The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

BonBon

Lawd at our health secretary having an affair during covid. I wish I didnt click the video. He's just as awkward as I imagined and now I cant unsee.

Come to think of it there was an interview earlier in the pandemic where they asked him whether people will soon be able to have intimate time with someone that they are not already living with. He went all red and lost for words - people thought he was shy around the mention of sex. Now I'm thinking it's because he knew he was dodgy.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

I spoke to my friend, Dr. A who is a black cardiologist who is a regular on Joy Reid's show. He and I discussed yesterday his concerns with the risk. He believes (as a doc who has never had COVID, and one of the first like myself to be vaccinated in December) that if you have had COVID-19, your immunity is about the same as that of someone who has been vaccinated. He wants the CDC to update recommendations. I told him that I still believe in mask-wearing because people lie and still have behaviors that don't keep others safe, and we agreed. He shared a study that is about to come out (I think its Cleveland Clinic) and it shows the same level of protection: ~95% in those who have had COVID and those who were vaccinated.

So look for that. His concern is also the safety of the vaccine for the vulnerable. And almost all of his patients are heart patients.

dancinstallion

India Signals Alarm About New 'Delta Plus' Variant​

the Delta Plus variant appears to be more transmissible, better able to attack lung cells, and less responsive to antibodies.

"Public health officials in India are sounding the alarm on another coronavirus variant, which they are calling "Delta Plus," according to CBS News.

The Delta Plus variant, which is a mutation of the widespread Delta strain first identified in India, could be more infectious and cause more severe COVID-19. Officials in India labeled it a "variant of concern" this week.

The variant, also known as B.1.617.2.1, has led to an increase in cases in India, CBS News reported. It has also been detected in the U.S., U.K., China, Japan, Poland, Portugal, Russia, and Switzerland.

Public health agencies such as the CDC and Public Health England are monitoring various "variants of concern" as the pandemic continues worldwide.

On Friday, Public Health England issued a new briefingfocused on the Delta variant, including potential mutations such as Delta Plus. The Delta strain is the dominant variant in the U.K. and now accounts for 95% of cases being sequenced.

Public Health England also said another variant, called Lambda, was designated a "variant under investigation" this week due to an increase in cases. Lambda, which was first identified in Peru, has spread to 26 countries.
The six cases identified in the U.K. have been linked to overseas travel, according to the report.

Earlier this week, health officials in India asked three states to increase vigilance and screening for the Delta Plus variant, CBS News reported. More than 40 cases of the new mutation have been found in those states, and at least one unvaccinated patient has died. So far, scientists in India who have sequenced the strain said the Delta Plus variant appears to be more transmissible, better able to attack lung cells, and less responsive to antibodies.

At the same time, scientists say they still need more data to understand the new strains, according to BBC News."]

sunshinebeautiful

I spoke to my friend, Dr. A who is a black cardiologist who is a regular on Joy Reid's show. He and I discussed yesterday his concerns with the risk. He believes (as a doc who has never had COVID, and one of the first like myself to be vaccinated in December) that if you have had COVID-19, your immunity is about the same as that of someone who has been vaccinated. He wants the CDC to update recommendations. I told him that I still believe in mask-wearing because people lie and still have behaviors that don't keep others safe, and we agreed. He shared a study that is about to come out (I think its Cleveland Clinic) and it shows the same level of protection: ~95% in those who have had COVID and those who were vaccinated.

So look for that. His concern is also the safety of the vaccine for the vulnerable. And almost all of his patients are heart patients.

I've been wondering about this and waiting for the scientific literature to catch up. I'll be looking out for this study. By the time it comes out, I probably would have already had my second COVID shot though (had COVID in late February/early March) though. Just good info to know.

dancinstallion

Dangerous variant exploiting Australia's weaknesses​

Frances Mao, BBC News Sydney

" Just a week ago Sydney was still in near Covid-free bliss - with people packed into restaurants and dancing in clubs.

But the swift spread of Delta has upended the "new normal". The strain is now linked to three of four clusters affecting Australia.

Experts say the nation's defences have been beaten, multiple times, by the powerful variant. It's breached hotel quarantine several times, raising concerns about air transmission. It's also managed to break through relaxed distancing rules in society, latching onto unprotected workers. Mask-wearing is now back in almost every state in Australia.

In Sydney, officials say the virus is infecting 100% of household contacts when it's brought into a home. It's too early to tell if this lockdown will contain it, according to experts. Low vaccination rates have also left Australians vulnerable.

One expert told me it's a "perfect storm" for "what is now easily the most dominant variant in the world". 2px presentational grey line NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard has described the Delta variant which was first detected in India as a "very formidable foe". "No matter what defensive steps we're taking at the moment, the virus seems to understand how to counter-attack."

Australia has maintained very low rates of Covid transmission throughout the pandemic due to a closed-border policy, stringent quarantine and swift testing and tracing systems.

It has recorded no deaths this year, but 910 deaths and 30,450 cases overall. The newer, more infectious Covid variants however, have strained the nation's defences - with several small outbreaks this year."]

sunshinebeautiful

Dangerous variant exploiting Australia's weaknesses​

Frances Mao, BBC News Sydney

" Just a week ago Sydney was still in near Covid-free bliss - with people packed into restaurants and dancing in clubs.

But the swift spread of Delta has upended the "new normal". The strain is now linked to three of four clusters affecting Australia.

Experts say the nation's defences have been beaten, multiple times, by the powerful variant. It's breached hotel quarantine several times, raising concerns about air transmission. It's also managed to break through relaxed distancing rules in society, latching onto unprotected workers. Mask-wearing is now back in almost every state in Australia.

In Sydney, officials say the virus is infecting 100% of household contacts when it's brought into a home. It's too early to tell if this lockdown will contain it, according to experts. Low vaccination rates have also left Australians vulnerable.

One expert told me it's a "perfect storm" for "what is now easily the most dominant variant in the world". 2px presentational grey line NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard has described the Delta variant which was first detected in India as a "very formidable foe". "No matter what defensive steps we're taking at the moment, the virus seems to understand how to counter-attack."

Australia has maintained very low rates of Covid transmission throughout the pandemic due to a closed-border policy, stringent quarantine and swift testing and tracing systems.

It has recorded no deaths this year, but 910 deaths and 30,450 cases overall. The newer, more infectious Covid variants however, have strained the nation's defences - with several small outbreaks this year."]

Whew, yeah, this variant sounds very contagious!

dancinstallion

"The Delta variant has different symptoms than the previous variants.
Symptoms are headache, fever, sore throat, then runny nose.
The variant shares symptoms with the common cold and people may not realize they have covid and not a cold.

However the new Delta Plus variant has all the symptoms. the Delta Plus variant carries symptoms of the Delta as well as its partner the Beta variant. Some of these symptoms include cough, diarrhea, fever, headache, skin rash, discolouration of fingers and toes, chest pain, and shortness of breath.

Other symptoms listed by the experts and attributed to the Delta Plus variant are: stomache ache, nausea and loss of app."

Delta Plus In India: 60% Cases Are Either Asymptomatic or Have Mild Symptoms​

Though 4 out of nearly 50 cases have succumbed to the delta plus, other epidemiological parameters look very assuring. However, it's too early to arrive at any conclusion.

dancinstallion

Whew, yeah, this variant sounds very contagious!

Yes it appears that way but it hasn't increased death counts which is strange, if it is so powerful and easily transmitted.

"The prevalence of the virus seems very low at around 0.08 per cent (50 of 45000 samples).

Though it seems too early to say so, the variant has taken 4 lives when only around 50 have been detected with the new variant of concern. The case fatality rate now is high at around 8 per cent. But there are other encouraging determinants.

In the small number of 50 cases detected so far in the country, the recovery rate is estimated at over 92 per cent.

• Nearly 13 of 50 are asymptomatic. This shows over 26 per cent have the antibody to suppress the virus.

• As many as 15 others have shown only mild symptoms. This brings to fore the fact that around 30 per cent show only mild symptoms, despite carrying this lethal mutant. This again highlights the role of antibody battling with the virus well.

• Overall, 60 per cent delta plus infected patients are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. The number looks very assuring as of now.

• Reports say, even, in Jalgaon (Maharashtra), the infected patients are unvaccinated, still remained asymptomatic.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
"The Delta variant has different symptoms than the previous variants.
Symptoms are headache, fever, sore throat, then runny nose.
The variant shares symptoms with the common cold and people may not realize they have covid and not a cold.

However the new Delta Plus variant has all the symptoms. the Delta Plus variant carries symptoms of the Delta as well as its partner the Beta variant. Some of these symptoms include cough, diarrhea, fever, headache, skin rash, discolouration of fingers and toes, chest pain, and shortness of breath.

Other symptoms listed by the experts and attributed to the Delta Plus variant are: stomache ache, nausea and loss of app."

Delta Plus In India: 60% Cases Are Either Asymptomatic or Have Mild Symptoms​

Though 4 out of nearly 50 cases have succumbed to the delta plus, other epidemiological parameters look very assuring. However, it's too early to arrive at any conclusion.
It's getting smarter and smarter. :confused: What do you want to bet that although the recovery rate associated with Delta Plus is high, that it will mutate further to become more deadly.

vevster

This man just told me that he lost his sense of smell and taste when he was a child and that it came back after he got his second Pfizer shot. He was so happy and excited. :lol: I bet that he is going around smelling and eating all of the things.
Actually my cousin said a cough she had cleared up when she got the shot. Good for her, I say.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Covid cases in LA are low but they saw the number jump from double to triple digits in the last week so they issued a recommendation for people to wear masks indoors regardless of vaccination status. It's only a recommendation so it's voluntary but I'm guessing they are expecting to see the numbers increase to four digits following the Independence Day holiday.

Evolving78

Covid cases in LA are low but they saw the number jump from double to triple digits in the last week so they issued a recommendation for people to wear masks indoors regardless of vaccination status. It's only a recommendation so it's voluntary but I'm guessing they are expecting to see the numbers increase to four digits following the Independence Day holiday.
They really think they are gonna get people to put their masks back on?

oneastrocurlie

I'm curious about who vaccinated people are catching the virus from. They stop doing contact tracing?

How people are getting it AND what happens after imo is more important than just saying they caught it. We already know the vaccine doesn't stop you from inhaling the virus.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
They really think they are gonna get people to put their masks back on?
They already know that the staunch anti maskers aren't going to budge but they at least want it out there so that folks can't come back down the line talking about "nobody told us".

I went to two grocery stores last week and I'd guesstimate about 90% of the customers (me included) were still wearing masks. In my company, there's 4-5 people out of 30 working from the office who walk around with no masks. We have far more unvaxxed people than I thought.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Stats are that approximately 30% of US adults are vaccinated and CDC says if you're fully vacinnatrd you no longer need to wear a mask, right? Went to the mall this weekend and nearly 100% of the people were not wearing masks! I was in and out!
That math ain't adding up! Glad you got out of there!

Black Ambrosia

Just saw today that the percentage of fully vaccinated adults is actually 57%. Not nearly enough but way more than 30%.

sunshinebeautiful

Just saw today that the percentage of fully vaccinated adults is actually 57%. Not nearly enough but way more than 30%.

Wow, but some states are really in the 30 percent range! I just checked Florida because, well, yall know how Florida people are. I'm actually surprised it's 45% fully vaccinated.