The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
I really don't understand the experimental/not approved line if the same people also take vitamins.

I know darn well people not thoroughly researching Mane Choice Hair Skin and Nail vitamins, Mielle's growth drops or a new Etsy shop's rice water serum before ingesting or applying to their scalps.

Companies started stuffing elderberry and zinc together real quick this past year. They like Oprah. You get an immunity vitamin. You get an immunity vitamin. You get an immunity vitamin.

From the FDA website:

Who is responsible for the safety of dietary supplements?​

FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed.

The manufacturers and distributors of dietary supplements are responsible for making sure their products are safe BEFORE they go to market.

If the dietary supplement contains a NEW ingredient, manufacturers must notify FDA about that ingredient prior to marketing. However, the notification will only be reviewed by FDA (not approved) and only for safety, not effectiveness.

Manufacturers are required to produce dietary supplements in a quality manner and ensure that they do not contain contaminants or impurities, and are accurately labeled according to current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) and labeling regulations.

If a serious problem associated with a dietary supplement occurs, manufacturers must report it to FDA as an adverse event. FDA can take dietary supplements off the market if they are found to be unsafe or if the claims on the products are false and misleading.

ETA: I take a multivitamin, vitamin D, zinc and iron with zero reservations.

Last edited:

MomofThreeBoys

I have 2 teams in India and I’m trying to talk to each one of them individually to see how they are holding up. A grown man cried on the phone with me today y’all. Another said he jumps when his phone pings because people have been dying left and right in his apartment complex and they get notifications. He’s pretty much locked himself in the apartment with his wife and kids for weeks and only goes out for groceries I feel so bad.

vevster

What's a "major vaccine"? You mean to tell me all these first and second doses are not "major" enough?

Like the flu, COVID won't be wiped out anytime soon or ever. This has been in the works and is here to stay. But don't mind me, keep injecting away.

View attachment 471683
I just saw a report where an expert said he is seeing COVID in fully vaccinated folks. The virus mutates every 11th person it touches. The only solution is to boost your innate & adaptive immune system via diet, exercise, and supplementation.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I have 2 teams in India and I’m trying to talk to each one of them individually to see how they are holding up. A grown man cried on the phone with me today y’all. Another said he jumps when his phone pings because people have been dying left and right in his apartment complex and they get notifications. He’s pretty much locked himself in the apartment with his wife and kids for weeks and only goes out for groceries I feel so bad.
We have major hubs of worker there as well and you can hear it in our teammates voices on calls. So many people are sick or taking care of family that is sick there. It's horrible.

awhyley

RE: India:
Its super bad. Just got off the phone with of of my employees who is from India and her parents and her in-laws.
Her FIL has COVID and his wife is okay. But they are very elderly and cannot get a doctor over there or get an ICU bed. Her FIL is recovering.
Her classmate from college in India is scared to leave their apartment as they have had almost 1/2 the tenants have die over the last month. :cry:
They are Hindu and are doing a prayer chain every day because their instinct is to fly over when a relative is sick but they cannot fly in. I feel so bad for her because she says so many Indians living here are so sad and worried. She says their relatives are okay but her friends have not been so lucky with their own relatives young and old. I think this is particularly virulent because of all of the strains and the sheer number of souls living there.

This is seriously grim. I never thought that we would be at this place globally, and was proud of the strides India made initially. This is sheer terror.
(Why are ppl getting notifications of deaths in their building?) :confused: That would freak me out. Prayers go out to all your colleagues and their families.

Lylddlebit

From two-dose vaccines, to yearly booster shot requirements, and now at-home pills. Pfizer is rolling out a COVID pill with anticipated availability by end of year. Oh, and its experimental:

I want to track the progress of the pharmaceuticals that come out after the vaccine and just general options as they continue to develop. My hope is that since so much attention is on the vaccines that subsequent therapies will be allowed to be well developed with a focused on quality without pressure for timelines. This isn't to say I am running for a spot in line but I am very interested in what develops building on the progress of the initial vaccines and treatments. I feel more comfortable finding my fit in comparing all the options and choosing one once I find a fit as opposed to taking something because I hope it's better than nothing and it's available. Thank you for posting that article.

Kanky

From the FDA website:

Who is responsible for the safety of dietary supplements?​

FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed.

The manufacturers and distributors of dietary supplements are responsible for making sure their products are safe BEFORE they go to market.

If the dietary supplement contains a NEW ingredient, manufacturers must notify FDA about that ingredient prior to marketing. However, the notification will only be reviewed by FDA (not approved) and only for safety, not effectiveness.

Manufacturers are required to produce dietary supplements in a quality manner and ensure that they do not contain contaminants or impurities, and are accurately labeled according to current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) and labeling regulations.

If a serious problem associated with a dietary supplement occurs, manufacturers must report it to FDA as an adverse event. FDA can take dietary supplements off the market if they are found to be unsafe or if the claims on the products are false and misleading.

ETA: I take a multivitamin, vitamin D, zinc and iron with zero reservations.
This is why I prefer to have my supplements prescribed by doctor and picked up from the pharmacy. Not only is it a lot less expensive, but it is a lot more likely that they contain what they are supposed to. Sometimes I cross my fingers and order something off Amazon (MSM and other stuff for hair and skin) but I know there’s a risk in that.

MomofThreeBoys

This is seriously grim. I never thought that we would be at this place globally, and was proud of the strides India made initially. This is sheer terror.
(Why are ppl getting notifications of deaths in their building?) :confused: That would freak me out. Prayers go out to all your colleagues and their families.
It’s probably a Facebook group or social media group and when someone hears about a death they post about it :(

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I just saw a report where an expert said he is seeing COVID in fully vaccinated folks. The virus mutates every 11th person it touches. The only solution is to boost your innate & adaptive immune system via diet, exercise, and supplementation.
The bolded is not surprising. Covid is an airborne virus, anyone vaccinated or not who is in close contact with an infected person is likely to breathe in the virus. Once inhaled the virus will travel through the nasal passages (where some will remain embedded in small hairs) through the throat and into the lungs. The vaccine does not stop people from inhaling Covid or fully eliminate its presence in the body, the role of vaccine is to help the body fight the infections that Covid causes once inhaled.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I get my second shot (Pfizer) this Sunday. After the 2-week period following, I'll be fully vaccinated. We have COVID-19 town halls Zoom calls at work every other week. Yesterday, a quick survey was conducted, and 88% of those on the call were fully vaccinated or at least had already gotten their first shot, of a 2-dose vaccine. My SO gets his first shot of Pfizer tomorrow. My MIL got the J&J vaccine a few weeks back. She's fine.

Black Ambrosia

I think the media is doing a disservice to vaccination efforts with the way they're reporting on breakthrough cases. It's reported like a medical mystery or failure but none of the vaccines are 100% effective and this has been well known since they were approved for use.

vevster

I think the media is doing a disservice to vaccination efforts with the way they're reporting on breakthrough cases. It's reported like a medical mystery or failure but none of the vaccines are 100% effective and this has been well known since they were approved for use.
I want to know what is going on out there. This woman was paralyzed from the Pfizer vaccine.

Another one:

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

I want to know what is going on out there. This woman was paralyzed from the Pfizer vaccine.

Another one:
I never said the breakthrough cases or side effects shouldn’t be reported on. My issue is with the way the breakthrough cases are being reported. If none of the vaccines are 100% effective then reporting on breakthrough cases like something has gone wrong is disingenuous and misleading. It’s unfortunate for the small percentage affected but it’s expected.

Becoming paralyzed after the vaccine isn’t the same thing at all. Everyone wants to know about stuff like this especially the people getting vaccinated.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Right? Like if you do the math, it is minuscule. :lol:

Big picture media people!! :nono: When people just hear 9,000+ people infected in spite of being vaccinated, it can be alarming and get people thinking why bother. I’ll admit for a split second when I heard the number my jaw dropped. But I gathered myself and remembered what I learned about percentages in middle school :lol:

For example, as of April 26, 95 million Americans are fully vaccinated. 9,245 breakthrough cases. .00973%. And I won’t even bother calculating the percentage of deaths in the breakthrough group (132). I’ll take my chances with the vaccine :yep:

COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections reported to CDC as of April 26​

As of April 26, 2021, more than 95 million people in the United States had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. During the same time, CDC received reports of vaccine breakthrough infections from 46 U.S. states and territories.

Total number of vaccine breakthrough infections reported to CDC
Total number of vaccine breakthrough infections reported to CDC9,245
Females5,827 (63%)
People aged ≥60 years4,245 (45%)
Asymptomatic infections2,525 (27%)
Hospitalizations*835 (9%)
Deaths†132 (1%)
*241 (29%) of the 835 hospitalizations were reported as asymptomatic or not related to COVID-19.
†20 (15%) of the 132 fatal cases were reported as asymptomatic or not related to COVID-19.

PatDM'T

:sad:

Mystery as 52 passengers test positive to Covid on flight​

Yahoo News Staff
Yahoo News Staff

Tue, 27 April 2021, 6:23 am·2-min read

More than 50 passengers who tested negative for coronavirus prior to boarding a flight have since tested positive in a startling event that has left experts baffled.

The number of positive tests was standing at 47, but has now risen to 52.

Charter flight UK6395, operated by Indian airline Vistara, arrived from Delhi in Hong Kong on April 4 after all passengers returned negative Covid-19 results before flying, Fox News reported.

Six of those with tickets were denied access to the flight, arranged to get people stranded in India home to Hong Kong, due to their test standard not being adequate, according to the Wall Street Journal.

More than 50 people of the 146 passengers have tested positive to coronavirus. Source: Getty

More than 50 people of the 146 passengers have tested positive to coronavirus. Source: Getty

Before beginning Hong Kong's mandatory three-week quarantine period, eight of the 146 passengers tested positive, with a further 44 returning positive results while in quarantine.

Passenger Rashida Fathima was on the flight with her husband and two children, and all tested positive while in quarantine, according to Fox News.

Mrs Fathima told the outlet she and her family wore masks for most of the journey and avoided using the on-flight bathrooms.

Despite their best efforts, they were seated in the same row as another passenger who Mrs Fathima said coughed throughout the flight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tripperhead/status/1383769373563752455

She said others took their masks off to eat - which was permitted - and parents walked up and down the aisle with their crying children.

The airline told the Wall Street Journal it complied with all health guidelines issued by India and destination countries.

There is widespread speculation over how the passengers came to be infected, with some suggesting they acquired the virus while in quarantine in Hong Kong.

Others have suggested there may have been a particularly virulent strain of the virus on the plane, which could explain why so many people became infected.

sunshinebeautiful

So the 52 people caught the virus on the flight or at the airport? I don't understand why the "experts are baffled" as the article says.

Samesies. Why is this baffling?

Doesn't covid take awhile to show up on a test after exposure? Somebody (or somebodies) tested negative prior to boarding the flight and could have, in reality, been infected, which then spread to others on the same flight.

Or they could have gotten infected at airport, like you said, and then "shared" the virus with others.

None of this seems "baffling" or outside of the realm of possibility at all.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Despite their best efforts, they were seated in the same row as another passenger who Mrs Fathima said coughed throughout the flight.

The charter flight on "Patel's Cousin's" Airlines literally let someone on who coughed the entire flight after everybody on the flight allegedly tested negative. Let me help clear up the baffle. This airline is flying wherever they are allowed because they can't make any money otherwise, test results be damned.

naturalgyrl5199

NOT surprised.

Its like a huge circle jerk:

Oh you mean the vaccines aren't working?
There is no herd immunity?
Why get a vaccine? It doesn't work?
We don't NEED a vaccine.
They don't work anyway.
We'll never reach herd immunity.
I don't see the purpose.
COVID vaccine doesn't work....

Rinse
Repeat.

Same people will insist their kids study STEM to get ahead. But don't believe in science.
I'm so tired.
This article isn't a surprise but its heartbreaking.