The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

dancinstallion

In normal times, non-pandemic times, the vaccinated don't usually spread things they are vaccinated against. Plus, we are trying to fight a virus thats mutated over 100 times in months.... (yes over 100). Don't forget, we are talking at most a well known 95% effective rate...or lower.
At minimum, 5,000,000 humans of the 100,000,000 vaccinated were going to have breakthrough infection ANYWAY.

So this ain't out the way and the CDC isn't really lying or spreading non-truths. This is what happens when the worst-case scenario ACTUALLY happens. You can go your whole life and never see this.

***Oh and most likely, the VERY SICK vaccinated person mentioned a few comments above likely has Delta, Epsilon, or Lambda variant. Or they are one of the 5-15% of people who got the short end of the stick of vaccine effectiveness. Moderna is 95%, Pfizer was 90-95%, J and J was 92% or something like that. Had we gotten at least 200M vaccinated by this date...we wouldn't be here as bad. Herd immunity works when you can actually achieve it. I just don't see it.

NY state has the highest VAX percent right now. They and other states with higher than 50% rates haven't hit the emergency levels rural counties have. YET.

Ya'll said 2022 and we are 4 months from 2022. Keep your diligence up.

And yes,
Pull out the shields.

I understand and normally would agree with you.
IME, the CDC and the media is spreading false hope to people,The CDC has vaccinated people walking around maskless and no longer social distancing....
A LOT of vaccinated people are/ were walking around like they are IMMUNE/untouchable!

Because no official or CDC Explicitly told them that they could still catch it, spread it, and DIE. It was portrayed that the risk is so low as to not worry about it and only the unvaccinated are catching it, spreading it, and dying. Which was wrong. With 5 million people potentially having break through cases the risk was high not low. 5 million is not a small number lets forget about percentages.

See Biden just said. No sir that is not the truth.

"We have a pandemic because of the unvaccinated, and they're sowing enormous confusion."

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

I understand and normally would agree with you.
IME, the CDC and the media is spreading false hope to people,The CDC has vaccinated people walking around maskless and no longer social distancing....
A LOT of vaccinated people are/ were walking around like they are IMMUNE/untouchable!

Because no official or CDC Explicitly told them that they could still catch it and DIE. It was portrayed that the risk is so low as to not worry about it and only the unvaccinated are catching it and dying. Which was wrong. With 5 million people potentially having break through cases the risk was high not low. 5 million is not a small number lets forget about percentages.

It's also about who and what you (general you) are reading and paying attention to. I started following several epidemiologists who basically said you best keep your mask, vaccine isn't a cure, studies are still being done on transmission and effectiveness of the vaccines, yada, yada. Some people/experts/media have been warning folks to basically ignore the CDC and keep masked up even if vaccinated.

But I agree, following the CDC to the letter has folks (and companies and businesses really) too comfy.

snoop

It's also about who and what you (general you) are reading and paying attention to. I started following several epidemiologists who basically said you best keep your mask, vaccine isn't a cure, studies are still being done on transmission and effectiveness of the vaccines, yada, yada. Some people/experts/media have been warning folks to basically ignore the CDC and keep masked up even if vaccinated.

But I agree, following the CDC to the letter has folks (and companies and businesses really) too comfy.

I also think that people started picking and choosing their sources and who to follow once "covid fatigue" set in.

And for the record I hate that term as I think it was used to give people an excuse not to act responsibly and/or not to take responsibly for their actions.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Not I said the fly! :naughty:

But my reasons were 100% that I didn't trust the type of people who refused to wear masks or wore them wrong in the first place to not take advantage of the "honor" system. These hoes ain't loyal or honorable. :mad:
Right? Anyone who believed that every American person will follow the honor system and believes that every one of the people we see out and about without a mask is vaccinated is an idiot.

Chromia

6 weeks ago my CEO sent an email saying that vaccinated employees no longer had to wear masks or social distance. Also, all of the meeting rooms and the seating area in the lunchroom were reopened.

It will be interesting to see if & when that changes.

That email also said that unvaccinated employees have to keep wearing masks when they leave their cubicles/offices, and they have to keep social distancing.

ETA: We're on the honor system so I'm sure some unvaccinated people put their masks away as soon as they read the email.

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

The new university I work at (in Florida) just sent out a memo signed by all of the presidents of universities in the state system "strongly recommending" that all college students be vaccinated. School starts in a few weeks. Feels like too little and too late.

I semi-breathed a sigh of relief that the people I'll actually be working with are taking this thing seriously. They are all vaccinated (or so they say) and when the announcement came down today Boss Lady put on her mask indoors. She has a 4 year old at home that she's trying to keep covid free. Since she's in charge, I hope everyone else in the office follows suit to keep ALL of us as safe as possible.

Still :censored: to that :censored: who was doing all the unmasked coughing and stuff in Orientation yesterday.

winterinatl

All natural!
"She said 'I know I do not have COVID. I still can smell and taste. And I am vaccinated.' But when she got to the hospital, [it] turns out she had it," Tara Mosley told WDSU News."

"One of the things that I will say contributed to her death, Angelle was large for her age. She was obese," she said, referring to the fact that people with underlying health conditions are more vulnerable to the worst effects of the virus."

I thought that I was pretty well versed in all things Covid just to find out that even though the information is out there that I was unaware that the old symptoms ain't the new symptoms. The reason Delta is more contagious than regular contagious is the greater population legit don't know that the game has changed.
She died in four days. I want to know more details as to why.

winterinatl

All natural!
I have a very small social group of women in my neighborhood. We would gather each week for dinner, social distancing, but ditched the masks once we wevaccinated.

I recently discovered one of them never got vaccinated. She has a problem with it. My other good friend told her about herself .I am really disappointed. She had some crap excuse about not putting unnatural things in her body or some such song and dance. My friend said, “Well what makes you so special? Don’t you think we ALL would rather not inject something foreign into our bodies?” Other friend said she didn’t want to talk about it anymore.
Needless to say, I won’t be hosting dinners anymore, and will not be participating. At least not without my mask.

I was JUST starting to be okay taking my mask down in stores. But it didn’t feel right. I feel most comfortable keeping my habits of shopping online and using instacart.

Y’all even my cousin got vaccinated and she’s Jehovah Witness!!

edit: forgot to mention, that lady knew I thought she was vaccinated and never said anything. It has really changed how I view her. You put my life at risk WTF.

Everything Zen

Covid microagression rant all-in-one

I was rushing around helping my parents yesterday in an emergency for our dog who was diagnosed with acute glaucoma and had to return to the vet for an ointment while they were sending medication to Walgreens and scheduling him to see a vet ophthalmologist. I’m in no mood for shenanigans because the staff almost tried to insinuate that my black :moon: wouldn’t be able to afford the treatment in front of a whole room of other people.

Admin: I don’t know if the treatment is even going to be possible it’s 750.00
Me: Ok
Admin: Seven-five-Zero plus 250.00 for blah…
Me: ma’am I heard you the first time and that’s none of your concern. Buddy was my partner and my dog before he lived with my parents. I hope you all are not delaying getting him into to be seen by assuming what I can and cannot afford. (Slaps Kate Spade purse on counter)

There are wear a mask signs all over the front door of the building. Entitled white man walks in without one with his dog. Some of the staff working with me divert their attention to him about wearing a mask.
Entitled worthless loser: I’m vaccinated
Staff: you’re still required to wear one
Entitled worthless loser: I don’t have o-

I’m pissed
because he’s diverting the conversation/attention from finishing what I need for MY dog so I dug in my Kate Spade for an extra mask and shoved it in his face.

Entitled worthless loser: oh! thank you

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

naturalgyrl5199

Another school board meeting in the School district for FL capital. All the maskers except for brave ones attended virtually. All the crazies attended (mask-less) in person to grandstand and lie. Again, kids were whining about how they were muzzled and their masks got dirty having to wear them in school. Masks are optional FOR NOW. But the Superintendent is going to eat his words.

oneastrocurlie

I have a very small social group of women in my neighborhood. We would gather each week for dinner, social distancing, but ditched the masks once we wevaccinated.

I recently discovered one of them never got vaccinated. She has a problem with it. My other good friend told her about herself .I am really disappointed. She had some crap excuse about not putting unnatural things in her body or some such song and dance. My friend said, “Well what makes you so special? Don’t you think we ALL would rather not inject something foreign into our bodies?” Other friend said she didn’t want to talk about it anymore.
Needless to say, I won’t be hosting dinners anymore, and will not be participating. At least not without my mask.

I was JUST starting to be okay taking my mask down in stores. But it didn’t feel right. I feel most comfortable keeping my habits of shopping online and using instacart.

edit: forgot to mention, that lady knew I thought she was vaccinated and never said anything. It has really changed how I view her. You put my life at risk WTF.

Not only was she deceptive, she's out here gathering maskless and unvaccinated. Lawd.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I’ve been watching these folks on local school Facebook pages arguing about masks. I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with all of the ignorance.

The pediatrician offices are already packed from all of the summer camps. I’m scared for the start of school.
Read something this morning about a school board meeting where mask-less idiots were burning masks. They had to cancel the meeting and they've rescheduled it and will have security present.

Its complete insanity. So happy I don't have to get involved with those folks.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Read something this morning about a school board meeting where mask-less idiots were burning masks. They had to cancel the meeting and they've rescheduled it and will have security present.

Its complete insanity. So happy I don't have to get involved with those folks.
Whoa, where was this?

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness

Some friend! :mad:

JW have nothing against vaccinations and view it as a personal choice.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
Whoa, where was this?
Two guesses. Florida.

Anti-mask protesters forced a Florida school board to postpone a meeting about back-to-school requirements​

By Liam Reilly and Christina Maxouris, CNN
Published 12:49 AM EDT, Wed July 28, 2021

02:06 - Source: CNN
Fauci: You get vaccinated because you want to save your life
CNN —
About 20 anti-mask protesters gathered at the Broward County School Board headquarters in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on Tuesday, forcing a postponement of a discussion on mask requirements for the upcoming school year, a school board member told CNN.
“Folks weren’t wearing masks and refused to follow the rules – rules that people have followed for the last year and a half,” School Board Member Sarah Leonardi said of the protesters. “It made it very difficult to hold our meeting behind closed doors.”
Healthcare workers at Jacksonville's Baptist Medical Center in Florida.
Staff at a Florida hospital say they are hearing panic, fear and regret from unvaccinated Covid-19 patients

Leonardi said the group set masks on fire during their demonstration and called the protest “very disturbing.”
Video of the protest from CNN affiliate WFOR showed a protester dousing a catering tray full of masks with lighter fluid before setting it on fire with a lighter.

The protester can be heard saying in the video, “It is time to cast off this symbol of tyranny, this symbol of child abuse – we will not stand for it anymore.”
Anti-mask protesters gathered at the Broward School Board headquarters before a board meeting in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on July 27.

WFOR
Anti-mask protesters gathered at the Broward School Board headquarters before a board meeting in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on July 27.
The protest comes as the dangerous Delta variant has fueled another Covid-19 surge in the US. Hospitals in parts of the country are filling up again and reporting younger patients than ever, the majority of whom are unvaccinated. With children under 12 not yet eligible for a Covid-19 vaccine in the US, schools across the country are navigating what the start of the academic year will look like and whether they’ll require face masks.
A student writes on a divider which is used for learning in a socially distanced protective desk at Westwood STAR Tutoring & Enrichment Center on September 2, 2020 in Los Angeles, California.
CDC recommends encouraging everyone to wear a mask in school, regardless of vaccination status

In response to the surge, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday recommended that localities encourage everyone in schools to wear masks indoors, regardless of their vaccination status. The American Academy of Pediatrics made a similar recommendation earlier this month.
Florida is currently experiencing high community transmission of Covid-19, according to data from the CDC. The state is one of 35 with a more than 50% increase in new cases during the past week compared to the previous week, according to Johns Hopkins University.
Meanwhile, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis met privately with a panel of experts Monday, who effectively reinforced his anti-mask position in schools, warning that if the federal government and school districts push for masks in classrooms, a special session of the legislature is not out of the question.
Los Angeles, CaliforniaJune 23, 2021Students wearing masks head to lunch break during summer school at Hooper Avenue School on June 23, 2021. (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
The 3 largest school districts plan to require masks. But other big districts are banned from issuing mask mandates

“Parents know what’s best for their children; therefore, parents in Florida are empowered to make their own choices with regards to masking,” DeSantis’ spokesperson Christina Pushaw said Tuesday.
Barbara Rodas, who was at the Broward County protest, told WFOR she doesn’t want her 6-year-old daughter to have to wear a mask in school.
“I’m here to advocate for her and for her school friends,” she told the local station.
The mask requirement workshop has been postponed until July 28, Leonardi said, noting there will be new security.
Classes in the district will begin August 18, according to its website.
CNN’s Giovanna Van Leeuwen, Rosa Flores, Kacey Cherry, John Couwels and Tina Burnside contributed to this report.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
She died in four days. I want to know more details as to why.
I'm seriously not being mean in any way because this is a topic near to my heart.
This is the lady who passed.

If your BMI puts you in the obese category, there is a laundry list of co-morbidities, specifically those affecting the heart and lungs, that a respiratory virus can trigger that will have you in trouble fast. The reason is because now your body which was in overdrive to do the basics to fuel a larger body now has to split its efforts to fight a virus that is actively making those functions harder to do.

Crackers Phinn

It's too much like right for people to not selfishly put other people at risk when they don't have to. Honestly I want to punch this broad in the throat on your behalf. She has committed a friendship/acquaintanceship ending act as far as I'm concerned.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
So our COVID testing nurse came in today and started coughing up a lung. Said she's had the cough for 10 days :oops: and went to urgent care and all they gave her was some mucinex and tylenol. And oh yeah, she had 2 positives during the clinic yesterday :nono:. First time in almost 2 weeks.

I'm need you to get out, right now. I of course said this in a polite and professional tone.

Upper management is now like "but, but... who will do the testing?"
Me: Don't know, and don't care but it's not her. She's leaving. And if she stays, I'm going then.
Mgmt: We'll find a replacement.

She's been getting worked up for the past 45 minutes and then she's going home. I waiting for her to gather her things so I can bomb her station with some Cloralen and Lysol.

Crackers Phinn

So our COVID testing nurse came in today and started coughing up a lung. Said she's had the cough for 10 days :oops: and went to urgent care and all they gave her was some mucinex and tylenol. And oh yeah, she had 2 positives during the clinic yesterday :nono:. First time in almost 2 weeks.

I'm need you to get out, right now. I of course said this in a polite and professional tone.

Upper management is now like "but, but... who will do the testing?"
Me: Don't know, and don't care but it's not her. She's leaving. And if she stays, I'm going then.
Mgmt: We'll find a replacement.

She's been getting worked up for the past 45 minutes and then she's going home. I waiting for her to gather her things so I can bomb her station with some Cloralen and Lysol.
The most disturbing thing that I keep reading in this thread is nurses testing positive fully symptomatic showing up to work looking at everybody like "what?"