The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

TrulyBlessed

My niece just tested positive for Covid today. She’s a college student and decided to get tested when she started experiencing cold like symptoms yesterday. She’s currently in quarantine housing at her university. She is fully vaccinated and boosted and so far the symptoms are mild. DC cases are said to be climbing rapidly.

My niece has fully recovered with no complications thank God!

Everything Zen

^^^Good question- The person I know is a 58 year old nurse in good health with no unknown underlying issues. I plan on getting it whenever I may be required to travel for work.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
How many have gotten the second boost? So far I only know one person.
I ain't even go lie. I just learned yesterday that the second booster is out. I got my first booster in December so I'ma wait until June to get the next one. Call it OCD or professional hypochondriac but I feel like these shots should be spread out a lil bit especially since I know my period go act a :censored: fool after the shot.

starfish

I’m over 50 so I asked my doctor if I should get the second booster. I read that the efficacy wanes after some months. (I don’t remember how many months) He knows how paranoid and extra careful I am so he said no. He told me to wait and see if there’s another surge. I track test positivity rates and cases per 100,000. I forgot to ask him at what point is it considered a surge. My parents both got the second one, they’re in their 70s.

ScorpioBeauty09

I was actually on a plane when this was announced. We had to wear our masks when we boarded the plane and keep them on like always. About an hour into the flight they announced over the loudspeaker that the decision had come down and masks were no longer required on flights. Everyone started cheering and taking their masks off.
I read so many tweets like that. :nono:

On my flight last week, I'd say 60-70% of people wore masks. But they came off when the meal came. Let's see how many people are wearing masks on my return flight this week.

Lylddlebit

I wonder how many folks in this situation would not have flown had they known the mask mandate could be revoked mid flight. Did people see this coming or were they completely caught off guard?

You don't have to answer directly or anything but your example made me wonder.

I was actually on a plane when this was announced. We had to wear our masks when we boarded the plane and keep them on like always. About an hour into the flight they announced over the loudspeaker that the decision had come down and masks were no longer required on flights. Everyone started cheering and taking their masks off.

Evolving78

I wonder how many folks in this situation would not have flown had they known the mask mandate could be revoked mid flight. Did people see this coming or were they completely caught off guard?

What made you wonder regarding the statement that was posted?

Lylddlebit

What made you wonder regarding the statement that was posted?
My mother completed a round trip flight during COVID for an urgent need. She wasn't feeling it at all but knowing the mandate was in place was a factor for her handling that piece of business at the time that she did. Seeing the mask mandate get pulled mid fight irritates me like 'bait and switch' but it is possible that people who were flying that day prepared themsleves for it and aren't as bothered as I would have been. That post wasn't a general idea, everyday people experienced it.

Crackers Phinn

I don't know if I would have been more horrified or pissed. Not that I'm flying but if I had too I'd be on board with a n-95 + goggles but for a flight longer than 4 hours that would be miserable.

Black Ambrosia

Most Americans have been infected with the coronavirus at least once, the C.D.C. says.

April 26, 2022
Updated 2:29 p.m. ET

The common perception that nearly everyone in America seemed to have been infected with the Omicron variant last winter may not have been far from the truth. By February 2022, nearly 60 percent of the population had been exposed to the coronavirus, almost double the proportion seen in December 2021, according to data released on Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“By February 2022, evidence of previous Covid-19 infections substantially increased among every age group,” Dr. Kristie Clarke, the agency researcher who led the study, said at a news briefing.

Infections rose most sharply during the Omicron surge among children and adolescents, perhaps because many people in those age groups were still unvaccinated. The increase was smallest among adults 65 or older, who have the highest rate of vaccination and may be the most likely to take precautions.

The new research suggests that three out of four children and adolescents in the United States had been exposed to the coronavirus by February 2022, compared with one-third of older adults.

While some studies suggest that prior infection offers a weaker shield against the virus than vaccines do, exposure to the virus should provide a reasonable degree of protection against severe illness, at least in the short term.

“We still do not know how long infection-induced immunity will last,” Dr. Clarke said.

The gains in population-wide immunity may explain why the new surge that is roaring through China and many countries in Europe has been muted in the United States so far.

The findings may offer some comfort to parents who have been waiting anxiously for a vaccine to be approved for the youngest children. Many of those children now seem to have acquired at least some immunity.

Even so, Dr. Clarke urged parents to immunize children who qualify as soon as regulators approve a vaccine for them, regardless of any prior exposure. She noted that when children are hospitalized with the coronavirus, up to 30 percent of them may need intensive care.

Many of those children also have other medical conditions. But as many as 70 percent of cases of multisystem inflammatory disease, a rare consequence of Covid-19 infection, occur in children who were otherwise healthy.

“As a pediatrician and a parent, I would absolutely endorse that children get vaccinated, even if they have been infected,” Dr. Clarke said.

Coronavirus cases are rising again in the United States, particularly in the Northeast, but so far the rise in hospitalizations has been minimal, and deaths are still dropping.

Even among those who are hospitalized, “we’re seeing less oxygen use, less I.C.U. stays, and we haven’t, fortunately, seen any increase in deaths associated with them,” said the C.D.C.’s director, Dr. Rochelle Walensky. “We are hopeful that positive trends will continue.”

C.D.C. researchers began assessing antibody levels in people at 10 sites early in the pandemic, and have since expanded that effort to all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. The investigators use a test sensitive enough to identify previously infected people for at least a year or two after exposure.

The researchers analyzed blood samples collected from September 2021 to February 2022, looking for antibodies to the virus; then they parsed the data by age, sex and geographic location. The investigators looked specifically for a type of antibody that is produced after infection, but not in people who have merely been vaccinated.

Between September 2021 and December 2021, the prevalence of antibodies in the samples steadily increased by one to two percentage points every four weeks. But it jumped sharply after December, increasing by nearly 25 points by February 2022.

The percentage of samples with antibodies rose to about 75 percent from about 45 percent among both children aged 11 years and younger, and adolescents aged 12 to 17.

By February 2022, roughly 64 percent of adults 18 to 49, about half those 50 to 64, and about one-third of older adults had been exposed to the virus, according to the study.

Evolving78

My mother completed a round trip flight during COVID for an urgent need. She wasn't feeling it at all but knowing the mandate was in place was a factor for her handling that piece of business at the time that she did. Seeing the mask mandate get pulled mid fight irritates me like 'bait and switch' but it is possible that people who were flying that day prepared themsleves for it and aren't as bothered as I would have been. That post wasn't a general idea, everyday people experienced it.
I understand. Same thing happened to my relative. They were caught off guard and felt anxious the rest of the flight.

SoniT

Here's Dr. Fauci's comments about the U.S. transitioning out of the pandemic phase.

Full article:

(CNN)The United States is "certainly, right now, in this country, out of the pandemic phase," Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Joe Biden's chief medical adviser and the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said on PBS's "NewsHour" on Tuesday.

"Namely, we don't have 900,000 new infections a day and tens and tens and tens of thousands of hospitalizations and thousands of deaths. We are at a low level right now. So if you're saying, are we out of the pandemic phase in this country? We are," he said.

On Wednesday, Fauci told CNN that his comments had been mischaracterized by some to mean that the pandemic is over, "which is not what I said."

"We're not over the pandemic. Don't let anybody get the misinterpretation that the pandemic is over, but what we are in is a different phase of the pandemic," he said. "A phase that's a transition phase, hopefully headed toward more of a control where you can actually get back to some form of normality without total disruption of society, economically, socially, school-wise, etc."

Fauci noted that, in fact, Covid-19 cases are trending up again, though it's not anywhere near the rise we saw over the winter with the Omicron wave.

"So what we need to do is continue to be vigilant, to follow the CDC guidelines, to do the kinds of things that protect you: Get vaccinated, if you're not vaccinated; get boosted if you're eligible for a boost. If you do get infected, be aware that there is availability of antivirals."

Fauci's comments on PBS drew attention on the same day the Biden administration announced that he would not be attending the annual White House Correspondents Dinner after considering his individual risk.

"Each of us, in our own personal way, has to make an assessment of what risk you're willing to accept about getting infected," Fauci told CNN. "In general, the risk is low, but I made a personal assessment. I'm 81 years old, and if I get infected, I have a much higher risk."

Lylddlebit

Fauci said the Pandemic is over in the US. For those who care to embrace facts.
I will be the first to tell you I love what you add to this thread, but anytime trusting the science is hinged on something/someone as inconsistent as Fauci and the CDC has been during covid, Imma go ahead and rely on life skills that helped me survive being raised in the hood and let "the science" align with reliability before I trust it...point blank, period. Now I do believe the impact of covid is changing for sure...but sleeping on it is how you get stole.

Crackers Phinn

"The United States is "certainly, right now, in this country, out of the pandemic phase," Dr. Anthony Fauci"

Unfortunately when scientists use scientific terms that non scientists will interpret without looking up, chaos ensues. A pandemic phase is when there is widespread human infection, which is why Fauci further clarified there aren't 900K infections per day.

From the charts below it's pretty clear that when a pandemic phase ends, that is not the end of a pandemic. I don't expect the average person to look this up but it's troubling that people who pretend to be reporters on the subject couldn't be bothered to take the 10 seconds it took me to find clear definitions and educate the public rather than push conspiracy theories.

1651266228598.png
panfluplanphases.pdf (mo.gov)

1651266850680.png
The Continuum of Pandemic Phases - 508 | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

naturalgyrl5199

"The United States is "certainly, right now, in this country, out of the pandemic phase," Dr. Anthony Fauci"

Unfortunately when scientists use scientific terms that non scientists will interpret without looking up, chaos ensues. A pandemic phase is when there is widespread human infection, which is why Fauci further clarified there aren't 900K infections per day.

From the charts below it's pretty clear that when a pandemic phase ends, that is not the end of a pandemic. I don't expect the average person to look this up but it's troubling that people who pretend to be reporters on the subject couldn't be bothered to take the 10 seconds it took me to find clear definitions and educate the public rather than push conspiracy theories.

View attachment 480339
panfluplanphases.pdf (mo.gov)

View attachment 480341
The Continuum of Pandemic Phases - 508 | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC
And its a shame he had to "walk it back" because the general public takes sound bites and RUNS with it.