The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

awhyley

Has this been posted as yet?

Rich Countries Signed Away a Chance to Vaccinate the World​

Despite warnings, American and European officials gave up leverage that could have guaranteed access for billions of people. That risks prolonging the pandemic.

In the coming days, a patent will finally be issued on a five-year-old invention, a feat of molecular engineering that is at the heart of at least five major Covid-19 vaccines. And the United States government will control that patent.
The new patent presents an opportunity — and some argue the last best chance — to exact leverage over the drug companies producing the vaccines and pressure them to expand access to less affluent countries. The question is whether the government will do anything at all.

The rapid development of Covid-19 vaccines, achieved at record speed and financed by massive public funding in the United States, the European Union and Britain, represents a great triumph of the pandemic. Governments partnered with drugmakers, pouring in billions of dollars to procure raw materials, finance clinical trials and retrofit factories. Billions more were committed to buy the finished product.
But this Western success has created stark inequity. Residents of wealthy and middle-income countries have received about 90 percent of the nearly 400 million vaccines delivered so far. Under current projections, many of the rest will have to wait years.

Growing numbers of health officials and advocacy groups worldwide are calling for Western governments to use aggressive powers — most of them rarely or never used before — to force companies to publish vaccine recipes, share their know-how and ramp up manufacturing. Public health advocates have pleaded for help, including asking the Biden administration to use its patent to push for broader vaccine access.

Governments have resisted. By partnering with drug companies, Western leaders bought their way to the front of the line. But they also ignored years of warnings — and explicit calls from the World Health Organization — to include contract language that would have guaranteed doses for poor countries or encouraged companies to share their knowledge and the patents they control.
“It was like a run on toilet paper. Everybody was like, ‘Get out of my way. I’m gonna get that last package of Charmin,’” said Gregg Gonsalves, a Yale epidemiologist. “We just ran for the doses.”

The prospect of billions of people waiting years to be vaccinated poses a health threat to even the richest countries. One example: In Britain, where the vaccine rollout has been strong, health officials are tracking a virus variant that emerged in South Africa, where vaccine coverage is weak. That variant may be able to blunt the effect of vaccines, meaning even vaccinated people might get sick.

<The story is super long, you can read the rest below>

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/21/...e6HWdOBS4F-35Jg8Bx578cnUuFwrhaCVUMVHSAWv9ywBU

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
My co-worker and her son were just diagnosed with COVID Thursday (her son) and she (today) after all this time. I honestly think they got careless and stopped following the rules...That was a strong reminder for me, not that I needed to be reminded.
My co-worker and her mother were diagnosed a few days ago. My co-worker says her mom got it from one of her clients who didn't tell her mom she tested positive although the client knew. :eek: Folks acting the fool out here, and I suspect that my co-worker is not the most diligent mask wearer. I'm grateful I work from home!

Last edited:

mensa

Tell her to get the J&J one. It doesn't use the mRNA technology. It's one dose and is more like usual vaccines. My mom had the same concern. We lucked out and were able to get the J&J last week.
I'm getting J&J as soon as my State offers it.

Did you or your mom experience any side-effects?

naturalgyrl5199

Yep, Spring Break out of control as usual. Hospitals bout to fill up again over there. Good luck (FL) ladies.
The kids left before spring break. The gag is there IS NO SPRING break. over 1/2 the Universities here technically cancelled spring break Including FAMU and FSU. The kids just left town and started attending class via ZOOM poolside and from their hotel rooms.

Let me clarify---The schools cancelled spring break and promised to let them finish the semester a week early--to avoid them leaving and bringing virus back. So I think many kids just left to celebrate some spring break anyway and are gonna finish school at home.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

Of course...

Of course....

the one "person" who declined to be vaccinated against COVID shut us down for a day to sanitize the office cause of course she got COVID. Of course....I was the one person she was in close contact with cause I let my guard down and sat next to her to do a phone interview for a potential candidate. Yes she was masked and I was DOUBLE masked (ya'll know I don't play). I'm not even considered a "close contact" because I was masked up. I don't have symptoms and was told to wait. I'm probably fine...but still. I wish she could pay the people she caused to lose work. Other than that 30 minutes at the office last Friday, I had not been to the office since the 12th. Now, all phone interviews are going to be 3 way. Stupid me....Ugh.

naturalgyrl5199

Did I tell ya'll about my friend's daughter who put the paws on her classmate? Her parents made her go to school even though she had severe symptoms, and then she was sent home. My friend's daughter and several other students got COVID. My friend's daughter, and my friend, and her grandfather got it as well. The grandfather almost died. When they were all better, she went right up to old girl and put the paws on her (with gloves---lol) cause she felt like they almost killed her grandfather. They are seniors in HS. Of course, the other child lacks melanin and of course her parents lack sense.

naturalgyrl5199

Tell her to get the J&J one. It doesn't use the mRNA technology. It's one dose and is more like usual vaccines. My mom had the same concern. We lucked out and were able to get the J&J last week.
The mRNA technology allows us to no longer need preservatives. We really want to advance PAST the "usual vaccines"

Remember, the mRNA technology is the "new tech" as the biggest complaint about traditional or "usual" vaccines was all the "extra stuff" they swear maims and kill children. Especially the Thimiserol which is Mercury-based.

The ingredients are majority lipids (fat), some sodium and phosphate based salts and the pieces of the mRNA....

https://www.goodrx.com/covid-19/ingredients-covid-19-vaccine
Key takeaways:

• The Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines use pieces of genetic material (mRNA) instead of virus particles to create an immune response.
  • The vaccines do not contain live virus, inactivated virus, or preservatives.
  • The genetic material in the COVID-19 vaccines falls apart naturally in a few days, after your body has had time to make antibodies against the SARS-CoV2 spike proteins.

Black Ambrosia

Did I tell ya'll about my friend's daughter who put the paws on her classmate? Her parents made her go to school even though she had severe symptoms, and then she was sent home. My friend's daughter and several other students got COVID. My friend's daughter, and my friend, and her grandfather got it as well. The grandfather almost died. When they were all better, she went right up to old girl and put the paws on her (with gloves---lol) cause she felt like they almost killed her grandfather. They are seniors in HS. Of course, the other child lacks melanin and of course her parents lack sense.
The only reason we aren’t hearing more about stuff like this is because contact tracing is such a joke. Lots of people would be catching hands if people could identify the reckless a$$holes who took out their family members. I’m not mad at all about it.

naturalgyrl5199

@naturalgyrl5199 So you think the mRNA vaccines are safer because they don’t include preservatives and mercury? Do you have any concerns about them?
mRNA is definitely the future.
Mercury is extremely dangerous. We encourage women to stop eating certain types of fish during pregnancy because there is way more mercury in those fish (naturally occurring due to ocean and sea contamination) than in traditional vaccines. And even the tiny amounts of mercury in traditional vaccines have affected a small % of vaccinated populations in varying ways. Injecting a few small fragments of DNA intramuscularly won't have an affect on YOUR actual DNA cause it doesn't work like that. The antibodies of a healthy person will immediately break it down and attack it thus the immune response. Immune response is GOOD. Means your body knows how to fight. Being that the mRNA is technically protein in nature....it is then DENATURED by the immune system (as it should) and the body removes it. Meanwhile, the BODY REMEMBERS and takes notes, and makes antibodies to that COVID-19 strain. In traditional vaccines, the preservatives basically are removed but I can imagine some scatters and causes God knows what kind of reaction in many. I have always been vaccinated and haven't had adverse reactions. Nor have my children. We are lucky. Soon, traditional vaccines with their chemicals (albeit minute) will be a thing of the past.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I know what the national guard does but I like to think context clues are my friend. If one mentally ill person in an unmarked van with a standard pistol could hijack 3 vans of them then my faith in their ability to "guard" is a little shook. What in the Top Flight Security hell happened here?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
This reminded me of a podcast I listened to about Typhoid Mary who never experienced any symptoms of Typhoid but infected 51 people.

sunshinebeautiful

Why you cannot
compare Covid-19
vaccines:

Really good video. Thanks for sharing. This is interesting... My BF and I both had COVID in mid-February. (I wasn't out and about at all except for grocery store runs... but he went out to hang with his cousin and that's where I believe he got it... then I did too :( ) I'm thankful that the vaccines are so effective at preventing hospitalization and death, but even the "moderate" symptoms I experienced.... yeah, I wouldn't want to go through that again. I was out for the count for about 2 weeks trying to recover.

Everything Zen

The thing I’m trying to explain to the trash of humanity that I’m a loser for caring for (we been in this for 11 years so it’s basically the sunk cost of throwing it away) is we’re actually winning. Like not just winning but WINNING WINNING BIGLY. :look: like on the precipice of wildest dreams and possibilities coming true for both of us.

In my case- I got a promo a couple of weeks ago on of the most highly valued program in the company and the CEO rewarded us with RSUs. I mean like some serious $$$$$ potential. I’m calling financial advisers and having lots of planning meetings. Why the :censored: would I want to take a gamble on COVID now of all times and risk long haul problems and mess all my :censored: up?

My attitude is

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I'm scheduled for my first shot on Saturday. :yahoo:No idea which one is being offered but given a choice I'd take the Pfizer first then Moderna (my mom had her first Moderna and gets her second shot tomorrow).
Moderna vaccine #1 received today. :birthday2:

Our governor, Ralph "Blackface" :giggle: Northam and his staff etc. are On. Point. They're using a closed Nordstrom in a local mall as the vaccine center for our area (15 min drive from my home). Floor 1 for 2nd dose, floor 2 for 1st dose. Lines set up like a customs entry at an airport but literally no wait. They gave appointments out for 15 minute windows online. Reps were set up directing folks to the right lines and right chairs etc. I had an 11:30 appt - got there at 11:15, was in and out in 30 min (15 minutes of which I spent post vaccine in their waiting area making sure I didn't have an adverse reaction.) I have to say I love my state/county. My boss on Friday is trying to get his scheduled in Boston - he said its a nightmare.

ETA - my 83 year old mom had her 2nd Moderna on Wednesday. Other than her arm hurting overnight and the next day (she said it felt like someone hit her arm with a barbell) she had no other reactions.

nycutiepie

Moderna vaccine #1 received today. :birthday2:

Our governor, Ralph "Blackface" :giggle: Northam and his staff etc. are On. Point. They're using a closed Nordstrom in a local mall as the vaccine center for our area (15 min drive from my home). Floor 1 for 2nd dose, floor 2 for 1st dose. Lines set up like a customs entry at an airport but literally no wait. They gave appointments out for 15 minute windows online. Reps were set up directing folks to the right lines and right chairs etc. I had an 11:30 appt - got there at 11:15, was in and out in 30 min (15 minutes of which I spent post vaccine in their waiting area making sure I didn't have an adverse reaction.) I have to say I love my state/county. My boss on Friday is trying to get his scheduled in Boston - he said its a nightmare.

ETA - my 83 year old mom had her 2nd Moderna on Wednesday. Other than her arm hurting overnight and the next day (she said it felt like someone hit her arm with a barbell) she had no other reactions.
Great News!! I got Moderna too and get my 2nd dose 4/5. My 90 year old mom gets her 2nd dose 4/9.

Ms. Tarabotti

The article is too long to post. It's about tourists who went to Mexico, got stranded because one of the party tested positive for the virus and are now complaining about the CDC rules concerning traveling and quarantines. Ya'll should have stayed home.

I have been busy so I have been away from the site for a while. The last time my sisters ex students family (the ones that need to travel for every holiday and whose daughter was still having lingering effects from her bout with Covid) flew to Florida, they were stopped at the airport by the health department and told they needed to quarantine at home for the required time. Hey, they decided the rules didn't apply to them so some members continued to go to work. This time though, the health dept. sent workers around to check if they were at home. Some members weren't so it they tried not answering the door. I'll have to remember to ask my sister what happened after that.

New York loosened some of the restrictions surrounding the vaccination so I am looking around for sites. Technically I could have gotten it earlier because my place of work reopened to the public on a limited basis (although my office is still closed to the public). I'm trying for the Pfizer vaccination.

TrulyBlessed

I received dose 1 of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Symptoms have been injection site arm pain which is feeling much better now and about 28 hours later the low grade fever, muscle aches and headache has kicked in. My cycle started yesterday too so that could be a contributing factor. I’m just taking it easy with soups, fluids and rest. Will probably pop a Tylenol before bed. I react similarly to flu shots so I expected to have some side effects. Also, I felt slightly nauseous right after receiving the vaccine but that lasted no more than 20-30 minutes. My parents received the same vaccine a day before me and they’re feeling great.

Eta: 72 hours later I’m feeling good as new.

Last edited: