The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Melaninme

She's half wrong. They are still recommending people under 30 and pregnant women get vaccinated.

Source from her own tweet:
From what I've read,

I believe she mentioned only Moderna was being halted in her tweet. Not sure why she is half wrong?
From what I can tell, she didn't say those under 30 are not to receive any mRNA,. She stated Moderna's mRNA.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

No everything is read prior to posting.

I believe that most who repond so negatively may not understand that the postings are not directed at anyone personally, or to their point of view, decisions made or beliefs. I don't believe in calling people stupid nor belittling their beliefs even though I may not agree with them. I didn't like that earlier in this thread another member wanted to share her take on this pandemic from a personal standpoint, but felt she first had to put out a disclaimer stating that she didn't want to go into any debates with anyone about her decision not to vaccinate, etc.... I commended her for her bravery.

I do believe that the purpose of this thread is to be a safe place for those who may have opposing views to feel free to post any news, tips, etc...regarding Covid-19, mRNAs, Mandates, mRNA injuries, immunity boosting, alternative medicines besides the mRNA, covid-19 treatments, etc....without being jumped on and scrutinized at almost every turn. Members should feel free to post without being attacked for their post and not have to constantly defend their beliefs, decisons made, posts shared, etc...or go into hiding (no longer will post in this thread)

I believe that there are other members who would like to share and contribute to this thread their beliefs, personal experiences, news, etc..., but don't because of the vitriol.

Some of the articles are borderline misinformation. That's not safe, that's dangerous.

For example....
From what I've read,

I believe she mentioned only Moderna was being halted in her tweet. Not sure why she is half wrong?
From what I can tell, she didn't say those under 30 are not to receive any mRNA,. She stated Moderna's mRNA.

The way her tweet is framed she basically saying "ha ha, people thought these vaccines were safe and in fact that are not" but she left out the part of the memo where it says "get vaccinated". So she only posted her anti-vax portion of the article and left out the part that didn't fit her narrative.

It's very much like someone saying how they got covid and didn't die so they don't need the vaccine but leave out the part where they spent 3 months in the hospital, lost 80 pounds, still can't taste or smell, and have a million dollar medical bill.

If I read an article posted and it's not painting the complete picture or is leaving out information, I'm going to respond with that I found. That's not attacking.

Another example:

Alarming?? That word isn't mentioned once in the article she shared. And by alarming she means 16 I guess. 16 out of I'm not sure of how many because the article doesn't say. Great they are doing their duly diligence. Not so great how she's presenting it.

People not getting vaccinated? At this point. Whatever. Cool. Do you.

Trying to sway and promote other people not getting vaccinated based on half info with holes in it?? Not so cool. That's how she is coming across and that's how some of these article are being written.

Last edited:

yamilee21

Statistics should be a required part of the educational curriculum in middle and high school. So much of the Covid misinformation is due to an inability to understand statistics. :nono:

Right now, 40% of the daily new Covid cases in NYC are occurring in fully vaccinated people. One could assume that means the vaccines aren’t working. In reality, there are as many as 11 Covid cases among unvaccinated people for every case among a vaccinated person; and 11 hospitalizations for unvaccinated Covid cases for every hospitalization of a fully vaccinated person. Death statistics are similar. Where there is little difference between the vaccinated and unvaccinated is among the elderly, particularly those older than 85. But that is to be expected, since immune function decreases with age. When Covid started, social distancing and masks were recommended so that we could protect the most vulnerable, which included the elderly, and that is the same reason we have the vaccines. But in the U.S., we live in a me first me-only society, so we don’t care about protecting the vulnerable.

Melaninme

Some of the articles are borderline misinformation. That's not safe, that's dangerous.

For example....

The way her tweet is framed she basically saying "ha ha, people thought these vaccines were safe and in fact that are not" but she left out the part of the memo where it says "get vaccinated". So she only posted her anti-vax portion of the article and left out the part that didn't fit her narrative.

It's very much like someone saying how they got covid and didn't die so they don't need the vaccine but leave out the part where they spent 3 months in the hospital, lost 80 pounds, still can't taste or smell, and have a million dollar medical bill.

If I read an article posted and it's not painting the complete picture or is leaving out information, I'm going to respond with that I found. That's not attacking.

Another example:

Alarming?? That word isn't mentioned once in the article she shared. And by alarming she means 16 I guess. 16 out of I'm not sure of how many because the article doesn't say. Great they are doing their duly diligence. Not so great how she's presenting it.

People not getting vaccinated? At this point. Whatever. Cool. Do you.

Trying to sway and promote other people not getting vaccinated based on half info with holes in it?? Not so cool. That's how she is coming across and that's how some of these article are being written.
Wow, you got all of that from one tweet?

First of all, she and her family are fully vaccinated. She is, however, against the mandate.

Also, the information is not misinformation. It's just not what you want to accept or hear and that's ok. Many people who are dealing with the aftermath of taking these mRNAs are being ignored and told that what they are sharing is misinformation and or not due to taking these mRNAs and that in and of itself is dangerous, shameful and sad. I, for one, am glad to have access to different, reliable articles, truthful testimonials, data and studies, because this pandemic isn't one sided as the media wants to portray.

And if it's really cool with you and others that one doesn't get vaccinated, "Do you", then why all the vitriol?

#imgoingtocontinuetodomeandpostwhatifeelmatters

Last edited:

Kanky

I believe that most who repond so negatively may not understand that the postings are not directed at anyone personally, or to their point of view, decisions made or beliefs. I don't believe in calling people stupid nor belittling their beliefs even though I may not agree with them. I didn't like that earlier in this thread another member wanted to share her take on this pandemic from a personal standpoint, but felt she first had to put out a disclaimer stating that she didn't want to go into any debates with anyone about her decision not to vaccinate, etc.... I commended her for her bravery.

I do believe that the purpose of this thread is to be a safe place for those who may have opposing views to feel free to post any news, tips, etc...regarding Covid-19, mRNAs, Mandates, mRNA injuries, immunity boosting, alternative medicines besides the mRNA, covid-19 treatments, etc....without being jumped on and scrutinized at almost every turn. Members should feel free to post without being attacked for their post and not have to constantly defend their beliefs, decisons made, posts shared, etc...or go into hiding (no longer willing to post in this thread)

I believe that there are other members who would like to share and contribute to this thread their beliefs, personal experiences, news, etc..., but don't because of the vitriol.
There’s no vitriol, but all opinions aren’t equal. Posting some click baity nonsense from a rightwing “news” source doesn’t really help anyone and may in fact cause harm. I think that people just want higher quality articles.

Melaninme

There’s no vitriol, but all opinions aren’t equal. Posting some click baity nonsense from a rightwing “news” source doesn’t really help anyone and may in fact cause harm. I think that people just want higher quality articles.
Wow.

oneastrocurlie

@Melaninme
I pulled a couple of her tweets and scrolled through her feed cause cherry picking ain't my thing. Great that she's vaccinated. So are Fox News employees. So is Trump. So are all these Republican governors. Hypocrites hypocriting. Nothing new there.

Not an ounce of anything I've said has been cruel or bitter. Sarcasm? Sure. Vaccine side effect I guess.

I hate misinformation. And my vax superpower is to highlight when I see it.

Melaninme

@Melaninme
I pulled a couple of her tweets and scrolled through her feed cause cherry picking ain't my thing. Great that she's vaccinated. So are Fox News employees. So is Trump. So are all these Republican governors. Hypocrites hypocriting. Nothing new there.

Not an ounce of anything I've said has been cruel or bitter. Sarcasm? Sure. Vaccine side effect I guess.

I hate misinformation. And my vax superpower is to highlight when I see it.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I’m glad you ladies are here to counter misinformation and the presenting of “info” from sketchy sites with no statistically valid actual evidence. I gave up back with the 2020 election threads, as well as the “do you regret threads” cause there’s some willful ignorance or straight up gaslighting being attempted.

I didn’t used to suspect folks on this site, but the fact that some only show up around elections to discourage democratic votes and foment division while others seem hellbent (yep I said it, I’ve had a glass of wine) to promote the “hair on fire” articles that appear to be pulled straight off of Parler, now I do. Certain things are starting to sound like conspiracy alley :blah: from over on dat other site that shall not be named.

naturalgyrl5199

My job's CEO just said how it's looking like the company will be able to resume the return the the work plan in about a month due to the failing cases.

I laughed in Thanksgiving. Mind you outside of the staffing shortages every company is faces, the company is doing fine sales wise. Better than prior years even. Further proving that being in the office is kinda pointless for most of us.
These CEOs think its a game. They ought to be bending over backwards for the little staff they have on board rather than making them commute back to the office. I am about to push out some big time raises and I got a girl about to leave to work the same job in another city. It will be extremely difficult to replace her.
The Great Resignation ain't over by any means.

naturalgyrl5199

The US has a 97% literacy rate but 47% Reading COMPREHENSION RATE.
We are good at reading words. We don't understand 1/2 of what is being read. :cry3::confused:

So I'm never surprised people cannot interpret high level scientific research. Nor were they paying attention IF they took research methods or any courses in population studies, viruses, endemics and pandemics. People can barely read FB statuses or someone's meme without feeling angry, confused or "some type of way." Doctors (MDs) and certain PhD level folk aren't taught this. Most people in the Pharma industry do. Most people with DrPH (Doctorate in public health) haven't been coming out against it. People with a PhD (in education, or chemistry or random non-related science) or MD have the least understanding and the absolute most to say. These MDs are the same ones the PH industry had to regulate their relationships with Pharma.

The frustration about "waiting until there is more science" is valid---but I'll tell you why its moot.

Had this pandemic spread the SAME as COVID, but other than the worst being death, and the mild symptoms were say, a cold AND little blood came out your eyes or pores or your skin turned green or something like a zombie but you were perfectly fine otherwise....but you didn't die, people would overthrow the government if they WAITED 2-3 years like anti-vaxxers are asking "science" to do. Imagine if at the beginning of the pandemic, Trump would have said--we have a vaccine, but we are not pushing for it to be available until 2025....the death rate would be 4-5x as worse during the 2nd wave, and 10X worse in the US (think India) when the Delta variant hit.

back to Pandemics and Endemics 101. The protocol is to push out an antidote as fast as possible is to reduce death.
We benefit from a relatively healthy and robust public health system to where children don't die from RSV, contaminated food or water, cholera, dysentery and the like. That same public health system is responsible for Disaster Response. Which is a process. No one respects it because most people are healthy but the potential of infection with no ability to predict who will live or die is still a huge question mark. But people are lost in the big picture and alternative facts are "okay." No one trusts the same government who has a system in place to make life as we know it livable because all of a sudden you can suddenly question (and millions will agree with said misinformation) 100 year old science. These are some DARK DARK DAYS.

naturalgyrl5199

I do believe that the purpose of this thread is to be a safe place for those who may have opposing views to feel free to post any news, tips, etc...regarding Covid-19, mRNAs, Mandates, mRNA injuries, immunity boosting, alternative medicines besides the mRNA, covid-19 treatments, etc....without being jumped on and scrutinized at almost every turn. Members should feel free to post without being attacked for their post and not have to constantly defend their beliefs, decisons made, posts shared, etc...or go into hiding (no longer willing to post in this thread)

The problem is the misinformation that you might be contributing to. There should be no argument about personal medical decisions. Some people in this thread literally CANNOT vaccinate. I have said to at least one person as such.

Also, I shouldn't be able to pick the information apart you are sharing as easily as I can. A lot of it is sleight of hand, smoke and mirrors and that's not right. The article that quotes that pathologist and cancer in women is something for people to consider in their decision-making. But people have taken those observations and made a decision not to vaccinate, only to die themselves or have a pregnancy demise because people outside this site underestimate the danger COVID poses. Their same relatives who are anti-vaxx are telling them not to vaxx based on extremely limited evidence that hasn't proven true for the majority of women who are 10 months into their vaccine. The same relatives who won't help contribute to the funeral of the mother, baby, or help with the care of the children left behind. Misinformation can be a death sentence. But the government lost the fight on control of it. Working with families as my source of income, I see it firsthand and SMH because I knew the woman was ON THE FENCE and choosing not to vaccinate based on limited evidence. Or choosing not to mask up based on the same.

And unfortunately, a lot of anti-vaxx folk are also anti-me, anti-you, anti-women, anti-black folk issues. And by sharing those websites you are inadvertently promoting them. It doesn't mean YOU ARE.
I think this is a safe space and you shouldn't be getting any arguments about your PERSONAL BELIEFS which I don't know if you have shared them or even laid them out. I know people who enthusiastically went and vaccinated themselves and share a lot of anti-vaxx stuff so I don't assume anything about anyone. I myself have a healthy distrust of government to a point. Just understand that in the public sphere and public spaces, social media, news, etc....a lot of anti-vaxx stuff are also spread by racist, anti-masking, antigovernment folk, and a lot of what you share are OBSERVATIONS, not proven facts that we can rely on. Which is why these decisions should be personal.

Also, it being a safe space doesn't mean we aren't going comment on things we think are questionable.

naturalgyrl5199

The US has a 97% literacy rate but 47% Reading COMPREHENSION RATE.
We are good at reading words. We don't understand 1/2 of what is being read. :cry3::confused:

So I'm never surprised people cannot interpret high level scientific research. Nor were they paying attention IF they took research methods or any courses in population studies, viruses, endemics and pandemics. People can barely read FB statuses or someone's meme without feeling angry, confused or "some type of way." Doctors (MDs) and certain PhD level folk aren't taught this. Most people in the Pharma industry do. Most people with DrPH (Doctorate in public health) haven't been coming out against it. People with a PhD (in education, or chemistry or random non-related science) or MD have the least understanding and the absolute most to say. These MDs are the same ones the PH industry had to regulate their relationships with Pharma.

The frustration about "waiting until there is more science" is valid---but I'll tell you why its moot.

Had this pandemic spread the SAME as COVID, but other than the worst being death, and the mild symptoms were say, a cold AND little blood came out your eyes or pores or your skin turned green or something like a zombie but you were perfectly fine otherwise....but you didn't die, people would overthrow the government if they WAITED 2-3 years like anti-vaxxers are asking "science" to do. Imagine if at the beginning of the pandemic, Trump would have said--we have a vaccine, but we are not pushing for it to be available until 2025....the death rate would be 4-5x as worse during the 2nd wave, and 10X worse in the US (think India) when the Delta variant hit.

back to Pandemics and Endemics 101. The protocol is to push out an antidote as fast as possible is to reduce death.
We benefit from a relatively healthy and robust public health system to where children don't die from RSV, contaminated food or water, cholera, dysentery and the like. That same public health system is responsible for Disaster Response. Which is a process. No one respects it because most people are healthy but the potential of infection with no ability to predict who will live or die is still a huge question mark. But people are lost in the big picture and alternative facts are "okay." No one trusts the same government who has a system in place to make life as we know it livable because all of a sudden you can suddenly question (and millions will agree with said misinformation) 100 year old science. These are some DARK DARK DAYS.
When I say "people" I greatly mean the public sphere.

naturalgyrl5199

Wow, you got all of that from one tweet?

First of all, she and her family are fully vaccinated. She is, however, against the mandate.

Also, the information is not misinformation. It's just not what you want to accept or hear and that's ok. Many people who are dealing with the aftermath of taking these mRNAs are being ignored and told that what they are sharing is misinformation and or not due to taking these mRNAs and that in and of itself is dangerous, shameful and sad. I, for one, am glad to have access to different, reliable articles, truthful testimonials, data and studies, because this pandemic isn't one sided as the media wants to portray.

And if it's really cool with you and others that one doesn't get vaccinated, "Do you", then why all the vitriol?

#imgoingtocontinuetodomeandpostwhatifeelmatters
They are sharing observations of their experience after the mRNA. But we don't know. Are their feelings valid? YES. Wholeheartedly. The message is getting mixed and right now the ultimate consensus is the vaccine might kill you. People are still spreading articles going "Look! Look at all these vaccinated people WITH COVID---when we said 100x its not a PREVENTATIVE. So the true definition and meaningfulness vaccines provide is LOST. So why is the fact continued to be repeated as a REASON why not to vaccinate? AND the infections of vaccinated people are used to spread an fallacious message.

Ya'll want the government to stop an initiative based on 0.00001% of the population with adverse reactions that we STILL CANNOT PROVE. This is what you're ALSO sharing.

Seatbelts have a good 40% death prevention rate. You really should wear one. 50 years later and its not changing.

Condoms aren't 100%.

Birth control is 96% but imagine if the Gov't prevented access to it?

Car seats aren't 100%. But you really SHOULD put your kid in a car seat, but people who share what you share want to pull vaccines for LESS.

Share your sources and your articles bc trust me, they ARE GETTING read by many who share your sentiment.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Melaninme

Black Ambrosia

Covid is surging in Europe. Experts say it’s a warning for the U.S.

U.S. states could look at Europe and take it as “a sign that the U.S. might still see resurgences, as well,” evolutionary biologist Tom Wenseleers said.​

Nov. 14, 2021, 4:30 AM EST / Updated Nov. 15, 2021, 10:59 AM EST

As Europe finds itself at the center of the Covid-19 pandemic once again, experts say it should serve as a warning to the U.S. and other countries about the coronavirus’s unremitting nature.

Case numbers have soared across the continent — more than 50 percent last month — and the worrying trend has continued this month as winter begins to bite.

Dr. Hans Kluge, the director of the World Health Organization’s Europe region, warned Nov. 4 that the region was "back at the epicenter of the pandemic," and his words proved prescient.

The WHO said Friday that nearly 2 million cases were reported across Europe in the previous week — the most the region has had in a single week since the pandemic began.

In recent weeks, Germany reported record daily numbers of new infections, with more than 50,000, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The Netherlands also reported more than 16,000 cases — the country’s most since the pandemic began — prompting the government to begin a partial lockdown Saturday that is set to last at least three weeks.

As case numbers surged toward the end of last month, Belgium reimposed some Covid restrictions, including a requirement to wear masks in public places. People also have to show the country’s Covid-19 pass to enter bars, restaurants and fitness clubs. The passport shows that they have been fully vaccinated, have had recent negative tests or have recently recovered from the disease.

The country nonetheless recorded more than 15,000 daily cases last Monday.

Despite the surge, daily death rates in all three countries have remained relatively stable compared with past spikes, and experts have credited high vaccine uptake for weakening the link between the numbers of cases and hospitalizations and deaths.

"Luckily, the high vaccination coverage limits the death toll and hospitalizations there to a large extent," Tom Wenseleers, an evolutionary biologist and biostatistician at KU Leuven, a university in Belgium, said Wednesday in an email.

Belgium, which reported hundreds of deaths at the start of the pandemic and then again last autumn, when a second wave of cases forced a national lockdown, has had its "hospital capacity tested" in recent weeks, Wenseleers said. But overall deaths appear largely to have been decoupled from high case rates, he said.

'Truly disastrous'

However, the same cannot be said for Eastern Europe, where, he said, the situation is "truly disastrous."

Over the last three weeks, Romania, with 591; Bulgaria, with 334; and Latvia, with 64, have reported record daily death numbers, according to Johns Hopkins data. Case numbers have also surged.

Saying the surge was "worrying," Wenseleers said he believed low vaccine uptake and high vaccine hesitancy were largely to blame.

"It’s not due to lack of vaccines," he said, noting that the joint procurement of vaccines at the European Union level meant all 27 member states "were able to buy equivalent quantities of vaccines."

"Despite having access to vaccines, those countries did not manage to convince their population to get vaccinated," he said.

At least 1 in 3 people in countries in eastern Europe do not trust the health care system, compared to an average of 18 percent across the EU, a European Commission poll known as the Eurobarometer found, Reuters reported.

Romania and Bulgaria are among the countries with the lowest rates of vaccine uptake across the continent, according to the EU’s vaccination tracker.

The latest data showed that less than 23 percent of the adult population in Bulgaria had been fully vaccinated, while just over 25 percent had had at least one shot. In Romania, just under 34 percent of the population above age 18 had been fully vaccinated, while almost 38 percent had had at least one dose.

A woman holds a poster at an anti-Covid vaccination protest in Sofia, Bulgaria, last month.Hristo Rusev / Getty Images

The Eurobarometer poll showed that respondents in both countries were among the least likely to express enthusiasm for getting vaccinated.

The vaccination tracker also showed that other Eastern European countries have low vaccination rates compared to their Western neighbors.

That "means that high case rates there translate [into] a very high death toll," Wenseleers said.

Danny Altmann, a professor of immunology at Imperial College London, said that as the first winter with the delta variant approaches, he was "not sure if people in Eastern Europe appreciate how punishing the pandemic continues to be in the time of delta."

Protesters hold a poster reading "Stop compulsory vaccination" at a demonstration against "compulsory" vaccination in Riga, Latvia, in August.Gints Ivuskans / AFP via Getty Images

"It’s unremitting," he said. With some Eastern European countries "at the extreme end of vaccine hesitancy," he added, "there’s no possibility of dealing with this pandemic under these conditions."

In Austria, which has long been a bridge between east and west, the government ordered a nationwide lockdown for unvaccinated people Sunday to slow the fast spread of the coronavirus.

The move means unvaccinated people older than 12 will be banned from leaving their homes from midnight Sunday, except for basic activities like working, food shopping, going for walks — or getting their shots.

“It’s our job as the government of Austria to protect the people," Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg told reporters Sunday in Vienna. “Therefore we decided that starting Monday ... there will be a lockdown for the unvaccinated.”

Epidemiologist Eric Feigl-Ding, a senior fellow at the Federation of American Scientists, said the high death rates should be “a warning” for other countries with low vaccination rates.

While he said he believed the most effective approach is multipronged, including coronavirus measures like mask-wearing and social distancing, he said vaccines and booster shots are critical to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Wenseleers agreed, saying people in the U.S. should take heed of the situation unfolding across Europe.

People wait in line to get their shots at a "marathon of vaccination" at the National Library in Bucharest, Romania, last month. Daniel Mihailescu / AFP via Getty Images

U.S. states both with high and low vaccination rates could take Europe’s case numbers as "a sign that the U.S. might still see resurgences, as well," he said.

On both sides of the Atlantic, "convincing as many people to get vaccinated should be the top priority," along with "setting up booster campaigns" for those most at risk, he said.

TLDR - Covid is spiking in Europe. Western Europe is fairing better because high vaccination rates have limited deaths and hospitalizations. In contrast, Eastern Europe is seeing a spike in hospitalizations and deaths because of skepticism of the health care system and vaccines. This is a indicator of what's to come for the US. We'll likely see resurgences across the country and higher morbidity in states with lower vaccination rates.

yamilee21

We have an awful lot of deer in the United States, and apparently, the deer have an awful lot of Covid. Up to 80 percent of deer sampled from April 2020 through January 2021 in Iowa were infected with Covid. This study examined lymph nodes from roadkill and those killed by hunters, and found active infections, not just antibodies as in a previous study. This is a problem, because…
Widespread infection among North America’s most ubiquitous game species could make eradicating the pathogen even more difficult, especially if they became a reservoir for mutations that eventually spilled back over to humans.
The concern is that if this disease spills over to rodents, we may be doomed.
But there is helpful advice, for any of you who hunt:
In the meantime, several states have advised deer hunters to take precautions when dealing with white-tailed deer: wear rubber gloves and perhaps a mask when field dressing and processing; sanitize hands and instruments after dressing; and bag carcass remains before disposing in trash. Health officials say eating cooked venison carries little risk as long as it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/science/deer-covid-infection.html?referringSource=articleShare

Original study: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.31.466677v1

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
We have an awful lot of deer in the United States, and apparently, the deer have an awful lot of Covid. Up to 80 percent of deer sampled from April 2020 through January 2021 in Iowa were infected with Covid. This study examined lymph nodes from roadkill and those killed by hunters, and found active infections, not just antibodies as in a previous study. This is a problem, because…

The concern is that if this disease spills over to rodents, we may be doomed.
But there is helpful advice, for any of you who hunt:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/science/deer-covid-infection.html?referringSource=articleShare

Original study: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.31.466677v1
:nono: I just can’t. Mother Nature has obviously had enough of us.