The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Black Ambrosia

In petty Game of Thrones-esque tea, there's two sons who are competing with each other over who is going to take their fathers place as Rabbi over this giant congregation. The congregation has chosen sides, and word is that the first wedding that was caught by the city and shut down last month got the dime dropped on them by the brother whose wedding had the 7K and nobody snitched.

Neither brother wants to look soft, so what better way to show you're the "chosen one" than if G-d blesses your wedding with nobody (especially you) getting sick with Covid or less people getting sick than your no good un-chosen brother? If you, the chosen one, does get sick, then you go to a privately owned, state of the art Orthodox hospital where everybody is sworn to secrecy and wait it out.

They are all a bunch of Hebrew hillbilly's who likely voted for Trump for no other reason than Jared Kushner's Israel deal.

As a Jew, I'm not excusing none of this foolery and they all go get what they get but I can fill in the tea that you ain't go read about in the news. One thing I think people should really pay attention to is that while these folks are backwards as fornication, any group where seven thousand people plus all the hundreds of people it took to make the event happen can keep a secret is a force to be reckoned with. The only reason the first group got caught is that the most powerful person on team B dropped a dime for his own selfish reasons, but nobody dropped that dime on him.
What’s sad is that this is the next generation of leadership so there’ll be no improvement.

Evolving78

I'm trying to talk relatives out of flying cross country for Thanksgiving. These are all people in their late 30's and 40's so good and grown and they think this is a perfectly reasonable idea in a pandemic. I just don't understand what people are
I’m still trying to figure that out myself. I keep saying all of this is showing how folks minds work and what they believe in...

Black Ambrosia

On Sunday I went to a drive thru vehicle visitation. I had no idea what to expect but it's exactly what it sounds like. The funeral home has a "drive thru" where you pull up next to a glass enclosed room (like a sunroom). The open casket was on display with a few pictures and mementos. It sounds odd but it was very well done. Apparently this is a new service funeral homes are offering because of covid.

The funeral service was online yesterday. It was hard to tell how many people were there based on the camera angle but I'm guessing there were maybe 10-15 people. Mostly family members.

ETA: This is not the funeral home I went to but the set up is very similar. Not a great picture of the drive thru but it shows the glass enclosed room inside the covered drive thru area. There were programs and a receptacle for cards at the entrance of the drive thru.
1606236221365.png

Last edited:

Ms. Tarabotti

@ the bolded, I think they are about to find out. That said, the majority of the Ultra Orthodox sects are generally a pretty fit group because of dietary restrictions, lack of smoking and they do a whole lot of walking. So it's possible that a lot of Covid cases may not lead to a lot of Covid deaths. They are still ridiculous for risking it tho.
The problem with that is that you can't really predict who will be 'relatively fine' and who will die when a person gets Covid. People with underlying symptoms recover and people who were in good shape succumb to the illness. It's probable that there was a lot of overlap in the guests at the wedding so chances are that a whole lot of asymptomatic persons spread germs around both weddings. If you didn't get it at the first wedding, you probably picked something up at the second. And whether or not you die, you can be left with a whole variety of strange health problems that linger long after the illness is 'gone'.

Ms. Tarabotti

I'm trying to talk relatives out of flying cross country for Thanksgiving. These are all people in their late 30's and 40's so good and grown and they think this is a perfectly reasonable idea in a pandemic. I just don't understand what people are thinking.
I’m still trying to figure that out myself. I keep saying all of this is showing how folks minds work and what they believe in...

My sister is a professor and one of her former students and her family 'have' to travel for every holiday. During the early days of the pandemic, they were still traveling about. This includes going to states that NYC required a self quarantine when you returned if you had visited the state. One holiday they flew somewhere (I forgot which state) but then hurriedly drove back to NYC when it looked like Gov. Cuomo was going to place restrictions on travel (because the family didn't want to tell their respective jobs that they visited a restricted state) :mad:

In late October, early November, three out of the four family members came down with COVID. Two had relatively mild cases ( which was lucky because one of them is a diabetic). The other member has the classic symptoms of COVID- extreme fatigue, raised temperature, loss of smell and taste and a rash. They just cancelled a Thanksgiving trip to Boston :eek:. They still would have traveled to Boston if the other member didn't have a severe case. So instead of sitting at home continuing to recover from COVID, they were willing to travel to another state to spread their germs because their 'need' to travel outweighs their common sense. :(:mad:

You can take all the precautions in the world when traveling but all it takes is for one idiot not to have followed the rules before hand for you to get sick.

Black Ambrosia

These people weren't around so it didn't affect them. And if we don't know anything else, we know that some folks don't care about these things until it touches them personally.
And the human body is resilient. Those who don't think it's fake, believe they'll be fine. It's always some other person that has to do deal with the consequences - at least in their minds.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Why are people forgetting about the Spanish Flu of 1918? Why haven’t we learned from that catastrophic event?
It's too far in the "distant" past for them. And there are very few people even living who went through it - and they were babies then. This is why people are so detached from it. Personally I've been reading and watching as much as I can about - how did they fix it, where did it come from, masks? (Btw, they acted the same stupid way about masks then as they do now - protests and all!)

Everything Zen

My aunt- 60 yo (extended family) who is a nurse caught Covid earlier this year. Fortunately it was a mild case but she exposed her newborn grandchild and several children in different states visiting them. Guess who was planning on flying out for Thanksgiving to be with one of her daughters? I don’t know what happened but the trip was canceled. My other aunt and uncle (late 70s) go out to eat regularly to places that don’t enforce mask wearing. All black folks. This pandemic has everyone exposing their hind parts just as bad if not worse than all the black Trump supporters you never knew existed in your life.

shahala

I’m getting sick and tired of some relatives and friends taunting me about being cautious. In their minds, I should be carefree and hanging out because I was sick already. One cousin even told me that I was sick enough that my immunity should last longer, so what am I afraid of. But who knows how long that will last. And even though I am fully recovered, I never want to experience pain like that ever again, so I’m still being extremely cautious.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
The problem with that is that you can't really predict who will be 'relatively fine' and who will die when a person gets Covid. People with underlying symptoms recover and people who were in good shape succumb to the illness. It's probable that there was a lot of overlap in the guests at the wedding so chances are that a whole lot of asymptomatic persons spread germs around both weddings. If you didn't get it at the first wedding, you probably picked something up at the second. And whether or not you die, you can be left with a whole variety of strange health problems that linger long after the illness is 'gone'.
You are preaching to the choir. The only reason I mention the health aspect is these same people been squeezing into synagogues and every other regular thing they participate in every week since the pandemic began. I can guarantee you that every person at this wedding was sitting shoulder to shoulder in almost 7 days worth of High Holy Day services in September. I'm guessing their K-12 kids school year has been uninterrupted as well. The herd has probably thinned out but the hassids don't seem to be dropping like flies but it could be time for their luck to run out.

Last edited:

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
We don't think history is important. We really don't. I was a history major in college and in US history classes my professor always spent at least a week talking about this.

I majored in African History and used to be mocked for it by my peers, while working at Ikea to pay for my studies. All of them were opting for Marketing or whatever, cause...cheddar.

Will never forget what my professor of Religion told us: "The very major y'all have chosen, is a defiance to the status quo that says that one is supposed to choose a major that will guarantee a 6-figure salary. Instead of one that could potentially change the world."

Needless to say, she didn't last very long at our Alma Mater.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
One of my coworkers came back today after her 2 week COVID quarantine. We were really surprised she had it as she's super careful at work and always wears her mask. Turns out, her family members aren't as strict and her sibling was patient zero for everyone in the house. She believes the sibling got it from the church that was used as their polling place on election day. She said she never had a fever but the cough, pain, and fatigue were near unbearable. She lost her sense of taste and that was the worst because she could still smell food but it all tasted like cardboard.

She's wearing her mask and seems okay today but I'm staying working on my side of the room until my vacation.

yamilee21

.... So it's possible that a lot of Covid cases may not lead to a lot of Covid deaths. ...
Oh, they have already lost a ton of people; something like 70-80 rabbis just among the Hasidic population, in addition to hundreds within the communities. Ironically the Teitelbaum brothers of the feuding Satmar sect at issue had “reconciled” to great fanfare when their other brother and one of their wives were gravely ill with Covid in the spring. The other brother survived, after spending 2 1/2 months hospitalized, much of it on a ventilator. So it has hit home repeatedly at the highest level for them, but they still don’t care.

ScorpioBeauty09

I found out yesterday that one of my sister's friends from HS (they're in college now) caught COVID while studying abroad during the spring semester. She got sick before the world knew what this was. She was able to get home despite Trump's travel ban to Europe but had to travel with a respirator. She's a long hauler and does not have the same mobility she used to have. Her body, and personality has completely changed.

A friend of mine in another state caught COVID when she and her housemates had a house party and more people showed up than they expected. A guest later tested positive, so they all got tested and came up positive too, including her SO. She has all the symptoms, no taste or smell, difficulty breathing, etc. She was planning to visit her family for the holidays but not anymore.

SO's uncles in another part of our state have gotten very lax and started having house parties. Normally SO and his mom like to visit them for the holidays but not this year. I feel bad for SO's sister and her partner because they live with the uncles but have basically barricaded themselves in their room to avoid contact with them. Nor will they be coming up here.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Oh, they have already lost a ton of people; something like 70-80 rabbis just among the Hasidic population, in addition to hundreds within the communities. Ironically the Teitelbaum brothers of the feuding Satmar sect at issue had “reconciled” to great fanfare when their other brother and one of their wives were gravely ill with Covid in the spring. The other brother survived, after spending 2 1/2 months hospitalized, much of it on a ventilator. So it has hit home repeatedly at the highest level for them, but they still don’t care.
Because I'm probably a terrible person, my first thought was the bolded wasn't a deterrent because that's just a whole bunch of job openings for dudes who been waiting in the clutch to lead a congregation since they were 13.

yamilee21

Because I'm probably a terrible person, my first thought was the bolded wasn't a deterrent because that's just a whole bunch of job openings for dudes who been waiting in the clutch to lead a congregation since they were 13.
Well... that actually appears more than once in the comments section of various Hasidic/Hasidic-adjacent online forums and media. :look:

Kanky

I’m getting sick and tired of some relatives and friends taunting me about being cautious. In their minds, I should be carefree and hanging out because I was sick already. One cousin even told me that I was sick enough that my immunity should last longer, so what am I afraid of. But who knows how long that will last. And even though I am fully recovered, I never want to experience pain like that ever again, so I’m still being extremely cautious.

People have been reinfected with second cases more serious than the first.