The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
This lady is a funeral home owner in Los Angeles. She is always calm, cool, collected and level-headed. But in this video she states,
"The corpses don't lie. The sheer staggering amount of corpses, don't lie."

Our Funeral Home is Overwhelmed with Bodies
Caitlyn Doughty Ask a Mortician

Those 'bodies' she's talking about, I would surmise to be mostly black and brown bodies. Many of which are from underserved, poor communities without health care coverage. People are dying in their homes because there is no room in the hospitals. Ambulances may come and answer a call, but literally drive in circles around the city because there is no space in the hospitals. Bodies sit in the house, with a policeman, until SOMEBODY can come and pick up the dead loved one. This is in Los Angeles in 2021.

Los Angeles crematoriums are running day and night. Because there is a staggering amount of dead people who died from Covid, in the city.

Black Ambrosia

This lady is a funeral home owner in Los Angeles. She is always calm, cool, collected and level-headed. But in this video she states,

Those 'bodies' she's talking about, I would surmise to be mostly black and brown bodies. Many of which are from underserved, poor communities without health care coverage. People are dying in their homes because there is no room in the hospitals. Ambulances may come and answer a call, but literally drive in circles around the city because there is no space in the hospitals. Bodies sit in the house, with a policeman, until SOMEBODY can come and pick up the dead loved one. This is in Los Angeles in 2021.

Los Angeles crematoriums are running day and night. Because there is a staggering amount of dead people who died from Covid, in the city.
That was a really good video. I'm going to subscribe to her channel. It boggles the mind that everything is reopening when things are so much worse now than they where when they started lockdown. And the CDC recommending schools re-open ignores the risk to the adults. Even if it's safe with masks in place there's still lunch time and no one will be wearing masks then. idk if that's been addressed but that's my concern.

sunshinebeautiful

That was a really good video. I'm going to subscribe to her channel. It boggles the mind that everything is reopening when things are so much worse now than they where when they started lockdown. And the CDC recommending schools re-open ignores the risk to the adults. Even if it's safe with masks in place there's still lunch time and no one will be wearing masks then. idk if that's been addressed but that's my concern.

I'm guessing they're looking at lunch time the same way as restaurants. People sit inside together and eat with masks off. Then put masks back on after their meal. I know folks are out here eating together indoors in restaurants but it's still a no for me.

sunshinebeautiful

This is bad. Really bad. And at the end of the video with the lifting of stay at home orders, which going to lead to more spread and more bodies piling up? :nono:

SoniT

I'm guessing they're looking at lunch time the same way as restaurants. People sit inside together and eat with masks off. Then put masks back on after their meal. I know folks are out here eating together indoors in restaurants but it's still a no for me.
It's still a no for me too. My coworkers and I have to go into the office one day next week and my manager said that we can all have lunch together afterwards. I'm like "What? I'm not taking my mask off and eating around these people." :nono:

meka72

Just found out that four more extended family members had covid, a great aunt, her boyfriend, her daughter and her pregnant granddaughter. Daughter kept it quiet (but posts everything else to social media). Perhaps because she had a baby shower that morphed from a drive-by baby shower into an in-person baby shower with food. :mad: Daughter also allegedly received both her vaccines because she works for a government hospital and no one suspected that she had covid, which is why she went ahead with the baby shower. Allegedly. Luckily everyone recovered.

naturalgyrl5199

I posted about the increase in Funeral Home directors picking up death certificates from my job just a few days ago. They used to come 1-2 times a week but its daily. I'm gonna corner one and ask questions.
We are also experiencing a shortage of public burial plots. There are none.
So private plots are price gouging to the tune of $800 above market.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I posted about the increase in Funeral Home directors picking up death certificates from my job just a few days ago. They used to come 1-2 times a week but its daily. I'm gonna corner one and ask questions.
We are also experiencing a shortage of public burial plots. There are none.
So private plots are price gouging to the tune of $800 above market.
Yes, I read your post!

naturalgyrl5199

My friend got COVID and came by my office a couple of weeks ago to pick up a letter so she can get back to work. I had to pull some strings to help her with some red tape. Meanwhile she tries to walk up on me...(she says she was COVID-free)....I kept a nice distance and gave her an "Air hug." She complained that her boss "tried her" and assume she is anti-mask---but she isn't. But she felt ridiculed and felt bad. However she took too many things for granted:
1. She still attends gatherings and ppl house.
2. She went to a "close girlfriend's house" and of course, they were mask-less because she "trusts her."
3. A week later....she is sick. Doesn't know why. Its cold here though. Could have been allergies or regular cold.
4. "Trusted homegirl" was hanging out with friends with ASYMPTOMATIC COVID. She was only made aware when another friend outside their circle who SHE had been mask-less around (who was also asymptomatic) got it from someone else.
5. So this 3rd person, called my friend's "trusted friend" who then called MY FRIEND to tell her the news....she tests and ends up positive with a rapid test.

All these were ASYMPTOMATIC mask-less spread. They all recovered....but my friend was out of work for over a month with no pay. Her kids had to quarantine (She didn't get them tested)....she DID get a bit sick---her hubby was her nursemaid and he refused to isolate or sleep somewhere else. So he was quarantined too. I suspect she went back to work before he recovered... :(
She is in education/guidance counselor, so she can return to work as long as she is symptom free for so many days.

Black Ambrosia

Also found out that a good friend's teenage daughter just tested positive. The rest of the family will be tested on Monday. They're all quarantining.
Found out everyone in the family except my friend’s husband is positive. She’s frustrated and angry at not being able to determine how they got it. They’ve been taking precautions but idk how diligently. The daughter went to school for a few hours recently for testing and a mock trial but everyone was wearing a mask. Thankfully they seem to be ok. They’re fatigued but improving.

yamilee21

The above is why I'm now wearing 2 masks. A 3-ply surgical "type" mask under a thick cloth one I had been using. I went out with them for the first time this weekend and it was absolutely fine, breathable and comfortable. I keep my shield in the car just in case. I was pleased to see a few people out double-masked as well.
We barely leave the house, but we have been double-masking since early December, when I noticed the cases skyrocketing. It’s crazy that there are still shortages of N95 masks - there is no reason why a country as wealthy and developed as the United States cannot make those masks available to everyone.

mensa

Yes, why are they giving in to the pressure from these white folks to re-open things when there are new variants from covid-19 that have been discovered?!?!?!?!?!?

Alta Angel

We have had 3 teachers die in my district and the community, school board, and superintendent DO NOT CARE. They want us to take these kids, so that they can go to work. We are being as safe as possible. I have a barrier in my room so that students cannot come up to me. I wear a mask and googles (at times). I spray the room at each class change and use sanitizer regularly. This year has given me food for thought. There is no way that I will teach F2F students and virtual students at the same time during a freaking pandemic again. I am wiped out.

naturalgyrl5199

Sigh
We lost my father in law today. We think he passed in his sleep early in the morning. My brother in law went to check on him and he heard him coughing, but he settled down and he went back to snoring. Hours later when he went to get his breakfast going and to wake him (they had therapy later for him) he noticed he was cold.
My father in law was very sick. We don't think its COVID-19 related. He didn't really go anywhere. In 2016 he'd had a stroke hours before he was to walk his daughter down the aisle, and had been stabilized, wheelchair bound but was wearing away. He lived a full life for sure, and was a Vietnam Veteran. My husband is broken hearted. My 7 yr old daughter had to interrupt me to tell me between weeping with a client who was going through the wildest, saddest crisis of her own, and calling my staff on site to get this family some help. My own father was absolutely confused at me screaming into the phone because he and my husband just got off the phone 20 minutes prior--and he told MY dad, that HIS dad was fine as of last night......Between the military and some super rich family friends who went down to the funeral home to pay for everything, everything is done. Friend didn't have to pay for anything. They have purchased us a stay at one of their really nice hotels. They lost their mother in 2018 a few weeks after had our last baby. She was sick herself trying to be her husband's caretaker. I believe that loss slowed down his recovery really bad. He loved her deeply. They were married 47 years. I'm hurting for my husband who now has no parents on earth. Hurting for baby brother in law who found him and had to deal with having him moved (took 2 hours for them to come, so the Fire Dept stayed with him) and having to deal with it. Hurting for my sister in law who was the oldest. Pray for us.

naturalgyrl5199

We have had 3 teachers die in my district and the community, school board, and superintendent DO NOT CARE. They want us to take these kids, so that they can go to work. We are being as safe as possible. I have a barrier in my room so that students cannot come up to me. I wear a mask and googles (at times). I spray the room at each class change and use sanitizer regularly. This year has given me food for thought. There is no way that I will teach F2F students and virtual students at the same time during a freaking pandemic again. I am wiped out.
I'm so angry for you and those teachers. Teachers and educators really deserve better. My 1st grader was told yesterday she is reading at a 4th grade level. I got the email from the teacher yesterday morning. If I could jump through the computer (daughter is doing digital), I would hug and kiss that lady....

mensa

Sigh
We lost my father in law today. We think he passed in his sleep early in the morning. My brother in law went to check on him and he heard him coughing, but he settled down and he went back to snoring. Hours later when he went to get his breakfast going and to wake him (they had therapy later for him) he noticed he was cold.
My father in law was very sick. We don't think its COVID-19 related. He didn't really go anywhere. In 2016 he'd had a stroke hours before he was to walk his daughter down the aisle, and had been stabilized, wheelchair bound but was wearing away. He lived a full life for sure, and was a Vietnam Veteran. My husband is broken hearted. My 7 yr old daughter had to interrupt me to tell me between weeping with a client who was going through the wildest, saddest crisis of her own, and calling my staff on site to get this family some help. My own father was absolutely confused at me screaming into the phone because he and my husband just got off the phone 20 minutes prior--and he told MY dad, that HIS dad was fine as of last night......Between the military and some super rich family friends who went down to the funeral home to pay for everything, everything is done. Friend didn't have to pay for anything. They have purchased us a stay at one of their really nice hotels. They lost their mother in 2018 a few weeks after had our last baby. She was sick herself trying to be her husband's caretaker. I believe that loss slowed down his recovery really bad. He loved her deeply. They were married 47 years. I'm hurting for my husband who now has no parents on earth. Hurting for baby brother in law who found him and had to deal with having him moved (took 2 hours for them to come, so the Fire Dept stayed with him) and having to deal with it. Hurting for my sister in law who was the oldest. Pray for us.
Love, I will indeed pray for you all.

God be with you.

PatDM'T

Sigh
I am so sorry.

Sending hugs
and prayers for
comfort and
direction.

vevster

Found out everyone in the family except my friend’s husband is positive. She’s frustrated and angry at not being able to determine how they got it. They’ve been taking precautions but idk how diligently. The daughter went to school for a few hours recently for testing and a mock trial but everyone was wearing a mask. Thankfully they seem to be ok. They’re fatigued but improving.
A mask is not a guarantee --- the virus is airborne. Sunny Hostin's in laws both got it and they have no idea....

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

The above is why I'm now wearing 2 masks. A 3-ply surgical "type" mask under a thick cloth one I had been using. I went out with them for the first time this weekend and it was absolutely fine, breathable and comfortable. I keep my shield in the car just in case. I was pleased to see a few people out double-masked as well.

I only go out to the grocery store and to run errands and stuff, but I started double masking a few weeks ago too. I've seen too much foolery with people "wearing" masks with their nose out and other stuff. Nope. Don't trust em at all.

Everything Zen

Sigh
I just saw this and my heart breaks for you. I am so very sorry for your loss and will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

naturalgyrl5199

Thanks Ladies.

COVID-stuff: I'm at this hotel thanks to a family friend for a week. I think Hubby just wants to be near family. He has a 2nd cousin our age and they are as paranoid as we are with the masks, sanitizer, health prevention...double masking. But lordt...it IS Central FL and people here are reluctantly masking up. There is a Cornhole event (well 'was' over the weekend) and all the tru mpers are out. They wear the masks because the hotel demands it. The staff are double masked but these folks are big mad. They have lots of cleaning and sanitizing in place so that feels good. Hilton brand is on it. The stores here are on it.

non-COVID stuff: I'm limiting the social media discussion aspect and just keeping my mind busy with non-important things since my boss insists that I DO NOT WORK and even threatened my whole unit to not say anything work-related to me. I'm just looking at interior design stuff, planning/journaling and keeping the kids busy. I have enough on my plate. We have the little one doing Digital from the Hotel and its been a good day so far. Rather than have her take a week off, I think that was best. Her teacher knows and was excited to see her. Her friends asked "where she was at" and they were all ooohs and ahhhs about her being at a hotel. Hubby's college friends have driven far and wide and took off work just to see him and check in on him and the siblings. So they're hanging around until the funeral Saturday. So we're all good here. Mentally we are good...just taking time. I'm cleaning but thats therapeutic for me. I appreciate all you guys' well-wishes.