The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Lylddlebit

@BrownBetty

I still don't attend group gatherings indoors. I mail gifts. Funerals are graveside only. I shop online. In person visits for folks outside of our household are still in small groups and embed social distance. I don't expect people to be as stringent as I have been. My way is tailored to being able to stay vaccine free while not contracting anything, work from home on a non-hourly schedule and being able to homeschool my child.

Evolving78

How are you navigating the holidays with gatherings and such?

I would feel a bit better of people had bare minimum protocols in place e.g. rapid testing before gathering. People I know who have severe health risk are just like *** it, having parties with no question. No discussion of ventilation, mask wearing, staying home if you are sick nothing.

It isn't just covid, plenty of people are catching the flu.

I'm so tired of dealing with all of this.
RSV is spreading like wildfire as well..
As for me, I only go out to run errands and I always wear a mask and practice social distancing , but I do have teenagers. They have been out with relatives a lot lately, and those relatives don’t behave or share the same beliefs and practices as I do, so all I can do is pray and hope for the best.
I don’t plan to do anything for the holidays.

and just now, as I type this, one of those teens has a temperature… Yikes..

Last edited:

vevster

I caught a cold -- regular degular when I eat too much sugar and stress out. Ran my protocols, tightened up on diet -- I'm good to go. If only I can avoid drinking the Mango Lassi I love.....

I tried something new, I really like the packets of Xlear -- it is salt and Xylitol for the neti pot. The Xylitol kills virus and bacteria... Good stuff

I heard a report that if you wear a mask while sick you concentrate the pathogens, breathing them in deeper.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Look at the pandemic being over. 800 people testing positive in one place must have had little to no impact on the local economies that depend on tourists, the employees who couldn't work, the people who spent money on a vacation that's now a bust or the medical community.

Walk it off people. Walk. It. Off.
Ugh it is happening again. :nono: As a cruiser no me gusta.....

Majestic Princess: cruise ship passengers disembark in Sydney after mass Covid outbreak​

Covid-positive passengers told to stay away from public transport after biggest single outbreak since Ruby Princess
The Majestic Princess

The Majestic Princess Covid outbreak comes after a surge in case numbers across Australia over the past week. Photograph: Xinhua/REX/Shutterstock

Ben Doherty and Martin Farrer
Fri 11 Nov 2022 19.35 EST

The Majestic Princess cruise ship – carrying about 800 Covid-19 positive passengers – has docked in Sydney and passengers have disembarked in the city.
The ship docked at Circular Quay early Saturday morning, having sailed from New Zealand. It will depart Sydney for Melbourne on Saturday afternoon.

The docking of the ship has raised the spectre of the arrival in Sydney of the Ruby Princess in March 2020 – early in Australia’s pandemic – which was ultimately linked to 28 deaths and more than 600 infections, sparking a NSW government special commission of inquiry and a class action case against the operator.
About 4,600 passengers and crew were aboard the Majestic Princess when it docked in Sydney early on Saturday.
People are seen wearing masks on Peoples Day during the Royal Queensland Show at Brisbane Showgrounds
Covid-19 case numbers exploding across Australia as fourth wave takes off
Read more

Advertisement

Operator Princess Cruises said virus patients had been isolating and every passenger had been given a rapid antigen test in the 24 hours before arrival.
Guests who tested positive and chose to stay on the ship were required to isolate for at least five days.
While people with Covid are currently not required to isolate in Australian jurisdictions, it is recommended they stay home while unwell.
Marguerite Fitzgerald, who is president of the Majestic Princess’s parent company, Carnival Australia, said all cases were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic and they had been warned to stay away from public transport.
“Much of this has been in planning for months,” she said. “We always knew that there was a risk that at some point we were going to see a surge in community transmission and that we would then see that on ship.”
Fitzgerald rejected comparisons between the current circumstances and the arrival of the Ruby Princess.
“That is nearly three years ago and, since then, we as a community have learned a lot, a lot more about Covid,” she said.
“We’ve learned what works to help mitigate transmission, we’ve learnt how to keep our vulnerable people safe and it is no different in the cruise industry.”
One passenger disembarking told the ABC the ship’s crew had handled the outbreak onboard carefully.
Advertisement

“It was scary because we heard about it, but of course we tested negative, and the Majestic Princess were really good with the protocols. [We] wore masks for these last seven days and we were very careful when we went ashore.”
The home affairs minister, Clare O’Neil, said NSW Health was the “lead agency for managing how they are going to assist the passengers and deal with disembarkation on a case-by-case basis”.
“I would say that there regular protocols and plays that have arisen out of the Ruby Princess,” O’Neil said.
NSW Health assessed the Covid risk level for the Majestic Princess as “Tier 3” which indicated a high level of transmission. Such “high impact” vessels have “a lot of cases on board (100 or more positive cases per 1,000 people) and/or the vessel is unable to maintain critical services due to staffing or resource shortages”.
The outbreak comes after a surge in case numbers across Australia over the past week – an anticipated “fourth wave” – prompting Queensland to ask residents to mask up in health facilities, indoors and on public transport.

PatDM'T

I caught a cold -- regular degular when I eat too much sugar and stress out. Ran my protocols, tightened up on diet -- I'm good to go. If only I can avoid drinking the Mango Lassi I love.....

I tried something new, I really like the packets of XClear -- it is salt and Xylitol for the neti pot. The Xylitol kills virus and bacteria... Good stuff

I heard a report that if you wear a mask while sick you concentrate the pathogens, breathing them in deeper.
Xylitol does?

It is my favorite
sugar substitute.

I hate Stevia.

Love that Xylitol
tastes like sugar
and is good
for teeth.
This new info
is gold - thanks!

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
ED wait times are horrendous. Kids waiting in the ED for hours for a bed. Kids receiving ICU care on a regular pediatric floor (I had to manage a 12 month old briefly - 5 hours while awaiting transfer - on a general pediatric floor who was on 14L of high flow oxygen :shocked: This amount of oxygen is something that is usually only done in ICUs). Very dangerous.

And when transfers happen they are traveling far. At one hospital I was at, the director told me that they had someone transferred to an ICU in NC. And another to an ICU in FL. I live in MD. :nono:

Essential non emergent surgeries are getting cancelled/rescheduled to make space.

I pray this surge ends soon. It is not sustainable.

Evolving78

ED wait times are horrendous. Kids waiting in the ED for hours for a bed. Kids receiving ICU care on a regular pediatric floor (I had to manage a 12 month old briefly - 5 hours while awaiting transfer - on a general pediatric floor who was on 14L of high flow oxygen :shocked: This amount of oxygen is something that is usually only done in ICUs). Very dangerous.

And when transfers happen they are traveling far. At one hospital I was at, the director told me that they had someone transferred to an ICU in NC. And another to an ICU in FL. I live in MD. :nono:

Essential non emergent surgeries are getting cancelled/rescheduled to make space.

I pray this surge ends soon. It is not sustainable.
Thank you for you service and keeping us posted. It’s really nothing to play out here. I hope people reconsider their holiday plans and travels until we can get this thing under control.

lavaflow99

Thank you for you service and keeping us posted. It’s really nothing to play out here. I hope people reconsider their holiday plans and travels until we can get this thing under control.
:sneakyhug:Thanks!!

It's not a game at all. Very scary and alarming. I'm not that seasoned but been out of training for 13 years and never seen an RSV/flu/other respiratory virus season like this ever :cry3:

yamilee21

Unlike Covid, RSV is also easily transmitted on surfaces. So even if kids went back to wearing masks, it would still spread, though perhaps a bit less. Both of my schooled kids had symptoms consistent with RSV at the end of September; they are extremely vigilant about wearing their N95s but both of their schools have shared equipment, etc., and nobody is sanitizing anything anymore. It was almost as miserable for them as when we had Covid.

Ithacagurl

Dr. A. Oveta Fuller, a member of the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, has died suddenly after a “brief” illness.

Dr. Fuller was instrumental in securing the Emergency Use Authorizations for the three COVID-19 authorizations.
Dr. Fuller also supported adding COVID-19 vaccines to the list of requirements by the CDC for students to attend public school and recommended pregnant women take the injection.

Ithacagurl

No everything is read prior to posting.

I believe that most who repond so negatively may not understand that the postings are not directed at anyone personally, or to their point of view, decisions made or beliefs. I don't believe in calling people stupid nor belittling their beliefs even though I may not agree with them. I didn't like that earlier in this thread another member wanted to share her take on this pandemic from a personal standpoint, but felt she first had to put out a disclaimer stating that she didn't want to go into any debates with anyone about her decision not to vaccinate, etc.... I commended her for her bravery.

I do believe that the purpose of this thread is to be a safe place for those who may have opposing views to feel free to post any news, tips, etc...regarding Covid-19, mRNAs, Mandates, mRNA injuries, immunity boosting, alternative medicines besides the mRNA, covid-19 treatments, etc....without being jumped on and scrutinized at almost every turn. Members should feel free to post without being attacked for their post and not have to constantly defend their beliefs, decisons made, posts shared, etc...or go into hiding (no longer willing to post in this thread)

I believe that there are other members who would like to share and contribute to this thread their beliefs, personal experiences, news, etc..., but don't because of the vitriol.
I work for my local health department and for awhile the people hospitalized are those who have received like 5 vaccines.

Evolving78

:sneakyhug:Thanks!!

It's not a game at all. Very scary and alarming. I'm not that seasoned but been out of training for 13 years and never seen an RSV/flu/other respiratory virus season like this ever :cry3:
RSV- that’s what my child with fever had going on. DD is out of the woods and feeling better. Nobody else has gotten it. I cleaned and bleached down everything I could.

lavaflow99

RSV- that’s what my child with fever had going on. DD is out of the woods and feeling better. Nobody else has gotten it. I cleaned and bleached down everything I could.
So happy that your kiddo recovered and is doing much better :yep:

The newest issue? No children's Tylenol/Motrin in stores :nono: I had a mother tell me when I worked on Tuesday she couldn't find Motrin and I was like what? Thought maybe it was just the store she went to. When I was doing some last minute grocery shopping on Wednesday, I decided to check out the pharmacy. In the fever reducer aisle, I saw 2 bottles of generic Tylenol. That's it. :shocked:

Then heard it on the local news that same day about the shortage. So so bad....

BrownBetty

Everyone is catching the flu. I know 5 people that currently have the flu. One was in urgent care due to them having trouble breathing.

Covid is still raging... I know another person who never had it who just caught it. They were living their best life traveling over the last 2 weeks.

I've avoided large events trying to be safer. I missed a couple of friendsgivings because too many people were invited. No safety protocols in place either e.g. please test before attending... nothing.

It is hard to believe we are in this place of folks just not caring.

yamilee21

^^^ If there can be a “bright side” to all this, one of the reasons cases of mpox (monkeypox) have decreased so much is because the initial symptoms often mimic a very bad case of Covid (fever, extreme fatigue, severe cold symptoms). People generally feel so awful that they immediately begin isolating of their own accord. (The downside is that many don’t go get tested for mpox until after 4-8 days of illness, when their “Covid” doesn’t get better and/or they develop skin lesions, so they aren’t getting antivirals early enough to keep them from getting quite sick.)