

Chromia

@Everything Zen Girl, you have more than my thoughts and prayers. I'm sending you my energy too. Sometimes all you can do is laugh about it. Or get a few drinks. Or both. I won't judge. I'll probably join you virtually.

Just when you think you've adjusted to 2020 it manages to surprise you.

My aunt passed last week. She hadn't been tested and the EMS determined it was natural causes but we don't know. Her symptoms could've been covid or something else. I tried to take her to urgent care the night she died but she refused and told me she'd go the day after. But the day after we found her in her home.

Found out over the weekend that a cousin has a brain tumor. It hasn't been confirmed yet but the assumption is that it's cancerous.

And this is random but my dentist is basically stalking me about my overdue dental cleaning. I appreciate the effort and concern about my health but I'm really not comfortable when I can't wear a mask and other people's germs, spittle, and whatever else is aerosolized in that space. Does anyone know what precautions dentists are taking? Maybe if they can assure me they're doing something special I'll consider going but I feel like I need to get my vitamin d levels tested before even thinking about it. I'm around my mother often and I'm not gonna do anything that indirectly puts her at risk.
I went to the dentist 6 weeks ago. He wore a mask and a face shield.

This isn't my dentist but this picture is from another dental office near me. This type of PPE is what my dentist had on.
dentist-covid-safety.jpg

Chromia

Sounds like the pharmacy staff at my closest Walgreens. I couldn't believe it when I walked in there in July and most of the pharmacy staff, and most of the regular staff and customers, weren't wearing masks. Every business in my area (except that Walgreens) has been enforcing the governor's mask rules for staff and customers.

When I went back to pick up my prescription I went through the drive-thru and I had a long wait, but no way was I going back inside that store.

I love the new bribes from your sales reps. :lol:

Kanky

Ganjababy

My gosh. 2020 just keep on giving! I had glaucoma from an eye injury and it caused cataracts and I went blind in one eye. I was stopped from working as I was bumping into stuff. It was very traumatic, the idea that I had worked so hard to study and have a good career that barely got started and I could lose it all. But a Few days after I had the surgery to remove the cataracts I was good as new. I could see again. This too will pass. :bighug:

I don’t even know where to put this but my eyesight has deteriorated due to steroids from my annual bout of bronchitis that I have to have cataract surgery on both eyes before the end of the year or lose my license. It’s gonna be complicated and super expensive with the out of pocket costs bc I’m like one of the youngest ophthalmology patients at 38 so I can’t just get the standard geriatric lens. I just had laser eye surgery last year in December bc I also had elevated IOP and am considered pre-glaucoma. My dad lost a ton of vision in his left eye earlier this year bc he has a severe case but he’s 76. At this point I’m just drinking hot toddy’s and cracking up at all this mess in 2020 bc what else are you gonna do? :lol:

Kalia1

@Everything Zen Girl, you have more than my thoughts and prayers. I'm sending you my energy too. Sometimes all you can do is laugh about it. Or get a few drinks. Or both. I won't judge. I'll probably join you virtually.

Just when you think you've adjusted to 2020 it manages to surprise you.

My aunt passed last week. She hadn't been tested and the EMS determined it was natural causes but we don't know. Her symptoms could've been covid or something else. I tried to take her to urgent care the night she died but she refused and told me she'd go the day after. But the day after we found her in her home.

Found out over the weekend that a cousin has a brain tumor. It hasn't been confirmed yet but the assumption is that it's cancerous.

And this is random but my dentist is basically stalking me about my overdue dental cleaning. I appreciate the effort and concern about my health but I'm really not comfortable when I can't wear a mask and other people's germs, spittle, and whatever else is aerosolized in that space. Does anyone know what precautions dentists are taking? Maybe if they can assure me they're doing something special I'll consider going but I feel like I need to get my vitamin d levels tested before even thinking about it. I'm around my mother often and I'm not gonna do anything that indirectly puts her at risk.

I had oral surgery back on late September and I was the only patient scheduled for surgery that morning. I had a COVID test 3 days before and I also had my temperature checked upon my arrival. My Dentist too had on PPE as well as the staff who assisted him.

Alta Angel

This is the filter I have:

OMG! That sounds so stressful! Why on Earth would they choose flu season to go back to F2F????!!!! We have already seen what happens when kids go back to school and then they want to add flu?

You sound like you have a good plan on spite of these miserable circumstances. I pray you stay healthy. What kind of filter uv light are you using?

Chromia

This is the filter I have:

Germ Guardian air purifiers with UV-C light are what we have at my job also. Fortunately we're still closed to the public. Before we closed they got these for my co-workers who take walk-ins in their offices.

This is the one my co-workers have. It's a tabletop filter designed for small spaces, so it's half as tall as yours.

Alta Angel

So we have been back a total of 6 days.

Students sent home due to Covid symptons: 10
Cases that teachers were notified about: 0

Students do not have to get tested or prove that they tested negative to come back to school. If a teacher is quarantined, we are automatically out for 14 days and cannot enter the school building without a negative test. They just recently changed the policy where if a teacher was quarantined a 2nd time that it would have to come out of our personal leave.

I just read about the "Mom Code", where parents are not getting their children tested so schools can remain open. I am beyond pissed right now.

nycutiepie

Students do not have to get tested or prove that they tested negative to come back to school. If a teacher is quarantined, we are automatically out for 14 days and cannot enter the school building without a negative test. They just recently changed the policy where if a teacher was quarantined a 2nd time that it would have to come out of our personal leave.

I just read about the "Mom Code", where parents are not getting their children tested so schools can remain open. I am beyond pissed right now.

Will pray for you...stay strong sis

Ganjababy

Has anyone had the antibody test? I just googled and the regular labs (Dynacare) now offer the test for $70 to anyone who has a prescription. I checked over the summer and only one lab in Toronto offered it for about $400 at that time so this is good news. I am thinking of getting tested. I get the actual COVID test every 2 weeks at work.

It finally arrived at our hospital campus this week. All the directors have been in meetings with the health department/public health.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

Hopefully you won't ever have to do this but research whether you can file a workers compensation claim for Covid 19 in your state. They do this in California if you have a reasonable argument that you caught Covid on the job. Shady employers don't want the claims on their record so they may not announce anything. Right now govt paycheck jobs are shady.

TrulyBlessed

A guard asked two sisters to put on a mask. They stabbed him 27 times instead, prosecutors say.
Jaclyn Peiser
Chicago police arrested two sisters on Sunday in the stabbing of a security guard who asked customers to wear a mask in a shoe store.

Chicago police arrested two sisters on Sunday in the stabbing of a security guard who asked customers to wear a mask in a shoe store. (Charles Rex Arbogast/AP)

The guard eventually escaped and helped keep the sisters in the store until police arrested them. At a hearing on Tuesday, a judge with the Circuit Court of Cook County ordered the sisters to be held without bond on charges of first-degree attempted murder.
“It’s the complete randomness of this. It’s terrifying,” Judge Mary C. Marubio said Tuesday in the hearing, which was live-streamed on YouTube, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

In Illinois, which has had more than 387,000 coronavirus cases and more than 9,800 deaths, a statewide mandate requires masks in public and while working.

The Chicago case is the latest incident of violent confrontations breaking out over mask rules. In September, an 80-year-old man in West Seneca, N.Y., died days after another man allegedly shoved him for asking him to wear a mask in a bar. A couple in Los Angeles was charged with murder in July after a confrontation with a maskless man turned deadly. A stabbing during a fight over masks at a grocery store in Eaton County, Mich., that same month resulted in two deaths.

When states first began lifting coronavirus lockdown measures in the summer, tensions around face masks had been mounting since the CDC first recommended them.

The altercation in Chicago began at around 6 p.m. Sunday, prosecutors said, when Jessica and Jayla Hill arrived at Snipes shoe store.

As the sisters argued with the 32-year-old guard, who has not been publicly identified, Jayla Hill took out her phone to record the confrontation, the Sun-Times

The sisters punched the guard, prosecutors said, and then Jessica allegedly took out a “comb knife” that had a hidden blade and started stabbing him.

Jessica stabbed him in the back, neck and arms, said Karie James, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department, while Jayla held on to the man’s hair. They then kicked him in the head and body, prosecutors allege, while the guard and the store’s manager begged the women to stop.

The sisters were arrested at about 6:15 p.m., according to police, and the security guard was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital. The guard was in critical condition, James told The Washington Post.

At the bond hearing on Tuesday, the sisters’ court-appointed attorney argued the first-degree attempted murder charges were too extreme because they were acting in self-defense and have bipolar disorder, according to the Chicago Tribune. The sisters have no criminal record.

The attorney also said the women had not planned to attack the guard. But the judge said she was concerned by the “sheer number” of stab wounds.

“This is just too random and quickly escalating,” Marubio said. “I can’t fashion conditions that would protect the community.”

The pair will return to court on Nov. 4, according to the Sun-Times.

dancinstallion

A guard asked two sisters to put on a mask. They stabbed him 27 times instead, prosecutors say.
Jaclyn Peiser
Chicago police arrested two sisters on Sunday in the stabbing of a security guard who asked customers to wear a mask in a shoe store.

Chicago police arrested two sisters on Sunday in the stabbing of a security guard who asked customers to wear a mask in a shoe store. (Charles Rex Arbogast/AP)

The guard eventually escaped and helped keep the sisters in the store until police arrested them. At a hearing on Tuesday, a judge with the Circuit Court of Cook County ordered the sisters to be held without bond on charges of first-degree attempted murder.
“It’s the complete randomness of this. It’s terrifying,” Judge Mary C. Marubio said Tuesday in the hearing, which was live-streamed on YouTube, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

In Illinois, which has had more than 387,000 coronavirus cases and more than 9,800 deaths, a statewide mandate requires masks in public and while working.

The Chicago case is the latest incident of violent confrontations breaking out over mask rules. In September, an 80-year-old man in West Seneca, N.Y., died days after another man allegedly shoved him for asking him to wear a mask in a bar. A couple in Los Angeles was charged with murder in July after a confrontation with a maskless man turned deadly. A stabbing during a fight over masks at a grocery store in Eaton County, Mich., that same month resulted in two deaths.

When states first began lifting coronavirus lockdown measures in the summer, tensions around face masks had been mounting since the CDC first recommended them.

The altercation in Chicago began at around 6 p.m. Sunday, prosecutors said, when Jessica and Jayla Hill arrived at Snipes shoe store.

As the sisters argued with the 32-year-old guard, who has not been publicly identified, Jayla Hill took out her phone to record the confrontation, the Sun-Times

The sisters punched the guard, prosecutors said, and then Jessica allegedly took out a “comb knife” that had a hidden blade and started stabbing him.

Jessica stabbed him in the back, neck and arms, said Karie James, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department, while Jayla held on to the man’s hair. They then kicked him in the head and body, prosecutors allege, while the guard and the store’s manager begged the women to stop.

The sisters were arrested at about 6:15 p.m., according to police, and the security guard was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital. The guard was in critical condition, James told The Washington Post.

At the bond hearing on Tuesday, the sisters’ court-appointed attorney argued the first-degree attempted murder charges were too extreme because they were acting in self-defense and have bipolar disorder, according to the Chicago Tribune. The sisters have no criminal record.

The attorney also said the women had not planned to attack the guard. But the judge said she was concerned by the “sheer number” of stab wounds.

“This is just too random and quickly escalating,” Marubio said. “I can’t fashion conditions that would protect the community.”

The pair will return to court on Nov. 4, according to the Sun-Times.

I was hoping this was some white nonsense but Jayla sounds black. :(