The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

MamaBear2012

Got a call today that someone from a birthday dinner I attended last Friday tested positive (It was done at a speak easy, not open to the public). All of sudden, I noticed a scratchy throat. :look:

Had been feeling fine and still did. Got a rapid test. Negative! Thank God. Now, my throat feels fine. :lol: 2 years running and still dodging this thing. I'm fully vaccinated and boosted, but not sure how much longer my streak will go on with this Omicron.
Same. It seems like everyone around me is getting it.

oneastrocurlie

Welp. I assumed wrong. The Supreme Court blocked Biden vaccine/test mandate. I know our President and CEO at my job is happy. They encourage everyone to get vaccinated but don't think it should be mandated but are charging you more for health insurance if you aint :drunk:.

Oh and HR got tired of sending out emails each time someone got covid so she does summary emails at the end of the day now.

Last edited:

ScorpioBeauty09

Last night FH told me his supervisor tested positive. People are supposed to work from home as much as possible but he went to the office for half an hour on Tuesday to do some admin stuff and spoke to his supervisor for a few minutes while keeping their distance. Both were wearing masks. She got exposed by a family member over the holiday who gave it to everyone. I'd bet money that she knew she could be positive before she went to the office. Thank goodness FH was diligent in wearing his mask. He said he saw some co-workers who were not. :nono: FH wanted to go to his parent's house this weekend but he might not now. We spent Wednesday night together so if he was exposed then so was I. Neither of us has any symptoms so far. But I'm annoyed. :angry2: I just got a PCR test last week and it was a stroke of luck that happened. Tests are so hard to come by.

yamilee21

If I hear the new mayor of NYC say that schools are the safest place for kids one more time, I will explode. My kid has just had his 6th exposure since mid-December at school, and my nephew tested positive, also courtesy of a DOE school. Meanwhile, the new administration has apparently disbanded the unit that was working on school exposures/transmission because transmission isn’t occurring in schools. Really?!? :pullhair:

dancinstallion

Covid is sweeping through DS' classes. I got an alert every day since last Thurs. 7 students in total have tested positive :nono: I only imagine how many there are that haven't and won't get tested.

Ds said more students have been wearing masks since coming back from winter break, plus the school put up a ton of signs and posters saying masks recommended so that seems to have helped a little.

Evolving78

Chii

My friend is inviting me a girls weekend in May for her 40th. My husband got wind of it and looked at me super cray.
her mom wants to do a girls night in TONIGHT.

So I gotta be the "unavailable friend"
Makes me hate COVID even more.
Please don’t go.. someone around that age (early 40s) just died. They went into the hospital one day, then died the next. I know some people are tired and want to kick it, but this is serious.

Evolving78

Welp. I assumed wrong. The Supreme Court blocked Biden vaccine/test mandate. I know our President and CEO at my job is happy. They encourage everyone to get vaccinated but don't think it should be mandated but are charging you more for health insurance if you aint :drunk:.

Oh and HR got tired of sending out emails each time someone got covid so she does summary emails at the end of the day now.

Amazon shortened their paid time leave days and General Electric is removing their mandate. We said in this thread it was going to be like this last summer. They were going to stop caring and wave us good luck.

Last edited:

Seattle Slew

WinterinAtl
Covid is sweeping through DS' classes. I got an alert every day since last Thurs. 7 students in total have tested positive :nono: I only imagine how many there are that haven't and won't get tested.

Ds said more students have been wearing masks since coming back from winter break, plus the school put up a ton of signs and posters saying masks recommended so that seems to have helped a little.
Recommended?! It’s not mandatory?!! Lord

ScorpioBeauty09

Last night FH told me his supervisor tested positive. People are supposed to work from home as much as possible but he went to the office for half an hour on Tuesday to do some admin stuff and spoke to his supervisor for a few minutes while keeping their distance. Both were wearing masks. She got exposed by a family member over the holiday who gave it to everyone. I'd bet money that she knew she could be positive before she went to the office. Thank goodness FH was diligent in wearing his mask. He said he saw some co-workers who were not. :nono: FH wanted to go to his parent's house this weekend but he might not now. We spent Wednesday night together so if he was exposed then so was I. Neither of us has any symptoms so far. But I'm annoyed. :angry2: I just got a PCR test last week and it was a stroke of luck that happened. Tests are so hard to come by.
Update: FH did an at-home yesterday and results were negative. He's going to do another one in a couple more days. Still no symptoms from either of us.

snoop

I can’t even get behind or empathize with that mistrust and trauma reasoning anymore. Many of us have had trauma and maltreatment at the hands of healthcare providers. They have no problem taking all the medication in the world for other ailments, but not this?!?? Not falling for that lame excuse anymore. Just being defiant because they can.

Except...(this was late last year)

Dozens of members of Saugeen First Nation in Ontario were given expired COVID-19 vaccines for a month​

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/saugeen-first-nation-expired-pfizer-vaccine-doses-1.6188281

Evolving78

Except...(this was late last year)

Dozens of members of Saugeen First Nation in Ontario were given expired COVID-19 vaccines for a month​

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/saugeen-first-nation-expired-pfizer-vaccine-doses-1.6188281
That has nothing to do with not getting it or being defiant about it. Nobody questions if their pharmacist gives them expired blood pressure medication. They just take it and hope for the best.
And all this will do is just give someone a reason not to.. smh
And I’m talking personal experience from a place of being given terrible services and treatment from the healthcare community. That’s why I decided to go to school to learn and do something about it.

Last edited:

Keen

I came in here to ask: best place to buy n95s online?
I was never a fan of cloth masks. I didn’t want to be washing cloth masks all the time. I still wear surgical masks unless I’m in crowds or in close contact contact with people I know is negative.
I do want to start wearing N95 more, with all the asymptomatic people walking around.

Everything Zen

So my aunt (through extended family only- thank God) who is a nurse, and unvaccinated tested positive for COVID a second time and she sounds like she’s having a rough go at it. She refused a vaccine on the basis of her antibody test which she waved in everyone’s face (including her sister who is a doctor and kept trying to reason with her) like she some type super negro. She was so exhausted that she had a hard time staying awake from a 2 hour drive home.

I give the uneducated, vulnerable populations and those struggling with mental illness a little leeway as they are far more susceptible to misinformation but well- we do have our jokes about her in the family. Never mind. :look:

A whole bunch of folks got excommunicated in 2020 - making that list and checking it twice.

LostInAdream

DD who is 8 years old caught Covid while with her dad the week of Christmas. We both tested before dropping her to him and before I picked her up both negative and within a week of each other. I picked her Xmas Eve and decided not to go visit family as the cases were rising in their area and everyone I know up there tested positive within days of each other. My family agreed to all get PCR tested 3-5 days before and a rapid test the day of getting together. I live 6 hrs away from them.

Naturally, no one adhered and got tested the day before I was to head up. I explained my concerns and eventually decided I wasn’t coming. I was bullied via text and told I was making other peoples situations mine and they were all negative( rapid). I explained how those close to me ie my BF and DDs BFFs family all tested negative rapid but PCRs came back positive. Still I hear how they won’t have the dish I was bringing and they wanted to see us all Christmas Day. Ignored as I could care less I had a feeling not to go.

The day after Christmas DD has a fever of 104.7 F. She tested negative(rapid) on the 24th. Call her dad and he is sick too with a fever. DD says his GFs son was coughing the whole time she was there. I take DD to get tested as soon as possible but testing was full.

The dept health had a testing pop up and she tested positive( rapid) I was negative. Tell him and this fools says it’s just a cold and the boy was sick the entire week before and they won’t get tested. These fools have been out and about around multiple people. Livid isn’t the word. I haven’t spoken to him after telling him how people like them are the reason we are in this mess going on year 3!

Took PCRs 2 days after and we have the same results. She was only sick for a day. She continues to test positive( 5x) and I’m still negative. Kept her home from school even though the school says it’s fine for her to go back. I’m just tired y’all!!!!!

Last edited:

dancinstallion

The sister, of dh's friend that died of covid, showed him the pics of his friend before he went to the hospital. His fingers were blue. :( Apparently he had been fighting covid for a month and didn't tell dh.

That's the thing. People are STILL suffering in silence. Nobody told me they had covid until I told them I tested positive. Why is that? :pullhair: My brother said he had it for 3 weeks a month ago. The symptoms he had were bad, it triggered his asthma and he hadn't had an asthma attack in 12 years! He said he was off balance and could barely walk. Another friend had it the same time I did but didn't tell me her sister had to tell me,
dh' friend told me her whole family had it only after i told her we couldn't get together because I am positive.

I think covid is so common that the stigma should be lifted yet it isn't lifted. We are talking about covid yet we are not talking about covid when people test positive :nono:

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

I hope they used our taxes adequately and did all the proper quality assurance testing and are using top of the line servers so this thing doesn't crash day one.

Black Ambrosia

The sister, of dh's friend that died of covid, showed him the pics of his friend before he went to the hospital. His fingers were blue. :( Apparently he had been fighting covid for a month and didn't tell dh.

That's the thing. People are STILL suffering in silence. Nobody told me they had covid until I told them I tested positive. Why is that? :pullhair: My brother said he had it for 3 weeks a month ago. The symptoms he had were bad, it triggered his asthma and he hadn't had an asthma attack in 12 years! He said he was off balance and could barely walk. Another friend had it the same time I did but didn't tell me her sister had to tell me,
dh' friend told me her whole family had it only after i told her we couldn't get together because I am positive.

I think covid is so common that the stigma should be lifted yet it isn't lifted. We are talking about covid yet we are not talking about covid when people test positive :nono:
I don’t think this is about the stigma at all. I think people are keeping it to themselves because they don’t want to be called out for not quarantining and aren’t interested in your suggestions for improving their health.