The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

SoniT

It's crazy how much attention that Nicki Minaj mess is getting. They talked about it on The View today and I also saw Al Sharpton's National Action Network put out a statement in support of Joy Reid. If she hadn't done the "my cousin's friend said.." hearsay thing, I don't think people would be talking about it days later.

pear

I’m getting tired of some black women getting angry at other black women who have expressed disappointment and anger at Nicki’s irresponsible statements by saying that we are not “protecting black women”.

Ok…so does protecting black women now mean going along with anything that comes out of someone’s mouth even if it’s ignorant, as long as it is said by a black woman :confused:. One could argue that pushing back on Nicki’s statements is what is actually protecting black women!!

I don’t agree with people attacking her by calling her a coon or Uncle Thomasina because some of those folks calling her names making her 20+ million followers angry or disengaged could really use that opportunity to try to reach some of them who are willing to listen and offer up facts and clear up misconceptions.

naturalgyrl5199

Ya'll
Pray for pregnant women. One of my client's kids are now in the care of their grandmother 4 hrs away. She was 17 weeks pregnant with twins. Got COVID in July and was hospitalized. After a week or so, then had to sedate her and put her in a coma...she was in a coma for 3 weeks. She came out of it (thank goodness) and now has a trach. She lost the twins. The stress of possibly being evicted caused her to lose one shortly after the COVID diagnosis. Then they had to take the other twin as it passed away while she was in the coma due to lack of oxygen. She could have gone into labor while being under. So they really had no choice.
She is now rehabbing in that hospital and waiting for an opening at a rehab facility. She can talk a little but it will be a long recovery. Again, she is on a trach and cannot be d/c home. She has a 4 yr old and 8 month old child. :(

dynamic1

I hate that Nikki Minaj jumped into this discussion. Now she is playing victim.

I would never tell people that the vaccine is the FIX or the shield. But she is talking about her "cousin's friend" as if she can verify this is what happened for real. She needs to understand that in a public sphere of influence, you need to verify what you hear.
She could've told people to do their research if that's how she felt without repeating the hearsay with such limited information. What was it that made her believe this was true? What questions did she ask her source?

She's not saying, "do your research on what I just said too, because it may not be true!", instead she's doubling down but isn't stepping up with details to even support her post.

Why do you need to tell everyone you're not getting a vaccine for the Met Gala anyway? It's her right to do so but I'm starting to think she only posted the rumor based on her disapproval of the Met Gala's vaccination requirement.

What upsets me most is the number of minorities that have put themselves and others in harms way with the primary reason - distrust of the medical community. I need everyone to ask these free floating, antimasking, antivaxxing black people, "when they're making decisions on whose life to save now that the hospitals are approaching capacity, do you think it's going to be yours?"

naturalgyrl5199

I agree it should be investigated. But unfortunately THAT kind of evidence will take time to come to any sure conclusions. Right now, we are seeing more anecdotal evidence of women having altered cycles after being infected with COVID. This was even before vaccines. Its only anecdotal. Because the vaccine was approved so fast, we have to wait to see what some of the science shows. Enough time hasn't passed to see real results. Women have altered periods for months sometimes cause--LIFE. I remember a minor car accident throwing my cycle off for a solid 6 months. If I had gotten a specific treatment around the same time, would I have KNOWN for sure it was the accident or the vaccine?

Then you have anecdotal evidence from people like me who have had no issues with my cycle since being vaccinated. And I think I'm part of the majority. Now the question is--who gone sign up for such a study?
No one or few. Few for an incentive (which--may not be ethical, but not uncommon) . So that nixes truly ethical Randomized Controlled Trials, or blinded trials (again, unethical). Which is the gold standard of non-biased research.
So all you have really for quality evidence is observational, prospective studies. Longitudinal studies (following these women for at least a year or more---5 years would net high quality evidence) would be best. It would be super expensive. Then maybe in 10 years someone will do a meta-analysis and truly find out what happened. Or even better, a Systematic Review, one of the highest quality research reviews we have right now.

Time will tell. Which is why right now, so many vaccine hesitant don't know what to do. By the time we truly know if these vaccines were ever really safe...COVID will be a far gone conclusion.
minus a significant percent of the world's population.

naturalgyrl5199

To F/U with my above post...I find it strange when I'm on social media, where some of my anti-v or vaccine hesitant acquaintances demand MORE RESEARCH (which takes time and millions)....but they don't trust the research that's out there already. We show them EXACTLY how the vaccine was made, what mRNA vaccines ARE, how vaccines and mRNA vaccines work in the body, with the understanding and full disclosure of said ingredients, and the research so far (case studies, the actual vaccine trials of the vaccines being injected right now)...is all out there.

But then---"its not enough!" and "we need more!" Conclusions on the "fallout" will take at least a decade. And the evidence will still be a preponderance. Vitamin D research presents a preponderance of evidence. Even though for many there are sure benefits short and long term on supplementation. But there is a wide body of evidence refuting Vitamin D on a population scale as well. But people still RIGHTLY track their vitamin D status and supplement accordingly.

naturalgyrl5199

She could've told people to do their research if that's how she felt without repeating the hearsay with such limited information. What was it that made her believe this was true? What questions did she ask her source?

She's not saying, "do your research on what I just said too, because it may not be true!", instead she's doubling down but isn't stepping up with details to even support her post.

Why do you need to tell everyone you're not getting a vaccine for the Met Gala anyway? It's her right to do so but I'm starting to think she only posted the rumor based on her disapproval of the Met Gala's vaccination requirement.

What upsets me most is the number of minorities that have put themselves and others in harms way with the primary reason - distrust of the medical community. I need everyone to ask these free floating, antimasking, antivaxxing black people, "when they're making decisions on whose life to save now that the hospitals are approaching capacity, do you think it's going to be yours?"
This is what it was about. I think she is against the vaccine but repeating hearsay is unprofessional for ANYBODY in a public space and can be harmful. tRUMP made one comment about hydrochloroquine, and bleach on skin...The majority of us was like "He WILDIN!" And YET Poison Control was inundated with calls about burned skin, bleach injections, etc. I kid you not.

Leeda.the.Paladin

We have located a spot for a field hospital but we have no one to work it. Infrastructure on how to do that (despite having a blueprint on how to build one in 24 hours has been around for decades) is dismantled thanks to our Gov in FL.
Mississippi has a field hopsital set up in the PARKING GARAGE of one of our hospitals. They've got Samaritan's Purse workers manning it.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Ya'll
Pray for pregnant women. One of my client's kids are now in the care of their grandmother 4 hrs away. She was 17 weeks pregnant with twins. Got COVID in July and was hospitalized. After a week or so, then had to sedate her and put her in a coma...she was in a coma for 3 weeks. She came out of it (thank goodness) and now has a trach. She lost the twins. The stress of possibly being evicted caused her to lose one shortly after the COVID diagnosis. Then they had to take the other twin as it passed away while she was in the coma due to lack of oxygen. She could have gone into labor while being under. So they really had no choice.
She is now rehabbing in that hospital and waiting for an opening at a rehab facility. She can talk a little but it will be a long recovery. Again, she is on a trach and cannot be d/c home. She has a 4 yr old and 8 month old child. :(
This is so awful. I’ve heard so many similar stories.

Please get vaccinated if you are expecting.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
Texted my friend on Saturday and just heard back from her this morning. She's not feeling well. :( She's headed for a chest ct shortly and has an echo scheduled this afternoon. :confused:
Good news is chest CT was clear ... still awaiting results from the echo ... She says she still doesn't feel well and at her latest doc appointment on Wednesday doc said she's just recovering really slowly. The doc says she seems like she will be one of those patients that takes 3 months or more to fully recover. I'm just happy she's recovering and not in the hospital. (She's tested negative a few times so the virus is out of her system).

yamilee21

I think it is a given that vaccines alone won’t stop Covid, since Israel generally has been like Florida - everything opened without masks or social distancing - the minute they had a majority of eligible people vaccinated. Why is this even a question? If the numbers were looking bad in Israel already, just wait until the post-Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur numbers come in. Those holidays marked the beginning of the second wave in New York City last fall.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
"National coronavirus czar Salman Zarka said that 50 percent of the confirmed 10,556 new cases on Monday were children.

Zarka said the ministry had urged the government to restrict large gatherings and ban events such as a major student festival in Eilat, crowds at soccer matches, and an annual pilgrimage by tens of thousands of Israelis to Uman, Ukraine, to visit the grave of a venerated rabbi."

There are lots of Jewish pilgrimages throughout the year to other countries and people bring the variants back with them to Israel. Since the kids can't be vaccinated this is what happens.

Crackers Phinn

I hate that Nikki Minaj jumped into this discussion. Now she is playing victim.

I would never tell people that the vaccine is the FIX or the shield. But she is talking about her "cousin's friend" as if she can verify this is what happened for real. She needs to understand that in a public sphere of influence, you need to verify what you hear.
I hate that she's playing dumb or is actually dumb enough to act like people are paying more attention to "do your own research" statement as opposed to the giant testicle old wives tale she told.

Crackers Phinn

I’m getting tired of some black women getting angry at other black women who have expressed disappointment and anger at Nicki’s irresponsible statements by saying that we are not “protecting black women”.

Ok…so does protecting black women now mean going along with anything that comes out of someone’s mouth even if it’s ignorant, as long as it is said by a black woman :confused:. One could argue that pushing back on Nicki’s statements is what is actually protecting black women!!

I don’t agree with people attacking her by calling her a coon or Uncle Thomasina because some of those folks calling her names making her 20+ million followers angry or disengaged could really use that opportunity to try to reach some of them who are willing to listen and offer up facts and clear up misconceptions.
The bolded is why I'm like naw, this nonsense cannot stand unchallenged. What's extra crazy is whether cousins friend and his STD ridden balls really exists or not, Nicki put whatever was left of her credibility on the line in the name of testicles. Not even women's fertility or health but some jilted dude with swollen nuts.

Crackers Phinn

I just got the call that my antivax, hotep adjacent, rapper, nephew with 8 kids who apparently distrusts vaccinations as much as he distrusts condoms got the Rona as well as his gf. He been running from state to state doing club promotions so I figured it was only a matter of time. He has visited multiple elderly but thankfully vaccinated relatives in the last 2 weeks. Don't nobody listen to me when I tell them not to let these fools in they house but I digress.

Crackers Phinn

I think it is a given that vaccines alone won’t stop Covid, since Israel generally has been like Florida - everything opened without masks or social distancing - the minute they had a majority of eligible people vaccinated. Why is this even a question? If the numbers were looking bad in Israel already, just wait until the post-Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur numbers come in. Those holidays marked the beginning of the second wave in New York City last fall.
You ain't said nothing but a word. The Orthodox everywhere they can be found will not use electricity on the High Holy Days which means in person services only. They will pack themselves inside or outside a venue like little circumcised sardines and breathe all over each other.

This is a gathering outside in Australia last month, a year and change deep into a pandemic. Even though it's outside, how safe does this look? This isn't even for a holiday. Multiply this time everywhere Orthodox are in the world and the outbreak rules write themselves. Meanwhile, yesterday I was watching services from the comfort of my bed live and direct on the Tube of You.