The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

dancinstallion

Me too. A friend of mine has COVID and has been vaccinated for 3 months. She wants me to tell everybody that even though she has a 'mild' case, COVID is like nothing she's ever had and she couldn't get out of bed for 3 days. She's really sick and her oxygen levels keep going up and down. She's scared.

So that wouldn't be a mild case if she couldnt get out of bed for 3 days and oxygen levels keep fluctuating.

Is she taking anything or is she just going to ride it out?

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

I ventured out yesterday thinking that if I went early enough I could beat the crowds at Dollar Tree and Daiso Japan for storage/organizing stuff. Yeah, that only kind of worked out because the first dollar tree I went to had everything but storage stuff and more importantly did not have a freezer section with delicious Jamaican Beef and Chicken patties. :mad: Plus the lady at the register had her mask on in a way that her bottom lip poked out. We were separated by a shield at checkout but I was like :whyme:

Dollar Tree has Jamaican chicken patties??? That's my only takeaway. That's worth so much more than $6.50. I don't think I've been in one that has a freezer section so I may be SOL but I'm going to find out.

starfish

So that wouldn't be a mild case if she couldnt get out of bed for 3 days and oxygen levels keep fluctuating.

Is she taking anything or is she just going to ride it out?
Her doctor and the hospital called it mild, but I agree with you. She told me that as sick as she is the hospital told her being sick enough to be admitted to the hospital is the unvaccinated mild. She says it feels like the worst flu she's ever had. I'm not sure what she's taking. She said she talks to her doctor twice a day, in the morning and evening. She texted me during lunch and said her oxygen levels are stable and good now, but she still feels like she's been hit by a truck.

She makes me feel like I want to take another test. I've had 5. I'm a hypochondriac and just KNEW I had Rona each time, but I didn't.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

Dollar Tree has Jamaican chicken patties??? That's my only takeaway. That's worth so much more than $6.50. I don't think I've been in one that has a freezer section so I may be SOL but I'm going to find out.
Yes ma'am and I'ma tell you the truth. I have hit at least a dozen Jamaican spots in the LA metro area and these joints right here poo on 90% of they homemade patties. When people ask how I spend $100 at the dollar store I'm like Exibit A-J.

The Golden Krust page will tell you which 99 Only or Dollar Trees have them near you. Find a Restaurant Near You | Golden Krust

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

Yall :nono:

I started a new job today. It's at an university. Today was New Employee Orientation. For months, they had been working remotely (and doing the Orientation remotely), but I was part of the 2nd cohort where they went back to in-person. Lucky me. My plan was to stay masked all day long and pray only 2 other people were in the room. Oh, and I had covid earlier this year, but since we're back in the office I got vaccinated too.

I showed up and there were 6 other people sitting around a medium-sized conference table. Aside from me, there were 2 other people masked. I was not happy. As the morning went on, one of the women decided to ditch her mask for the rest of the day. Then she's in here, sitting across the table, coughing and clearing her throat sporadically. This triggered me because when I had covid months ago one of the first symptoms I noticed was that I kept feeling the sensation of needing to clear my throat over and over again.

I promptly got up and excused myself to the bathroom to put on a second mask.

I was so dismayed at how many people were not wearing masks as the day went on. A revolving door of people from HR and various offices coming in to review policies with us, etc. :nono:

Before lunch, noticing I hadn't taken the mask off, one of the ladies in the Orientation asked if I had been vaccinated. I was like "Yup, sure did, but I had covid earlier this year and I refuse to go through that again."

Lady from Orientation: "Oh, but the chances of that are so small. You'd have a greater chance getting hit by lightning."

Me: :look: (in my head) "Chile, where you get that stat from? You aint hear about these breakthrough cases and Delta on the loose for real for real? Or how Florida is a cesspool of covid at the moment?"

Tomorrow is my first actual "work day" with the team I'll be working directly with. I have my own office, we get to split working in the office with remote work, and I'm hoping not to have to be around no more unmasked people for real for real on the daily.

*sigh* I'ma be absolutely LIVID if I catch this dang-on virus again.

Last edited:

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Yes ma'am and I'ma tell you the truth. I have hit at least a dozen Jamaican spots in the LA metro area and these joints right here poo on 90% of they homemade patties. When people ask how I spend $100 at the dollar store I'm like Exibit A-J.

The Golden Krust page will tell you which 99 Only or Dollar Trees have them near you. Find a Restaurant Near You | Golden Krust
OMG They make patties with Beyond Meat!! :mwahahafire:

And they sell this brand at a Dollar Tree near me. :yay: I never thought I would be buying food at a Dollar Tree :lol: but I'm gonna check them out.

ETA: Ugh. The site even says the flavors they have at each store. They don't have the ones with Beyond Meat :sad:

Last edited:

lavaflow99

VA mandates COVID-19 vaccines among its medical employees including VHA facilities staff

WASHINGTON — July 26 Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough announced he will make COVID-19 vaccines mandatory for Title 38 VA health care personnel — including physicians, dentists, podiatrists, optometrists, registered nurses, physician assistants, expanded-function dental auxiliaries and chiropractors — who work in Veterans Health Administration facilities, visit VHA facilities or provide direct care to those VA serves.

VA is taking this necessary step to keep the Veterans it serves safe.

Each employee will have eight weeks to be fully vaccinated.

“We’re mandating vaccines for Title 38 employees because it’s the best way to keep Veterans safe, especially as the Delta variant spreads across the country,” McDonough said. “Whenever a Veteran or VA employee sets foot in a VA facility, they deserve to know that we have done everything in our power to protect them from COVID-19. With this mandate, we can once again make — and keep — that fundamental promise.”

The department’s decision is supported by numerous medical organizations including the American Hospital Association, America’s Essential Hospitals and a Multisociety group of the leading Infectious Disease Societies. The American Medical Association, American Nurses Association, American College of Physicians, American Academy of Pediatrics, Association of American Medical Colleges, and National Association for Home Care and Hospice also endorsed mandating COVID-19 vaccination for health care workers.

In recent weeks, VA has lost four employees to COVID-19 — all of whom were unvaccinated. At least three of those employees died because of the increasingly prevalent Delta variant. There has also been an outbreak among unvaccinated employees and trainees at a VA Law Enforcement Training Center, the third such outbreak during the pandemic.

All VA employees are eligible to be vaccinated at no personal expense at any of our facilities. Employees will also receive four hours of paid administrative leave after demonstrating they have been vaccinated. Information in these FAQs or clinician and Veteran videos has details about the vaccine, its safety and effectiveness.

The safety and wellbeing of our Veterans and personnel is paramount.

lavaflow99

Most of the major school districts in the DMV are making mask mandatory for students and teachers starting for the fall semester :clap:

Here's a list of mask policies for school districts in the DMV ahead of the start of in-person learning:

D.C.​

D.C. Public Schools (DCPS): Masks Required
DCPS will fully re-open to all students for in-person learning starting Aug.30, and all students, staff and visitors will be required to wear face coverings until further notice, as stated in DCPS's reopening portal.

Maryland​

Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS): Decision TBA
MCPS has not officially determined whether students will be required to wear masks for the 2021-2022 school year, but an official announcement on their updated policies is scheduled for July 27, as stated on the district's COVID portal.
Prince George's County Public Schools (PGCPS): Masks Required
Prince George's County Public School will continue to mandate mask-wearing for all students and staff for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, CEO Monica Goldson announced July 26.
Washington County Public Schools: Decision TBA
“Washington County Public Schools (WCPS) has communicated with our learning community that we are prepared to begin the 2021-2022 school year by following executive orders from the Office of the Governor and the State that are in effect at that time. We are committed to providing safe and healthy schools for our students and staff as was done with all students learning in person during the 2020-2021 school year. WCPS will continue following physical distancing recommendations, implementing enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols, and encouraging healthy habits such as frequent handwashing and sanitizing. Our school families and staff can expect to learn more specific details regarding any additional health and safety precautions closer to the August 30th start date.”

Virginia​

Arlington Public Schools (APS): Masks Required Indoors
Although classroom capacities will return to pre-pandemic levels, APS will continue to mandate that all staff, students and visitors wear masks while inside buildings and school busses, as stated on the district's website. However, students with recess will no longer be required to wear face coverings while outdoors.
Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS): Masks Required

As of March 3, ACPS will still require all staff, students and visitors to wear face coverings while inside buildings or on school busses, as found in the district's COVID protocols booklet.
Manassas City Public Schools (MCPS): Decision TBA
The district has not officially determined whether students will be required to wear masks for the 2021-2022 school year.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS): Decision TBA
FCPS has not yet made a decision for the 2021-2022 school year.
“We are still reviewing the CDC guidance and are waiting on the state’s updated guidance expected on July 25," a spokesperson for the district said. "We are considering the use of masks for all students and staff but will be firm up this decision next week.”
Prince William's County Public Schools (PWCPS): Decision TBA
The school district has not yet released detailed guidance on mask expectations and will update its policy based on CDC recommendations, as stated on the district's website. However, students using school busses will continue to be required to use face coverings.
Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS): Decision TBA
As found in the district's Fall 2021 reopening plan, LCPS has not yet made a decision regarding the use of face masks and will update parents sometime later in the summer with a specific policy.

dancinstallion

So all that "vaccinated people cant spread the virus" or its a very low risk is another myth the media and the CDC like to keep repeating. All of these break through cases in the vaccinated are catching it from each other too and not just catching it from the unvaccinated.

I digress. I am about to start wearing a face shield in public.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

"She said 'I know I do not have COVID. I still can smell and taste. And I am vaccinated.' But when she got to the hospital, [it] turns out she had it," Tara Mosley told WDSU News."

"One of the things that I will say contributed to her death, Angelle was large for her age. She was obese," she said, referring to the fact that people with underlying health conditions are more vulnerable to the worst effects of the virus."

I thought that I was pretty well versed in all things Covid just to find out that even though the information is out there that I was unaware that the old symptoms ain't the new symptoms. The reason Delta is more contagious than regular contagious is the greater population legit don't know that the game has changed.

naturalgyrl5199

There is a Dollar Tree and Publix stores that have the beef, curry chicken and both the spicy and mild Beyond Meat versions. Mannnn both are less than 0.40 miles away. I'm really finna leave work now.

naturalgyrl5199

So all that "vaccinated people cant spread the virus" or its a very low risk is another myth the media and the CDC like to keep repeating. All of these break through cases in the vaccinated are catching it from each other too and not just catching it from the unvaccinated.

I digress. I am about to start wearing a face shield in public.
In normal times, non-pandemic times, the vaccinated don't usually spread things they are vaccinated against. Plus, we are trying to fight a virus thats mutated over 100 times in months.... (yes over 100). Don't forget, we are talking at most a well known 95% effective rate...or lower.
At minimum, 5,000,000 humans of the 100,000,000 vaccinated were going to have breakthrough infection ANYWAY.

So this ain't out the way and the CDC isn't really lying or spreading non-truths. This is what happens when the worst-case scenario ACTUALLY happens. You can go your whole life and never see this.

***Oh and most likely, the VERY SICK vaccinated person mentioned a few comments above likely has Delta, Epsilon, or Lambda variant. Or they are one of the 5-15% of people who got the short end of the stick of vaccine effectiveness. Moderna is 95%, Pfizer was 90-95%, J and J was 92% or something like that. Had we gotten at least 200M vaccinated by this date...we wouldn't be here as bad. Herd immunity works when you can actually achieve it. I just don't see it.

NY state has the highest VAX percent right now. They and other states with higher than 50% rates haven't hit the emergency levels rural counties have. YET.

Ya'll said 2022 and we are 4 months from 2022. Keep your diligence up.

And yes,
Pull out the shields.

Melaninme

"Walensky said new data shows the variant behaves “uniquely differently from past strains of the virus,” indicating that some vaccinated people infected with the delta variant “may be contagious and spread the virus to others.”

oneastrocurlie

Dang. Not a single search result popped up near me.

Crackers Phinn

Raise your hand if when Biden was talmbout no more masks if you are vaccinated, you ACTUALLY stopped wearing masks (vaccinated or not).

God they slow up there.
Not I said the fly! :naughty:

But my reasons were 100% that I didn't trust the type of people who refused to wear masks or wore them wrong in the first place to not take advantage of the "honor" system. These hoes ain't loyal or honorable. :mad:

TrulyBlessed

Biden will announce vaccination requirement across federal government on Thursday​

(CNN) — President Joe Biden will announce on Thursday a requirement that all federal employees and contractors be vaccinated against Covid-19, or be required to submit to regular testing and mitigation requirements, according to a source with direct knowledge of the matter.

The announcement will come in remarks where Biden is also expected to lay out a series of new steps, including incentives, in an attempt to spur new vaccinations as the Delta variant spreads rapidly throughout the country. It will also follow the decision by the Department of Veterans Affairs to require its frontline health care workers to be vaccinated over the course of the next two months.

Biden alluded to the looming announcement on Tuesday.

"That's under consideration right now," Biden said, when asked if he would impose a vaccination mandate on federal workers.

While the specifics are still being finalized, the source said, federal workers would be required to attest to their vaccination status or submit to regular testing. The source said the proposal will be roughly similar to what is being implemented in New York City. Additional requirements for the unvaccinated could be added as agencies push to vaccinate their employees.

Biden will not impose the requirement on the US military, despite his authority to do so, for the time being. He is, however, likely to outline how the Department of Defense may seek to approach the issue going forward, the source said.

Asked if he thinks the new revised guidance on masks from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will lead to confusion for Americans, Biden cast blame on unvaccinated Americans, saying that if they had been vaccinated "we'd be in a very different world."

"We have a pandemic because of the unvaccinated, and they're sowing enormous confusion. And the more we've learned about this virus and the Delta variant, the more we have to be worried and concerned. There's only one thing we know for sure: If those other (inaudible) people got vaccinated, we'd be in a very different world," he said.

The administration's decision to require vaccines for VA health workers provided a powerful signal that vaccine requirements could be necessary to convince the still-hesitant to get their shots.

Furthering the case for vaccine mandates, the administration is taking steps to spell out the legal grounds upon which American entities can require employees to get shots.

Justice Department lawyers have determined that federal law doesn't prohibit public agencies and private businesses from requiring Covid-19 vaccines, even if the vaccines have only been authorized for emergency use, according to an opinion posted online Monday.

The opinion from the department's Office of Legal Counsel -- dated July 6, but released publicly Monday -- paves the way for more federal agencies and businesses to require vaccinations following the Veterans Affairs announcement about front-line health workers.

In recent weeks, Justice Department officials have been weighing requests from private businesses and federal agencies seeking legal backing for policies aimed at encouraging vaccinations, according to people briefed on the matter.

The opinion marks a reversal from the previous administration. Last year, Attorney General William Barr used the Justice Department's legal power to try to fight certain Covid restrictions, including joining some businesses that sought to overturn state mask mandates.