The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

dancinstallion

There is a very large demand for pediatric nurses in all areas such as pediatric intensive care unit and neonatal intensive care units right now. I have never seen such a high demand for nurses in those specialties. :(
It is not looking good. They are paying a lot of money to get nurses in various states so it must be really bad. There was never a demand for pediatric nurses before now. Most if not all pediatric nurses don't travel (cuz there wasn't a need) so there is a shortage of pediatric nurses because young kids and babies weren't dying and filling the hospitals like this. :nono:

Evolving78

There is a very large demand for pediatric nurses in all areas such as pediatric intensive care unit and neonatal intensive care units right now. I have never seen such a high demand for nurses in those specialties. :(
It is not looking good. They are paying a lot of money to get nurses in various states so it must be really bad. There was never a demand for pediatric nurses before now. Most if not all pediatric nurses don't travel (cuz there wasn't a need) so there is a shortage of pediatric nurses because young kids and babies weren't dying and filling the hospitals like this. :nono:
I have read that there is a shortage of pediatric units, since it’s doesn’t not generate adequate revenue from services rendered. So of course there would be a shortage of pediatric nurses.

ScorpioBeauty09

I get the gist of the above but I'm fuzzy on the BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 issue. It sounds like BQ.1.1 is dangerous but labeled in such a way that it appears to be a variant of the less dangerous BQ.1. Or is it saying that BQ.1 is more dangerous than it appears but the data is being watered down by reporting it as BQ.1.1? Data on rising hospitalizations supports that one of the variants is more dangerous but I'm still unclear which one is responsible. Or is the takeaway that Omicron in all it's forms is dangerous and makes up roughly 100% of all infections? I honestly can't keep up anymore.

Am I the only one confused? Again, I get that the CDC is sitting on data but what does the data say now that we have it?
The bolded. The CDC's own data tracks BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 but when the CDC talked about the data they combined them together under the BA.5 Omicron label and said new sub-variants only made up <1% of new cases when they emerged during the summer. Now they're separating the data and saying BQ.1 and BQ1.1 make up nearly 12% of new cases when they had the chance to sound the alarm back in July. Epidemiologists say it is unusual for sub-variants to go from <1% of new cases to nearly 12% out of the blue unless the CDC downplayed the seriousness of BQ.1 and BQ1.1 when they could've let the public know during the summer while people took off their masks and Biden said the pandemic is over. The reason they're coming forth now is that they can't ignore sub-variants that make up 12% of new cases, COVID19 hospitalizations are going up in Europe which means we are not far behind and we have a bad flu season coming up. The danger with these Omicron sub-variants is if they evade vaccines.

Last edited:

dancinstallion

FfsyL1CXwAAl7SA.jpeg.jpg

dancinstallion

A Virginia high school will stay open while hundreds of students call out sick with flu-like symptoms

500+ still sick with flu-like symptoms at Virginia high

Last week, about 1,000 students at the high school missed classes because they were sick with flu-like symptoms and all activities were canceled for the weekend. The school reopened on Monday.

(CNN)Hundreds of students missed class Monday at a northern Virginia high school where "a number of students have tested positive for influenza A" and others have symptoms consistent with the flu.
The number of students who stayed home from Stafford High School in Fredericksburg dropped from about 1,000 Friday to 670 on Monday, officials said.

Evolving78

A Virginia high school will stay open while hundreds of students call out sick with flu-like symptoms

500+ still sick with flu-like symptoms at Virginia high

Last week, about 1,000 students at the high school missed classes because they were sick with flu-like symptoms and all activities were canceled for the weekend. The school reopened on Monday.

(CNN)Hundreds of students missed class Monday at a northern Virginia high school where "a number of students have tested positive for influenza A" and others have symptoms consistent with the flu.
The number of students who stayed home from Stafford High School in Fredericksburg dropped from about 1,000 Friday to 670 on Monday, officials said.
This is awful! My child’s school just made masks optional!

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
My boss was out sick last week for a few days - turns out he had Covid and Flu at the same time. He's recovering now but his heart rate has really dropped a lot. He actually got an alert from his Apple Watch that his heart rate was too low - it measured around 36 BPM this morning. He said he does have a low resting heart rate in general (he bikes and is very active but he does have thyroid issues.)

He's waiting for a callback from his doctor now to see what they want to do. :(

dancinstallion

My boss was out sick last week for a few days - turns out he had Covid and Flu at the same time. He's recovering now but his heart rate has really dropped a lot. He actually got an alert from his Apple Watch that his heart rate was too low - it measured around 36 BPM this morning. He said he does have a low resting heart rate in general (he bikes and is very active but he does have thyroid issues.)

He's waiting for a callback from his doctor now to see what they want to do. :(

I had a patient whose Heart rate was chilling in the 30's all night. That was the first time we had ever seen that and the patient was still talking and ambulatory. I told the patient's daughter that this is uncharted territory so every minute is a blessing. His heart rate even went down to 27 then back to low 30s when the doctor did his round. :eek:
The only problem with your friend is that no one is monitoring him, for when his body stops compensating for that low pulse. He needs to go to the emergency room Stat. He could have a heart blockage.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I had a patient whose Heart rate was chilling in the 30's all night. That was the first time we had ever seen that and the patient was still talking and ambulatory. I told the patient's daughter that this is uncharted territory so every minute is a blessing. His heart rate even went down to 27 then back to low 30s when the doctor did his round. :eek:
The only problem with your friend is that no one is monitoring him, for when his body stops compensating for that low pulse. He needs to go to the emergency room Stat. He could have a heart blockage.
I think so too. I'm concerned cause he's still working right now because I see his status as in a meeting via MS Teams. I haven't spoken with him since this AM so maybe it went back to normal?

ScorpioBeauty09

The bolded. The CDC's own data tracks BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 but when the CDC talked about the data they combined them together under the BA.5 Omicron label and said new sub-variants only made up <1% of new cases when they emerged during the summer. Now they're separating the data and saying BQ.1 and BQ1.1 make up nearly 12% of new cases when they had the chance to sound the alarm back in July. Epidemiologists say it is unusual for sub-variants to go from <1% of new cases to nearly 12% out of the blue unless the CDC downplayed the seriousness of BQ.1 and BQ1.1 when they could've let the public know during the summer while people took off their masks and Biden said the pandemic is over. The reason they're coming forth now is that they can't ignore sub-variants that make up 12% of new cases, COVID19 hospitalizations are going up in Europe which means we are not far behind and we have a bad flu season coming up. The danger with these Omicron sub-variants is if they evade vaccines.
I need to correct this.

Another doctor I follow posted the same data and was angry for the same reason. Current models predict a surge of BQ1 and BQ11 in mid-late November just in time for Thanksgiving. He clarified that the BQ1 and BQ11 variants appear to be neutralized by the Omicron vaccine according to neutralization studies. The evasiveness of these variants is that they are resistant to monoclonal antibody drugs that treat COVID-19.

dancinstallion

221031-Rochelle-Walensky-covid-se-154p-8ad08c.jpg

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky tests positive for Covid again after taking a course of the antiviral pill Paxlovid

Walensky, 53, first tested positive on Oct. 21. She took a course of the antiviral pill Paxlovid, and later tested negative. But the symptoms returned and Walensky is again in isolation, working and holding virtual meetings, the CDC said.

Paxlovid has proven effective at preventing serious disease and death among those at highest risk, including older people and those who are immune compromised. But the pill appears to provide little or no benefit for younger adults. Some who take the drug have experienced a return of symptoms after completing Paxlovid’s five-day regimen of pills.

vevster

View attachment 484225

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky tests positive for Covid again after taking a course of the antiviral pill Paxlovid

Walensky, 53, first tested positive on Oct. 21. She took a course of the antiviral pill Paxlovid, and later tested negative. But the symptoms returned and Walensky is again in isolation, working and holding virtual meetings, the CDC said.

Paxlovid has proven effective at preventing serious disease and death among those at highest risk, including older people and those who are immune compromised. But the pill appears to provide little or no benefit for younger adults. Some who take the drug have experienced a return of symptoms after completing Paxlovid’s five-day regimen of pills.
The same thing happened to Biden and Fauci. It’s a common side effect of that drug.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Ugh it is happening again. :nono: As a cruiser no me gusta.....

Majestic Princess: cruise ship passengers disembark in Sydney after mass Covid outbreak​

Covid-positive passengers told to stay away from public transport after biggest single outbreak since Ruby Princess
The Majestic Princess

The Majestic Princess Covid outbreak comes after a surge in case numbers across Australia over the past week. Photograph: Xinhua/REX/Shutterstock

Ben Doherty and Martin Farrer
Fri 11 Nov 2022 19.35 EST

The Majestic Princess cruise ship – carrying about 800 Covid-19 positive passengers – has docked in Sydney and passengers have disembarked in the city.
The ship docked at Circular Quay early Saturday morning, having sailed from New Zealand. It will depart Sydney for Melbourne on Saturday afternoon.

The docking of the ship has raised the spectre of the arrival in Sydney of the Ruby Princess in March 2020 – early in Australia’s pandemic – which was ultimately linked to 28 deaths and more than 600 infections, sparking a NSW government special commission of inquiry and a class action case against the operator.
About 4,600 passengers and crew were aboard the Majestic Princess when it docked in Sydney early on Saturday.

People are seen wearing masks on Peoples Day during the Royal Queensland Show at Brisbane Showgrounds
Covid-19 case numbers exploding across Australia as fourth wave takes off
Read more

Advertisement

Operator Princess Cruises said virus patients had been isolating and every passenger had been given a rapid antigen test in the 24 hours before arrival.
Guests who tested positive and chose to stay on the ship were required to isolate for at least five days.
While people with Covid are currently not required to isolate in Australian jurisdictions, it is recommended they stay home while unwell.
Marguerite Fitzgerald, who is president of the Majestic Princess’s parent company, Carnival Australia, said all cases were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic and they had been warned to stay away from public transport.
“Much of this has been in planning for months,” she said. “We always knew that there was a risk that at some point we were going to see a surge in community transmission and that we would then see that on ship.”
Fitzgerald rejected comparisons between the current circumstances and the arrival of the Ruby Princess.
“That is nearly three years ago and, since then, we as a community have learned a lot, a lot more about Covid,” she said.
“We’ve learned what works to help mitigate transmission, we’ve learnt how to keep our vulnerable people safe and it is no different in the cruise industry.”
One passenger disembarking told the ABC the ship’s crew had handled the outbreak onboard carefully.
Advertisement

“It was scary because we heard about it, but of course we tested negative, and the Majestic Princess were really good with the protocols. [We] wore masks for these last seven days and we were very careful when we went ashore.”
The home affairs minister, Clare O’Neil, said NSW Health was the “lead agency for managing how they are going to assist the passengers and deal with disembarkation on a case-by-case basis”.
“I would say that there regular protocols and plays that have arisen out of the Ruby Princess,” O’Neil said.
NSW Health assessed the Covid risk level for the Majestic Princess as “Tier 3” which indicated a high level of transmission. Such “high impact” vessels have “a lot of cases on board (100 or more positive cases per 1,000 people) and/or the vessel is unable to maintain critical services due to staffing or resource shortages”.
The outbreak comes after a surge in case numbers across Australia over the past week – an anticipated “fourth wave” – prompting Queensland to ask residents to mask up in health facilities, indoors and on public transport.

Evolving78

The ER a couple of days ago was packed!! Do not believe we are out of the woods!! There was nowhere to sit, understaffed, not enough beds/examining rooms, a bunch of sick kids, a bunch of elderly people that had fallen accidents, adults in there coughing or injured, etc..
I said all of this two years ago when I had my accident! Like almost to the date!

Stop playing in these streets and wear your mask!!! Screw needing somebody needing to see your lipstick and your lipgloss! All of the elderberry and vitamin C in the world won’t stop this mess, if we can’t at least mitigate the situation by wearing a mask!
Be careful next week during the holiday and shopping season!

Lylddlebit

The ER a couple of days ago was packed!! Do not believe we are out of the woods!! There was nowhere to sit, understaffed, not enough beds/examining rooms, a bunch of sick kids, a bunch of elderly people that had fallen accidents, adults in there coughing or injured, etc..
I said all of this two years ago when I had my accident! Like almost to the date!

Stop playing in these streets and wear your mask!!! Screw needing somebody needing to see your lipstick and your lipgloss! All of the elderberry and vitamin C in the world won’t stop this mess, if we can’t at least mitigate the situation by wearing a mask!
Be careful next week during the holiday and shopping season!
I believe it. I, personally, know 10 people(I am not exaggerating) who went to the hospital or urgent care last week for legitimate and serious health problems. Ranged from NICU aged to the elderly. Most were 20's and 30's. One person, near and dear to me, died. The even scarier thing is it wasn't an active Covid infection. A LOT of cardiovascular, and neurological issues are popping up on folks. Everyone has to monitor their health based on what their baseline was pre-covid and pre-covid vaccine was for good measure. Things have changed for the worst and covid is not the only serious concern anymore. It's just a factor while monitoring overall well being now.

Last edited:

BrownBetty

How are you navigating the holidays with gatherings and such?

I would feel a bit better of people had bare minimum protocols in place e.g. rapid testing before gathering. People I know who have severe health risk are just like *** it, having parties with no question. No discussion of ventilation, mask wearing, staying home if you are sick nothing.

It isn't just covid, plenty of people are catching the flu.

I'm so tired of dealing with all of this.