The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

fluffyforever

I’m utterly confused by this story. I read it twice and I still don’t know what they are trying to say.
They are trying to say that the faster everyone gets Covid or a vaccination, the faster the pandemic will end because we will all be immune. So it’s a good thing that delta is causing so many people to get infected so quickly. We can all go back to normal very soon!

However they don’t seem to take into account that immunity seems to weaken in both the vaccinated and unvaccinated, with people able to get Covid multiple times.

They also don’t seem to factor that with mutations, immunity from one variant isn’t always going to give protection from other variants.

naturalgyrl5199

I’m utterly confused by this story. I read it twice and I still don’t know what they are trying to say.

This excerpt is the take-home for me :(
“The current surge has likely peaked in the United States, but it may be a very slow off-ramp,” Dowdy said. “If the criterion is that we want to be back to where we were in June, that could still be a long way away, and by a long way, I mean it could be months. ... We're going to have to learn to adapt and accept some level of disease ongoing.”

I'm pretty sure we are looking at the peak as far as the worst of it. So people will applaud and celebrate this news....but then ignore the facts like this little excerpt:

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice warned people last week that “we're going to pile the body bags up until we reach a point in time to where we have enough people that have natural immunities and enough people that are vaccinated.”

Like bruh (the Govornor of the state with the worst COVID track record mentioned in this very article) is basically saying "we know more are gonna die--BUT.....!"............ And that's the human cost that people absolutely IGNORE. On a HUMAN level, over 120,000 MINOR children have lost at least one parent. Many of these have lost BOTH. The human cost is the lost of souls that were just walking around healthy not 18 months ago. The human cost has been our mental health. The human cost is the rapid rise in homelessness. Especially among black women who are overwhelmingly most likely to be head of household to minor children, or often grandchildren or perhaps a disabled older adult. Not to mention the uptick in disability due to long haulers. I'm happy to see the beginning of the end of this thing...but people will forget about what happened (the everyday stuff I mentioned) and even re-vote for the people who handled this so badly. The GOP really are okay with us MUDDLING through no matter how many people died. They will be able to say they promoted the vaccine or mitigated risk, while protecting FREE-DUM, while standing on a hill of body bags :(

naturalgyrl5199

*insert that Cardi B meme of her saying "what was the reason?!"*

Our kids are doomed.

Ya'll my oldest who tested positive-----ONLY was tested to try and get her back in school within the 5 day rule because she was asymptomatic. Had we sent her back on day 8 (as asymptomatic kids are allowed if on quarantined due to exposure) she would have been right in school with her covid positive self.

Lord help us.

Lord help us.

Note: the new Surgeon General in FL who DeSatan hand picked is the black man/doctor who was out in front of the WH with that one crazy African lady doctor who said Hydrochloroquine was a tried and true cure (Trump supporters). Google him.

oneastrocurlie

Our kids are doomed.

Ya'll my oldest who tested positive-----ONLY was tested to try and get her back in school within the 5 day rule because she was asymptomatic. Had we sent her back on day 8 (as asymptomatic kids are allowed if on quarantined due to exposure) she would have been right in school with her covid positive self.

Lord help us.

Lord help us.

Note: the new Surgeon General in FL who DeSatan hand picked is the black man/doctor who was out in front of the WH with that one crazy African lady doctor who said Hydrochloroquine was a tried and true cure (Trump supporters). Google him.

My mom works in a school and said parents are sending kids back before their quarantine is over and with no test results.

It's a mess. It's a mess. It's a mess.

naturalgyrl5199

They just do anything for the sheer hell of it. Like, how does this even work? How does one parent have the right to expose other parents children?
I.
Just.
Can't.
This is what my brother is saying is happening in Texas. DeSatan wants to do everything Abbot does. They are already rallying the capitol to try and prevent the abortion rule coming to FL.

This is because parents are upset of having to be out of work so many days, and most likely employers complaining about so much absenteeism. I get it. I'm really struggling through with my kid at home. Healthy as a horse and being her whole 3 YR OLD SELF. I had to gather husband again today because he made a comment this morning (when I was sharing her shenanigans) saying "well you're the one who refused to send her."
I told him to STHU. But I'll share this new tidbit with him.

Today my 3 YO was struggling to write her letters and decided to tell my clients as much while I was on the phone and then peeked in VERY LOUDLY into a budget meeting with my boss and my assistant. My job is extremely family friendly so they just chuckled. But geesh. I'm a stickler for professionalism and its just been out the window with this kid.

naturalgyrl5199

My mom works in a school and said parents are sending kids back before their quarantine is over and with no test results.

It's a mess. It's a mess. It's a mess.
Parents here have complained about protocols so the district is funding extra workers to cover calls on the weekend. I'm sure many were blindsided like I was on a MONDAY when they drove up to take their kid to school, just to learn they can't attend cause someone tested positive over the weekend. Unprecedented--I get it...But there are old protocols in place that this state and TX just want to ignore.

The deaths of students and teachers haven't been enough so I guess this is how it is. Its hard because majority of children who get it are either asymptomatic completely like mine, or they have at most a cough or sneeze or what looks like allergies. So having them home really doesn't feel like an emergency...and employers unfortunately pressure workers to report ASAP, and are willing to ignore someone who LOOKS fine, coming on back to fill in staff shortages. Its pressing and understandable to a point for me on both sides. I'm not mad being home cause I don't feel like being bothered at the office.

sunshinebeautiful

Black Ambrosia

I think we'll be seeing more stories like this. A middle school in the Detroit area was forced to go virtual because of a rash of resignations. The article doesn't give a number but mentions that 22% of the district's teaching positions are vacant. A teacher friend in Atlanta is exploring different opportunities and plans on leaving after this school year. Said he feels like he's risking his life everyday that he goes to work. He's expecting a mass exodus.

Kanky

I think we'll be seeing more stories like this. A middle school in the Detroit area was forced to go virtual because of a rash of resignations. The article doesn't give a number but mentions that 22% of the district's teaching positions are vacant. A teacher friend in Atlanta is exploring different opportunities and plans on leaving after this school year. Said he feels like he's risking his life everyday that he goes to work. He's expecting a mass exodus.

A lot of school districts have a huge shortage of bus drivers as well. I don’t blame them for quitting. It is super risky and doesn’t pay well at all.

dancinstallion

This is terrible. I truly believe the government has a hand in people dying because they are limiting access to treatments and information.
They only want people to take the vaccines and I know why. If people already have antibodies why do they need to take the vaccine?

Regeneron works. I have a patient that didn't take Regeneron because he was skeptical of side effects :nono: not realizing the side effects of covid is much worse. His wife took it and has now recovered with no hospitalization while her husband is intubated and sedated for one month and is still testing positive 6 weeks later. :nono:

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

This is terrible. I truly believe the government has a hand in people dying because they are limiting access to treatments and information.
They only want people to take the vaccines and I know why.

Regeneron works. I have a patient that didn't take Regeneron because he was skeptical of side effects :nono: not realizing the side effects of covid is much worse. His wife took it and has now recovered with no hospitalization while her husband is intubated and sedated for one month and is still testing positive 6 weeks later. :nono:
Nah. They are handing it out like candy. It was bound to run low.

and people who didn’t get the vaccination magically are ok with getting this new man made treatment when they get scared,

dancinstallion

Nah. They are handing it out like candy. It was bound to run low.

and people who didn’t get the vaccination magically are ok with getting this new man made treatment when they get scared,

But the article states that the government is limiting supplies not that the treatment is running low. The article says the drug is massed produced. So the companies can keep mass producing it. If this treatment is keeping people from being hospitalized then why limit it? Isn't that the same thing the vaccine is doing?

Some people are ok with getting it and some people are not but the option should still be available. My patient wasn't ok with taking it and has suffered the consequences.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

But the article states that the government is limiting supplies not that the treatment is running low. The article says the drug is massed produced. So the companies can keep mass producing it. If this treatment is keeping people from being hospitalized then why limit it? Isn't that the same thing the vaccine is doing?

Some people are ok with getting it and some people are not bit thr option should still be available. My patient wasn't ok with taking it and has suffered the consequences.

We’ve seen a significant increase in demand from the community,” said Dr. Jeffrey Akers, the CEO of Pharmaceutical Services at Appalachian Regional Health. “And we’ve stepped up our efforts to provide the monoclonal antibodies as well.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Supply is holding steady for ARH, but rationing is preventing them from expanding services.

”We gave, last week, almost 600 doses,” he said. “So that’s definitely a new record for us. If that trend were to continue then yeah we would definitely not be able to meet that demand based on limited supply.”

ARH hospitals are just some of the locations for monoclonal antibodies in Eastern Kentucky. Baptist Health Corbin is another, and they are facing supply problems as well according to Josh Bowling, the Pharmacy Manager. They even ran out Monday night, and not for the first time.

”This is actually the second time we have temporarily run out of run out of supply,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

They were able to get a shipment the next day, but officials say things will remain inconsistent as long as demand is high and supply low.

Leeda.the.Paladin

The vaccine was mass produced too and there was still a shortage. Mass produced doesn’t mean that something will just be infinitely available no matter the demand.

MaB does work. But it’s provides more passive immunity response (from past information about them) than sustained immunity. Or if someone has some information that counters that, I’d love to read it.

Im just so confused about why people won’t take the vaccine but will run to this treatment. If the vaccine were being limited, then we’d see people crying about it all of a sudden. its Just all crazy

dancinstallion

The vaccine was mass produced too and there was still a shortage. Mass produced doesn’t mean that something will just be infinitely available no matter the demand.

MaB does work. But it’s provides more passive immunity response (from past information about them) than sustained immunity. Or if someone has some information that counters that, I’d love to read it.

Im just so confused about why people won’t take the vaccine but will run to this treatment. If the vaccine were being limited, then we’d see people crying about it all of a sudden. its Just all crazy

Don't be confused because it doesn't really matter why people are taking this treatment over the vaccine. Their reasoning is theirs and it may or may not be logical.

It is a good thing that they are taking something and not being hospitalized or dying from covid. It is better, that they choose this option than nothing at all, or trying to ride covid out and end up hospitalized, dying or with long covid.

The companies said they ran out of a treatments for one day and was able to fill the order the next day. The company said it was a temporary shortage. like everything else that has a high demand.

Demand for MaB has been pretty high and they are keeping up with it. Of course nothing is infinitely supplied or available. But it shouldn't be limited if they are able to produce more to keep up with demand.
If the demand increases more than what can be supplied then some people just won't be able to get it, period. End of story until it comes back in stock. These people are taking a risk any way because the vaccine is not an option they want or else they would have taken it already.