The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

dancinstallion

Sadly it's not. It's just amazing these people weren't infected a year ago. You can't tell me they risked it for a cat. They been reckless the whole time and it just caught up to them.

Here's an article from People.

A birthday party thrown for a pet cat led to a COVID-19 outbreak that infected over a dozen people.

According to The Sun and Newsweek, who cited local reports, the birthday party for the feline took place in the town of Santo Domingo, Chile, and all ten guests tested positive for COVID-19 afterwards. The attendees also infected five additional family members and friends.

Francisco Alvarez, Valparaiso regional secretary of the Ministry of Health (SEREMI), reportedly confirmed the outbreak in a public statement and said that he did not believe the story when he first heard the news.

"When I heard it was a cat's birthday party I thought it was a joke, that they were probably trying to hide something, but indeed it was," said Alvarez, according to The Sun. He added, "We have corroborated it with at least six of the 15 [infected] people who told us the same thing."

Alvarez also reportedly confirmed that the cat never tested positive for the virus. "It was the birthday organiser, the owner, she was patient zero," he said.
But as prior studies have shown, cats can indeed contract COVID-19. Last April, two felines in New York tested positive for the virus and became the first known pets in the United States to be infected with COVID-19.

However, the CDC and USDA said in a statement at the time that "there is no evidence that pets play a role in spreading the virus in the United States." The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council echoed that sentiment in their own statement.

In Alvarez's public statement, he said that he is struggling to comprehend why residents are continuing to hold social gatherings despite strict warnings not to from the government amid the pandemic.

"It's complicated and it's a little incomprehensible, especially considering that what we have said in every way and emphasised is that if people are going to meet, they need to take safety measures," he said, according to the Daily Mail.

As of Monday, Jan. 25, at least 703,178 people in Chile have tested positive for COVID-19, while nearly 18,000 people have died from the virus, according to the New York Times coronavirus database.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html

I just knew it was the host that spread it to everybody. She knew she had it and wanted everybody else that she invited to catch it. When being nice goes wrong because all of the guests should have told the crazy cat lady No, we won't be attending a cats birthday party, in the first place.

Anyone that invites me to a party and I find out that the person has covid, then I would take it as a sign that you dont like me and wish to do me harm.

OhTall1

Oklahoma trying to return its $2m stockpile of hydroxychloroquine​

January 26, 2021
The Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office has been tasked with attempting to return a $2 million stockpile of a malaria drug once touted by former President Donald Trump as a way to treat the coronavirus.

OPIOID TRIAL RULING

The Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office has been tasked with attempting to return a $2 million stockpile of a malaria drug once touted by former President Donald Trump as a way to treat the coronavirus.

In April, Gov. Kevin Stitt, who ordered the hydroxychloroquine purchase, defended it by saying that while it may not be a useful treatment for the coronavirus, the drug had multiple other uses and “that money will not have gone to waste in any respect.”

But nearly a year later the state is trying to offload the drug back to its original supplier, California-based FFF Enterprises, Inc, a private pharmaceutical wholesaler.

Alex Gerszewski, a spokesman for Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter, told The Frontier this week that the AG’s office was working with the state health department “to try to figure out a solution.”

Gerszewski said Hunter’s office had gotten involved at the request of the Oklahoma State Department of Health.

Stitt was criticized last year for the $2 million purchase, a move viewed by some as a partisan move to curry favor with conservatives who were defending Trump amid criticism of his own support of the drug. But Stitt defended the purchase at the time by likening it to the race early last year to procure personal protective equipment for Oklahomans, believing it was better to have the hydroxychloroquine stockpile and not need it, rather than to later learn the drug was useful but not have it.

Stitt’s spokeswoman Carly Atchison told The Frontier this week that “Every decision the Governor makes is with the health and lives of Oklahomans in mind, including purchasing hydroxychloroquine, securing PPE, and now distributing vaccines as quickly and efficiently as possible to combat this COVID crisis.”

The state purchased the hydroxychloroquine stockpile in early April, days after Trump began to tout it as a treatment. While many acknowledged at the time that reports of the drug’s effectiveness were purely anecdotal, Trump said at a briefing in March, “What do we have to lose? I feel very good about it.”

Health officials nationwide immediately began to caution people against using the drug, throwing water on the idea that it could cure a coronavirus infection and cautioning that it could have serious side effects, including irregular heart rhythms and even the possibility of death. The drug was ultimately discredited as a treatment option and the National Institute of Health released a report in November that the drug had “no clinical benefit to hospitalized patients.”

Though more than 20 states ultimately bought hydroxychloroquine drugs for potential use against COVID-19, Oklahoma, along with Utah, was one of only two states who purchased the drug from private wholesalers, according to the Associated Press.

Stitt wasn’t alone in his support of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for the coronavirus. In August, Rep. Justin Humphrey, R-Lane, promoted hydroxychloroquine as a viable treatment after he had contracted COVID-19.

Though the drug had been widely discredited at that point, Humphrey, who has recently made news for seeking to establish a Bigfoot hunting season in Oklahoma and made waves in 2017 when he referred to pregnant women as “hosts,” encouraged Oklahomans to “take courage and begin treating COVID with Hydroxychloroquine.”

It’s unclear yet how much of the initial $2 million investment in the hydroxychloroquine the state could recoup. FFF Enterprises did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

OhTall1

naturalgyrl5199

I thought I was dreaming. But I continue to have little bombs dropped on me. In Florida, Birth and Death certificates go through the health Dept. My employer.

My colleague who works in vital statistics confirmed that the funeral directors are picking up death certificates 20+ at a time. They usually buy them 1-2 at a time. When I was responsible for doing temperatures at the door one week I saw my favorite fly funeral director guy come in every day that week. That was May. It was chilling, because if you know Funeral Directors by face, their presence feels like the Grim Reaper has arrived. Their presence means one thing. Our HD is next to a graveyard...and I said upthread that that graveyard looks busier than ever. She (my vital statistics person) also confirmed that funeral directors said gravesites owned by the city are closed. The one next to me is private and charging an extra $800 (yes price gouging) to take burials as they have the space... The 2 owned by the city are closed because open plots filled up quickly this year and any unused plots were pre-purchased. So they literally have no space. (MARK THIS POST YA'LL). Cash strapped families usually use the city owned ones.

No one is talking about all the deaths anymore---just vaccines. News space can only fit so much into a trendy news cycle. When someone can't bury their loved one ---and the person has enough pull and a big enough mouth, then we MIGHT learn. But when this thing finally dies down....you'll see how this thing really killed a lot of people. I keep hearing about mortuary trucks and all that stuff due to space...I didn't suspect it in the city DeSantis lays his head. (1 mile from my job and the gravesite)

Black Ambrosia

I thought I was dreaming. But I continue to have little bombs dropped on me. In Florida, Birth and Death certificates go through the health Dept. My employer.

My colleague who works in vital statistics confirmed that the funeral directors are picking up death certificates 20+ at a time. They usually buy them 1-2 at a time. When I was responsible for doing temperatures at the door one week I saw my favorite fly funeral director guy come in every day that week. That was May. It was chilling, because if you know Funeral Directors by face, their presence feels like the Grim Reaper has arrived. Their presence means one thing. Our HD is next to a graveyard...and I said upthread that that graveyard looks busier than ever. She (my vital statistics person) also confirmed that funeral directors said gravesites owned by the city are closed. The one next to me is private and charging an extra $800 (yes price gouging) to take burials as they have the space... The 2 owned by the city are closed because open plots filled up quickly this year and any unused plots were pre-purchased. So they literally have no space. (MARK THIS POST YA'LL). Cash strapped families usually use the city owned ones.

No one is talking about all the deaths anymore---just vaccines. News space can only fit so much into a trendy news cycle. When someone can't bury their loved one ---and the person has enough pull and a big enough mouth, then we MIGHT learn. But when this thing finally dies down....you'll see how this thing really killed a lot of people. I keep hearing about mortuary trucks and all that stuff due to space...I didn't suspect it in the city DeSantis lays his head. (1 mile from my job and the gravesite)
I'm not surprised. I remember how bad it was in Detroit back in March. My cousin is the director for a chain of funeral homes and they were turning away people because they didn't have space for the bodies. The crematory they used was backed up. The hospitals were stacking bodies in empty rooms because the morgue was full. This is in addition to the refrigerator trucks. I noticed that these same stories are rarely heard as covid spread nationwide but it makes sense that the experience would be the same.

Black Ambrosia

I remember a story about covid spreading through a building in China via the bathroom ductwork. I've also heard about covid being found in the waste water here so I'm sure this is a viable testing option. It might even be more comfortable. I just hate that I'd be exposing myself to strangers and sticking my behind out the car. If it's more accurate, it's probably coming our way soon.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

89 foreigners, including US citizens, arrested at Thai bar flouting COVID-19 rules​

BANGKOK – Police raided a party at a bar on a popular resort island in southern Thailand and arrested 89 foreigners for violating coronavirus regulations, officials said Wednesday.

The Tuesday night raid on the Three Sixty Bar on Koh Phangan also led to the arrest of 22 Thais, including one identified as the bar’s owner and another who sold drinks there, said police Col. Suparerk Pankosol, superintendent of the provincial immigration office. He said the gathering was illegal under a national state of emergency declared last March to combat the coronavirus. Those arrested were from more than 10 countries, including the U.S., Britain, Switzerland and Denmark, Suparerk said. Photos of the raid distributed by police showed a dark, crowded room with casually dressed partygoers, almost all wearing face masks.

Koh Phangan in Surat Thani province is a popular destination for young backpacking travelers and is known especially for its all-night Full Moon beach parties. However, Thailand has barred virtually all tourists from entering the country since last April. 7,000 US, Canada flights have had COVID exposures. The US doesn't share detailsCOVID-19 travel restrictions by state: See testing, quarantine requirements.

There have been 29 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Surat Thani out of a national total of 15,465. However, 11 of the 29 cases have been found in the last month as Thailand experienced a resurgence of the disease. The penalty for violating the state of emergency is up to two years’ imprisonment and a fine of up to $1,330. The bar owner and worker could also be charged with violating the Communicable Disease Act, punishable by a one-year prison term and a fine of up to $3,330.

Suparerk said the arrested people were being held at the Koh Phangan police station, where investigators were preparing documents to charge them.
He said police had tracked the party plans on social media, where the bar was promoting the event to celebrate its fifth anniversary. Entry tickets were $3.30, with food and drink extra.
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-ga...hts-hotels-cruises-trains-camping/3221104001/
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-ga...hts-hotels-cruises-trains-camping/3221104001/

TrulyBlessed

For those unfortunate to have lost loved ones and close friends during this pandemic did you attend the funeral in person or just virtually if available? Lately I’ve been witnessing good friends lose parents who I’ve been really close to since early childhood. I really want to attend the services but this stupid virus and I have underlying health conditions. Although most seem understanding about this pandemic in general, there’s pressure and expectation I feel to attend and I feel like I will be hated for not showing up. This upcoming funeral is out of town too and if not for the pandemic I would definitely be among the first in town. Do you find most people are understanding if you didn’t attend in person? I’m trying to come up with as many ways possible to show support and make sure my friend feels loved and supported in this new reality she’s faced with.

meka72

For those unfortunate to have lost loved ones and close friends during this pandemic did you attend the funeral in person or just virtually if available? Lately I’ve been witnessing good friends lose parents who I’ve been really close to since early childhood. I really want to attend the services but this stupid virus and I have underlying health conditions. Although most seem understanding about this pandemic in general, there’s pressure and expectation I feel to attend and I feel like I will be hated for not showing up. This upcoming funeral is out of town too and if not for the pandemic I would definitely be among the first in town. Do you find most people are understanding if you didn’t attend in person? I’m trying to come up with as many ways possible to show support and make sure my friend feels loved and supported in this new reality she’s faced with.
I attended two funerals virtually and one funeral in person. I’ve definitely found that people are understanding that people can’t attend. When my friend’s dad passed away, I bought dinner for her family and they seemed to appreciate that.

yamilee21

For those unfortunate to have lost loved ones and close friends during this pandemic did you attend the funeral in person or just virtually if available? ... Do you find most people are understanding if you didn’t attend in person? ...
We recently lost a close family member. In normal times, because of his stature in the community, the funeral would probably have had hundreds of people. Because of Covid, it ended up being fairly small, mostly just the closest local family and a few friends. I think we were all touched enough by the many people who joined online, even though it wasn’t a particularly special service. Earlier on, another close relative died, in Canada. The immediate family postponed the service, hoping that we could have a real funeral with everyone together before the end of the summer. Of course, the border still has not reopened, so they ended up having the funeral without most of the people who would have attended. Everyone is doing what they can right now; anyone not understanding of someone’s inability to attend a funeral in-person doesn’t have the right priorities. It’s more important to reach out afterward; the loss of traditional rituals makes it harder to have a feeling of closure.

Black Ambrosia

I just learned that a mentor and dear friend passed last night. As far as I know he wasn't tested for covid but he had the telltale overwhelming tiredness and shortness of breath after walking a short distance. People who saw him just the week before said he was doing fine.

Also found out that a good friend's teenage daughter just tested positive. The rest of the family will be tested on Monday. They're all quarantining.

vevster

I just learned that a mentor and dear friend passed last night. As far as I know he wasn't tested for covid but he had the telltale overwhelming tiredness and shortness of breath after walking a short distance. People who saw him just the week before said he was doing fine.
Also found out that a good friend's teenage daughter just tested positive. The rest of the family will be tested on Monday. They're all quarantining.
The loss of life is so overwhelming.

Last edited: