The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

MamaBear2012

A family friend got Covid toward the beginning of the pandemic...before the vaccines. She was somewhat overweight, hypertension, asthma, but is early 40s and was always on the go. When she got Covid, it knocked her down!! She couldn't breathe. She sent her daughter to stay with her dad. She had either right or left side paralysis after having a stroke. I can't remember. She was unable to walk. She lost her vision for a while. She had all kinds of things going on. But she survived and worked toward learning to walk again and basically all of her activities of daily living.

I hadn't heard from her in a while and sent her a text maybe a month ago. She said that she had another stroke and was again working on trying to get back to her baseline. She is definitely classified as a long hauler, and I worry for those who may still become long haulers.

vevster

A nurse told me there is a bad covid outbreak in Mississippi. She said people are dying again. I can't find any news reporting it to confirm but that doesn't mean anything because the Jackson Mississippi water crisis wasn't reported on for a while either.
Yeah definitely the news is curated.

vevster

A nurse told me there is a bad covid outbreak in Mississippi. She said people are dying again. I can't find any news reporting it to confirm but that doesn't mean anything because the Jackson Mississippi water crisis wasn't reported on for a while either.
It’s not the pathogen it’s the HOSTS. I bet that Mississippi population is rife with metabolic disease and insulin resistance.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
It’s not the pathogen it’s the HOSTS. I bet that Mississippi population is rife with metabolic disease and insulin resistance.
Mississippi leads the way with obesity. :nono:

These 10 States Have the Highest Rates of Obesity​

Nine of the 10 states with the highest rates of obesity are in the South.

Obesity is not a new problem in the U.S., where more than 70% of adults are obese or overweight, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But the coronavirus pandemic presents new challenges in combating the obesity epidemic, as physical inactivity, one of biggest risk factors of obesity, is on the rise in some cases.
People who struggle with obesity – having a body mass index of 30 or higher – are at greater risk for heart disease and stroke, two of the leading causes of death in the United States, according to the CDC. But some states are worse off when it comes to obesity than others, according to a new report by personal finance site WalletHub, which identifies rates of obesity in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

According to the report, nine of the 10 states with the highest rates of obesity are in the South.

Mississippi, which has the highest rates of obesity in both children and adults, also has the highest percent of physically inactive adults in 2020. The Magnolia State is also home to the highest percent of adults with high blood pressure, and the second-highest percent of adults with type 2 diabetes, according to the report.
On the other end of the spectrum, Colorado has the lowest rate of physical inactivity in adults, the lowest rate of obese adults and the second-lowest rate of obesity in children, behind Hawaii. The Centennial State boasts the lowest rate of adults with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure, as well.
The report used data from a variety of sources, including the U.S. Census Bureau, Gallup and the CDC, among others, to compare states and the District of Columbia across three dimensions: obesity and overweight prevalence, health consequences, and food and fitness, evaluated along 31 metrics.

Here are the states with the highest rates of obesity:
  1. Mississippi
  2. West Virginia
  3. Arkansas
  4. Tennessee
  5. Kentucky
  6. South Carolina
  7. Louisiana
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Alabama
  10. Michigan

Seattle Slew

WinterinAtl
So, I tested positive a week ago. It took four days for the fever to go away on its own. I had nausea intermitently. Lots of fatigue and mucous, but luckily haven’t gotten into trouble with it getting into my chest. I went back to work for one day - it was okay but I probably should have stayed home that last day. I still feel like I have a stubborn head cold. Or sinus infection. I e been using my saline rinse every day and drinking hot teas.
To me, the fever felt the worst. I couldn’t function. The highest was 102.8.

Evolving78

All day, every day. The mask mandate here drops on Saturday (Oct 01), just in time for mid-term, Thanksgiving and Christmas. :(
I'm stocking up on masks.
I’m not sure if there are mask mandates around here except for most schools in predominantly black communities and healthcare facilities. I haven’t stopped wearing a mask since 2020. I haven’t seen anyone’s character change since the mask mandates have dropped. Things have only gotten worse or magnified.

yamilee21

Last night, I went to a local Target with my youngest kid. We passed dozens of people in the store; only 2 employees and 6 customers besides us were wearing masks. Everyone wearing a mask happened to be black.

Meanwhile, even though we are only on Day 14 of the 2022-2023 academic year in NYC public schools, between my two schooled kids, I have already received about two dozen Covid exposure notifications - even though they are not testing in schools anymore, and don’t even track the tests that the schools distribute themselves! My kids are among the very few still wearing masks at school; both of them told me they noticed increasing numbers of absent students by the end of last week. My oldest told me a teacher asked him why he was wearing an N95 every day. He looked at her, sighed, and began reciting a litany of reasons, until the teacher said, “Okay, okay, I get it,” and walked away. :nono:

starfish

I just ordered more kn95 masks because we’re running out. Out of 10 people I know who caught Covid, 6 of them are suffering from long Covid. Six very healthy vaccinated people. We are not playing around and I’m thankful my husband is just as paranoid as I am. I will continue to mask and stay away from large crowds in unventilated spaces.

BrownBetty

@starfish
I was talking to my girl the other day. She was running through the list of foods she can't eat. Her hair came out in handfuls. I was horrified.
She caught covid end of 2020 from a family member and is still suffering.
Long covid is my concern. There is no logic on who catches covid, gets over it and who has to contend with long covid.

Lemme order more masks.

MamaBear2012

My son's former teacher had Covid basically back to back (or within 90 days I should say). I do feel so bad for teachers. It's a job where you are constantly with other adults and hundreds of kids. Even masked and vaccinated, you're with tons of people all the time.

Anyway, she had Covid in May and missed her child's high school graduation, so she missed the end of last school year. Then she tested positive for Covid at the beginning of August, so she missed the beginning of this school year. And the sad thing is this is the third time that she's had Covid. She said that her sense of smell is off since the second time she got it. And now she randomly smells cigarette smoke or something burning. She said she could explain it away during the summer, but when she got back into the classroom and started smelling it she knows these elementary kids aren't lighting up in her classroom. I hope over time some of these long hauler symptoms that people are experiencing start to disappear.

dancinstallion

About a week ago the grocery stores in our area also took down the barriers between the cashiers and customers.

I guess everyone is saying covid is over.

I just ordered more kn95 masks in different colors cuz Ds likes to match them with his shirts.

It doesn't look like a new strain is active and b.5 is going down so I wonder if we will have another wave.

The grocery stores put the covid barriers back up a few days ago.
It looks like we are about to see a spike.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
We had a huge outbreak - 10 employees went to the same event. I keep telling them they can be tired of Covid but Covid ain't tired of them. Oh well, they lucked out that the Governor extended Covid sick pay cuz that poo originally expired just in time for them to catch the Covids. I got a text yesterday somebody came back from their vacation testing positive.

Oh yeah, they all think they got it at the same place but check this out, the unvaxxed ones got them Season 1 Covid symptoms - no smell and taste, crazy head and body aches, fever, confusion. Everybody else got sniffles and a sore throat. I'm sure that's all coincidence.

dancinstallion

France's 8th Wave of COVID Is Gaining in Intensity:

France has entered an eighth wave of the COVID-19 virus, as the winter season approaches, said a leading French health officialYes, we are in this eighth wave," said Brigitte Autran, who is a member of the government's vaccination strategic board.

"All the indicators are on the up," added Autran.
France's COVID figures published on Monday showed that the seven day moving average of daily new cases had reached, with the latest reported figure of 45,631, its highest level since August 2.

France's COVID overall hospitalisation figures, at 15,166, and the numbers of COVID patients in hospital intensive care units (ICU) - at 843 - were also at their highest level since the end of August.

@Chicoro are you seeing or hearing about an increase in cases?