The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

ScorpioBeauty09

DH found out a friend of his mom's died of COVID-19 this week after catching it at a funeral where she was the only person wearing a mask. She and her family weren't vaccinated because it was against their religion and they distrust the medical system.

And one of DH's co-workers left work early yesterday because she wasn't feeling well and tests positive for COVID-19. Thank goodness DH always wears a mask and wasn't around her long.

BrownBetty

I went to help out an older family member last week. I get there and they are coughing. I asked if they took a covid test. They respond no, they were fine. I stayed outside then put on my n95 for the 3 minutes I was in their house.

They tested positive the next day. They are the 4th person I know with covid in the last week.

Yall be safe out there.

Black Ambrosia

My coworkers stay getting Covid. One that I work closely with is on round 2. I’m so glad I’m working remote.

I had to go into the office today because a storm knocked out our power 2 days ago. Ordinarily this would be a problem for me but I only saw 3 people the whole time I was there and I don’t work with any of them.

ScorpioBeauty09

My coworkers stay getting Covid. One that I work closely with is on round 2. I’m so glad I’m working remote.

I had to go into the office today because a storm knocked out our power 2 days ago. Ordinarily this would be a problem for me but I only saw 3 people the whole time I was there and I don’t work with any of them.
Me too. I'm so glad I work from home. I forever side eye DH's work because they can do their job from home yet they have to come in 3-4 days a week and many of his co-workers have tested positive.

Everything Zen

DH is exposed once again to COVID bc his boss is out with it so we’re all on high alert. I need to deliver a critical glaucoma drop to my dad this weekend but I was hoping to spend time with my parents for at least a day- now everything is up in the air. I said I don’t care if my trip overseas for work and a much needed vacation tacked on the back end is canceled due to COVID. I’ve sacrificed my mental health staying cooped up to keep my parents safe… So here we are again. I plan to get the new vaccine as soon as I can- keep going on as best I know how and hope for the best. :sad:

BrownBetty

I just found out a close family member has had covid 3x. I was in utter shock. They said they don't wear masks anymore because they caught covid the last time while masking, I asked about the type of mask they wore... "it wasn't a n95". I just said oh.

I didn't bother to discuss long covid concerns. It is weird how people have just decided to roll the dice.

Lylddlebit

I just found out a close family member has had covid 3x. I was in utter shock. They said they don't wear masks anymore because they caught covid the last time while masking, I asked about the type of mask they wore... "it wasn't a n95". I just said oh.

I didn't bother to discuss long covid concerns. It is weird how people have just decided to roll the dice.
What I have interest in is if multiple infections increase incidence of adverse effects. Catching some viruses once will give you the same outcome as exposure to the same strain multiple times times but if a person catches a more virulent strain they could have had he disease for years and the new strain could feel like brand new disease/condition. Covid studies quote reinfection with similar effects, worse effects or milder effects but there is still a lot unknown. What many are calling reinfections today may very well be identified as the virus going dormant in the body then reactivating like recurring outbreaks for some people in a few years. When someone has to change their HIV cocktail it is very rarely the result of getting reinfected with HIV. We shall see and time will tell it. When it comes to this thing I wouldn't be sure sure if it never left or if it is actually reinfections. I certainly don't believe that rebound Paxlovid explanation AT ALL. I think they got infected, the medicine tapered their symptoms it a bit and when the treatment was over their body handled the original infection like bodies do infections.

Last edited:

dancinstallion

What I have interest in is if multiple infections increase incidence of adverse effects. Catching some viruses once will give you the same outcome as exposure to the same strain multiple times times but if a person catches a more virulent strain they could have had he disease for years and the new strain could feel like brand new disease/condition. Covid studies quote reinfection with similar effects, worse effects or milder effects but there is still a lot unknown. What many are calling reinfections today may very well be identified as the virus going dormant in the body then reactivating like recurring outbreaks for some people in a few years. When someone has to change their HIV cocktail it is very rarely the result of getting reinfected with HIV. We shall see and time will tell it. When it comes to this thing I wouldn't be sure sure if i it never left or if it is actually reinfections. I certainly don't believe that rebound Paxlovid explanation AT ALL. I think they got infected, the medicine tapered their symptoms it a bit and when the treatment was over their body handled the original infection.

What was the Paxlovid explanation?

A lady's 14 year old child is taking Paxlovid. She knew nothing about possible rebound until I told her about it. The rebound symptoms are normally worse.

Lylddlebit

What was the Paxlovid explanation?

A lady's 14 year old child is taking Paxlovid. She knew nothing about possible rebound until I told her about it. The rebound symptoms are normally worse.
Just the narrative that someone caught Covid then got healed by Paxlovid followed by being REINFECTED a few weeks later. It makes more sense that the original infection(the majority of the time this narrative is quoted) ran it's full course over those few weeks than back to back new infections or reinfection occurred.

Everything Zen

I just got my Moderna bivalent booster today. I’m looking forward to slightly reintegrating into life with a new normal with masks, avoiding crowds, etc. bc I believe I have some level of agoraphobia and mental health determination from this and need to ease back in on top of severe burnout and this wi take a couple of years to resolve.

yamilee21

… I certainly don't believe that rebound Paxlovid explanation AT ALL. I think they got infected, the medicine tapered their symptoms it a bit and when the treatment was over their body handled the original infection like bodies do infections.
:confused: But that’s exactly what the rebound explanation is, Paxlovid suppressed the symptoms temporarily, and when the medication was finished, the symptoms came back. “Rebound” Covid was never thought to be a new Covid infection, just the same one. It most likely has happened when Paxlovid was given too early - after a positive PCR test, but *before* symptoms began. Paxlovid given *after* a positive antigen test/when someone already has obvious symptoms, doesn’t seem to cause the rebound effect, because the body had already begun fighting the illness.

That rebound effect is different from reinfection; but the 4-6 week later reinfections are also happening, regardless of Paxlovid/Evusheld. Those are most obvious when there is testing for specific variants. For example, in New York City, the overwhelming majority of cases in mid-May were the Omicron BA2.12.1 sub-variant . By the beginning of July, the overwhelming majority of cases were the Omicron BA5 sub-variant. A person who had Covid in NYC in mid-May, recovered completely, and then got sick again six weeks later, almost certainly had two different variants, and not a rebound of the previous variant. On the other hand, a person who never fully recovered, could indeed be dealing with the previous infection.

Lylddlebit

Fair enough. I could have been clearer my post. Ultimately I do believe there is lingering damage from the initial infection for some, some infections that last lengthy amounts of time without actually clearing(yet being judged as cleared based on symptoms not necessarily blood work), and actual reinfection of different strains occur which each scenario possessing different dynamics. "Almost certainly" isn't really a phase I would use with this virus though. Between different strains, mutations and the dynamic between virus and individual body chemistry it is still being revealed. Not knocking you, just not trusting the narratives either.

Seattle Slew

WinterinAtl
@Seattle Slew
Please take care of yourself as best as you can. I know this sounds crazy, but stay on top of showering and drink hot drinks.
Thank you - I gave been drinking lots of tea. My fever keeps coming back which worries me. But I heard some people fight the fever for a week. I think the steam from shower will be nice, but I’m dizzy when the fever is up.

Evolving78

Thank you - I gave been drinking lots of tea. My fever keeps coming back which worries me. But I heard some people fight the fever for a week. I think the steam from shower will be nice, but I’m dizzy when the fever is up.
You have some Ibuprofen/Motrin? Can you order or can someone get you some Theraflu? The liquid in the bottle helped me. The nighttime packets helped as well. I hope you feel better soon. Do everything you can to keep that fever down, but I know you know the drill. I’m just being mommy right now! Lol

Last edited:

Everything Zen

^^^ Pharmacologist popping in. The active ingredients in Motrin and Theraflu are not the same. When you have a fever you want acetaminophen aka Tylenol. This is the active ingredient in Theraflu. It is a pain and fever reducer not just an anti inflammatory pain reliever like Motrin/Ibuprofen/Aleve. Also I’m pretty sure you’re not drinking but avoid alcohol when taking acetaminophen. Feel better soon!

Evolving78

^^^ Pharmacologist popping in. The active ingredients in Motrin and Theraflu are not the same. When you have a fever you want acetaminophen aka Tylenol. This is the active ingredient in Theraflu. It is a pain and fever reducer not just an anti inflammatory pain reliever like Motrin/Ibuprofen/Aleve. Also I’m pretty sure you’re not drinking but avoid alcohol when taking acetaminophen. Feel better soon!
From my personal experience Motrin brings the fever down right away. Acetaminophen doesn’t seem to work as effectively, but pediatricians tell parents to use it after the 3 hour mark of Motrin that was administered for fever reduction. I know you can only give infants Tylenol 3 months of age and older. I need to clarify, since I don’t not recommend taking a NSAID and a cold medicine with acetaminophen in at the same time. I was just offering suggestions.
You of course are the expert, so just giving a mom perspective.
I know if one has stomach issues, high blood pressure, or on blood thinners, they should avoid NSAIDs right?

Everything Zen

I’m no expert just trying to clarify the difference since you mentioned Morton which is ibuprofen and Theraflu the active ingredient is acetaminophen. I should have clarified yes Motrin can be used as a fever reducer and each has its benefits depending on your health concerns like you mentioned high blood pressure, stomach concerns, etc.